Christmas in Harmony: A Harmony Story (Harmony, #4)

Christmas in Harmony: A Harmony Story (Harmony #4)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  777 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Philip Gulley takes us to Harmony, Indiana, at Christmastime as inspiration strikes the inimitable Dale Hinshaw. Always looking for a way to increase the church's profit margins, Hinshaw brainstorms a progressive nativity scene that will involve the whole town, complete with a map like those for the Hollywood stars. Neither Pastor Sam Gardner nor the other members of the H...more
Published October 15th 2002 by HarperOne (first published October 1st 2002)

Michelle
Ok Christmas read. Some zany local characters keep it a little interesting. Good example of how Christmas can get out of control and the message lost. It doesn't the heart and enlightenment of a Christmas Box.
Paula
A sweet book, perfect for seating by the fireplace. Plus, it reminds you to be patient with those who can be annoying during the holiday.
Whitney
The best so far of a good series -- both wry and heart-warming. Reminds me a lot of Jan Karon's Mitford.
Annika
Christmas comes to Harmony Friends, and the usual townfolk are all here, Dale and his big ideas for spreading the Gospel to the unwashed masses, Fern with her righteous and holy reasonings for not sharing her pew or straying from any tradition once put forth by her grandmother, the good, the strict, and the gentle.

This is a much shorter, faster read than the other harmony series...shouldn't take more than an afternoon of reading. Nothing heavy, but plenty of sweet moments packed into a few short...more
Stacey
I have warm fuzzy feelings just thinking about this book. It is a perfect Christmas "cup of cocoa."

In the book, the quaker church is sponsering a live nativity. My sister was here today (to see my husband in our church musicale. He was a shepherd, --Needless to say, the performance moved me to tears and violent inappropriate shaking during a church service)---but we were reminicsing about our experience with live nativites.

I have only seen one, when we lived in a small town in the Netherlands--...more
Aleisha
"My wife, modest and traditional, argues for reserve, while I, having witnessed the pain of unspoken love, elect to splurge. It is, I believe, in keeping with the season. God could have sent a lawyer who would scrupulously define the limits of love. Instead, he went for broke, and sent a child with whom He was well pleased. And had the good sense to tell him so. Christmas, I tell my wife, is not the time to hold back. It is the bold stroke, the song in the silence, the red hat in a gray-suit wor...more
Dan Smith
Short book about Christmas in this fictional town.. How different people try to change traditions... lighthearted and funny.
Barbara
The author, Philip Gulley, is a Quaker minister. This novel is about a church in the small town of Harmony planning to do a live nativity at Christmas time instead of their traditional Christmas Eve service. It's filled with a lot of interesting characters who are members of the church. Some of them are truly "characters."

It is a nice book to read by the fireplace if you are looking for something short, sweet and light to read - that will also make you smile! I would read another one in the ser...more
AngelaGay Kinkead
When this book arrived in the mail, it appeared to be a quick read in 7 chapters so I threw it in the car when I started my drive to Kansas. Started reading it aloud to my mother and brother, once a day following either lunch or supper, depending on my brother's schedule -- ending this evening, Christmas Eve. One chapter a day -- our small family together, a common experience, smiles, the occasional tear, and comments about "knowing" those characters and situations from a life-time of church-fam...more
I love this funny, sweet and gentle series about basically good hearted small town folk.
Debbie
I always make it a point to read one Christmas book during my holiday vacation. This one, written by a Quaker minister and accomplished author, was a blend of small town charm and humor reminiscent of A Christmas Story. My usual idea of a perfect Christmas story is one that fills my head with traditional Christmas hope and love, mostly to detract from what I usually see at Christmastime. This book did a little of that, but it mostly had me laughing. It was quick to read and an easy lesson that h...more
Karen
Jul 10, 2012 Karen added it
If you can read this book without laughing until your sides ache, God bless you. This book is one of the most HILARIOUS books I have ever read. I love the series Gulley has written about the town of Harmony. Yet, I believe this is my favorite of the series. Absolutely spot on with the portrayal of small town/small church life. Do not miss this book. Your book club will thank you - and it will be the best medicine you ever read!
Kristin
Every year at Christmas, I read books I would normally not read. I do this because Christmas books in my library tend to be of the genre of book that does not thrill me for the rest of the year (that is to say, overly religious and sickeningly sweet). This was one of those. It is a story of a small-town Quaker minister and his town of quirky characters. Right, that about covers it.
Greg Rothenberger
A short, simple book, but one I enjoy every time I read it. It's slowly becoming a traditional part of my own Christmas. The craziness of Dale Hinshaw's progressive nativity scene, the church infighting, looking for the perfect gift (a toaster) and the perfect tree (got to have vertical integrity), it's all good. Harmony is the hometown I've never had.
Fred Kohn
This really isn't a book I should have liked at all. No real plot or character development to speak of; no deep message. But I LOL'd so many times that I would be seriously amiss if I did not rate this book highly.
Erika B. (Snogging on Sunday Books)
A must read every Christmas! One of my absolute favorites!

