Start by marking “Max Makes a Million” as Want to Read:
Max Makes a Million

Max Makes a Million (Max #1)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Max's dream is to live in Paris and be a poet--even though no one will buy his poems, and he is penniless. But living in New York City isn't so bad. Where else could he have friends like Bruno, who paints invisible pictures, or Marcello, who builds upside-down houses? FUll-color illustrations.
Published October 1st 1990 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Max Makes a Million, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Max Makes a Million

Alison
I've given more copies of this book away than any other I've ever owned. It's good for poets, dreamers, artists, kids who enjoy rhymes, people who love dogs, and anyone who needs a good pick-me-up.
David Schaafsma
1990 quirky Maira Kalman book, written by a woman who is actually allergic to dogs, yet the first in a series! Pretty funny. About a dog who wants to go to Paris. He needs cash to pull that off. It's a pretty complex book, maybe as much for adults as kids, not a typical kid book, that's for sure. How many times can I say the word quirky? It's my go-to Kalman word, and maybe also funny and effervescently kicky. Great colorful art.
Paul
More Kalman from her imaginative and quirky trove, although this one doesn't reach as high a mark as Smartypants and Learning from Lincoln. In this book she enlists Max the dog in her task to explore the desire to grow up and take on a calling, in this case to be a poet.
And every day I pause on the corner of Salami and Pastrami and tape a poem on the wall.
Kalman's signature style with her energetic palette, playfulness with the position of the text, a little verse this time, and forceful depicti
Allegra
Maira Kalman is no secret. She has really made it. I'm glad. Max and her beautiful dreamy painted illustrations are wonderful. Her characters are not bounded by gravity and I like that. For awhile in college I think I wrote a lot of my emails in a voice not unlike that of Max. "Ha!"
Barbara
I bought this book before I had a son, because I loved the story (about a dog who's a poet and gets a million dollar book deal) and the artwork. Excellent excellent excellent.
Laurie
"He meant to blow the saxophone but, man, he blew his nose instead . . ." How can you not love a book with poetry like that!
Tina
This book (and the other max books) made me want to write for kids.
Julie Barrett
Max Makes A Million
Max the dog, a dreamer and he sells his book and he makes money. Enough to go on a trip to Paris.
His dream is to sell his book of poems and to live in Paris. Anybody can achieve what they set their mind to do.

Marcia
So unusual, unique, and quirkily odd. The story of Max the dog, a poet, and his desire to get a book deal and move to Paris. This book may not have huge kid appeal, it feels very adult to me. Too weird for me.
Polly
This is fun, but it's ended up in the picture book section at my library, where I don't think it's likely to be appreciated. And I've just learned that a local grade one class is reading it, which I think is a mistake--this is way too complex for someone who's still learning to read, and, like a lot of poetry, the word play is wonderful, but that's also hard for a new reader.
Christine
May 10, 2008 Christine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: children-s-books
Maria Kalman books are always great - for kids and their parents. (Guaranteed to not make your eyes glaze over - you'll get a kick out of her books as much as your kids will!)
Cheryl
An unusual flight of fancy about a dog who wants to move to Paris and be a poet. Didn't care for the layout.
Allison
one of my FAVORITE children's books, also for adults. Maira Kalman's illustrations are amazing. Very quirky stuff!
a refreshing kids book.
I've read it to classes of kids,
but I think I love it more than they do!
Laurie
Funny, fun, funky. A dog who lives in a NY penthouse and writes poetry. What's not to love.
Nick Cherry
Good book to use if talking about different locations specifically Paris.
Kristen
How can you not love a book about a dog who wants to be a poet?
Jessica
Trippy ?dog? with trippy friends who writes poetry.
Tracy O
Sep 02, 2007 Tracy O rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grown-Ups Dreamers Who Like Poetry
Shelves: kidsbooks
This rating is for adults. My son gives it just two stars.
Mrs Bond
Max heads to Paris to become a poet.
Kat
Oy, such silly! Wonderful!!!
Heid E.
Poet dog to lead us all!
Matt
Max is my hero.
Bria
Bria marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Kat Cinco
Kat Cinco marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
  • Eloise: The Ultimate Edition
  • We Are All in the Dumps with Jack and Guy
  • Mice And Beans
  • Seen Art?
  • Maira Kalman: Various Illuminations (of a Crazy World)
  • Dog and Bear: Two Friends, Three Stories
  • Ten Timid Ghosts
  • When Winter Comes
  • Stuart Goes to School (The Amazing World of Stuart, #2)
  • Richard Scarry's A Day at the Airport
  • How Come the Best Clues Are Always in the Garbage?
  • The Bear That Heard Crying
Maira Kalman was born in Tel Aviv and moved to New York with her family at the age of four. She has worked as a designer, author, illustrator and artist for more than thirty years without formal training. Her work is a narrative journal of her life and all its absurdities. She has written and illustrated twelve children's books including Ooh-la-la- Max in Love, What Pete Ate, and Swami on Rye . Sh ...more
More about Maira Kalman...

Max (4 books)
  • Max in Hollywood, Baby
  • Ooh-la-la: Max in Love
  • Swami on Rye: Max in India
The Principles of Uncertainty And the Pursuit of Happiness Looking at Lincoln Fireboat: The Heroic Adventures of the John J. Harvey Thomas Jefferson: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Everything