Start by marking “Red Sky in Mourning: A True Story of Love, Loss, and Survival at Sea” as Want to Read:
Red Sky in Mourning: A True Story of Love, Loss, and Survival at Sea

Red Sky in Mourning: A True Story of Love, Loss, and Survival at Sea

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  209 ratings  ·  44 reviews
New available in paperback, a true-life adventure story with everything: page-turning suspense, remarkable acts of courage, wrenching despair, and a triumphant, life-affirming ending.

Red Sky in Mourning is the story of Tami Oldham Ashcraft's 41-day journey to safety, which she survived through fortitude and sheer strength of character. Interspersed with flashbacks to her r
Published July 16th 2003 by Hyperion (first published October 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Red Sky in Mourning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Sky in Mourning

The Endurance by Caroline AlexanderSailing Alone around the World by Joshua SlocumEndurance by Alfred LansingMaiden Voyage by Tania AebiKon-Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl
Sailing Cruising
25th out of 143 books — 116 voters
Into Thin Air by Jon KrakauerA Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonInto the Wild by Jon KrakauerThe Call of the Wild by Jack LondonKon-Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl
Tales of Adventure
101st out of 266 books — 307 voters

More lists with this book...

Diane
Red Sky in Mourning is often cited in the survival literature. Tami Oldham Ashcraft tells her own story of sailing from Tahiti to San Diego and capsizing in a hurricane. Her boyfriend is lost at sea and she awakes alone after being unconscious for 27 hours. She has the sailboat, a good amount of fresh water, canned food and other provisions, so more than many survivors. Her story is much more the story of the emotional survival for 44 days as she pilots her mastless, broken craft to Hawaii. She ...more
Perrin Pring
I found this book in a used book store and picked it up on a whim. It only took me an afternoon to read, and I greatly enjoyed it. Red Sky in Mourning is nineteen-year-old Tami Oldham's nonfiction account of her life as she sets off from home and begins to sail the Pacific Ocean, or at least part of it does.

Red Sky in Mourning can be divided into two tales. There is that of before the hurricane, and that of the aftermath of the hurricane. Oldham and her fiance were sailing a yacht across the Pa
Natalie Sharpston
Red Sky in Mourning was recommended by a friend — one of the sailors with whom I crossed the Pacific Ocean in a 42-foot sailboat a long time ago. I checked the book out from my local library and read it in two sittings. Tami’s story made me even more grateful that we completed the voyage safe and sound.

A line I could relate to: “…a wave sent the hull airborne into a free fall that smashed down with a shudder.” I remember the pounding we took as we beat into the wind for days on end.

One of my fa
Cecelia Hightower
The title of this book is a play on the words of the sailor's adage "Red Sky at Night, Sailor's Delight; Red Sky in the Morning, Sailor's Take Warning". This saying relates that if there is a red sky in the evening the weather the next day will be good and if there is a red sky in the morning there is a storm coming, no matter how calm the water and weather is at the time when you first see the sunrise.

As Betty told me, this book is actually a love story. It is a good love story and a great desc
John Branney
This lady went through a tragic ordeal that most of us will never experience. However, I believe the author 'missed the boat' when she wrote this, figuratively speaking of course. The author struggled to adequately describe the unbelievable trauma and psychological drama she experienced during those thirty some days she spent bobbing like a cork, hoping to be rescued. Although she wrote about almost committing suicide, I did not feel that before her suicide contemplation, she adequately describe ...more
Clare Smith
Very much enjoyed this account as a human interest story, a technical tale and as a blue water cruiser myself. My husband does frequently question why do you read those books. Well I do because they give an honest awareness of the pitfalls and the joys. Maybe not so we'll written but I can forgive that as this was an account not a literary effort.
Sharon
A very real account of a tragic marine event. Tami wrote this with humility and heart. A truly horrible life event to survive. Bound to deliver a sailboat, Tami and Richard, two very experienced yachtsmen, set out on their voyage and cross paths with a hurricane. Horrific in its detail and description of the sheer terror that Tami experiences. A triumphant survival tale as well. The spirit of this woman shines through. I found the sadness Tami and the owners felt at the destruction of the yacht ...more
Beth
Was a good read...maybe abit too much detail..but I am not a detail kind of person.
Sherry
An incredible story told by Tami Oldham, a young woman who survived 41 days alone at sea after her fiance was swept overboard in a horrendous hurricane. Although a person skilled in sailing would understand more fully the endurance test she experienced, even a non-sailor perceives her survival is nothing short of miraculous. More importantly, the amazing insights Tami discovers about love and loss as she struggles for her life, sometimes tempted to join her lover in the depths of the sea, are pr ...more
Lis
Audiobook version. While it was interesting to hear the story in the author's own voice, ultimately I think it would have served the book better to have a professional narrate it. The story itself was not nearly so interesting as other survival tales I've read. The worst part of the story was, of course, the shocking and sudden loss of her husband-to-be; her own survival was not actually all that harrowing, otherwise. Most of her difficulties arose from being grief-stricken, and (understandably) ...more
Jessi
A great story about love, courage and overcoming odds that are stacked against us - even when it seems impossible. Really, it is about survival. This is a true story that is written in a way that really allows you to become the narratress and relive the events that shattered her life. Difficult at times, I appreciate how she allows us to experience this with her and to grow from it - learning to appreciate all that we have. This is a very quick, short read, and is intriguing from cover-to-cover.
Kristi
I currently live on a powerboat, cruising the San Juan Islands and Puget Sound. We wintered in Friday Harbor, where a new friend recommended this book (she is a sailor).

