Angel Souls and Devil Hearts (Shadow Saga #2)

Angel Souls and Devil Hearts (Shadow Saga #2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  554 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The second Peter Octavian novel in the classic urban fantasy series- reissued in a brand-new package-by the award-winning author.

Published (first published 1995)

Bianca
Absoloutely Brilliant! I was given the first book by the rep that we meet with at the store. And while I normally stick to reading and reviewing Young Adult and Children's books for the most part (being a childrens specialist bookseller), The first book captivated me so much that I rushed out to buy the second! And in my opinion it is actually better than the first. The storyline is stronger and you feel the main characters pain and misery as they are trying to overcome a very formiddable oppone...more
I'm not a big fan or reader of horror (which this definitely falls under), but as an outside genre reader, I thought that there was too much gut-and-gore type horror. Demons rip out body parts all over the place, which isn't scary... just plain gross. It was more thrilling to hear the thoughts of the villain, whose path to insanity is as easy as the path to Hell.

One of the reviews on the back of this book said that it was "funny and original." For a vampire book, it certainly original, but it wa...more
Sally Bisbee
Of Saints and Sinners, Angel Hearts and Devil Souls. The Shadow Saga. As the vampires of the world prepare to do battle with humanity, and each other, the possibility of a new life for those that remain is what spurs them on in their bloody quest...

I couldn't find "Of Saints and Sinners" in goodreads but it's part of the saga. If you're interested, you really should find it.
Thee_ron_clark
Jan 15, 2008 Thee_ron_clark rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of vampire, action, and supernatural novels.
Shelves: vampires
Amazingly, this novel was even better than the first in the series which I loved. I read this one first and went back to re-read it after getting and reading the first in this series. It continues the story of vampires battling their brainwashing at the hands of the Catholic church, the supernatural minions of the church, and each other.
Nkai Moonwatyr
This was the book that hooked me into the series and started my fascination with vampires in general. The characters are real and full of depth, the story will suck you in and hold you tight and will stay with you long past the last page. Years later this still remains one of my most favored books!
Louis Carvalho
I really liked the world and vampire mythos the author created, but this series is not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach. Sex and gore (sometimes at the same time) are not only present but described in what I consider to be an unnecessary level of detail.
Colleen
Often doesn't matter if series books are read out of order, but now that I have started #1, I realize my enjoyment of this one suffered greatly from not having the background. But I enjoyed it enough to start #1, Of Saints and Shadows.
Kendra
Loved all of the twists and turns through this book! The author pulls no punches with characters, thoroughly enjoyed it! Diving into the third book tonight!
Nena
A quick read, short on vocabulary, but a good plot. Has the feel of a vampire thriller. Good for reading on the run and travel, or easy thinking.
Tasha
If you can't say something nice...I was tickled by the Lovecraft inspired demon names. And I like the gargoyle on the cover.
Nina
not as good as the first but I love this series all the same. brings me to tears almost every time.
Not my favorite of the series, but still needed to move on to the next book.
Jeremy
Golden has an interesting take on the origin of vampires.
Cindy
It was okay. Didn't keep my attention very well.
Some Small Silence
This may be the worst book I've ever read.
Lorraine
Really enjoyed reading this book.
Cathy
Jul 18, 2009 Cathy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Waiting in the stacks
Donna Fowler
Donna Fowler is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2014
Devin
Devin marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Graftonhair
Graftonhair marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Janel Flynn
Janel Flynn marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
  • Lifeblood (Vampire Files, #2)
  • Under the Fang (The Horror Writers of America)
  • Writ in Blood (Serenity Falls, #1)
  • Vampyrrhic
  • Manitou Blood (Manitou, #4)
  • A Dozen Black Roses (Sonja Blue, #4)
  • Of Truth and Beasts (Noble Dead, Series 2, #3)
  • Vampire World III: Bloodwars (Necroscope, #8)
  • Dead Mann Walking (Hessius Mann #1)
  • Blood Pact (Vicki Nelson, #4)
  • Vampire Junction
  • Brides of the Impaler
  • Bestial
  • Witchery: A Ghosts of Albion Novel
  • Dark War (Matt Richter #3)
  • Twilight of the Empire (Twilight of the Empire, #1-3) (Deathstalker)
Christopher Golden is the award-winning, bestselling author of such novels as The Myth Hunters, Wildwood Road, The Boys Are Back in Town, The Ferryman, Strangewood, Of Saints and Shadows, and (with Tim Lebbon) Mind the Gap. Golden co-wrote the lavishly illustrated novel Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire with Mike Mignola, which they are currently scripting as a feature film...more
More about Christopher Golden...
The New Dead: A Zombie Anthology Hellboy: Odd Jobs Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 1 Out of the Madhouse (The Gatekeeper Trilogy, #1) Hellboy: Odder Jobs