Start by marking “Max Makes a Million” as Want to Read:
Max Makes a Million

Max Makes a Million (Max #1)

Max's dream is to live in Paris and be a poet--even though no one will buy his poems, and he is penniless. But living in New York City isn't so bad. Where else could he have friends like Bruno, who paints invisible pictures, or Marcello, who builds upside-down houses? FUll-color illustrations.
Published October 1st 1990 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Max Makes a Million, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Max Makes a Million

Manik Sukoco
Dec 24, 2015 Manik Sukoco rated it really liked it
1990 quirky Maira Kalman book, written by a woman who is actually allergic to dogs, yet the first in a series! Pretty funny. About a dog who wants to go to Paris. He needs cash to pull that off. It's a pretty complex book, maybe as much for adults as kids, not a typical kid book, that's for sure. How many times can I say the word quirky? It's my go-to Kalman word, and maybe also funny and effervescently kicky. Great colorful art!

Alison
Apr 12, 2008 Alison rated it it was amazing
I've given more copies of this book away than any other I've ever owned. It's good for poets, dreamers, artists, kids who enjoy rhymes, people who love dogs, and anyone who needs a good pick-me-up.
David Schaafsma
Jul 14, 2015 David Schaafsma rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
1990 quirky Maira Kalman book, written by a woman who is actually allergic to dogs, yet the first in a series! Pretty funny. About a dog who wants to go to Paris. He needs cash to pull that off. It's a pretty complex book, maybe as much for adults as kids, not a typical kid book, that's for sure. How many times can I say the word quirky? It's my go-to Kalman word, and maybe also funny and effervescently kicky. Great colorful art.
Allegra
Nov 18, 2009 Allegra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Maira Kalman is no secret. She has really made it. I'm glad. Max and her beautiful dreamy painted illustrations are wonderful. Her characters are not bounded by gravity and I like that. For awhile in college I think I wrote a lot of my emails in a voice not unlike that of Max. "Ha!"
Barbara
Oct 18, 2007 Barbara rated it it was amazing
I bought this book before I had a son, because I loved the story (about a dog who's a poet and gets a million dollar book deal) and the artwork. Excellent excellent excellent.
Jan 06, 2011 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
"He meant to blow the saxophone but, man, he blew his nose instead . . ." How can you not love a book with poetry like that!
Tina
Jan 07, 2014 Tina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book (and the other max books) made me want to write for kids.
Paul
Nov 13, 2014 Paul rated it liked it
More Kalman from her imaginative and quirky trove, although this one doesn't reach as high a mark as Smartypants and Learning from Lincoln. In this book she enlists Max the dog in her task to explore the desire to grow up and take on a calling, in this case to be a poet.
And every day I pause on the corner of Salami and Pastrami and tape a poem on the wall.
Kalman's signature style with her energetic palette, playfulness with the position of the text, a little verse this time, and forceful depicti
Nancy Kotkin
The story of Max, a dog who is a poet, who wants to publish his poetry, and who dreams of moving to Paris some day. Inspiring theme of reaching for your dreams. I would give it 4 stars but I wonder how many kids relate to selling poetry manuscripts, literary agents, or fancy dinner parties. Even clothed in a funny dog, those things are too grown-up and esoteric for the picture book crowd. Interesting text placements on some pages. Very creative copyright page.
Polly
Jan 06, 2014 Polly rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
This is fun, but it's ended up in the picture book section at my library, where I don't think it's likely to be appreciated. And I've just learned that a local grade one class is reading it, which I think is a mistake--this is way too complex for someone who's still learning to read, and, like a lot of poetry, the word play is wonderful, but that's also hard for a new reader.
Julie Barrett
Apr 23, 2015 Julie Barrett rated it liked it
Max Makes A Million
Max the dog, a dreamer and he sells his book and he makes money. Enough to go on a trip to Paris.
His dream is to sell his book of poems and to live in Paris. Anybody can achieve what they set their mind to do.

Marcia
So unusual, unique, and quirkily odd. The story of Max the dog, a poet, and his desire to get a book deal and move to Paris. This book may not have huge kid appeal, it feels very adult to me. Too weird for me.
Mrs Bond
Mar 12, 2009 Mrs Bond rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebook, words
Max heads to Paris to become a poet.
Jim
Aug 19, 2016 Jim rated it it was ok
Shelves: new-york
i don't understand this book, i'm not the right audience
Christine
May 10, 2008 Christine rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: children-s-books
Maria Kalman books are always great - for kids and their parents. (Guaranteed to not make your eyes glaze over - you'll get a kick out of her books as much as your kids will!)
Jessica
May 13, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it
Trippy ?dog? with trippy friends who writes poetry.
Nov 04, 2007 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
a refreshing kids book.
I've read it to classes of kids,
but I think I love it more than they do!
Heid E.
Nov 06, 2007 Heid E. rated it it was amazing
Poet dog to lead us all!
Karen
Jul 16, 2016 Karen rated it did not like it
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
Horrible book! Jacob even said he couldn't believe it got published..krb 7/16/16
Jul 07, 2012 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Funny, fun, funky. A dog who lives in a NY penthouse and writes poetry. What's not to love.
Tracy O
Sep 02, 2007 Tracy O rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grown-Ups Dreamers Who Like Poetry
Shelves: kidsbooks
This rating is for adults. My son gives it just two stars.
Nick Cherry
Apr 20, 2011 Nick Cherry rated it it was ok
Good book to use if talking about different locations specifically Paris.
Kat
Dec 17, 2007 Kat rated it it was amazing
Oy, such silly! Wonderful!!!
Cheryl
An unusual flight of fancy about a dog who wants to move to Paris and be a poet. Didn't care for the layout.
Allison
Mar 11, 2008 Allison rated it it was amazing
one of my FAVORITE children's books, also for adults. Maira Kalman's illustrations are amazing. Very quirky stuff!
Stacia Carrell Lynch
Stacia Carrell Lynch rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2009
Amber the Human
Amber the Human rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2012
Elizabeth Gold
Elizabeth Gold rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2016
Armellet
Armellet rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2012
  • Apt. 3
  • My Painted House, My Friendly Chicken, and Me
  • Dem Bones (Avenues)
  • Armadillo Tattletale
  • My Mama Says There Aren't Any Zombies, Ghosts, Vampires, Demons, Monsters, Fiends, Goblins or Things
Maira Kalman was born in Tel Aviv and moved to New York with her family at the age of four. She has worked as a designer, author, illustrator and artist for more than thirty years without formal training. Her work is a narrative journal of her life and all its absurdities. She has written and illustrated twelve children's books including Ooh-la-la- Max in Love, What Pete Ate, and Swami on Rye . Sh ...more
More about Maira Kalman...

Max (4 books)