Start by marking “State of Siege (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #6)” as Want to Read:
State of Siege (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #6)

State of Siege (Tom Clancy's Op-Center #6)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,636 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Driven by greed, a group of U.N. peacekeeping soldiers becomes involved in activities on the wrong side of the law. When their tour of duty ends, the mayhem begins. Calling themselves the "Keepers," the rogue soldiers -- outfitted with stolen U.N. arms and ammunition -- devise a shocking scheme to get the world's attention... Meanwhile, Op-Center head Paul Hood has cleared ...more
Published June 7th 1999 by Berkley (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about State of Siege, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about State of Siege

Sameer
Jun 30, 2014 Sameer rated it did not like it
I am a long time Clancy Fan. At least for the books he actually DID Write. Those I have read every last one up to and including Threat Vector and love them immensely. Also I do actually like Net Force story line as well (Even there too the distracting Marriage Counselor role is thrust on me.).

The Op center Series in general and this one in particular Grated on my nerves. Given bellow are some of the points that I hate about this Book and the Series in general.

1. Unlike Rainbow Six, here you have
Jonah
Jan 05, 2016 Jonah rated it really liked it
This book is fantastic and I love how it twists and turns through the entire book. The book starts out slow but for the remainder of the book you never stop seeing new information or having your heart nearly stop out of shock for what just happened. I love this entire series and especially this book. I never could've thought of the plot going the way it did and there are great repercussions for the rest of the series.
Adiana Ray
Aug 29, 2014 Adiana Ray rated it really liked it
Review of Tom Clancy’s Op-Centre ‘State Of Siege’ by Jeff Rovin

Paul Hood the erstwhile head of The Op-Centre has resigned so that he can try and put his flailing personal life back on track. He leaves behind an organization with a impressive success ratio in all their endeavors to save the world. Yet even as his professional life shines his personal life is dismal. In a desperate bid to make amends, he takes his family for a trip to New York where his eldest daughter will be performing as part o
Dark-Draco
Sep 10, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I did enjoy it. It's one of a series of books about an elite US Striker force that can be deployed all over the world to 'help' American interests, but this one is personal. Paul Hood, leader of the Op-Centre, has retired to give his failing marriage another go. Him, his wife and son travel to New York where his daughter, Hayleigh, has been chosen to play her violin for a United Nations conference. But a group of ex-soldiers have decided to target the UN building, taking the children and the dip ...more
Levent Mollamustafaoglu
Acceptable book from Tom Clancy's Op-Center series. Each book in this series is written by a different writer and I am not sure what Clancy's role was (apart from inventing the series). In this one terrorists are targeting the United Nations building in New York while the Op-Center Director is leaving to pursue another career. But he, his wife and teenage daughter are part of a music performance and reception at the UN while the terrorist attack unfolds.

Readable, but not special....
Dan
Aug 01, 2008 Dan marked it as given-up-reading
Well, it's not often that I don't finish a book I start reading, but sometimes you have to make an exception.

This is the first time I've read (or attempted to read) one of these Tom Clancy books (though it's not actually written by him) and I wasn't impressed sadly.

The writing was ok, nothing special, but far too many characters and back stories were introduced too quickly and rather clumbsily, so you didn't have time to work out who was who before another character popped up and started to bore
Eleanor Groom
Jul 27, 2015 Eleanor Groom rated it really liked it
Very good and very interesting about the UN.
Peter Charleston
Mar 28, 2015 Peter Charleston rated it liked it
Nice story that held my interest.
Jeffrey Powell
Apr 05, 2014 Jeffrey Powell rated it liked it
fine. uncomplicated. okay airplane read.
Travis Phillips
As excellent as the rest.
Mike
Jan 29, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it
I am new to the op center series, beginning this book I was hooked immediately. It gives the reader a sense of tension coming from the terrorists point of view, the hostages, op center, and tension from many other charcters point of view. There are quite a few charcters to keep track of; that being said the twists and turns the book takes makes it pretty easy to remember all the charcters and their backgrounds. I would reccomend this book it had alot of action and was very hard to put down haha.
Subhodeep Bandopadhyay
Never read a Tom Clancy novel and this was not written by him either.

A good read in the sense that it keeps you on your toes but the level of detail that you expect from books of these kinds are simply not there.

