Start by marking “A Change of Tongue” as Want to Read:
A Change of Tongue

A Change of Tongue

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  9 reviews
'A Change of Tongue' is about belonging - to a family, a tribe, a nation, a continent. It is about having a place, losing it, finding another place. As part of this exploration of identity, the author takes on various aspects of Afrikaner mythology.
Published March 1st 2009 by Struik Publishers (first published February 20th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Change of Tongue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Change of Tongue

Dreams Come True by Bridgitte LesleyLong Walk to Freedom by Nelson MandelaDisgrace by J.M. CoetzeeCry, the Beloved Country by Alan PatonMy Traitor's Heart by Rian Malan
Best South African reads
41st out of 151 books — 99 voters
Sam Certainly Can by Bridgitte LesleyWaiting for the Barbarians by J.M. CoetzeeDisgrace by J.M. CoetzeeLong Walk to Freedom by Nelson MandelaLife and Times of Michael K by J.M. Coetzee
Best South African Books
38th out of 100 books — 54 voters

More lists with this book...

Sean de la Rosa
A Change of Tongue is a complex and brave work exploring the social fabric of modern South Africa and seeks to define what being African truly means. Krog has most definitely matured in her style and approach since writing Country of My Skull. What I found most fascinating was her fearlessness in tackling racism head on - subjects you generally considered taboo are approached openly and in a fair manner. What comes into the light is healed! All very artfully done.

Part 5 of the book dealing with
Annalie
Feb 12, 2011 Annalie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who are interested in South Africa
Recommended to Annalie by: I can't remember!
This book gave me many different perspectives on the problems and challenges facing post-apartheid South Africa. Antjie Krog says herself that she has a talent for telling a story and she certainly proves it here. For years I've been putting off reading it and then I braced myself for a hard slog. To my great surprise it was very easy to read; often heartbreakingly sad but at times so funny that I laughed out loud. Antjie Krog interweaves much of her autobiography into the book. Having read some ...more
Tamere
Mar 06, 2014 Tamere marked it as to-read
knsflbfdjfddjgdjhgljbglkgjnljteiyohethbjdfljgbflnbkfdnlhlbmjmwjdmjb
Amanda Brinkmann
Although this book speaks to the South Africa of the past - excavates and surfaces memories and reminders that are not comfortable - it counts as one of the best, interesting and fascinating novels I have read. The story will find resonance with readers globally - the story is all too familiar - racism, judgement, inequality - juxtoposed with humanity, tolerance and the will to risk to improve the life of another. Poignant, sometimes disturbing.

This is on my to re-read list.
AeRi
This is the best book I have read in years. The perfect combination of literary intelligence with knowledgeable subject matter; an incredible work of non-fiction which reads like a novel.
Chase
One of my favorite books on South Africa. Explores the New South Africa in all it complexity and contradictions. Antie Krog is a a poet and a good writer and storyteller.
Tiah
A stunning and brave exploration to the complex social fabric of modern South Africa and the definition of being "African."

Jana
Amazing short essays about life and identity in post-apartheid South Africa.
Mitta Xinindlu
I'm still reading this one. I'm enjoying it. It's fun to read.
Tibbe
Tibbe marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Sharon L. Sherman
Sharon L. Sherman marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Rodney Ulyate
Rodney Ulyate marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Daïna Sainte-claire
Daïna Sainte-claire is currently reading it
Jan 03, 2015
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Paul
Paul is currently reading it
Dec 18, 2014
Clare Grove
Clare Grove is currently reading it
Dec 17, 2014
Nick van der Merwe
Nick van der Merwe marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Stan Poussin
Stan Poussin marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • My Traitor's Heart: A South African Exile Returns to Face His Country, His Tribe, and His Conscience
  • Agaat
  • The Mirror at Midnight: A South African Journey
  • AMA
  • Tsotsi
  • Gem Squash Tokoloshe
  • Thabo Mbeki: The Dream Deferred
  • Ah But Your Land Is Beautiful
  • Dance with a Poor Man's Daughter
  • A Human Being Died That Night: A South African Woman Confronts the Legacy of Apartheid
  • 7 dae (Benny Griessel, #3)
  • The Number: One Man's Search for Identity in the Cape Underworld and Prison Gangs
  • The Wonga Coup: Guns, Thugs and a Ruthless Determination to Create Mayhem in an Oil-Rich Corner of Africa
  • How to Really Love Your Teenager
  • Endings and beginnings
  • The Lying Days
  • God Has a Dream: A Vision of Hope for Our Time
  • When She Was White: The True Story of a Family Divided By Race
Krog grew up on a farm, attending primary and secondary school in Kroonstad. In 1973 she earned a BA (Hons) degree in English from the University of the Orange Free State, and an MA in Afrikaans from the University of Pretoria in 1976. With a teaching diploma from the University of South Africa (UNISA) she would lecture at a segregated teacher’s training college for black South Africans.

She is mar
More about Antjie Krog...
Country of My Skull: Guilt, Sorrow, and the Limits of Forgiveness in the New South Africa Begging to Be Black Body Bereft Down to My Last Skin: Poems Kleur Kom Nooit Alleen Nie