Start by marking “Finding Grace” as Want to Read:
Finding Grace

Finding Grace

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  320 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Grace is seventeen and still unmarried, and for a girl from the country, that's socially unacceptable. When her parents try to force her hand, she flees and rejoins her brother and his wife. She finds a new life and a first real love. But the past will catch up with her...

-Midwest Book Review-

Trying to control your own destiny was not always viewed with the highest praise.
Published March 23rd 2011 by CreateSpace (first published March 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Finding Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Grace

Literary  Chanteuse
I won this book here on goodreads and am so glad because I loved it! It is set in the 20's at a time when women were still believed to a great extent to be possessions of their husbands. Grace is a strong country girl who leaves her sheltered life to escape the hold of this mentality. She begins her new life with uncertainty but with the help of her much adored older brother and his wife she finds her place and even finds the love she knew she was worthy of.

I love how the author was able to gi
Traxy Thornfield
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. The description sounded interesting, but I wasn't sure what kind of novel it was going to be, so I went into it with an open mind. It wasn't long at all before my attention was well and truly caught - hook, line and sinker.

Set in the days of the prohibition, 1927 to be precise, Grace Langdon lives with her brothers and extremely strict parents in rural Virginia. It's not a happy life. Her older brother Jack, her only friend, is shunned by the family a
GenieD
This might have been a book I liked, but Grace had an abusive father and stupid mother who were portrayed as Christians.
Nowhere did these people show that they were actually Christian people. They never had one action of faith in God or principles of Christianity. Yet the author chose to have them quote scripture once in a while, so these "christians" are who Grace needs to get away from to have a great life.
Baloney! I wonder if the author knows any real Christians at all.
Victoria
I've been meaning to review this book for a while now and I haven't gotten around to it. I really enjoyed this book and I related a lot to Grace. I won this book in a first reads giveaway and I was super excited to find it waiting for me right after I learned that I had won and to boot, it came with a personalized handwritten note from Ms. Pawley herself! I started on it immediatley and finished it in just a few days. I have not read anything else by her, but I see that she has a book out called ...more
Jennifer C
This is a lovely story reminiscent of days gone by. There are no steamy love scenes and none are needed. This book is completely focused on the relationships one woman has with the people that are most important in her life. Grace is a beautiful example of a true lady as well as her sister in law Alice. They are women that you want to be your friend. There are some editing issues but if you look beyond that, the story is captivating and heartwarming and one that can be shared with all generation ...more
Judy
Rather formulaic, with few surprises, this free download to my Kindle needed a proofreader. The number of typos in this eBook was a bit more than I like, causing distractions to the plot. The characters were good, tho.
Helya
After winning this book in a giveaway by Sarah Pawley recently, I finally got down to reading it. It had been sitting in the box that it was delivered in and I had almost forgotten about it until 2 days ago. Once I started reading it, I was hooked. I really connected with the protagonist, Grace, since she is independent, fiercely stubborn and has a passion for books. The time period of the Finding Grace really appealed to me since I hadn't read anything from the 20s before. It was inspiring to ...more
Laura McDonald
Sarah Pawley has been a long time supporter and contributer to Girlebooks, graciously offering her two books for free on the site. I've had her books on my "to read" list for almost as long, and I finally got around to reading Finding Grace. This was her first written of the two, but actually second in the chronology. "Oh, That I Had Wings" tells the story of young Jack Langton growing up in rural Virginia and then off to WWI. Finding Grace follows his younger sister, Grace, in her transition fr ...more
Kandice
Just the quotations from Jane Eyre made this book good, since it is my favorite of all time. I liked this book better than the first in the series. Something this book made me think about was that we never know the internal battles that those around us are fighting, so it is not our place to judge their lifestyle choices. People can change because of us if we try to see them as they can become. Henry changed because Grace saw that there was good in him.

I also love that Grace's character rose abo
Autumn Dickinson
This novel was beautifully done, capturing the very essence of a young woman coming into her own during the 1920's. Grace Langdon is a feisty lass with a will to be more than what is expected for a girl of seventeen. With a lot of courage, she explores the world outside the confines of her family farm.

