Life Blood

Life Blood

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  398 ratings  ·  60 reviews
It lies hidden deep in the mist-shrouded rain forest of Central America.

A place where a brilliant doctor fulfills dreams for some – and creates chilling nightmares for others.

Now, filmmaker Morgan James is about to journey straight into the heart of a dark conspiracy.

Where a bizarre human experiment comes at a terrible price, and where she may be the next to pay with her ....more
Published August 19th 2010 by Smashwords Edition (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Life Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life Blood

Kristin
I read another of Hoover's ebooks, 'Syndrome', a while ago and really liked it, so when I saw this one available, I was eager to check it out. Unfortunately, it didn't hold my interest like 'Syndrome' and as I worked towards finishing it the last couple days, I realized I really didn't care how it ended.
In the story, Morgan is a filmmaker trying to balance work on what may be her feature film debut with the heartbreak of being unable to conceive with her longtime boyfriend, who consequently deci...more
Karen
I read this on my Kindle. It's not the easiest to read as SO many words are hyphenated in error and I found this so infuriating. Also the Chapter number was at the bottom of some pages with the chapter beginning on next page, whole book badly edited for e-reading.

I love medical thrillers. But... This wasn't the best by a long shot.
Morgy a film producer wants to get pregnant and hears about Children of Light, where a woman looking to adopt can have a baby within a couple of months for the sum o...more
DarthGonzo
Got this free for my amazon kindle. It started well and drew my in with the storyline and mix of characters. It seemed to fall away for me around three quarters of the way through. Whilst I appreciate it's fiction it just started to get silly in terms of our heroine seemingly being able to do anything despite what odds were against her. I found myself reading the last few chapters quick to try and finish the book and move on. Shame. Cant complain for free though.
I decided to read this book because I like medical thrillers. While, I enjoyed the book a bit, a lots of the events in the book are just impossible. Morgy also kept making such stupid decisions.

Like really??? Ya'll don't know how 3rd world countries work? You're going to be Rambo and go by yourself without really informing anyone in the states about your "mission" to Guatemala?

Who invites their SO to a place surrounded by military forces. This book was so unrealistic. If you can get past that, i...more
Desley (Cat fosterer)
This is about a woman who desperately wants a baby, and is shooting a documentary about adoption. She then stumbles upon a mystery.

In principle, I liked the idea of this story, which is why I persevered, but there are a lot of issues that wouldn't take much to fix (a lot of words like th-is), that really take you away from the story, and did drop it from a 3 star to a 2 star. It also seemed to be very slow in places, with people doing rather odd things.

I would like to give this author another...more
Howard
In a word awful. I only managed to get around 20% through this book which is pretty poor. It was incredibly annoying to read. Thomas Hoover I can only assume is a man yet he has chosen to write a female character for his lead and do it in the first person. excellent if you can get into the psyche of the character and make the reader believe she is a real person. Unfortunately 'she' just comes across as a man writing a female character by the numbers, not only that but the way she speaks and thin...more
Dale Ibitz
Morgan Smyth James is a 38 year-old movie-maker who wants one thing: a baby. The problem is, she's invested years, time and money into the baby-making process, yet the cries she hears in the nursery are only in her dreams. So she sets off to make a movie about adoption, whereby she falls into a spiraling whirlpool of deceipt, betrayal, and conspiracy involving smarmy doctors and foreign military thugs.

I liked the charachter, Morgan, and though he doesn't play a largely active role in the book, I...more
J.D. Hughes
I rather enjoyed this novel. The central character was believable and the references to documentary filmaking accurate (I was a doc maker). Secondary characters were less well dealt with, but the mad doctor antagonist was sufficiently greedy and insane, without being a stereotype, to maintain interest in the conflict. Dialogue was good. The premise - without spoiling the plot - was topical, interesting and well defined: I was left in no doubt what was happening although the twists were fairly ea...more
Adrienne Campbell
A great freebie for my Nook!

Thomas Hoover's novel about the difficulties of pregnancy leading to desperate procedures. Enter the alternative medicine pregnancy guru who claims he can perform a miracle if you will only participate in his "program" located in the jungles of Guatamala. Otherwise he will provide you with a beautiful baby to adopt (nevermind they all look alike) for a mere 60K.

Something about this sounds fishy to a film maker desperate to be a mother and dealing with her own person...more
Sara
Summary: Pinnacle 2000 New York filmmaker Morgan James is about to journey straight into the heart of a dark conspiracy, hidden deep in the mist-shrouded Maya rain forest of Central America, where a bizarre human experiment (including a baby factory) comes at a terrible price. In Vitro, Independent Film, Adoption, Fertility, Human Eggs, Guatemala, Peten, Maya, Mayan Pyramid, Vision Serp

Review: I found this book outstanding. It's very long but so good. Morgan, I adored her, and she went through h...more
As I read it I kept thinking it would make a great movie. Keep me wanting more.
Janet Lira
A suspenseful easy read.
Glenda Breaux
This book got interesting at the end, but not enough to make up for how long it took to get there. This story could have been told in at least 100 fewer Nook pages. The characters were also not very cimoelling although the author went overboard trying to build sone connection. I was looking for more of a medical thriller with technical sophistication, but as a woman of similar age and ambition, I did like the ending (even with the major questions I was left hanging on.)
Kristie Scarle
Hmm...not sure what to say about this book. I guessed what was happening early on, didn't really like the story, but actually had to keep reading until I finished it late last night.

There was a lot of 'as if' moments, which I wouldn't expect so much unless I was reading chick lit.

