Start by marking “Scrap Therapy Cut the Scraps!: 7 Steps to Quilting Your Way through Your Stash” as Want to Read:
Scrap Therapy Cut the Scraps!: 7 Steps to Quilting Your Way through Your Stash

Scrap Therapy Cut the Scraps!: 7 Steps to Quilting Your Way through Your Stash

All quilters know one thing for sure: a fabric stash is a living thing. It grows imperceptibly at first, but soon takes over your sewing room, and, if you’re not careful, your life. Joan Ford is a quilt designer who recognized a need to clear the clutter among her fellow quilters and came up with a fun and effective way to deal with it. Enter ScrapTherapy™, Ford’s ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Taunton Press

To ask other readers questions about Scrap Therapy Cut the Scraps!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scrap Therapy Cut the Scraps!

Angie
Sep 16, 2016 Angie rated it liked it
I am always looking for things to do with the leftover scraps from quilts. This book offers some good suggestions on cutting up your scraps to use later. I am not 100% sold on her sizes, but she did write this before pre-cuts became a huge deal in the fabric world. I have started cutting my scraps into 2.5 inch strips, 5 inch squares, and 10 inch squares only because there are so many patterns for those sizes out there now. I do like having everything cut up and labeled before starting.
Caro
Jun 23, 2012 Caro rated it liked it
I really like the idea of cutting your scraps into standard, usable pieces (she recommends 5", 3 1/2" and 2" squares). However, the resulting quilts are too fussy and have way too many triangles for me. As another quilter has suggested, find a pattern you like and then cut your scraps to the sizes used. I'll try that - one day...
Nonnie
Mar 22, 2014 Nonnie rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference-book
2014 ... good reference book but I have not made project from it as I design my own quilts and have been doing other projects.

2011

I have been hearing about SCRAP THERAPY for awhile and I just recently found Joan's blog. I will be following it. I just purchased this book. I have a ton of scraps to start with; I just have to project to use them with.

I have not had a chance to asses this book in detail so I will be updating this review and the ratings. December 18, 2011.

Nonnie,

Emily
Mar 04, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft-quilting
When I realized this book was a "method" as well as patterns, I figured I'd just look at the patterns and see if I got any inspiration there and that would be that. But I actually read the first part that explains the scrap therapy theory, and I kept thinking about it and thinking about it, and then I decided it actually made a lot of sense. I have now been (slowly) turning my 3 different scrap bins into cut-up pieces ready to become something. (I've been cutting on a card table in front of my ...more
Becky
May 18, 2012 Becky rated it really liked it
I've been quilting since before my kids were born, so I've got scraps. By the tons. And sadly, that's not really much hyperbole. But I digress....

What I liked about this book is that it gave some real, concrete ideas for dealing with your scrap pile(s!), but also tried to keep it realistic. Joan Ford says to get rid of your teeny, tiny pieces (the smallest piece she has you cutting and keeping is a 2" square--and honestly, at this point in my life I'm not sure I really want to sew together piece
Dec 13, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: craftycrafty, 2012
This has two patterns that I really like (but seem potentially a bit fiddly), and the rest aren't my thing. The ScrapTherapy system is interesting, basically you cut your scraps into the largest possible of three predetermined square sizes, and only use patterns that are compatible with those sizes. I probably won't adopt the system since it isn't compatible with a lot of the types of patterns I like, but I can see how it would be really efficient.
Susan K
Jul 27, 2012 Susan K rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Borrowed it from the library, but definitely buying it! Can't wait to have it on my shelves! Great tips on sizes, cutting aids, bindings, patterns for cutting and using all the bits and treasures of fabrics that accumulate because it is too good to throw away...So excited to start a project!
AJ
Good ideas about cutting scraps into usable squares and strips, but I wasn't a big fan of the patterns, and most of the sewing methods I already know (and I imagine most quilters who have a ton of scraps also already know).
'Chele
Oct 09, 2011 'Chele rated it it was amazing
I really like this book. Not only does it explain how to make your stash mess/pile/box neater, easier to manage and useable, there are patterns that help use the stash. It is amazing how such a simple process can take the headache out of what to do with the scraps until you have time to use them.
Anita
Jan 22, 2016 Anita rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction-read
Easy to follow and a great way to use up your scraps. It is one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" Moments. She has figured out the sizes to cut and how to organize them. I may use her patters, but I may not. With her sizes I can make many quilts from my want to do list.
Jennifer Shirley
Aug 05, 2016 Jennifer Shirley rated it really liked it
Enjoyed her ideas and started cutting down my scrap pile immediately. Has already made using them in projects easier.
Sara
Mar 24, 2015 Sara rated it liked it
Meh. I'm not a fan of the "pre-cut all your scraps" theory, and while none of these patterns are bad, per se, I've seen (or even made) more compelling variations of almost all of them.
Zippy
Apr 30, 2015 Zippy rated it liked it
None of the projects jumped out at me to put on my "must make" list. I will revisit this book later.
Brenda Lower
May 11, 2013 Brenda Lower rated it really liked it
Great patterns and great tips on how to organize those random pieces of fabric I have left over from other things! This is on my wish list of things to buy!
Ellen Marchessault
Feb 07, 2016 Ellen Marchessault rated it it was amazing
Way more projects to add to my UFO list. I really like her advice to cut scraps into common sizes. Now I have 2 shoe boxes full of pre-cut scraps. Yay!
Johnnell Bitterman
Johnnell Bitterman rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2016
Kelsey
Kelsey rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2012
Dana
Dana rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Kit
Kit rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2013
Underwood Family
Underwood Family rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2012
Terry McKinsey
Terry McKinsey rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Annie
Annie rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2011
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2016
Gasuski Suski
Gasuski Suski rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2014
Tammie Schaffer
Tammie Schaffer rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2011
merle frissell-balboni
merle frissell-balboni rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2016
Fernanda
Fernanda rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Feb 15, 2014
Cate
Cate rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2012
Kelley
Kelley rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker: 12 Quilt Projects
  • Dare to Be Square Quilting: A Block-by-Block Guide to Making Patchwork and Quilts
  • Quilts from the House of Tula Pink: 20 Fabric Projects to Make, Use and Love
  • Modern Log Cabin Quilting: 25 Simple Quilts and Patchwork Projects
  • Material Obsession Two: Shared Inspiration
  • The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt: 55 Letters and the 111 Blocks They Inspired
  • Heirloom Machine Quilting: A Comprehensive Guide to Hand-Quilting Effects Using Your Sewing Machine
  • Sunday Morning Quilts: 16 Modern Scrap Projects Sort, Store, and Use Every Last Bit of Your Treasured Fabrics
  • Complete Guide to Quilting (Better Homes and Gardens)
  • Denyse Schmidt: Modern Quilts, Traditional Inspiration: 20 New Designs with Historic Roots
  • I Love Patchwork
  • BiblioCraft: The Modern Crafter's Guide to Using Library Resources to Jumpstart Creative Projects
  • Fa la la la Felt: 45 Handmade Holiday Decorations
  • Layer Cake, Jelly Roll & Charm Quilts
  • Block Party: The Modern Quilting Bee: The Journey of 12 Women, 1 Blog & 12 Improvisational Projects
  • Fresh Quilting: Fearless Color, Design, & Inspiration