Start by marking “Wonderful (Medieval Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wonderful (Medieval Trilogy, #1)

Wonderful (Medieval Trilogy #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  912 ratings  ·  77 reviews

"Read this just for the pleasure," says Romantic Times of Jill Barnett's last luscious romance, Carried Away. Her marvelous talent for enchanting stories laced with sensuality is always a delight, and never more so than in this thirteenth-century tale of a brave knight who returns to the Welsh border to claim — and tame — his bride, or so he thinks....

After too many years

Published August 28th 2010 by BelleBooks, Inc. (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Wonderful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wonderful

Blacky *Romance Addict*
This was a lovely medieval romance, a funny and yet very emotional read <3

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The story - Lady Clio has waited for six years in a convent for the return of her fiancé Lord Merrick. She kept herself busy during the years by trying to make the legendary ale that would bring strength to anyone who drank it (something like Asterix and his potion XDXD), and nursing the grudge against her bethothed who left her waiting Photobucket
Lord Merrick returns, and finds his wife to be is nothing like he expected. Well,
Bark's Book Nonsense
Here's another oldie but goodie I read and reviewed in 1997.

I enjoyed this book so much! WONDERFUL is enchanting, uplifting and has enough history to place you in the world she's created but not enough to feel like a boring history lesson. The details of ale making were fascinating. Her characters are lovable, and the secondary characters are well drawn and add to the fun (I can't wait for Roger's story!). Clio teaches Merrick how to laugh and love and their relationship develops slowly from one
Booklover, Indianapolis
(Aug) 2,5* Years ago I read a short story by JB that I loved, found it hysterical. Shortly after, I bought this trilogy and the books have been languishing on my shelves ever since. When I decided to pick this up a few days ago, I was looking forward to a fun, enjoyable medieval highland read. Alas, 'twas not to be.

Lady Clio has been exiled to a convent to await her betrothed, Merrick. At first, she appears to be a quirky, strong-minded woman who will not let any man get the best of her. When h
Emmy
I'm sorry to be really critical about any book because I can imagine how a book can be a labor of love for authors, but I have to say that I did not particularly like this. I didn't hate it, but the writing was poor and I found the characters and the story inconsistent.

All of chapter 1 (granted it's only 4 pages) is used to describe Clio. I don't want to be told what a person is like, I want to learn through their actions. And then, frankly, Clio's actions throughout the book were contradictory
Cruth
"It seemed that unbeknownst to her father, the lecherous bishop had chased Clio for the entire previous week and had foolishly cornered her on the staircase, where he stole a kiss and squeezed her small breasts. So when it came time to doctor him, she had smiled sweetly and stitched up his wound in the shape of three sixes, the sign of the devil." loc.204

Author: Jill Barnett
First published: 1997
Length: 4870 locations
Setting: England 1269
Sex: Reasonably explicit.

A well paced story with plenty of
♡Karlyn P♡
Started strong, but the story meandered too much. While there were a lot of cute little moments and a likable H/h, I kept waiting for the actual story to happen. I was close to giving it a four-star rating as it was entertaining despite being light on substance, but the ending felt off from the rest of the books light and humorous tone and left much unexplained. Ah well.
Hannah
I think "dreadful" would be more appropriate. Neither a solid historical romance nor a bodice-ripper, this book muddies around in the middle ground. Interesting historical details get lost amongst the antics of the stupid, stubborn characters and inconsistently-paced plot. I've certainly read worse books, but after this mess, I doubt I'll read anything else from this author.
Erin Schneider
This has been one of my all-time favorites for YEARS!!! My mom gave this book to me back when it first came out (1997!) - we laughed about different moments in the book, for so long! And oh, how I wished for a Merrick de Beaucourt of my own!
Love, love, LOVE this book!!!
Lori
Just started reading it when I have a free sec on my phone. Makes me wish I had a beer in my hand.
Linda
The secret of WONDERFUL is in its goofiness. Think of a frothy top on a whipped latte. It is not a historical romance in the true sense because of how the heroine behaved. What occurred within the pages would have most likely never have happened in 13th century Great Britain.