Apart from that it still left my pretty uneasy - which is normally the sign of a good book. But maybe it was the subject matter I was uneasy about, rather than the book itself.
Nicole
This started out extremely slow for me because I found the author was trying to provide you with too much plot background. And at the sametime introduce you to too many characters; many of whom really didn't have a main purpose to the storyline. Once you get through the first third of the book the story picks up very quickly. And I could see why this was toted as a "terrifying medical thriller in the bestselling tradition of Michael Crichton and Robin Cook".
Marie
Mystery, started out good.. about woman making a documentary about adoptions who interviews a woman who adopts a blonde blue eyed baby boy in less than 4 months when every other agengy takes a year or longer... the place she adopted from is a "new age" fertility clinic... I was enjoying the read until it described an IVF procedure.. and it was obvious the author DID NOT do his research... anyways, from that point on it was way too predictable.
Ciaran
Hoover's Life Blood is like opening your refrigerator will your most exquisite delights inside. With every chapter satisfying all the senses leaving you wanting more, with a shock twist to leave you to re-think your morale's and beliefs. I particularly enjoyed the writing style as it was easy to pick up and hard to put down,
The only criticism I found was over hyphenating words to create new words out of them, but on the hold brilliant
Peggy Holloway
I almost gave up on this book and it did take quite a few pages before it got into the good stuff. Once it got going, I had to keep reading and would even think about the plot when I wasn't reading the book. I would read more by this author. What an imagination. I kept thinking that a woman wrote this book and I found it intriguing how a man could think like a woman. This author must be a very sensitive man to be able to do that.
Katy H
Have you ever read a book and the almost the entire time thought "Why is this main character so STUPID?!" That sort of applies here. I wanted to like Morgan - and sometimes I did - but mostly I kept wondering what the heck she was doing. Of course, if I were in her situation, I'd likely act similarly. I suppose to sum up I'd have to say I liked Syndrome more, but this was still interesting/engaging.
Erika

I downloaded it as a free eBook for my Nook. It was perfect for what I wanted, a light summer read. I might have been more disappointed if I had purchased the book as opposed to a freebie. It does take a little while to get to the thrilling moments, but if you like medical type thrillers and just want something light to read this is your book.
Martha
Well, you'd think I'd learn from reading the first one but both were free. Another medical type thriller about fertility and adoption. Again, heroine who isn't exactly brilliant and continues to place herself in a position where she gets in bad situations. Silly heroine. I don't believe I'll read another one of these even if it's free.
Gordon Howard
For me, the ending of this book was the best part. At several places in the book I found myself sitting back and saying "what is wrong with her?" because of actions taken by the main character that just didn't make sense. Overall, the book held my attention but not enough that I would go off looking for more books by the same author.
Melba
Jul 02, 2013 Melba rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Suspense/thriller lovers
I really enjoyed this book, and it was truly engrossing. The twists & turns throughout kept me hanging on, and I couldn't wait to see what happened next. I love reading suspense/thrillers, and this was a perfect example of that - with a bit of science thrown in. It is well worth the read, and I wanted to read it faster than I did.
Tiera Kawaiola
Above all else, this book was entirely too long, and it took a lot of effort for me to really get into it. But the trade off was an intriguing story, though I don't know if the reveal was all it hoped to be. I also found it interesting that the author, Thomas Hoover, wrote from a female first person perspective.
Debbie
Had potential. The premise of the story was good, catchy, but there's something about a main character perpetually acting stupidly and making bad decisions that puts me off. Also some parts had entirely too much detail while others left you grasping for more which made for a frustrating read.
Lesli
Terrible read. The author flips the narrator from informal chat to first person pov about every other page. Flagrant inability to shift from one topic to another...he uses "anyway" instead. Overall, the book was clunky, the characters were clunky. Some free ebooks shouldn't be downloaded. *sighs*
Hillary
Good book, great premiss but something felt off in the writing. The main character was too nonchalant in times of crisis. She was able to carry on everyday conversations and even be witty at times when her life was in danger. It kind of took some of the suspense away for me.
Shane
very slow read. it never really grabbed my attention, wanting me to keep reading. I think this book has taken me the longest to read because I could never really get into the character or stay focused. it seemed like it took forever to get to the real story in the book
Orlando
Kinda disapointed in the ending of this book.... The whole book gives vage details... Then the end just leaves off "okay", but there are things that aren't cleared up... Going to try another book (Syndrome) by Thomas Hoover and see if it's any better...
Annette
2 stars only because I was able to finish it. The main character acts like an IDIOT throughout the whole book and it gets very annoying. Also, the writing is overly detailed at times and rushed at other times. At least it was free on my Nook!
  • The Vanishing
  • The Glades
  • Ransom X (A Legacy Mystery #1)
  • After Dark
  • Hysteria
  • Golde the Mother (Lost Tales of Mercia, #1)
  • Mortal Ghost
  • Soul Identity (Soul Identity, #1)
  • From the Ashes
  • The Value of Life
  • Clearwater Journals
  • One Deadly Sister (Sandy Reid Mysteries, #1)
  • Perfect Crime
  • County Line
  • Jailbird
  • Dawn of Avalon (Twilight of Avalon, #0.5)
  • Final Vector
  • The Labyrinth
Thomas Hoover has a doctorate in oceanography and served as senior vice president of an architect-engineering firm in New York, where he has lived for several decades. His vices include being an avid sailor and a recognized collector of the classical music of India. He began his writing career with two classic non-fiction books on Far Eastern art and religion and then moved into fiction writing wi...more
More about Thomas Hoover...
Syndrome Caribbee The Moghul The Zen Experience Samurai Strategy