Start by marking “Cent mille milliards de poèmes ” as Want to Read:
Cent mille milliards de poèmes

Cent mille milliards de poèmes

4.52 of 5 stars 4.52  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Selon les mots mêmes Queneau dans sa préface, « Ce petit ouvrage permet à tout un chacun de composer à volonté cent mille milliards de sonnets, tous réguliers bien entendu. C’est somme toute une sorte de machine à fabriquer des poèmes, mais en nombre limité ; il est vrai que ce nombre, quoique limité, fournit de la lecture pour près de deux cents millions d’années (en lisa ...more
Published 2006 by Gallimard (first published July 7th 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Cent mille milliards de poèmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cent mille milliards de poèmes

MJ Nicholls
Technically I could be “sampling” the poems on this combinatorial generator for another two hundred million years. If the GR master server is still working in the year 200,002,012, I would like to make a few apologies on behalf of us, The Agents of the Amockalypse.

The texts that put such a strain on the GR server and led to the nature of your present reality—A Game of Thrones and Fifty Shades of Grey—originated in our time. Over the years, these sacred bestsellers acquired so many readers who wo
Bookaholic
Este atât de frumoasă O sută de mii de miliarde de poeme! Și nu frumoasă în sensul în care vorbim de obicei despre cărți, ci frumoasă atât ca obiect, o carte dintre cele mai inedite, cât și ca idee, de carte aproape infinită, pe care o poți citi iar și iar, schimbând combinațiile versurilor, amintindu-ne mereu că literatura ne scapă printre degete.

Prima dată am văzut-o în facultate, când doamna profesoară Antoaneta Tănăsescu a adus-o la un curs, să ne arate ce înseamnă ineditul. Am fost uimiți –
Manua
Impossibile affermare di aver finito di leggere questo romanzo: sono centomila miliardi di combinazioni diverse che contribuiscono alla creazione di infiniti sonetti. Un esperimento di scrittura combinatoria entusiasmante e unico davvero! Da tenere sul comodino e sfogliare, di tanto in tanto, per scoprire una nuova combinazione.

It is impossible for me to say that I actually finished reading this book: there are One Hundred Thousand Billion different combinations which contribute in creating infi
Bennievermeer
'100,000,000,000,000 Sonnets' is a nice online version of Raymond Queneau's 'Cent Mille Milliards de Poèmes' ('Hundred Thousand Billion Poems'). Composed of fourteen sets of ten lines, where each line can be combined with thirteen from the other sets, the work contains a total of 1014, or one hundred thousand billion possible sonnets. Each of these follows the same rhyme scheme and uses the same rhyme sounds - a feat which compensates for the apparent nonsensical nature of the sonnets.

Vladuţţ Ke
May 29, 2014 Vladuţţ Ke added it
Shelves: poetry
Hopefully one day I get to his number. Brilliant
Andrew
I was given this book by my wife as a present over the holidays. We found it in an incredible Left Bank book shop in Paris. The price was hefty, but she knew that I'd regret the rest of my living days if I passed it up. I love her for getting this for me, and I adore the book, too.
L.S.
It is really strange to consider this book "read" having in view that zou cannot ever read it.
Jonas Dornelles
Only read the linear poems, and some alternated rimes. Fabulous. If you read this 24 hours per day you it would take like 200,000,000 years to read them all. Eternal wheels of poetry craft. Raymond Queneau, satrape maître!
Brian R. Mcdonald
Jul 31, 2012 Brian R. Mcdonald marked it as to-read
Shelves: oulipo
Does anyone other than myself find it odd that the Polish translation is listed under "other editions" but the English translation is not listed either as another edition or as a separate book?
Walid
generative poetry, my ass! this analogue version beats the crap out of all contemporary digital ventures within this field. plus, i love the humour...
Leigh
Queneau, vous etes un douchebag, mais je vous coeur.
Carrie Knerr
Carrie Knerr marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Jordan Shweky
Jordan Shweky marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Alex Carlman
Alex Carlman is currently reading it
Apr 26, 2015
Brad Harris
Brad Harris marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Yo Alongkorn
Yo Alongkorn marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Joey Dhaumya
Joey Dhaumya marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Iris Nuţu
Iris Nuţu marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Blanca Wäldchen
Blanca Wäldchen marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Kateryna
Kateryna marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Liliana
Liliana marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Cosmina
Cosmina marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Daiana Mavlea
Daiana Mavlea marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Queneau was born in Le Havre in 1903 and went to Paris when he was 17. For some time he joined André Breton's Surrealist group, but after only a brief stint he dissociated himself. Now, seeing Queneau's work in retrospect, it seems inevitable. The Surrealists tried to achieve a sort of pure expression from the unconscious, without mediation of the author's self-aware "persona." Queneau's texts, on ...more
More about Raymond Queneau...
Exercises in Style Zazie in the Metro The Blue Flowers Pierrot Mon Ami We Always Treat Women Too Well