Start by marking “Op-Center (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #1)” as Want to Read:
Op-Center (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #1)

Op-Center (Tom Clancy's Op-Center #1)

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  5,489 ratings  ·  82 reviews
TOM CLANCY'S OP-CENTER

... is a beating heart of defense, intelligence, and crisis management technology. It is run by a crack team of operatives both within its own walls and out in the field. And when a job is too dirty, or too dangerous, it is the only place our government can turn.

But nothing can prepare Director Paul Hood and his Op-Center crisis management team for wh
Mass Market Paperback, 387 pages
Published February 28th 1995 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Op-Center, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Op-Center

Jeff Cheney
It's a decent book with plenty of action and thrill...I just don't like Tom Clancy's style. He spends a lot of time telling you stuff that's really irrelevant; going on about what gauge and model the shotgun is and what type/brand of ammunition it holds and how many per clip, etc. I don't care about any of that information. It doesn't help the story progress and it certainly isn't fun to read unless you are a firearms aficionado...which I'm not. I respect the research that goes in to something l ...more
Todd
I got burned out on Tom Clancy while in college, so this has sat on my shelf unread for the past almost 20 years. Now I know why. While Clancy still designed and executed a timely plot for when it was published (1995), the rest of the book bears little resemblence to Clancy's Jack Ryan series or Red Storm Rising. The book starts with some action, but it takes almost until the end for the plot to divide into multiple plotlines that are more typical of Clancy novels. Nor is the action the breathle ...more
Gabe
For me is the first book I try in the famous Tom Clancy series, so I'm looking forward to see what is all about.

Pros
- interesting geopolitical plot unfolding with some twists and turns
- action packed scenes with snapshots from mainly US and south-east Asia and sometimes Japan locations
- pre-war building tensions and how some key leaders will act and react to those events

Cons
- quite descriptive and technical at times, maybe a bit to much as far as action goes, for the less interested in stats and
oOSarahOo
Je n'ai jamais beaucoup apprécié les romans de Tom Clancy et celui-ci n'a pas fait exception à la règle...
Angie
I decided to read this after meeting the original person after whom Gregory Donald was modeled, former ambassador Donald Gregory. He is a charming person, and I look forward to reading his memoir.
I found it tedious. There is a nice concept for the overall plot but no real character development, too many characters, and too much uninteresting technical details. It was clear the bad guys would get caught eventually but little else to be unraveled or to hold my interest. I read about 55% of the boo
Brett
I'm surprised to give three stars to this book, as I've read and intensely disliked most of Clancy's work, but this is not nearly so bad as many of his novels. Part of the explanation for that may be that, even though the cover bears his name, Clancy actually had little to do with the construction of this book. This is one of the many outsourced series that other writers pump out with Clancy's name on the cover. I doubt he even bothers to read them.

This is more or less a straightforward spy thri
Rose Munevar
I love Tom Clancy's books. They're exciting page turners from the start, and this one was no exception. He definitely has the formula down for writing good suspense!
I couldn't help but think how relevant this book still is some 17 years after it's publication in the N. Korea aspect. The only negative thing I can come up with is I had some trouble with the motive of the S. Korean rogue group that was at the center of the plot. Maybe it's due to my lack of knowledge of Korean history and culture,
Erika
I've never read a Tom Clancy novel before. Don't know what I've done with him. It was a great book that I literally couldn't put down. It took me less than a day to devour this book.

The story bounces back and forth between the US and Korea which can sometimes be a little confusing, I thought. The characters are introduced very quickly and it was a little difficult for me to keep them all straight. I had to go back and reference several times before I got it all figured out.

Great story, great pl
Paul
Larryjc
i have read a Tom Clancy novel before this. so i decided to come back to the beginning of OP Center. i actually had too much expectations but after i toned down my expectations, i enjoyed the book. the death of the guy that lost his wife moved me though. i would have preferred it if he didn't die. and the president making OP Center public at the end was against my expectation. i would have preferred it if it remained an unknown operation. i gave i 4 stars because it was a good description if esp ...more
Dan Towner
Interesting premise, North and South Koreans work together to prevent unification.
Eric
Pretty decent political/military thriller. Nothing new or surprising for Clancy fans, which isn't a bad thing. Not sure I'll read the rest of the series.
Kristine Hickman
A Clancy classic