For Lady Clio of Camrose it was about breaking the rules. Somewhat spoiled by her widowed father, she was left orphaned at the age of fifteen. King Edward, her official guardian, betrothed her to Lord Merrick de Beaucourt.
Tiffany
This is actually the first book in a series. I read the third book in this series first (Wicked) by accident. It came up on a Kindle Daily Deal so I bought it. It obviously still made sense, but I think I would have enjoyed it more for knowing some of the characters better.

Summary:

Clio is the ward of the king and promised to a knight and friend of the king. He is off crusading for six long years while Clio is left waiting for him after her father dies. Their first meeting is not love at first s
Kerry Allen
This had the potential to be cute fluff.

Clio is a Disney Princess, complete with eccentric pet cat, eccentric pet bird, eccentric pet Druid witch, and eccentric pet worshipful orphans.

Merrick demonstrated a sense of humor that made me buy the book. ("You've never seen your bride to be? What if she has a beard?" "Then I'll teach her to shave." Good on ya, sir.)

Unfortunately, proximity to one another brought out the worst in them.

Clio becomes overwhelmed with feminine angst ("I'm a poor oppress
Regan Walker
Delightful First in the Medieval Trilogy

This is the first in Barnett’s medieval trilogy (WILD AND WICKED follow)—and I loved it! Barnett injects humor effortlessly into a very convincing medieval tale of a stubborn, rigid knight and his innovative unorthodox lady. It wasn’t forced humor either, but naturally came out of the heroine’s personality and often the hero’s reaction. The second half of the book is more serious and looks like a more classic medieval romance. There are also some wonderful
Melissa
Two dollars down the drain. When I read the summary I thought this was supposed to be a humorous book. It was not funny at all. It was 90% boring, 10% sex scenes. And 100% irritating to the feminist in me. You definitely get the feeling that Clio is intended to be a strong, independent, unconventional woman. But really, the way she acts is like a bratty teenager who handles situations with a complete lack of grace and open-mindedness. How horrifying that this man is locking her away in a tower " ...more
Robin
I was about halfway through this when I started checking to see which characters would be featured in the rest of the series-- I was enjoying it enough to want to know. I was loving the bright, snappy dialogue, the plucky heroine and her brooding warrior love interest, as well as the supporting cast of quirky characters. It held me nearly to the end when the feel of the story really seemed to change. It became less lighthearted romance fun and moved, rather suddenly, to serious and heavy. It was ...more
Kbee
Laugh out loud, giggle and cried so caught up in it I couldn't put it down. Read it in one straight! Really, Really liked this book! Clio & Merrick are just made for each other it just take time for both of them to know it. Thud & Twatck are to much fun love how they think or netter how they don't think. LOL Love the old Welch wack and Roger.
Nancy Low
liirogue
Two-thirds of the way through, and I just can't go any further. The main character has the maturity level of a 13 year old - not exactly conducive to a very good romance. I had hoped she would change and grow as the book progressed, but so far there is no sign of it and I'm done hoping it'll happen.
Wanderer ♔ Wanderlust ♔
A little silly. Was ok for a quick read but soon heroine's antics became annoying. Then out of the blue, the ending became this serious, depressing book. WTF is up with that? Would've been 3 stars but the closing events were awful and did not fit with the rest of the book;
Tracy
The first time I have had the pleasure of reading this author. Came across this book as a free read on KOBO and found it to be a fun and humorous story. Loved learning about the ale making and the results that the "wrong" brew could bring about to the soldiers of the castle. Loved Merrick as the dark brooding warrior who doesn't have a clue about women or why his young bride would be so upset to be left in a convent for six years awaiting his return without a word from him in all that time. Very ...more
Lynn Weber
Started promising as a sweet kind of old-fashioned tale, but I ended up skimming the last half.
Gaby
My feel-good book. I read this for the first time in my early twenties and somehow those warm and fuzzy feelings never go away. As far as historical romances are concerned, this one is just so - so, but what makes it special is Merrick.

