Start by marking “Way To Go” as Want to Read:
Way To Go

Way To Go

3.04 of 5 stars 3.04  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  9 reviews
For not having loved one's dead father enough, could one make amends by loving one's child more?
Eighty-five and half paralysed, Shyamanand is on his deathbed when he goes missing. His apparent refusal to meet death in the expected way calm and accepting and lying down is a cause for great anguish to his son Jamun, who leads a life of quiet desperation, trying to balance fe
Published February 15th 2010

To ask other readers questions about Way To Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Way To Go

Kunal Sen
It is astonishing the way U.C. describes some simple, unremarkable passages like waiting in a queue or flicking a cigarette stub: they assume lyrical, almost metaphorical proportions but then you realize he's probably just screwing with us. But there's no way to tell.

His fascination with the great Indian dysfunctional family ('Weight Loss', 'The Last Burden') and also the media, as dystopian as he can perceive it to be, continues in this book as well.

Not even close to 'English August's' pedigree
Shishir
It's a trademark Upamanayu Chatterjee book, peppered with witty dialogue, absurdly funny ideas and generous amounts of black humour.

This one is about death (surprise!), loneliness, familial relations and degradation and indignity after death.

The book starts off well, is very funny, but becomes a little boring and dense midway. But worth reading through to the end for the way the story is wrapped up.
Veturi
Way To Go by Upamanyu Chatterjee is the most difficult book I have read and finished for I was not quite sure at once of the intended readers of this work - I for one am not one of them. At 359 pages this book is long in all aspects from the sentences it uses to the life of its characters and is definitely not an easy read being a tad profound to my sensibilities. I picked up this book going by its cover which has a certain obscurity attached to it that one can almost miss its title if one is no ...more
Kritika
Difficult to follow, filled with dark humour & sarcasm.. Some quotes were really beautiful while others were too long to follow. Every part starts in the police station. The structuring of the story is beautiful but the final 2 chapters lack clarity. A different attempt - an one time slow read.
Bhavani Nyanajegaran
What can I say? You either get Chatterjee, or you don't. He's such a powerfully convoluted writer, but he's undoubtedly the king of dark humor. It just gets tiring sometimes reading a six-line sentence with multiple commas and dashes. But if you persevere, it doesn't guarantee you get the plot either.
Persephone Abbott
A total treat to read. The story line was basic, and fuzzy and kept rolling, and in the end I didn't care much what had happened because I enjoyed the writing so much. I immediately bought another Upamanyu Chatterjee book, and am delighted to soon continue my escape from dodgy cardboard reality, to another perspective where the backyard fence may look squarely at me, and line up the most important matters in life for the firing squad.
Anna
I'm interested in the characters and the place and all but there's just something wrong with the sentences. Too many clauses or too many double negatives? Or not enough sleep? Sometimes I have to read a sentence three times to figure out which clause refers to which other - does it mean the thing or not the thing. I wonder if thats the way people in India speak English.
Shagun Gupta
the topic is touching but the book meanders a little too much for my taste...
Balavenise
depressing, gloomy.
sad.
writing is good, but reading is too black.
Luis
Luis marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Partha  Mondal
Partha Mondal marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Pavitra
Pavitra marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Vignesh
Vignesh marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Rohan
Rohan marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Shilpa Sebastian
Shilpa Sebastian marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Bhargavi Suryanarayanan
Bhargavi Suryanarayanan marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Nandita Goswami
Nandita Goswami marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Karn Satyarthi
Karn Satyarthi marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Inderpreet Uppal
Inderpreet Uppal marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Jaya Mathur
Jaya Mathur marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Shashank
Shashank marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Rama
Rama added it
Feb 16, 2015
Tania Ramos
Tania Ramos marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
What happened to Shayamanand's corpse? 1 5 Mar 25, 2012 11:23AM
Upamanyu Chatterjee is an Indian author and administrator, noted for his works set in the Indian Administrative Service. He has been named Officier des Arts et des Lettres (Officer of the Order of Arts and Letters), by the French Government.
More about Upamanyu Chatterjee...
English, August: An Indian Story The Mammaries of the Welfare State Weight Loss The Last Burden Fairy Tales at Fifty