Start by marking “Fulgrim” as Want to Read:
Fulgrim

Fulgrim (The Horus Heresy #5)

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  4,127 Ratings  ·  177 Reviews
It is the 31st millennium, and humanity is at the peak of its powers. As the Great Crusade, led by Warmaster Horus, continues to conquer the galaxy, Fulgrim, Primarch of the Emperor’s Children, leads his warriors into battle against a vile alien foe. From the blood of this campaign are sown the seeds that will lead this proud Legion to treachery, taking them down the darke ...more
Published July 31st 2007 by Games Workshop (first published July 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Fulgrim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fulgrim

Keamy Loken
Aug 08, 2012 Keamy Loken rated it it was amazing
Well other teenage girls obsess vampires or werewolves and are busy making their babies, I was busy making babies with pre-heresy Emperor's Children. (I don't think I'd live through it all after heresy...or it wouldn't matter.)

OK that off my mind, amazing book! Possibly a few spoilers.
Things I liked:

1. Fulgrim's personality. Reminds me of my younger sister, only she's probably not gonna fall for a demon sword talking to her.

2. Fulgrim's fall to chaos was well done, I once had a warhammer 40k fr
Robert
Jun 22, 2011 Robert rated it really liked it
After a near-perfect run up until now, the fifth book In the Horus Heresy begins to show some cracks, chiefly around Graham McNeill's biggest stumbling block; Characterisation. At a whopping 512 pages, this is a story which is in no hurry to be told which would not be a problem if there was a central character to cling onto, instead there's absolutely no-one to match up to the previous books' heroes so we're stuck with Fulgrim. For 512 pages.
The further problem with the Emperor's Children as a l
Gianfranco Mancini

The tale of the fall to Slaanesh of the III Legion is not just a book.

It is a tragedy, an epic and morbid tale about brotherhood, weakness, corruption, depravity and betrayal with echoes from Oscar Wilde's "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and Michael Moorcock's "Stormbringer" (Graham McNeill's love for Elric was already shown for good in his fantasy books, but here is just over the top).
Still one of the best Horus Heresy novels after years, and my second read was far good than first one.
Great charac
David Guymer
Aug 18, 2016 David Guymer rated it really liked it
Similar to The Flight of the Eisenstein, which came before, Fulgrim begins some way prior to where the preceding novels ended, around the time of False Gods I believe, this time exploring the build-up to the Heresy from the perspective of the Emperor's Children.

This book achieved a number of spectacular things:

1) it gave me just a smidgeon of sympathy for Lord Commander Eidolon
2) those rather silly sonic weapons now seem perfectly sensible
3) the Emperor's Children are now number one in my Chapt
Amanda
Jul 06, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Well now... I enjoyed Graham McNeill's last outing in the Horus Heresy (False Gods), although found the pacing a little uneven at times. Fulgrim, for me, shows a writer with an enormous amount of confidence. McNeill has improved immeasurably on False Gods, and presents a novel that is truly epic in scope.

Fulgrim is structured brilliantly. We're shown the Emperor's Children before the fall - an exceptionally proud Legion searching for perfection in everything. There are strong characters showcase
Troy
Oct 11, 2007 Troy rated it did not like it
Shelves: wh40k
I really tried to like this book but for me it had a lot of things going against it. I've never been a big fan of Graham McNeill but I thought he did a good job with "False Gods". In Fulgrim nothing works for me. I think this book is about Fulgrim's fall into Chaos but since Fulgrim and the other Emperor's Children (with the exception of Saul Tarvitz) have been depicted as arrogant pricks in the previous stories they are not sympathetic characters. Without sympathetic characters this "fall from ...more
Brian
Jan 06, 2010 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, warhammer-40k
Dylan Murphy
When I first read Fulgrim a few years ago, it cemented itself as my favourite book of all time. Reading it again in the glorious hardcover collector's edition complete with some awesome(and some ok) internal artwork as well as an author afterword was just as amazing as I remember.

The novel focuses on the Emperor's Children's fall to Slaanesh. The Emperor's Children just happen to my my all time favourite Legion and Warband(s) and Slaanesh is my Chaos God(dess) of choice! So naturally just based
Aske
Unfortunately for the Horus Heresy series this is where it really starts to repeat itself. While The Flight of the Eisenstein was just the same story as in the previous books, it was still fresh because it was the first time we really stepped out of the established characters and followed some one totally new who really comes into his own at the end of the story. The plot and the writing was also good enough for it to still feel new.

