Start by marking “The American Meadow Garden: Creating a Natural Alternative to the Traditional Lawn” as Want to Read:

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  19 reviews
If there's one lesson every homeowner must learn, it's this: The traditional lawn is a huge, time consuming, synthetic-chemical sucking mistake. The time has come to look for new ways to create friendly, livable spaces around our homes.

In The American Meadow Garden, ornamental grass expert John Greenlee creates a new model for homeowners and gardeners. For Greenlee, a mead

Published September 1st 2009 by Timber Press (OR) (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The American Meadow Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The American Meadow Garden

Nicole
Oct 26, 2010 Nicole rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dan Barron, Elizabeth Edwards
Shelves: non-fiction
ok, actually i mostly looked at the pictures. meadow gardens are better for the environment. "a safe habitat for for beneficial insects and pollinators, a place where native ecology can thrive. meadows, by attracting a diversity of 'life,' are animated, alive with rhythmic movement, catching both wind and light. properly designed, meadows require less maintenance and consume significantly less resources than lawn or border."

it really does seem backwards, the American fascination with manicured l...more
Courtney
Beautifully illustrated, this informative book was nevertheless a disappointment to me as the author largely focused on Californian and southwestern meadow examples. While many of the informative sidebars and plant lists are undoubtedly a good starting point, I wanted specific recommendations for my mid-Atlantic garden, as well as help identifying some of the plants which crop up in my natural meadow, goals I was not able to achieve with this title. Western gardeners would find this book a font...more
Dorothy
As the earth heats up and droughts become more prevalent across the country, American gardeners are learning, in many cases to their chagrin, that the broad expanses of green lawn that have long been a staple of the American landscape may no longer be sustainable. These lawns are water-guzzlers and, as water becomes more dear, it is more and more obvious that the traditional lawn has to go.

Moreover, that traditional lawn as it has evolved over a century and a half has become a time-consuming, sy...more
Alma
The pictures are beautiful, but the text scares one away from thoughts of implementation. Presents a mind-numbing parade of grasses and complementary plants.
Quotation from p. 226: "The success of your meadow garden depends on many factors: selecting the right plants for your soil and your design purposes, properly preparing your site before planting begins, and selecting the right method and time of year to plant. Failure on any one of these counts can mean the difference between a beautiful me...more
Dee
Mar 09, 2010 Dee rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dee by: nashgarden@gmail.com
If you'd like to reduce the size of your lawn and instead plant native and decorative grasses and other prairie plants. Or, if you just want to know more about how a meadow is constructed, this is the book for you. John Greenlee is known as the Father of Grasses in the U.S., and Saxon Holt's photographs perfectly frame the many meadows in this book. You can almost feel the breeze and hear the grasses waving in the wind. Just lovely.
Leif
A lovely, large-format book with gorgeous photos of meadows and gardens on nearly every page is hard to beat. I was a tiny bit disappointed that the author doesn't share my dogmatic zeal for native plants above all else. Oh well. Look through this book and then replace your lawn with something more beautiful and less resource-intensive.
Steve H
Some decent alternatives suggested, and more importantly plenty of pictures to show you what can/will replace your natural lawn (assuming local zoning regulations allow something other than a 2.5 inch lawn. I'm a bit concerned that some of the alternatives they suggest might become invasive in some areas.
Jeff
Great photos, good information but like most books like this it's all about personal execution, that is, it's easier to read about it than put it into practice. Hopefully, I can start small and create a backyard meadow of my own.
Tom Mueller
Well illustrated with photos and extensive index and resource [where to buy:] list. This volume can help accomplish exactly what the title infers. I hope to start a Meadow Garden, doing away with typical turf grass.
Jenny
I'm really enjoying this book, and creating one of these gardens is a goal for my back yard. However, this book is not for beginners! Creating a meadow garden seems like a challenging and expensive endeavor.
jess
This book is so good, I could probably read it 100 more times but someone else has it on hold at the library. Suffice to say, I want to do this to my backyard in a serious, painful longing kind of way.
Sylvester
Lovely photos. Wish I could turn my lawn into a meadow! Loved Chapter 6 "Grasses for Meadows" as I am a big fan of ornamental grasses and am always scouting for new varieties.
Ronna
Most of the gardens shown in the book have no resemblance to the cover! Perhaps a book for those who like to choose the weeds they plant in their yard.

Matthew
A great coffee table book as well as resource for those interested in the creation of meadows with flowering plants and grasses.
Annie Oosterwyk
In promotion of low maintenance beauty and meadow ecosystems, this book provides the recipe for yards great and small.
William
Lots of good advice about alternatives to traditional lawns.

Tons of good color photos.

An inspirational book.
Manintheboat
Lovely to read, splendid ideas from all over the country. Found a yard like mine and got great ideas.
Maggie
seems to focus too much on western united states -- so it wasn't as helpful to me as i'd hoped.
Janet
Ideas for the yard at the lake!
Liz
Liz added it
Sep 26, 2014
April
April marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Candy Wyman
Candy Wyman marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Kathy Wittner
Kathy Wittner marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Jesse Lu  Schreier
Jesse Lu Schreier marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Encyclopedia of Ornamental Grasses: How to Grow and Use Over 250 Beautiful and Versatile Plants Scribes Scrolls and Scripture How to Build a Cheap and Simple Arm Extension that Makes Hand Puppetry Easy and Fun! Meadows by Design: Creating a Natural Alternative to the Traditional Lawn. John Greenlee The New American Landscape: Leading Voices on the Future of Sustainable Gardening