Reread 12/24/2011
O how I adore this book! I read it every Christmas eve! I get sucked in to the lives of the quirky characters and the hilarious lives they lead! I love it!

Reread 12/24/2012
Keeping the tradition alive with this magical, hilarious book! I love it every year! :-)
Melissa
Gulley's sense of humor in capturing the characters of small town America is a fun read. The fictitious town of Harmony, Indiana comes alive with all kinds of hilarious situations with the young pastor scrambling to keep the peace during the Christmas season.
Lyndi
Kathy
What a sweet little book! If you've ever lived in a small town (or even wished you could), this book will tickle your funny-bone, at the same time it warms your heart. Eccentric characters, odd situations, heart-felt friendships--all explored with faith and love.
Alice
Jan 12, 2013 Alice added it
This is an entertaining little book and quick to read. It's not my favorite Gulley book, but enjoyable and inspiring.
I still chuckle when I think of the goose visiting the hardware store. It's all in the life of a Quaker pastor, I guess. Thumbs up!
Cara Kelly Merrill
I really enjoyed this little book. The characters and small town setting seemed very realistic...even the off-the-wall humor and events that took place. I could see things like this happening in my area of the world. lol Fun, quick read!
Sharon Goss
Entertaining. Funny. Quick read. Considered christian fiction, but more about ordinary people in a small community and the crazy things that happen in that environment. The characters are great. Gulley is a fantastic story teller.
Patti
The Christmas program and the church ladies' dilemma with the cookies - classic! Just love Phil Gulley's books. I read several of them to my 84-year-old dad in his last year of life. He loved them, too.
Caroline
What a hilarious view of small town life. I'd love to find the other two books by this author Home to Harmony and Shy of Harmony. If they are anything like this one, they will be a fun read.
Pam
11/20/05 #205
TITLE/AUTHOR: CHRISTMAS IN HARMONY by Philip Gulley
RATING: 4/B
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PAGES: Holiday Novella, 2002, 84 pgs
COMMENTS: Amusing, pleasant and quick holiday read.

Roberta
My 2nd "inspirational" fiction of 2005. It was light, would be perfect around the holidays. I didn't get much out of the 84 pages, but it was a nice little story.
Jenifer
This is one of my favorite series. I love the humor and the funny characters. I see them repeated in my ward and in my family/friends. It is hilarious.
Dawn Michelle

A lovely little book in the Harmony series. Set at Christmas time, it is a great reminder of what really matters in our lives. Lovely, quick read!!
Beth
Yes, another cliche' Christmas story - but it got my mother-in-law reading again, and I'm grateful! Read it for what it's worth. Just for fun!
Becca
Read for the Winter Holidays Reading Challenge.

This was a cute and funny story of a small town Christmas under the influence of the town kook.
  • The Christmas Angel (Cape Light #6)
  • A Miracle for St. Cecilia's
  • Dandelions in a Jelly Jar
  • Finding Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #1)
  • Shepherds Abiding (Mitford Years, #8)
  • Miss Julia Hits the Road (Miss Julia, #4)
  • The Christmas Blessing (Christmas Hope, #2)
  • The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Decked Out
  • The Paper Bag Christmas
  • The Christmas Tree
  • Dearest Dorothy, Are We There Yet? (Dearest Dorothy, #1)
  • The Welcome Committee of Butternut Creek: A Novel
Philip Gulley has become the voice of small-town American life. Along with writing Front Porch Tales, Hometown Tales, and For Everything a Season, Gulley is the author of the Harmony series of novels, as well as If Grace Is True and If God Is Love, which are coauthored with James Mulholland.

He hosts "Porch Talk with Phil Gulley" on the Indiana PBS affiliate WFYI television's flagship show Across I...more
More about Philip Gulley...
Home to Harmony (Harmony, #1) Just Shy of Harmony (Harmony, #2) If Grace Is True: Why God Will Save Every Person (Grace Series, #1) Signs and Wonders: A Harmony Novel (Harmony, #3) Life Goes On: A Harmony Novel (Harmony, #5)