Start by marking “The Energy of Prayer: How to Deepen Your Spiritual Practice” as Want to Read:
The Energy of Prayer: How to Deepen Your Spiritual Practice

The Energy of Prayer: How to Deepen Your Spiritual Practice

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  597 ratings  ·  54 reviews
In order to understand why people pray, The Energy of Prayer examines the applications and effectiveness of prayer in Buddhist and other spiritual traditions. Arguing that prayer is not about asking some external force for what we need, but about creating an internal environment in which it is easier to get what we want, the book introduces several methods of prayer. These ...more
Published March 10th 2006 by Parallax Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Energy of Prayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Energy of Prayer

Nimue Brown
This is a beautiful little book exploring the idea of prayer from a Buddhist perspective. It includes considerations of why we pray and who we pray to, as well as offering some simple prayers from this tradition. With its emphasis on responsibility for self, Buddhism is in some ways less akin to the Judeo-Christian tradition and more in tune with Pagan thinking. In many traditions the idea of prayer involves putting things into God’s hands. A Buddhist remains responsible for themselves, and so u ...more
Kasey Jueds
This little book is surprisingly rich--it's the first of Thich Nhat Hanh's I've read, and offers such an expansive view of prayer. It's one of those books I wanted to begin again from page 1 as soon as I finished reading it. Among the heartful and provocative topics I remember (off the top of my head and in no particular order) are: The Lord's Prayer explained from a Buddhist perspective; the idea of praying to one's ancestors and/or to living family members/loved ones; questions and thoughts ab ...more
Chrissy
This book answered a ton of questions for me. It gave some really good examples of how you can pray for something and it can appear that you don't have an answer. Or why some prayers appear to be answered and others are not. The explanation gave me a lot of peace of mind.
Thich Nhat Hanh also gave a really good Buddhist analysis of the "Our Father" prayer. I could hang with much of it but there were some parts of the explanation that really went far over my head. I will read it again some day and
This book is really good and it's open my perspective of prayer. As a Buddhist I ever thought that prayer is useless since I believe that what will happen to me is depend on my action. I will responsible of my own karma. But now I realize that sometimes prayer is useful, yes it's not always work but at least it can strengthen your belief, hope and faith.
Hope I can finished this book by end of this year.
Glenna
I loved the way he can share his teachings and regardless of your faith practice or journey, it applies. Particularly like the concept of praying to (or I prefer through) your grandparents, or ancestors, and the idea that their cells are part of you. That connectedness is very powerful. Also, that no matter what our tradition, we all share the desire to unite with God.
Natalie
I loved the meditation practices in this book, they were simple and therefore easy to recall.
Konstantin
First, some context: I have had enough experience with various spiritual traditions to have benefited in some way from all of them, although it isn't always clear how certain words like "prayer" or "God" used by one tradition translate into my personal practice and daily experience let alone compare to the writings from a different tradition (like Buddhism, Advaita, etc). I originally borrowed the book from the library because I wanted to better understand what the "Buddhist" perspective on pray ...more
Ursula
The best part of The Energy of Prayer was the section at the end with specific meditations. I particularly loved the prayer/meditation that centered on visualizing yourself and your parents as five-year olds. Having read many other books by Thich Nhat Hanh, I was expecting a little more than what I found in this volume. The only statement, for lack of a better word, that stuck me as profound was the notion of praying to people that have passed away. In the past, I've heard of people praying to t ...more
Chanita.Shannon
Prayer as an inclusive, accessible practice that is not tied to a particular religious or spiritual affiliation... but rather can help anyone create a healthy life through the power of awareness and intention. Ultimately, author Thich Nhat Hanh presents prayer as more than just relaxation: is it a way to satisfy the basic human need to make a connection with something larger than our everyday self (the Universe!) :)

Carter West
TNH's characteristic calm and sweetness shine all the way through this little manual. He offers sound teaching regarding the context of authentic prayer, observing that prayer involves our whole body when done wholly, and that true prayer requires the backing of a commitment to practice one's faith. The book is especially strong in bringing to bear a mystical perspective on the spirit of prayer. Monks and nuns have for centuries known that prayer involves the mutual participation of God and the ...more
Garvin Goei
Maybe the most unrecommended Thich Nhat Hanh's book.

Hanh didn't mention anything scientific/empiric about prayer effect, only said that prayer is a form of mindfulness without told any proves of prayer.

Also, Hanh only talked about the unity of universe. We are same with the people we pray for, with the god, the Buddha, etc. I see it has not any benefit to the readers (or at least, to me).

I like Hanh's books, but this one is disappointing.
Trey Nowell
Another excellent book by Thich Nhat Hanh I would encourage any reader being willing to sit down for a moment and read. His wisdom is very insightful and teaches in this book that prayer is more than just asking for what you want. Also it draws excellent parallels between the Christian and Buddhist ways of viewing prayer and applying it to our lives.
Indu
A slim yet very insightful and inspiring book on prayer and meditation. The language is very simple and easy to follow. This book is one to keep on hand and return to every once in a while.
Ron R.
Great as usual from Thich Nhat Hanh

An insightful read for why we pray. Most importantly though, how we pray. I recommend it to everyone searching a spiritual way of life.
Willie Deuel
An excellent, brief meditation on prayer and mindfulness, and how prayer serves to connect humans to the Divine, to one another, and to release positive energy into the world.
Austin Wright
The coolest part of this book is the Buddhist breakdown, line-by-line of the Lord's Prayer...adie from that, I didn't enjoy this book too much at all.
Frightful_elk
Really disappointing. I was really disillusioned that Thich Nhat Hanh bought into so much mysticism that prayer can magically transmit healing or somehow or another send magical beams to change things.

