Start by marking “A Change of Tongue” as Want to Read:
A Change of Tongue

A Change of Tongue

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  139 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
In times of fundamental change, people tend to find a space, lose it and the find another space as life and the world transform around them. What does this metamorphosis entail and in what ways are we affected by it? How do we live through it and what may we become on our journey toward each other, particularly when the space and places form which we depart are at least on ...more
Published March 1st 2009 by Penguin Random House South Africa (first published February 20th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Change of Tongue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Change of Tongue

Disgrace by J.M. CoetzeeDreams Come True by Bridgitte LesleyLong Walk to Freedom by Nelson MandelaCry, the Beloved Country by Alan PatonMy Traitor's Heart by Rian Malan
Best South African reads
49th out of 171 books — 123 voters
Sam Certainly Can by Bridgitte LesleyWaiting for the Barbarians by J.M. CoetzeeDisgrace by J.M. CoetzeeLong Walk to Freedom by Nelson MandelaLucky Go Happy  by Paul Van Der Merwe
Best South African Books
44th out of 114 books — 62 voters

More lists with this book...

Sean de la Rosa
Dec 05, 2014 Sean de la Rosa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Change of Tongue is a complex and brave work exploring the social fabric of modern South Africa and seeks to define what being African truly means. Krog has most definitely matured in her style and approach since writing Country of My Skull. What I found most fascinating was her fearlessness in tackling racism head on - subjects you generally considered taboo are approached openly and in a fair manner. What comes into the light is healed! All very artfully done.

Part 5 of the book dealing with
Zara Rahman
Dec 19, 2015 Zara Rahman rated it it was amazing
I began reading this immediately after finishing the fantastic 'Country of My Skull' by the same author, because I wanted to read more by her. This book is different in a lot of ways, but still a fantastic and engaging read. It mixes fictional short stories together with more clearly autobiographical sections, and gives more of a personal perspective to the situation. Again, a really, really recommended read to understand more of South Africa's history, and to read truly beautiful writing.
Annalie
Feb 12, 2011 Annalie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who are interested in South Africa
Recommended to Annalie by: I can't remember!
This book gave me many different perspectives on the problems and challenges facing post-apartheid South Africa. Antjie Krog says herself that she has a talent for telling a story and she certainly proves it here. For years I've been putting off reading it and then I braced myself for a hard slog. To my great surprise it was very easy to read; often heartbreakingly sad but at times so funny that I laughed out loud. Antjie Krog interweaves much of her autobiography into the book. Having read some ...more
Tamere
Mar 06, 2014 Tamere marked it as to-read
knsflbfdjfddjgdjhgljbglkgjnljteiyohethbjdfljgbflnbkfdnlhlbmjmwjdmjb
Megan
Jul 07, 2015 Megan rated it really liked it
Another masterwork by Krog.
Amanda Brinkmann
Jan 14, 2013 Amanda Brinkmann rated it really liked it
Although this book speaks to the South Africa of the past - excavates and surfaces memories and reminders that are not comfortable - it counts as one of the best, interesting and fascinating novels I have read. The story will find resonance with readers globally - the story is all too familiar - racism, judgement, inequality - juxtoposed with humanity, tolerance and the will to risk to improve the life of another. Poignant, sometimes disturbing.

This is on my to re-read list.
Rainier Rademan
Apr 13, 2016 Rainier Rademan rated it it was amazing
A gripping transformative tale of Krog's wanderings and experiences of the truth throughout her childhood, and as a budding author for the SABC. This book will leave the reader questioning every sentence as to its meaning, and many chapters will leave the reader captivated long after the book has been closed. A gripping story of change and acceptance, tolerance and forgiveness, but also of loss and love.
AeRi
Jul 05, 2008 AeRi rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I have read in years. The perfect combination of literary intelligence with knowledgeable subject matter; an incredible work of non-fiction which reads like a novel.
Chase
Apr 21, 2008 Chase rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books on South Africa. Explores the New South Africa in all it complexity and contradictions. Antie Krog is a a poet and a good writer and storyteller.
Tiah
May 06, 2009 Tiah rated it it was amazing
A stunning and brave exploration to the complex social fabric of modern South Africa and the definition of being "African."

Jana
Dec 21, 2009 Jana rated it really liked it
Amazing short essays about life and identity in post-apartheid South Africa.
Mitta Xinindlu
Jul 19, 2013 Mitta Xinindlu rated it really liked it
I'm still reading this one. I'm enjoying it. It's fun to read.
Ursula Stocki
Ursula Stocki marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
JJ
JJ marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Antonio Gómez Ramos
Antonio Gómez Ramos is currently reading it
May 31, 2016
Fleur
Fleur marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Paul Lazarus
Paul Lazarus marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Agata
Agata marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Ceren
Ceren marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Zack Reagin
Zack Reagin marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Lauralee Roux
Lauralee Roux marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Taf
Taf marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Sanelisile
Sanelisile marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Zahida
Zahida marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Scoutaccount
Scoutaccount rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Endings and Beginnings
  • My Traitor's Heart: A South African Exile Returns to Face His Country, His Tribe, and His Conscience
  • 117 Days: An Account of Confinement and Interrogation Under the South African 90-Day Detention Law
  • Karoo Boy
  • Tsotsi
  • The Lying Days
  • Thabo Mbeki: The Dream Deferred
  • Dark Continent My Black Arse: By Bus, Boksie, Matola... from Cape to Cairo
  • 7 dae (Bennie Griessel, #3)
  • In a Different Time: The Inside Story of the Delmas Four
  • Ah But Your Land Is Beautiful
  • You Can't Get Lost in Cape Town
  • God Has a Dream: A Vision of Hope for Our Time
Krog grew up on a farm, attending primary and secondary school in Kroonstad. In 1973 she earned a BA (Hons) degree in English from the University of the Orange Free State, and an MA in Afrikaans from the University of Pretoria in 1976. With a teaching diploma from the University of South Africa (UNISA) she would lecture at a segregated teacher’s training college for black South Africans.

She is mar
More about Antjie Krog...