Start by marking “Magician's Accomplice (Commander Jana Matinova #3)” as Want to Read:
Magician's Accomplice (Commander Jana Matinova #3)

Magician's Accomplice (Commander Jana Matinova #3)

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  28 reviews
An indigent student has been shot and killed in an upscale hotel in the center of Bratislava. It appears to be a professional assassination, but who would want to kill a starving student? After examining the crime scene, Jana Matinova pays a visit to her lover, a government prosecutor. But when she arrives at his office, she learns that he's been killed by a phone bomb. Ja ...more
Paperback
Published July 12th 2011 by Soho Crime (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Magician's Accomplice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magician's Accomplice

Andrew Macrae
“Trust no one” should be Slovakian Police Commander Jana Matinova’s
motto as she finds herself both the hunter and the hunted in a rollercoaster of an adventure that takes her from her home city of Bratislava to The Hague and elsewhere. This is the third novel by Michael Genelin featuring Jana Matinova, and this review coincides with its release in paperback just as a fourth novel, “Requium for a Gypsy” is release in hardcover.

The story begins with the shooting death of a student trying to cadge
Ruth
Strong woman character as detective, yet vulnerable also. I will look for other books by this same author.
Diane
I hope Genelin continues writing more novels in the Jana Matinova series. This is the second one I have read and there are only 2 more. His background in Anti-Corruption Investigation and Prosecution is reflected in these stories. Matinova is a police commander in Bratislova. This book takes her to The Hague where she is on temporary assignment to Europol. Later her investigation takes her to Vienna.

Genelin's writing is somewhat uneven. He could do more with character development nad sense of pl
Carey Combe
Marva
Petty good thriller/mystery set in Slovakia and The Hague. Nice to have a different setting to see the sights.

The MC is a good character and the plot reasonably well done. Just didn't blow me away.
Jim
A terrific detective/mystery story! Well conceived and written. It was my first experience with this author and I look forward to reading more of his books.

His heroine is Slovakian police commander Jana Matinova. It starts with a mysterious killing: A professional hit man has gunned down a university student, who sneaked into the dining room of a swanky Bratislava hotel to get free food. Then later the same day, her friend and lover, a prosecutor investigating a corruption case, is killed in an
Beth
Sep 28, 2010 Beth rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beth by: murderblog@yahoo.com

Denis Macek is a student, a student with very little money. With the help of a friend, Denis creates a plan which will allow him one excellent meal in the best hotel in Bratislava.

Friday morning, Denis, dressed in his best clothes, sits in the lobby of the Carleton Savoy hotel. Mr. Fico is a guest at the hotel and Denis knows his room number. Denis also knows that Mr. Fico never eats breakfast in the hotel dining room. On this day, Denis, dressed in his best but somewhat shabby suit, watches unt
Scott K
This was the third in the series and sadly for me it was a disappointment. After reading 'Dark Dreams' the 2nd book. I was very eager to read 'The Magician's Accomplice' It started off good at the shooting of the Denis Macek a starving student who schemes a means for a free breakfast at a swank 5 star hotel.

I'm not sure when it actually went in a downward spiral but the whole escapade of Mataivona and the dead student Uncle a retired magician went from a bit corny to total stupid.

There were sue
Barbara Lazar
See my review of the first in the series, The Siren in the Waters. Genelin certainly, in my opinion, really improved his craft.
C.
Yet another Kindle freebie that apparently gets good reviews because the people who got it for free feel obliged to like it. The writing is stilted and clichéd, and the characters behave stupidly; the main character, supposedly a top police officer where she lives, would most likely be considered incompetent where I come from.

I admit that I did not finish this book because I just couldn't handle the poor prose any longer, plus I found myself not caring even slightly about anybody in the book.
Roseann
So far, it is keeping my interest...fast bed-time read.

Ok, so I am done. Really enjoyed it. The ending was not expected, but well done. I like the character a lot, reminded me of Stieg Larsson's characters, only less dark and intense.
A good read, for sure.
Would recommend.
Nice to read a book with characters named & from a foreign country for a change, nice to explore other places!
Martina
Third in Genelin's series featuring Commander Jana Matinova in Bratislava, Slovakia. Sent to The Hague to work with Europol, Jana is drawn into the investigation of the shooting death of a student by the boy's uncle, a retired magician. I love this character, the settings, the tension in the plotting, just everything about this series.
Gary Van Cott
This book is very similar to the preceding book in this series. The first book was the most original of the three I have read. The author needs to come up with something more inventive then having the main character chased around Europe by insiders that are trying to kill her.
Laurie
THIS WAS A SLOW BEGINNING, BUT NOW HAS PICKED UP SPEED AND INTEREST. CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT IS KIND OF FLAT BUT THE MYSTERY HAS GOTTEN INTERESTING. IN RETROSPECT, THE PLOT IS A FAIRLY IMPLAUSIBLE. BUT IT KEPT YOUR INTEREST.
Mary Kay
The protagonist is a female police detective in modern Slovakia, who gets kicked downstairs to what appears to be an ineffectual Interpol division. Lots of intrigue & sleight of hand, not to mention interesting characters
Deanne
Very easy to read crimethriller set in Slovakia and the Hague, fairly fast paced but Jana comes across as a bit cold. Most people would be a wreck but not commander Matinova.
Liz
I had never read this author. The story was great. The detective is a woman with real world porblems. Well written and a good story!
Nancy
I seemed to stay continually confused as to the characters and locations. This is not my favorite genre.
Ann
Easy, quick read. Was due for a murder mystery. Good summertime book.
Alexandrea
I would like to read others in this series. It was enjoyable.
Heather
I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the book.
CK
Easy read, interesting locales, etc (Prague, Amsterdam, and Europol)
Paula
International intrigue, choppy writing. Just not my taste.
Brad T.
Got about half way through and I just stopped caring.
John Machata
Extremely well written. Taut. Believable crime fiction.
Lucille
Apr 18, 2011 Lucille rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lucille by: book club
difficult to follow, but a good story anyway
Rena
Beach/plane reading for Puerto Rico!
Cynthia
amazon freebie
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
  • The Equivoque Principle (Cornelius Quaint Chronicles, #1)
  • Sullivan's Justice (Carolyn Sullivan, #2)
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
  • Mozart's Blood
  • A Flower Blooms on Charlotte Street
  • Soul Catcher (The Outsider #1)
  • The Kiribati Test
  • The Hunters
  • Primitive
  • Murder Takes the Cake (Daphne Martin, #1)
  • Strings Attached  (Tales from Ballena Beach, #1)
  • All Tied Up (Pleasure Inn, #1)
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • The Dangerous Dimension
  • Midnight in Madrid (The Russian Trilogy #2)
  • More Blood, More Sweat and Another Cup of Tea
  • A Little Death in Dixie
  • A Nail Through the Heart (Poke Rafferty Mystery, #1)
Michael Genelin, a graduate of UCLA and the UCLA Law School, has served in the LA District Attorney's Office and the US Department of Justice in Central Europe. He has written for film and has been an adviser to television series. He now lives with his wife and daughter in Paris.

Series:
* Commander Jana Matinova
More about Michael Genelin...

Commander Jana Matinova (4 books)
  • Siren of the Waters
  • Dark Dreams (Commander Jana Matinova #2)
  • Requiem for a Gypsy
Siren of the Waters Requiem for a Gypsy Dark Dreams (Commander Jana Matinova #2) For the Dignified Dead