Start by marking “The Wild Rose” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Wild Rose

Jennifer Donnelly

The Wild Rose (The Tea Rose #3)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  5,470 ratings  ·  637 reviews
The vast multi-generational epic that began with The Tea Rose and continued with The Winter Rose now reaches its dramatic conclusion in The Wild Rose.

Longdon, 1914. World War I is looming on the horizon, women are fighting for the right to vote, and global explorers are pushing the limits of endurance at the Poles and in the deserts. into this volatile time, jennifer Donne
400 pages
Published by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Wild Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wild Rose

Naomi
Wow...how depressing...I can't believe I am giving this only two stars. I have been waiting for this book to come out and was INCREDIBLY excited to see it on NetGalley and even more priveledged that I was allowed to read an ARC. On that note, this isn't Jennifer Donnelly's finest work. Her other books, including her YA books have received nothing less than 4 stars from me. I found this one disappointing, forced and predictable though..and def. not up to her "standard" of writing.

Second, there w
Caitlin
Erin
Got my hands on an advance copy and all I can say is … WOW!! If Tea Rose and Winter Rose were turned up to 11 in terms of drama, emotion, plot twists and unforgettable characters, Wild Rose is turned up to – I don’t know – 12? 20?? This absolutely lives up to its predecessors, and then some. It’s tied with Winter Rose for my favorite of the three … but everyone has a different favorite for different reasons!

I could gush for pages, as this is very fresh on my mind – but I don’t want to steal ever
Chanpreet
This book is a whopper coming in at over 600 pages and set in locales across the world from 1914-1918. But let me tell you, do not be discouraged by its size. This is an amazing book. It's the third book in the Rose series by Jennifer Donnelly and its release has been very much waited for.

I don't even know where to begin. Ms.Donnelly has done such an amazing job with her research. She was very thorough and included some very important and relevant historical facts. And she did justice to them.

W
Misfit
Beth
I kind of knew that I wasn't going to like this book after I finished reading the second book in the series, The Winter Rose. You, the Rose Trilogy follows the lives of the Finnegan Siblings, Fiona, Sid and Seamie. I loved Fiona and Sid. Seamie not as much and Willa, his love interest, really not at all. That's the major problem with this book. Seamie and Willa are just not as likable as Fiona and Joe and Sid and India. Unlike the first two couples, Seamie and Willa are priviledge. They were edu ...more
Melissa (ladybug)
Sep 05, 2013 Melissa (ladybug) rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical fiction/romance lovers
Shelves: fiction, romance
Mariam
Wow...that ending is just....wow. I am still mind boggled. I need a few hours, or days, to gather my thoughts.

Update:
Although the information on the issue in the Middle East during the early 20th century was a bit bias, I still found the immense detail included to be extremely entertaining and intriguing. This historical fiction centers around the events prior, during, and after World War 1, and all the while the author was able to captivate readers with the characters and their struggles, and t
Afton Nelson
I hated just about every character in this book. But I especially disliked Willa; selfish, reactionary, overly dramatic, self-destructive, stupid Willa. When she and Seamie started their adulterous affair, I hated him too. In fact, I kind of hoped that one of the other or both would just die and let me finish the book in peace, maybe with the focus on Sid and India's military rehabilitation hospital, or on Katie's overly ambitious personal goals. But no. Spoiler Alert: they didn't die. They kept ...more
Alycia
The Wild Rose takes place a few years after The Winter Rose. Seamus Finnegan is is a famous explorer. After an accident on Kilimanjaro that leaves his friend and love, Willa Alden hurt physically and emotionally, he must try to pick up the pieces of his life and try and move on. This is after he is left while Willa races away from her problems to Tibet.

True to the other books (The Tea Rose and The Winter Rose) we see what is going on with other members of the Finnegan and Bristow family. Fiona
Casey
I just finished this book last night and I am still reeling. I just can't believe that this series is over! I loved it so much. Jennifer is an amazing writer, she has a serious talent for weaving such emotional, vivid,and interesting stories. I just love the way she describes the settings in the book and has facts to add that don't take away from the plot or character development. When I started the Wild Rose, I was slightly concerned that it may not be the conclusion to the series that I was ho ...more
M. ~ B&B
I absolutely love the complexity that these stories hold. Jennifer Donnelly tells several stories at once and makes them intertwine in the most unlikely way. I love the historical detail she put into this and all the historical information reading this romance gives you. There were some predictable turns of events, but overall this story is so good and all-encompassing, that I don't care if some elements were predictable. Of course I wanted Willa and Seamie together, but it didn't bother me when ...more
Tazza
I cannot wait to read this one!!! OMG!!!!
Barb
If we had a rating system with half stars I'd give this 3.5 stars.

Like many other fans of Jennifer Donnelly I have been anxiously awaiting the release of this third and final installment of the Rose trilogy.

