Start by marking “Trust Us, We're Experts Pa” as Want to Read:
Trust Us, We're Experts Pa

Trust Us, We're Experts Pa

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  221 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The book that unmasks the sneaky and widespread methods industry uses to influence opinion through bogus experts, doctored data, and manufactured facts.
Finally a long-overdue expos&eacute of the shenanigans and subterfuge that lie behind the making of experts in America. (Jeremy Rifkin)
If you want to know how the world wags, and who's wagging it, here's your answer.
Published January 14th 2002 by Tarcher (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Trust Us, We're Experts Pa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trust Us, We're Experts Pa

Ian
The subject matter was very interesting (and pretty scary), but the prose was very dry. Also, given that it was written in the late 90's, much of the information is dated. Having said that, I still found the book to be interesting and enjoyable.
Koshin
A very entertaining book on how everything in the media is spun and how easy it is to fabricate the truth.
Taryn
I read this for my Law & the Media class. Really interesting.
Alan Chen
The book is a systematic takedown of the various conflicts of interest, spin methods, public relation artists, corruption antics, back scratching, pseudoscientific, dirt digging, expert posing, fact manufacturing, misleading, mis-characterizing, and outright lying used by professional operatives hired by various odious industries to control the future, shift thinking, stop watchdogs and fatten their profits. Or at least, that's what the authors want you to think. In reality, the book fails for a ...more
Anna
This book was not an easy read and it took me ages to finish it.

First of all, the subject itself is not much fun to think about. It's rather all doom and gloom, although I firmly believe everyone should familiarize themselves with this kind of information instead of hiding our heads in the sand and pretending everything's ok.

Secondly, the book has a very dry, textbook-like style, and that's a pity because more people would read it if it were more accessible and "fun". Of course, it's hard to ex
Todd Martin
"Trust Us We're the Experts" is very similar to the authors' earlier work "Toxic Sludge is Good for You" in that it discusses how pervasive the Public Relations industry has become and the many ways they are able to influence attitudes (both for good and bad).

There are two important points that the authors make that everyone should be aware of:

1) PR is EVERYWHERE and more often than not it is cleverly disguised (since its disclosure reduces its effectiveness). It takes the form of astro turf or
Simon Wood
THE WHORES OF DECEPTION

"Trust Us, Were Experts" is one in that pair of intrepid reporters (John Stauber and Sheldon Rampton) remarkable series of books on the Public Relations industry and the manipulations and deceptions that go on in so-called Democracies. In this outing they don their white coats, enter the lab and firmly fix the genus Impartialis Expertis under the microscope. The results are not edifying.

The idea of scientists being full of integrity, "scientific", rigorous and impartial i
Mike
Very informative and the only fault I can find with it is their lack of dealing (much) with the MEDIA and how it is one of the greatest influences in the misuse of scientific data.

Here is a portion of a review that can be found on Powell's Books:

*You think that if a scientist says so, it must be true? In the early 1990s, tobacco companies secretly paid thirteen scientists a total of $156,000 to write a few letters to influential medical journals. One biostatistician received $10,000 for writin
Harry Piuze
That book was an eye opener many years ago. I never saw science and how our society prostituted it the same way after! Sadly ... It appeared after that it is the norm in almost everything. Economy over truth! All the time!
Veronique Perrot
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Thomas
I had just moved to Washington, DC and I was a long-time reader of Tom Tomorrow's comic (This Modern World). Tom illustrated the cover, so I took that as an endorsement and bought this book.

It's incredibly interesting yet incredibly dry. Definitely the kind of book that sells a couple thousand copies within the beltway and few outside of it. Still, if you want to know where the term "junk science" came from, or how good the bad guys are at getting the public to turn on science and act against th
Matthew
Fantastic book on how the media influences public perception / opinion. Big business bribes politicians and manipulates science daily in medicine, agriculture, and technology.

Once you learn how to spot propaganda, you can make better decisions that will help you live a better quality of life in all areas.

This is an eye-opening book about the public relations industry and how the public is deceived daily.
Linda Riebel
You won't be totally surprised to find out that people are making a lot of money by telling outrageous lies, but this book will show you how they do it for big business. The "experts" in the title are PR (public relations) specialists, aka spin doctors, who, for a fee, will set up phony front groups, create a fog of misinformation, conduct smear campaigns, and more.
Spencer
The next time you buy something because it's been "tested" by a scientific panel or institution, you may want to read this book.....and then move to Bora Bora and go off the grid forever!! Some pretty messed up things going on under the aegis of "science". Caveat Emptor, baby!!
Tom Darrow
Good information and topic, but it's very dense and time consuming to read. It's very well researched, but most of the sources are 90s, which makes it less reliable than other, more modern, works.
sologdin
good primer on PR industry. probably the signature text from this pair of authors, who've written number of other narrowly focused items on particular PR conduct.
Wyatt
Manipulation is just another word for marketing! :-) Great read for looking at how far manipulative marketing techniques can go. Think black hat marketing.
Chandra
Not that we are naiive, but pseudoscience is a lucrative industry. Industry pays more for science than NGO's can afford in most cases.
Themistocles
Pretty good if your eyes have been closed, but I was expecting juicier stuff...
Jon
good look at pr mischief, everyone and their mom should read this
Kat Lynch
Good stuff, covering a wide swath of industries/sectors.
Sally
Apr 11, 2008 Sally marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
at library
Nikita
Nikita marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Corey J
Corey J marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Maham
Maham marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
  • Toxic Sludge is Good For You: Lies, Damn Lies and the Public Relations Industry
  • Pr!: A Social History Of Spin
  • The Obama Syndrome: Surrender at Home, War Abroad
  • Your Call Is Important to Us: The Truth About Bullshit
  • Watergate: The Corruption of American Politics and the Fall of Richard Nixon
  • The Republican War on Science
  • OBD: Obsessive Branding Disorder: The Illusion of Business and the Business of Illusion
  • The World According to Monsanto: Pollution, Corruption, and the Control of the World's Food Supply
  • What Liberal Media?: The Truth about Bias and the News
  • Wall Street: How It Works and for Whom
  • Adventures In A Tv Nation
  • Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media
  • Blinded by the Right: The Conscience of an Ex-Conservative
  • The Case Against the Global Economy: And for a Turn toward the Local
Weapons of Mass Deception: The Uses of Propaganda in Bush's War on Iraq The Best War Ever: Lies, Damned Lies, and the Mess in Iraq Mad Cow USA: The Unfolding Nightmare Banana Republicans: How the Right Wing is Turning America Into a One-Party State Toxic Sludge is Good For You: Lies, Damn Lies and the Public Relations Industry

“Just as war is too important to leave it to the generals, science and technology are too important to leave in the hands of the experts.” 1 likes