Merrick is a softer version of Colin of Berkhamshire (Lynn Kurland's From This Moment On). Or a Middle Age version of Malkom Slaine (Kresley Cole's Demon from The Dark).

I don't need any other reason to like this book other than Merrick. If anyone has a soft spot
Lena Donan
Bravo. Nasmiala som sa neúrekom. Veľmi podarené.
Natasha
A good read. Not really anything too out of the norm for this genre, but a good read. Clio and Merrick are two very strong characters and they drive the story. The reader is able to immerse themselves in Camrose castle, and feel as though they are truly a part of that world.

The real gems are the secondary characters; Thud, Thwack, Roger and Gladys all bring the story to life and show different aspects of Clio and Merrick.

I will definitely be reading more books by Jill Barnett.
Harriet
My first book from this author. It does start out a bit slowly, but the two protagonists are lovely and likeable people who struggle to learn about and form a relationship with each other. The descriptions were vivid and detailed without being overwhelming. In spite of the oddness (to me) of Merrick taking Clio to safety via an unsafe passage, instead of staying in the castle with his soldiers for defense, I got a bit teary during the last chapters.
Ewa
Feb 02, 2014 Ewa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: iv, re-read
4,5 stars
Elvia
Lady Clio is a blonde mischief maker. Merrick de Beaufort is a knight in need of some peace and quiet. What he is not expecting is the sweet convent shy woman he agreed to marry is anything but what he expects. Can love blossom from a woman who finds trouble no matter what? Will Merrick find love with Clio? Three guesses to how it ends. It's a romance but the plotline is sweet and it's okay. I liked it.
Sabrina (Soter) Sally
Come sempre i libri della Barnett sono molto divertenti e frizzanti con le sue protagoniste pasticcione e di una dolcezza disarmante. Però rispetto ad altri suoi libri, questo mi è parso un pò sottotono, sopratutto il protagonista maschile.. Non posso affermarlo con certezza perchè non leggo in lingua inglese ma credo che sia stato un pò tagliuzzato (questo spiegherebbe molte cose XD)
CJC
oh no - I was book shopping and there was a deal... I bought all 3 of these.
I really hope the next two are better. This was very strange - the pace was inconsistent, it was meant to be funny but it tried too hard, there could have been way more plot and a lot less smut.

It had potential but fell flat for me, it got high ratings so I had hoped to like it much more than I did.
Paloma
I was a bit hesitant on reading this book, but I am so glad I did. The characters are wonderfully written, and the heroine in it Clio, is quite a spit fire! There were so many spots in his book that I was laughing so hard I had tears rolling down my cheeks. I would definitely reccommend this book if you are a romantic at heart and you're tired of docile women in books.
  • Fairest of Them All
  • Through a Dark Mist (Robin Hood, #1)
  • The Key (Deed, #2)
  • The Dream Hunter
  • The Marriage Prize (Medieval Plantagenet, #3)
  • The Education of Mrs. Brimley (Chambers Trilogy, #1)
  • The Copeland Bride
  • Blue Moon (The Runaways, #3)
  • Promises Reveal (Promises, #4)
  • Lord of Danger
  • Rough Wrangler, Tender Kisses
  • Knight of Seduction
  • To Ruin the Duke
  • Castles In The Air (Medieval, #2)
  • Gypsy Lady
  • Love and the Single Heiress (Regency, #2)
  • By Possession (Medieval #1)
  • The Tempest: A Gisborne Novel
FACEBOOK Jill Barnett Books
Jill Barnett was born and raised in Southern California, in the kind of idyllic coastal town the Beach Boys made famous. But as a young girl she spent plenty of summers on her grandparents’ farm in Texas.

A gap in jobs in her mid-thirties sent Jill back to college and working toward her Masters degree. “I intended to finish school and teach, perhaps write college textboo
More about Jill Barnett...

Medieval Trilogy (3 books)
  • Wild (Medieval Trilogy, #2)
  • Wicked (Medieval Trilogy, #3)
Bewitching Wicked (Medieval Trilogy, #3) Dreaming Wild (Medieval Trilogy, #2) Imagine