Start by marking “Web Analytics: An Hour a Day” as Want to Read:
Web Analytics: An Hour a Day

Web Analytics: An Hour a Day

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  836 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Written by an in-the-trenches practitioner, this step-by-step guide shows you how to implement a successful Web analytics strategy. Web analytics expert Avinash Kaushik, in his thought-provoking style, debunks leading myths and leads you on a path to gaining actionable insights from your analytics efforts. Discover how to move beyond clickstream analysis, why qualitative d ...more
Published June 5th 2007 by Sybex (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Web Analytics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Web Analytics

Content Strategy for the Web by Kristina HalvorsonHTML5 for Web Designers by Jeremy KeithDesigning with Web Standards by Jeffrey ZeldmanWeb Form Design by Luke WroblewskiBulletproof Web Design by Dan Cederholm
An Event Apart
14th out of 44 books — 26 voters
Don't Make Me Think! by Steve KrugThe Elements of User Experience by Jesse James GarrettAbout Face 3 by Alan CooperWeb Form Design by Luke WroblewskiLean UX by Jeff Gothelf
UX bookshelf
41st out of 55 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Martinxo
A superb introduction to web analytics. This book has completely changed the way I look at this increasingly important part of my job as a web manager.

Kaushik writes well and is clearly very passionate about his work. All profits from the book go to charity!
Terry
I wanted to like this book. The author seems jovial, the proceeds go to a good cause, and it seemed to harbor an iterative approach to understanding this topic.

That said, the book is CRAP. The author rambles on and on and on. I lose my train of thought. It is like he is high on caffeine and chatting out the side of his head. The table of contents seems to indicate some organization, but get in the weeds reading the pages and he flits all over the place.

The tone is pithy and shallow. "Call IT" wh
Steve Walker
Forget page hits, unique visitors, and all the other sought after wed site statistics and find out how users are really using your site, what is working, and what is not. This was an eye opener for me. As manager of a large web site I thought I knew what I was doing using analytic software such as WebTrends and Google Analytics. I only had half the picture. I was focused on the wrong things.

Mr Kaushik is clearly enthusiastic about what he does. What could be dry reading is thoroughly enjoyable
Carrie
This book seemed a bit long to me. I think the concept of trying to break up this complex subject into smaller bits is a nice idea, but what it seemed to do in practice is to drag the book out more. I did get some good ideas and information from this book, though there were a lot of parts of the book that didn't apply to me. This book definitely assumes that you have greater control over the website you are trying to analyze and have at least some level of influence over the business (i.e. the w ...more
Sebastian Giano
What a great informative insight into the inner workings of the internet and how it can be used to further business relationships and increase revenue streams. This book is a must read for all the internet marketers out there, take your game to the next level. This book contains breakdowns of how and when to use web analytics to best fit your online operations. Very informative, highly recommended.
Steve
Shockingly fantastic book. The hands-on stuff is useful and practical. The theory seems spot-on. The context is great. Avinash Kaushik does a great job capturing web analytics and all of the ancillary issues related to implementation, and does so in a readable, engaging way.

You read so much garbage about analytics. It's so refreshing to read something so smart and nuanced.
gramakri
A fairly comprehensive book on Web Analytics written in a very easy to understand manner. I strongly recommend it to anyone who wants to develop a good understanding of web analytics.
More details @
Cameron
Oct 29, 2007 Cameron rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with an online business
This is far and away the best analytics or SEM book I have ever read. Really incredible stuff by a guy who is smart and funny. This is accessible to anyone no matter what their level and is really, really outstanding.
Francis Bacon
Clear and passionate dissection of web analytics with a solid theoretical underpinning. Slightly repetitive in parts but it's worth it to get a handle on this important subject.
Miro Nguyen
Thorough guides to web analytics but hard to follow and too complicated to understand. Since the book was written in 2005, it doesn't provide up-to-date solutions.
Liz
This book has some great advice, but the time frame he says you can complete these projects are way off, especially for bigger companies with lots of politics
Oguz Bayram
It is a little bit theoretical book with less practice. Even some subtle details given, its unnecessary high volume is something boring
Sara S.
Essential reference for those of us engaged in the wild world of web analytics (and most of us are, whether we know it yet or not)
A little dated, but a good overview of Web analytics and guidelines for how to get the most out of a Web site.
Carl-Johan Hunefalk
Apr 24, 2008 Carl-Johan Hunefalk rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Internet professionals
Excellent starting point for Internet professionals with limited knowledge and experience with web analytics.
Paul Dyb
A simple question, "So what?" will change the way you look at web analytics.
Joel Katz
Don't waste your time you should go for the second web Analytics right away
Tom
Great definition and an very actionable plan
Bellamy
my grandma is loving you
Jill
Jill added it
Mar 28, 2015
Igor Shevchenko
Igor Shevchenko marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Ucizzle
Ucizzle marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Nil
Nil marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Huan Dinh
Huan Dinh marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Principles of Statistics
  • Landing Page Optimization: The Definitive Guide to Testing and Tuning for Conversions
  • Advanced Web Metrics with Google Analytics
  • Hiring Smart!: How to Predict Winners and Losers in the Incredibly Expensive People-Reading Game
  • It's Not about the Money: Unlock Your Money Type to Achieve Spiritual and Financial Abundance
  • The McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Course in Finance for Non-Financial Managers
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • Green to Gold: How Smart Companies Use Environmental Strategy to Innovate, Create Value, and Build Competitive Advantage
  • Always Be Testing: The Complete Guide to Google Website Optimizer
  • Work Less, Live More: The Way to Semi-Retirement
  • Letting Go of the Words: Writing Web Content that Works
Web Analytics 2.0: The Art of Online Accountability & Science of Customer Centricity [With CDROM] Hey Marketers, Get Your Priorities Straight: Setting Marketing Communication Priorities at Startups, Small Businesses, and Non-Profits Internet Marketing: An Hour a Day Digital Metrics Playbook: Measuring Your Online Branding Strategies