Great story,smooth transition and excitement throughout the book making it hard to put down. Can't wait to see where the next story leads
Peter
(estimated date)

(was probably OK)

Paperback - gave it away.
Joe
A predictable, but solid, thriller.
Ruru Ghoshal
Thoroughly indifferent.
Shashenka
Was quite a fun and interesting read.
Scott
Don't get me wrong... I like Tom Clancy. The unfortunate thing is that this book, like many of James Patterson novels, is outsourced to some writer who crafts the content, and clancy's name is used to sell it. The book is fast paced and full of intrigue, to be sure, but the constant drivel about one character's loss of his wife got very old. Also, keeping track of foreign characters in Korea, all with names like Sun, Lee and Cho can be hard to do when the action is moving quickly.
Corey Tardif
I am a big fan of Tom Clancy's books, it took me about a week and a half to finish this book, and I gotta say it had very interesting characters and computer technology. This is book 1 in the Op-Center series, Op-Center is a Crisis-management team and the director is Paul Hood. The operatives of Op-Center investigate a growing crisis in North Korea and with the help of some of his allies, Paul Hood is the only one who can prevent World War III.
Martha
This book was difficult for me to get through, not because it was hard to read, but because it didn't hold my attention. I finished it, though, but mainly because I don't like to not finish a book. There were a lot of characters, some of which were hard to keep straight in my head. It is, of course, the first of a series. I will probably read at least one more in the series, but if I don't like it, I will probably give the rest of the series a pass.
Jaime
This book focuses on a terrorist attack in South Korea and its aftermath, especially concerning the US’s involvement. There’s a lot of politics involved, and it struck me that a lot of what’s said about the President in this book could be said about our current President. Interesting, since this book was written in 1995 or so.

Nothing outstanding about this, but it’s a decent entry in the espionage/intrigue genre.
Serge Boucher
Not actually written by Tom Clancy, but very close to his style. Good if you like that kind of thing.
Ian
In my opinion, you either like Tom Clancy or you don’t. I think is has more to do with the topics he writes about. If you do like him, most of his books are pretty good. You might like some more than others, but just about all of them are suspenseful and gripping. 9 times out of 10, you’ll be very glad you read his work.
Bill
It kept me reading, but -- oddly -- it was hard to keep the characters straight in my mind. I attribute this to a failure to clearly develop and identify the characters. It did have a bit of the feel of a "manufactured" novel. There are plenty of other books to read before I return to the Op-Center series.
Gerald Kinro
I liked it. It was published just before the Tokyo subway gas attacks. In this work, Clancy creates a similar attack in Korea. He adeptly described those chemicals of war, tabun and sarin (the one used in Tokyo). Aside from the location and some details, the similarities were shocking.
James Pasier
Dragged a lot. Not very clear, acts as if the reader knows military stuff, when we don't so it becomes confusing. Lots of subplots that are not necessary. And too many characters, we switch between a lot of them during the chapters, and it becomes unpleasant.
Susan Campbell
Book club choice, which I agreed to out of deference to The Hunt for Red October, a fave movie, by the same author. It takes two pages to describe a missile or an airplane (zzzz); difficult to keep track of which characters were from the North and South.
Dave
Op-Center, I thought, is a decent novel but I found it was hard to finish and not something that catches your interest and makes you want to continue reading. I will continue to explore the others in the series to see what happens.
Jillian
Awesome. I haven't read Tom Clancy before and I was very impressed. Very intricate story with many main characters but such a quick moving story line that I just went for the ride. Look forward to reading the next one.
Ashwath
The book is good overall. The plot is interesting and it is easy to visualize as the plot unfolds. Yet, there is something about the book that keeps us wanting more and that makes the book feel a little incomplete.
  • Hidden Agendas (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #2)
  • ruthless.com (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #2)
  • SSN: A Strategy Guide to Submarine Warfare
  • EndWar (Tom Clancy's Endwar, #1)
  • Splinter Cell (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #1)
  • The Deadliest Game (Tom Clancy's Net Force Explorers, #2)
  • High Wire (Tom Clancy's Net Force Explorers, #14)
Acts of War (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #4) Balance of Power (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #5) Line of Control (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #8) State of Siege (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #6) Mirror Image (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #2)