Not sure I will ever work up the courage to do much ocean boating, but I would not say this book has scared me away from the cruising lifestyle. Though I do not like 'bumpy water', I know the basics to navigation and our boat systems.

Perhaps I will meet Tami some day.
Emily
This book is about my husband's family's boat. Before they owned Hazana it belonged to an English couple. The couple hired two young sailors in Tahiti to sail Hazana to California for them. During the trip the young couple got caught in Hurricane Raymond. This book follows their story. It is an amazing story of love and survival. I am glad to have an inside look at the history of Hazana.
Marcie
I'm having trouble finding good books this year. I listened to this one on CD and the author's reading was distracting for me. This is the story of a woman who barely survives a hurricane that kills her fiance. She then must navigate and sail the disabled boat to safety on her own. The story was compelling but, even with the aid of a co-writer, I found the writing pretty cheesy.
M. Lynne
Sep 21, 2008 M. Lynne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes adventure stories
This is a great story of survival. It really moved along, and I had to read this in one sitting. I don't know how she remembered all the details but I imagine there were some that were added to fill in the blanks of her memory. I loved the Voice. It is always sad when someone as nice as Richard dies so young. I am glad that there was such a happy epilogue.
Misha
I liked this book better than Albatross for sure. The title says it all, it is a story of love, the loss of her love and then surviving at sea. The book gave me an appreciation for sea faring abilities, if the woman in the book hadn't learned about navigation and basic boat/sea knowledge, she would have perished. It was a good read.
KellyAnne
I actually listened to this on CD-- it was recommended by a friend. I'm not a sailor myself so I didn't understand a lot of the "boat" talk, (and I didn't particularly like the way the author writes, but it IS a true story), but it was a surprisingly enjoyable read for me and I got really emotionally involved in the story!
Rebecca
I do like a survival story and this one grabbed my eye on the shelves. I read it quickly - its about a woman's survival at sea for five weeks after being caught in a cyclone. To be honest i found her style of writing cliched and a little corny...although her story in its own right is a remarkable one.
Carolyn
I couldn't put this book down, but it really could have used a detailed illustration of the boat. There was so much sailing jargon that it was often difficult to visualize what she was doing. There was a glossary, but I needed a visual, as I know nothing about sailing.
Kim
I remember seeing this woman interviewed on a news program shortly after her ordeal and I thought how tragic it was. When I saw her book in the library I had to read it. So amazing she survived!
Wendy
Anastasia
Interesting story, but the writing was such that I had to give it 2 stars. Still, the author makes a strong case for women being as competent as men in whatever realm they find themselves.
Susie
Aug 06, 2008 Susie added it
Poignant, inspiring book about learning to grow through loss. This is a book that galvanizes what makes the human spirit unique, irrepressible and celebrates resilience.
Colleen Pence
A quick and amazing read. Recommended by a friend, this true story is about a woman forced to survive at sea after her fiance is pitched overboard during a Hurricane.
Michael
Jul 02, 2008 Michael rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sailors, fans of adventure stories
A well-written account of a life-changing event. The author's experiences are hair-raising, as well as beautiful. I had a hard time putting this down.
Loretta Matson
I listened to the audiobook, read by the author. Professional actors are better at reading, but this story is so gripping I could hardly turn it off.
Kristin
Great story and knowing it's true made it that more intriguing. All the back stories are fascinating too and the adventures they had.
Jim George
This lady is very brave, a true survivor. The book reinforces the necessity of knowing navigation if you are going to cross the oceans.
Jww
Mar 03, 2013 Jww rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: sailing
A poorly written account of a tragedy at sea. Melodramatic in the extreme and repetitive to the point of nausea.
Pam Fink
Good book. Had a hard time reading about the boat jargon and mariner details- but what a remarkable young lady.
  • To the Heart of the Nile: Lady Florence Baker and the Exploration of Central Africa
  • Godforsaken Sea: The True Story of a Race Through the World's Most Dangerous Waters
  • Maiden Voyage
  • North To The Night: A Spiritual Odyssey In The Arctic
  • Billy the Kid: A Short and Violent Life
  • The Voyage
  • My Old Man and the Sea
  • Other Voices, Other Vistas: Short Stories from Africa, China, India, Japan, and Latin America
  • As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me: The Extraordinary True Story of One Man's Escape from a Siberian Labour Camp and His 3-Year Trek to Freedom
  • A Rage to Live: A Biography of Richard and Isabel Burton