Fulgrim, however, feels very much like the same story just told
Bart Tredway
Jul 26, 2009 Bart Tredway rated it it was amazing
I am really having a hard time believing that so many people didn't like this book. While i can understand the perspective of others that said that this installment of the Horus Heresy series was "formulaic" and were otherwise disappointed in this book, i really think that this book is where the series evolves from a "shoot-'em-up" and intrigue-driven storyline, to unmask the truly sublime forces which are driving the entire Horus Heresy itself. Graham McNeill is at his very best here, being abl ...more
Marko
Nov 15, 2012 Marko rated it it was amazing
The perfect brother falls...

We have struggled for months to accomplish this task on our own when it should have been clear that we could not. In all things we strive to eradicate weakness, but it is not weakness to ask for help, my brothers. It is weakness to deny that help is needed.

Julius laughed and said, ‘Get some sleep, Solomon, you understand? Or did that crash scramble your brains too?’ ‘Sleep?’ said Solomon, slumping back onto the bed. ‘I’ll sleep when I’m dead.’

(...) a truth that is tol
Richard Stuart
Sep 01, 2012 Richard Stuart rated it really liked it
Shelves: 40k-horus-heresy
This book accomplishes a lot. It is epic in its scope and torrid in its style. It is an account of weakness, seduction, and depravity. It gives context to a great many things that will lead to a great many more things more terrible than these...

Fulgrim is really a tragedy. While striving for perfection, he and his legion are struck low by a subtle evil unbeknownst to them. What bothers me is that Fulgrim didn't understand the idea that perfection is a 'concept' not a reality; it is an adjective
Chris Youngblood
While formulaic and somewhat slow in getting to the meaty stuff, this book eventually becomes a good representation of the world of the Warhammer 40K wargame in fiction form.

Dealing with the Horus Heresy as first developed within that game system, the book tells of the downfall of and betrayal by the Emperor's Children, one of the Chapters of Space Marines that guard the galaxy against enemy incursions.

While characterizations, plot points, and details are nothing to crow about, the book itself
Alexander Draganov
Feb 22, 2015 Alexander Draganov rated it really liked it
Really torn between giving this four stars or five, but this time I have decided not be generous, mainly because of the ending, which seems to contradict other sources of lore and the beginning, which is way to sluggish. Nevertheless this was a strong, insanely epic novel with some of the greatest scenes of action and of corruption I have read in the genre. Fulgrim is also probably the best character in the HH series so far. Overall, a great book which will please fans of the epic and savage tal ...more
~*x-vixen-x-of-x-your-dreams-x*~
Oh my god, the best of the horus heresy series so far. Everytime I read this (about 3 times now in last few months) I anxiously await the "Maraviglia"....read it trust me. This explains how Fulgrim (Primarch of the Emperors Children Space Marines), and his legion fall the the chaos influence of Slaanesh. It also gives more background on Lucius (later Lucious the Enternal), Fabius Bile (evil apothecary of the chapter), and Eidolon.
Alain Dewitt
Jun 04, 2012 Alain Dewitt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I like the plot, the setting and the action, but the writing style is really starting to get on my nerves. I've mentioned this in previous reviews of volumes in this series, but the constant use of superlatives is really getting on my nerves. It makes the writing melodramatic and over the top. If everyone is perfect and everything is epic, then nothing is. Good thing these are quick reads.
Neil
Aug 25, 2013 Neil rated it really liked it
Good novel. Kind of lost its way in parts but the ending makes up for it.
Normkompatibel
Jul 27, 2015 Normkompatibel rated it liked it
synopsis:
Eldrad Ulthran: FULGRIM NO
Fulgrim: FULGRIM YES
Dave
May 03, 2015 Dave rated it really liked it
I’ve reviewed some of The Black Library’s “Warhammer 40,000” novels here before. I’ve talked about how I’m addicted to them and they’re a fun mash up of elements from “Star Wars,” “Dune,” the works of H.P. Lovecraft, and Tolkein style fantasy that have a heavy metal visual aesthetic and often feature morally gray themes. If you like all that stuff do yourself a favor and check out some of those books. They take place in a fascinating and well constructed dystopian sci-fi fantasy universe.

What I
Weary
Feb 09, 2017 Weary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good protagonists are made by crafting worthy adversaries. Reducing the Galaxy's oldest "surviving" overlord race to the role of punching bag, and having your "hero" kill off his nonliving, made of molten metal, splinter of an actual god of war foe, by choking him, is terrifically bad writing.
Johnny Matthews
Nov 26, 2016 Johnny Matthews rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Things get pretty dark in this, the 5th book of the Horus Heresy. This book was a little slower read than some of the others but gets really intense in the second half of the book.
Daleios
Nov 09, 2016 Daleios rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-read
(view spoiler) ...more
Angel
Mar 01, 2013 Angel rated it really liked it
Shelves: science_fiction
The fall of Fulgrim, the Primarch of the Emperor's Children legion, is tragic and quite dramatic. It is a descent into madness driven by dark forces for a figure that was brilliant and good for starters. And like a good tragedy, you know that there is no stopping the fates once they get going.