I was expecting a really insightful exploration of how prayer changes your own inner life and how that change can transmit a ripple outward. I was expecting an exploration of techniques across traditions on methods of accomplishing this. But this was worthless superstition and exploration of super
Ami
A disappointing number from TNH; theologically scattered.
Gayathri
living spiritual on d go!!
Ki
This is a sweet little book. It explains Thich Nhat Hanh's view of prayer, the various types he uses, and how it's closely related to the Christian understanding of the concept (a matter of debate, no doubt, but a very interesting read).

It has some very beautiful meditation/prayers in the appendix, and as always Hanh's style is calm and beautiful to read.

I would probably check it out from the library before deciding if I wanted to buy it, but it is worth reading.
Kayleigh
As usual, Hanh has some very insightful observations about the mind, the spirit, and their union. Basically, this little book says that prayer and positive thought can help in medicine, in case of illness, hard times, or anything. It's almost like lovingkindness in prayer form, and I really liked that idea of sending positivity to people in other places. I will definitely add some of his meditations to my practice.
Lauren
i never really knew what prayer was or how it was supposed to work. thich nhat hanh writes clearly about meditation and the power of awareness and and intention. the author is a buddhist,poet and scholar and the reader is often reminded that 'prayer' is not religious but something that all human beings can benefit from when we look at it as something that helps us to hear our inner and higher selves.
Shannon Stoney
Thich Nhat Hanh has an expansive idea of the word "prayer." It's not asking a supernatural being to do something for you. What he means by prayer is something more like meditation.

The most helpful ideas have to do with handling difficult thoughts or meditations. These practices are also explained in some of Thay's other books, but it never hurts to go over them again.
Linda
Everyone, of any or no faith, could benefit from reading this little book. It is one of my favorites by my favorite Buddhist monk.
Bill Currie
Integrating mediation and prayer together to find peace. Thich Nhat Hnah explains the relationship between the two in developing your practice with the understanding of the power of prayer. He even suggests that 21 century medicine is accepting the power of meditation and prayer in healing. Why would one not accept prayer?
Rachel
I blame myself for my own expectations when reading this book. I assumed because of the title, much of it would be about How to Deepen a Spiritual Practice - instead it was about the need to have a spiritual practice. Only the last few pages had meditation instruction - I felt it was a little too late...
Ewa Krzeminska
Even though I really like,identify myself with and follow Thich Nhat Hanh's teachings/ways/ideas don't fully agree with his views about Prayer ... Believe Prayer is a much more profound, significant, mysterious and important soul matter: both as individuals and as a human kind group.
Rick
As usual, simply and powerfully written. For several months, some of the practical ideas and information about prayer rolled around in my head after I read it. I like to revisit small passages of it now and then (I better remember where I put it). Reading it is like a meditation.
Lyla
I have never read a book as focused and direct about prayer and the true force and power that prayer generates. Eye opening and refreshing, Thay's book helps to fill in the gaps in any foundation of prayer.
Sue
A beautiful book. Regardless of your faith background there is something here for anyone seeking to explore their spirituality. A book that lifts you up and inspires...and reminds you it's not about perfection, but the journey.
  • Letting Go of the Person You Used to Be: Lessons on Change, Loss, and Spiritual Transformation
  • Meditation for Beginners
  • A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness
  • Jesus and Buddha: The Parallel Sayings
  • Awakening Loving-Kindness
  • Being Zen: Bringing Meditation to Life
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
  • A Gradual Awakening
  • Work as a Spiritual Practice: A Practical Buddhist Approach to Inner Growth and Satisfaction on the Job
  • The Chocolate Cake Sutra: Ingredients for a Sweet Life
  • The Experience of Insight: A Simple & Direct Guide to Buddhist Meditation (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • Ruling Your World: Ancient Strategies For Modern Life
  • Buddhism With An Attitude: The Tibetan Seven-Point Mind Training
  • Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness: Walking the Buddha's Path
  • A Flash of Lightning in the Dark of Night: A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life
  • A Practical Guide to Buddhist Meditation
  • What Would Buddha Do?: 101 Answers to Life's Daily Dilemmas
  • The Myth of Freedom and the Way of Meditation
Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh is a global spiritual leader, poet and peace activist, revered throughout the world for his powerful teachings and bestselling writings on mindfulness and peace.

His key teaching is that, through mindfulness, we can learn to live happily in the present moment—the only way to truly develop peace, both in one’s self and in the world.

Thich Nhat Hanh has published over 100 ti
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...
Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation Living Buddha, Living Christ The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation Being Peace

“The most important matter for a practitioner is to be able to break through the veil of the material plane in order to enter the ultimate dimension and see the interconnection between us and all other phenomena in the world around us.” 0 likes