It is too simplistic to say the least. The kidnappers are more like robots that normal human beings and also there is far too less human element in the entire book.

Also not having read the previous books is obviously a hindrance.
Mikhael Belanger
Dec 22, 2012 Mikhael Belanger rated it it was amazing
This was my first Tom Clancy book. Even though it is not written only by Clancy and it has no link with the Ryan universe, I still loved this introduction to the politico-thriller style. I went on to read just about everything from Clancy in the following months.

I do not remember the story all that well, but I remember going through it in a single night. I think this is a good enough seal of approval.
Phillip
Mar 16, 2012 Phillip rated it it was amazing
One of the best in the series, It brings hits a little closer to home the head of Op-Center's daughter is performing at a function where terrorists take the building and Paul Hood, Head of Op-Center has to figure out how to handle the situation and save his daughter and several others.
Delan
Oct 30, 2009 Delan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Adults (Intense violence and language)
Compliments: Very good action pack. Though it's kind of not possible that the terrorists can take over United Nation but that makes it exciting. It's kind scary for a kid to be hostage at United Nation. Paul, a op-center worker, had to rescue his daughter from the hostages.
Lydia Hale
Jan 01, 2015 Lydia Hale rated it liked it
I don't normally read books like this about terrorists and espionage. It was enjoyable, but I couldn't read books like this all the time, I'd get bored! Give me a good old fashioned Jane Austen novel instead!
Monique Mealue
May 24, 2012 Monique Mealue rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a very interesting book. I enjoy Tom Clancy's book. I started reading after my mom gave me one of his books and try to read all of them, but don't have a lot of time reading.
Ray
Mar 08, 2016 Ray rated it liked it
Exciting book. Quick read. Made me pause and say "well that can't be" about 3/4 of the way through when it seemed like it was about to end.
Kenzie Gordon
Apr 11, 2013 Kenzie Gordon rated it did not like it
Horrible - bad writing, bad dialogue, gag-inducing Americana and glorification of violence. My first Tom Clancy book and most certainly my last!
Juan Navarro
Sep 23, 2013 Juan Navarro rated it liked it
Jeff Rovin saw he crossed the fiction-fantasy boundary in the last book and wanted to do something more credible in this one. i was a nice read
Ayelet
May 22, 2012 Ayelet rated it really liked it
Interesting combination of characters all coming together. It is sad how ineffectual the UN comes off.
Greg Lang
Oct 11, 2012 Greg Lang rated it liked it
Tom Clancy's Op-Center series are a very entertaining read with larger than life characters.
Fittytiff
Aug 15, 2011 Fittytiff rated it really liked it
I read this so long ago. But now going through my books and getting rid of some!
Clyn
Jan 04, 2010 Clyn rated it it was ok
Simplistic plot, short underdeveloped characters and situations.
Craig
May 10, 2010 Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: imported
Great, fast read. Gets going quicky
Elizabeth
Nov 21, 2013 Elizabeth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought-2013
Matt Stanton
Jul 14, 2012 Matt Stanton rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one.
Christopher
Dec 16, 2014 Christopher rated it it was ok
I really like the narrative in the Op-Center series, and the characters are interesting, for the most part. This entry of the series is the weakest on the narrative side, so far. The idea of diplomacy being a poor substitute for action is constant in these books, so no surprises there. But I was shocked by the giant hole in the story: why didn't the spy tell the bad guy his target wasn't in the room? It's a basic logical error one rarely sees in a Clancy novel. Or maybe I'm missing something??
Hazel
Aug 04, 2011 Hazel rated it liked it
Good series.
Robert Gold
Robert Gold rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
please add the book cover 1 1 May 23, 2015 11:44AM
  • Shadow Watch (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #3)
  • Night Moves (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #3)
  • Fallout (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #4)
  • SSN: A Strategy Guide to Submarine Warfare
  • Safe House (Tom Clancy's Net Force Explorers #10)

Tom Clancy's Op-Center (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Op-Center (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #1)
  • Mirror Image (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #2)
  • Games of State (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #3)
  • Acts of War (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #4)
  • Balance of Power (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #5)
  • Divide and Conquer (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #7)
  • Line of Control (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #8)
  • Mission of Honor (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #9)
  • Sea of Fire (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #10)
  • Call to Treason (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #11)