Fulgrim is the Primarch of the Emperor's Children, one of the legions of the Emperor of Mankind fighting in the Great Crusade to unify the worlds of men. The Emperor's Children pride themselves in their pu
Nick
Sep 27, 2014 Nick rated it did not like it
In retrospect, the warning signs should have been obvious about this book:

- The back declares that it follows the Emperor's Children in the buildup to the bombing of Isstvan III, events that have already been covered twice in five books - once in the initial trilogy and one book ago in Flight of the Eisenstein. (Although this book does go a little further into the following events of Isstvan V.)

- The book starts out not with a bang, but with a Remembrancer giving a concert that goes on for pages
Michael T Bradley
Jan 15, 2014 Michael T Bradley rated it liked it
Rounding out the kind of core starting five books of the Horus Heresy line we have Graham McNeill's "Fulgrim." I have mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, McNeill certainly gives us what he does best: slow, creeping horror spread over the lives of intriguing characters. He makes Space Marines feel three-dimensional, and uses regular humans for great effect, as comparison and contrast. On the other hand, this book is ALSO kind of a "fill-in-the-gaps" as far as the core Horus Heresy books ...more
Bob Cline
This is the fifth book of the Horus Heresy.

The first section is The Perfect Warrior. Fulgrim leads his Emperor's Children against an alien race known as the Laer. Fulgrim is determined to defeat them within a month. The final assault is against an alien temple, where Fulgrim finds a sword that seems to speak to him.

The next section is The Phoenix and the Gorgon. The Emperor's Children join the Iron Hands in fighting the Diasporex, a human fleet that has aligned itself with aliens. Those that had
Jean-Luc
Mar 05, 2016 Jean-Luc rated it really liked it
Fulgrim, the titular primarch of the III Legion (Emperor's Children), is supposed to be the aspect of The Emperor's perfection. But he is not The Emperor, so he is imperfect, but that won't stop him and the space marines he leads from trying to be. Stan Bush tells us "it's not the destination, it's what you find along the road", but neither the primarch nor the astartes of the Emperor's Children seem able to grasp this subtle truth. Their worldview contains a critical flaw, and all the overlappi ...more
Ken
Oct 31, 2011 Ken rated it really liked it
Fulgrim is one action packed book with everything that you could possibly want in a Warhammer 40k novel. Primarchs, Xenos, Chaos Daemons and big battles. For me, this was an excellent book only slightly let down by not having a character that I can connect to.

McNeill does a good job describing the changes in Fulgrim as he is slowly corrupted by Chaos but due to the immense plot, not enough time is spent exploring the struggles that the Primarch goes through during his transformation. There are a
Ian Chinich
Feb 18, 2017 Ian Chinich rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
At first I was slightly bored by this book and was wondering why they needed to replay additional history from the perspective of Fulgrim and his legion. It included some melodramatic ramblings about perfection in the Emporers children which seems a little too two dimensional to me, and just at the point where I started to get irritated at the story, it began to get interesting.

You have a runin with the Eldar (which most people already know the rough outlines of), but it is interesting. The end
Matthew
Jul 13, 2007 Matthew rated it it was amazing
When I reviewed Graham McNeill’s 'False Gods', his previous book in the Horus Heresy series, I accused him of wasting the Primarch Fulgrim. Fulgrim only featured in one scene in 'False Gods', but now McNeill has rewarded him with the longest single novel the Black Library has ever printed. Indeed, the Fulgrim scene from 'False Gods'is represented in this novel, with subtle differences as the story is explored from Fulgrim’s perspective.

'Fulgrim' is magnificent. As a dedicated follower of Slaanes
  • Deliverance Lost
  • Fallen Angels
  • Descent of Angels
  • Mark of Calth
Hailing from Scotland, Graham McNeill narrowly escaped a career in surveying to work for Games Workshop as a games designer. He has a strong following with his novels Nightbringer, Warriors of Ultramar, Dead Sky, Black Sun and Storm of Iron.
More about Graham McNeill...

The Horus Heresy (1 - 10 of 87 books)
  • Horus Rising (The Horus Heresy #1)
  • False Gods
  • Battle for the Abyss
  • Mechanicum
  • Tales of Heresy
  • Fallen Angels

“You fuss too much over making the "right" choice Gaius. All we need do is make a good choice, see it through, and accept the consequences.” 22 likes