I enjoyed going on the journey with Gracie as she walked through her days in wonderment of things like gas stoves and indoor plumbing. The love and passion that pours throughout the pages keeps you
MaryannC.Book Fiend
I won this book from a Goodreads Giveaway. This was a nice, enjoyable read. It is the story of 17-year old Grace Langdon who runs away from her home in Virginia after her parents try and force her into marriage. Grace heads to the big city of Chicago where her older brother John now lives with his wife Alice. There in Chicago, Grace adjusts to life living and working in this big, new city where she also becomes attracted to her brother's handsome neighbor Henry. I liked the tense attraction betw ...more
Nicole
I read this because I was borrowing my mom's nook during a vacation and needed something for a quick read. It's not my first choice of book, but was all right to entertain me for long car rides. I found it pretty predictable and thought some of the characters were pretty one-dimensional. I just found out this actually follows another book, but this was fine to read without having read the first one. I enjoyed the time period and the basic storyline of a young woman creating her own way and being ...more
Erin
I didn't know this was a Christian romance, and I wasn't really in the mood for one, but I did love this book! Great story, great romance. Somebody said it was too much like Jane Eyre, which I didn't see at all. The girl in the book referenced the book often, but I didn't find the story at all like Jane Eyre, which is my favorite classic. The hero was just a darker character, like Mr. Rochester. Any resemblance ended there. I look forward to reading more by this author!
Shana
I received this book today in the mail as a GoodReads First Read. I really enjoyed this book. It is a coming of age book of a young girl named Grace. It is set in the 1920's. The people Grace comes in contact with propel her along to becoming a young woman who can take care of herself, but who learns to trust others to take care of her heart. I loved it and am going to get Ms. Pawley's other book. I would recommend this to anyone!
Rachel
I put this on my trashy shelf not because there are steamy sex scenes (this is billed by many as a "Christian" romance), but honestly I would rather read a Nora Roberts book than this. The plot is boring and predictable. The characters have no real depth. The author seems to have a talent for not developing her characters or plot points. This could have been a much better book if it were written by a better author.
Tia Durrett
Not sure why this was recommended as a Christian novel, aside from a little praying and church attendance it didn't seem very religious based. I read all kind of books, not just Christian and this would have been fine without the unnecessary labeling. To call it a christian novel, and then use the phrase 'to hell with...' quite a bit seems a little contradictory. Just saying.
Lenore Kosinski
Totally satisfied....Grace is so spunky you can't help but fall in love with her.... And Henry is such a rake...even though I'm not a reader of the Austen's and Bronte's of the world, I have seen a movie or two and could feel the influences. Was worried when it kind of dragged after the big action climax, but the resolution was perfect for me. Just loved it.
Lisa
I actually found this book via the Kindle deal page and am glad I did. I find all sorts of little hidden gems this way. This is completely NOT my type of fiction however I found myself sucked in within a few pages. I only realized after that there was a prequel and subsequently read that one after which I also very much enjoyed.
Tara
I just finshed reading both Finding Grace and Oh, that i had wings, loved both books. But noted a discrepancy. I read Finding Grace first in which Grace says she won't see Charlie at Church because they are Methodist and the Hilliards are devout Baptist. In Oh, that i had wings, Jack wishes that Alice was a Baptist like his family?????
Veronica Parkinson
I really loved this book -- and it was free on my kindle to top it all off! Set in the 1920's, it follows a small-town girl as she makes a life for herself in Chicago. I can't speak for others, but I was rolling right along in a stready stream of laughter, tears, and utter anticipation until the very end!
Maryann Henry
I really loved this book! Sarah Pawley has taken us into the life of Grace Langley, a feisty young girl, who can't take anymore of her families abuse! She leaves, only to find her brother, and her new life. I finished this books a months ago, and I can still recall it the vivid settings.
MsFolio
A romance novella and much touted ebook.

The main character adores Jane Eyre - the book and the person - and she follows a similar path, from country yokel to mature young cosmopolitan wife.
Plot line is simple. Characterization a bit forced. Easy read. Not my style.
Merlyn Jyothi
Read this on my Wattpad - iPhone app. Although I did skimmed through a lot of the content, the reading experience itself was fun. The storyline is from another era, unbelievable that such a regressive context and way of seeing women still exists in some parts of our world today.
Sally
"Finding Grace" was a very engaging and enjoyable read. While the characters are reminiscent of "Pride and Prejudice" and "Jane Eyre", the plot and the background are refreshingly unique, and the classic romantic ideals renders the story all the more charming.
Halita Wilson
Just started - once I finish I will post my real review :)

This book is amazing so far. It really opens one's eyes to love, faith and strength. Sarah Pawley is a talented writer who writes from her heart. May the Lord continue to bless her with much success.

Misty
I love books with double-meaning titles. Grace is the young woman the story is about. She not only is able to find herself, but she comes to possess the ability to gracefully accept the challenges that have come her way.
Michelle
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway. It was a good book with a cute story. It was fun to read about the differences in the 1920's. I wanted to find myself connecting the the characters more and it just didn't happen.
Jane
I enjoyed this book but it was not one of my favorites. THe story was about a farm girl who left home to live with her brother and wife in Chicago. I enjoyed the historical references and Grace's strong character.
Harold Stierhoff
It has been so long since I read this book that I remember little about it. I do recall that it held me in suspense for quite some time. This is the second book I read after getting my iPad.
April
I won this book through Goodreads First Reads, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The characters were incredible, and I loved getting to know. The story was wonderfully sweet and kept my attention.
  • My Lady Gisborne: A Gisborne Novel
  • Beyond All Price
  • Love from the Ashes
  • The Oak Leaves (The Oak Leaves #1)
  • Love Finds You in Homestead, Iowa
  • Sons of Thunder
  • The Light Horseman's Daughter
  • Silken Threads (Wexford Family, #1)
  • Searching For Meredith Love
  • Touched By Angels (Loveswept, No 538)
  • Texas Hold Him
  • Crossing the Bridge
  • Love's Magic (Boadicea, #1)
  • Love in Bloom
  • A Stranger in the Family
  • Restore My Heart (Mustang Sally Trilogy #1)
  • Destiny (Spirit of Union #1)
  • Vanquished (The Roxbury Trilogy, #1)
Oh, That I Had Wings