I've read and enjoyed all of Jennifer Donnelly's novels and this one is no exception. I read 'The Tea Rose' and 'The Winter Rose' back in 2007 so to refresh my memory before I picked up the conclusion to the trilogy I read a bit of the ending from 'Winter Rose'. I loved the Winter Rose and c
Sara
This started a little slow for me. Though not due to lack of plot(s). Don’t worry out there. Donnelly has outdone herself with plots. So many intertwined threads it wasn’t until about page 250 that I realized how they were beginning to be combined. Thus, it’s actually the multitude of plots…some left over from The Winter Rose…that clog up the reading speed.

There just isn’t that “I can’t put this down” feeling in the beginning of this one. I think it’s because that spark of love between the main
Karen

Author Jennifer Donnelly beautifully brings her "Rose" trilogy to a lovely and fine ending with The Wild Rose. Donnelly smartly recaps the history of the saga's characters and stories so that a new reader is not lost, and anyone who read the prior books, The Tea Rose and The Winter Rose are reminded of where we left those characters.

Again, in this Rose book as in the previous two, Donnelly's attention to period detail paints a vivid picture of the world between 1913 and 1919. I enjoyed the mult
Lisarenee
Notes: I read the ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) of this book. The book will be published on August 2nd.

Eight years ago Willa Alden had it all. She was on a climbing expedition (climbing being her passion) with the man she loved beside her. In a moment, everything changed. Tragedy struck, and an accident claimed her leg and almost her life. Sometimes in the heat of the moment, in the rage of passion, or in the midst of an uncontrollable sadness or anger a person may say something they would otherwis
Suze
I'm kind of sad that it's the last of this wonderful trilogy. I've really gotten to know the characters intimately during the course of this storyline. It's been sad, joyous, interesting, astonishing, and a really great ride.

The first of the trilogy really held me enthralled throughout the entire story of these amazing, yet real, characters. By the time I got around to reading this I had forgotten a lot, but somehow it all meshed together and the characters drew me into their lives once again.

Al
Lynn
Even though I had a hard time getting into this third story in the series I kept reading. I'm so glad I did because I really enjoyed the story of Seamie and Willa. I can't say that it was my favorite of the three books but like the other two books the writing was incredible. I love how Donnelly weaves her stories and intertwines her characters. I'm sad that this is the last book in this series, I'll miss these character.
I'm looking forward to reading Donnelly's Revolution and Northern Light.
Marcia
Wonderful series!!! My only complaint with this book is that the ending was tied up too neatly for me. Not that it wasn't the ending I would have wanted but it didn't seem to fit with all the struggles that that Seamie and Willa endured. I would have wrote a much different ending for Max too.
Chrissa Vasileiou
Δε θυμάμαι πότε ήταν η τελευταία φορά που ΜΙΣΗΣΑ ηρωίδα βιβλίου..Όχι απλά να μη μου άρεσε,να μη με ενθουσίασε,να με άφησε αδιάφορη..Να θέλω να τη δω να ΨΟΦΑΕΙ από την πρώτη σελίδα.Για να μην το θυμάμαι,μάλλον πάει πολύς καιρός.Γουίλα Όλντεν,πες αλεύρι...
Δε μου άρεσε αυτό το ζευγάρι,του Σέιμι με τη Γουίλα,από το δεύτερο βιβλίο κιόλας.Τη ψυλλιάστηκα τη συνέχεια και χαλάστηκα,έλα μου όμως που ήθελα να τελειώσω τη ρημάδα την τριλογία..Και πραγματικά,ευχαριστήθηκα όλες τις παράλληλες ιστορίες,χάρηκα
Dinjolina
I have to warn you:
You will be offended by my rew. Especially people that are firmly in the 'Jenny rocks/Willa is selfish' camp.

(view spoiler)
Amanda
It's 1914. England is about to declare war on Germany. The world is going to change forever, yet no one can dream of the devastation about to engulf the human race. Women are fighting for the right to vote. Explorers have landed on the South Pole and many are fighting to reach the peaks of the Himalayas. Set within this tumultuous time are Seamus Finnegan and Willa Alden, two people so meant to be together, yet so devastatingly torn apart.

Having successfully reached the South Pole, Seamus has be
Holly Weiss
Jam-packed with history, romance and adventure

Called by The Washington Post Book World as “a master of pacing and plot,” Donnelly paints with a vivid palette of espionage, blackmail, steamy romance, exotic places, women’s suffrage and politics. She is a born storyteller. The Wild Rose, her final installment of a trilogy is jam-packed with historical fiction, romance and adventure.

Drink mint tea in a Bedouin tent after desert wanderings sustained only by water, dates and courage. Ride an omnibus
Lucy
I am going to keep this one short and sweet (well maybe not so sweet), since I wasn’t asked to review this book. First off, let me tell you how much I LOVE Jennifer Donnelly. I have read all of her books and I pretty much beg people to read The Tea Rose and The Winter Rose. I have been waiting 5 LONG years for this book so you can imagine how I felt when it turned out to be such a disappointment. It took me 4 weeks to read. I just wasn’t interested in picking it up.

Donnelly’s previous two books
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Πέρασαν 9 χρόνια από τότε που κυκλοφόρησε "Το Τριανταφυλλάκι" και 3 χρόνια από την κυκλοφορία του "Άγριου Τριαντάφυλλου", τα δύο πρώτα βιβλία της επικής τριλογίας της Donnelly, και 2 από τότε που τα διάβασα κι εγώ η ίδια. Και όμως, παρά το μεγάλο χρονικό διάστημα που μεσολάβησε, θυμόμουν κάθε λεπτομέρεια, κάθε μικρό ή μεγάλο βήμα των πρωταγωνιστών της, κάθε χαρά και λύπη που πέρασαν, κάθε συναίσθημα που βίωσαν και μοιράστηκαν μαζί μας. Και μπορεί να υπήρξαν στιγμές που η λαχτάρα μου να διαβάσω τ ...more
Christy B
A thrilling conclusion to a epic trilogy. Although, I certainly wouldn't mind if this series kept going. There were a few characters I'd like to see more of, such as Fiona and Joe's daughter Katie, but I digress.

The Tea Rose was Fiona and Joe's story; and The Winter Rose was Sid and India's story; The Wild Rose was Seamie and Willa's story. And their story is just as complicated and full of ups and downs as their predecessors.

I liked Willa. I liked how adventurous she was, and how intelligent
Brenda Gail
The Wild Rose Summary and Review

First I would like to thank Jennifer Donnelly for writing one of my favorite trilogies that I have ever read. I loved each one of the books that made up this "Rose" trilogy. Even though each book is 600+ pages, I seem to finish them just as quickly as if I was reading a much shorter novel. I get so involved in the story and the characters that it is hard to put it down.

I actually picked up the first book of the trilogy by the sheer notion that I loved the book's
Emmy
The Tea Rose was fluff, pure, unapologetic romantic fluff, with some dubious and convenient plot twists thrown in to keep the story from collapsing in on itself. The wild Rose tries this formula again, but I found myself audibly snorting as I read my way through it.
The characters are tired and two dimensional. The families are heroic, forward thinking, altruistic, intelligent, years ahead of their time, and of course, good-looking. What amazing people. Let's see what counters this perfection, wh
Christa
Jennifer Donnelly is a very good storyteller, and while I didn't always admire the main characters in this book, I got so caught up in the story that I just couldn't put the book down. I thought that the two main characters, Willa and Seamus, both made many mistakes, but I still wanted both of them to be happy. There were many great secondary characters, mostly from the previous books in the series, and I enjoyed reading about all of them.

A terrible accident separates Willa Alden and Seamus Finn
Historical Fictio...: The Wild Rose (#3) 8 64 Aug 15, 2013 12:26PM
Can someone explain.... 5 67 May 10, 2013 09:24AM
Do you like the cover? 2 31 Aug 15, 2011 07:57PM
I love Jennifer Donnelly 1 19 Apr 22, 2011 04:01AM
impatiently awaiting... 7 83 Jul 19, 2010 08:55PM
  • Soldier of Fortune (Rakes and Rogues of the Restoration, #2 )
  • Rivals for the Crown (Highland, #2)
  • Queen of Swords (Wilderness, #5)
  • Lady of the Butterflies
  • The Jewel of St. Petersburg (The Russian Concubine, #0)
  • The Highest Stakes
  • The Boy Who Granted Dreams
  • A Race to Splendor
  • City of Promise: A Novel of New York's Gilded Age
  • Exit the Actress
  • Call of the Kiwi (In the Land of the Long White Cloud saga)
  • Defiant (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3)
  • Before Versailles: A Novel of Louis XIV
  • The Second Duchess
  • The Silver Rose (The Dark Queen Saga, #3)
  • Sapphire Skies
  • Into Temptation (The Spoils of Time, #3)
  • Wintercombe (Wintercombe, #1)
Jennifer Donnelly is the author of seven novels - Rogue Wave, Deep Blue, Revolution, A Northern Light, The Tea Rose, The Winter Rose and The Wild Rose - and Humble Pie, a picture book for children. She grew up in New York State, in Lewis and Westchester counties, and attended the University of Rochester where she majored in English Literature and European History.

Jennifer’s first novel, The Tea R
More about Jennifer Donnelly...

The Tea Rose (3 books)
  • The Tea Rose (The Tea Rose, #1)
  • The Winter Rose (The Tea Rose, #2)
A Northern Light Revolution The Tea Rose (The Tea Rose, #1) The Winter Rose (The Tea Rose, #2) Deep Blue (Waterfire Saga, #1)

“Namaste. It was a Nepalese greeting. It meant: The light within me bows to the light within you.” 13 likes
“Bravery is feeling fear but doing the thing anyway.” 12 likes