Start by marking “Tainted By Temptation” as Want to Read:
Tainted By Temptation

Tainted By Temptation

In this haunting, Gothic novel, Madison tells the emotional tale of a desperate woman, and a man with nothing to lose.

Which were more dangerous—his secret desires ... or her own?

Cruel false gossip and scandal follow Velvet Campbell everywhere she goes in London—and for the sake of her sanity she must get away. Accepting a position as governess at an estate in remote Cornwa
Mass Market Paperback, 371 pages
Published January 25th 2011 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Tainted By Temptation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tainted By Temptation

Bookaholics
Mar 12, 2011 Bookaholics rated it really liked it
Tainted by Temptation by Katy Madison
Gothic Romance –Jan. 25th, 2011
4 stars

Running away from the tragic death of her brother, Velvet Campbell soon finds herself embroiled in the gossip of her new residence. Her new employer, Mr. Lucian Pendar is accused of murdering his wife by pushing her off a treacherous cliff three years ago. Although warned by the villagers, poor Velvet has no other choice but to work for Mr. Pendar since she is penniless. Exhausted and weary of travel, she arrives at his p
Daneesha
Mar 04, 2014 Daneesha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic
I stayed up until 2am to finish this book. It was awesome! Great gothic elements such as the foreboding castle, a damsel, mysterious deaths, a hero accused of murder, an atmosphere of suspense etc...

I loved Velvet and Lucian. The governess and the master. The sexual tension between them DRIPPED off the pages. It was pretty intense. I enjoyed their word and eye play and liked getting to their eventual union. Also, I enjoyed that as the governess, Velvet was able to tame and understand the needs
Cerian
Mar 02, 2013 Cerian rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Tainted by Temptation, which is the first book I've read by Katy Madison.
The gothic romance nature of the story was great, and at times reminiscent of Jane Eyre which is a favourite of mine.
The main characters, Lucian and Velvet, had plenty of dark obstacles for them to overcome. It wasn't until about halfway through the book that Velvet started to get more of a backbone, but she had a pretty rought time so it's understandable. I wish that her feeling about her brother had been
Helene
Dec 18, 2012 Helene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put the book down! I wanted to know who the killer was.
Erin
Jan 10, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
I love gothic romance and this book did not disappoint. A dark brooding hero scarred by his past mistakes, a woman running from her past, and the perfect dark setting. A gloomy house set upon the banks of cliffs, which bring sadness and dread to both the hero and the heroine.

I loved watching the relationship develop between the H/H through Iris (hero's daughter). The hero's turnaround in dealing with her is the key and in turn the child's improvements set the tone for the story.

I found the stor
Sandra
Mar 18, 2011 Sandra rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: over 17
Recommended to Sandra by: no one
I thought Tainted By Temptation by Katy Madison was reminicient of some of the classics with more sensuality. This author guides the reader into the world of her characters, Lucien and Velvet, to bring you into their lives to feel the pain of being treated unjustly through rumors and lies. The spiritual aspects added so much to this story, too. Yes, I recommend this very much.
Emily Hemmer
Mar 09, 2013 Emily Hemmer rated it really liked it
Disclosure: I know the author through a local RWA Chapter. Fantastic book with a suspenseful undercurrent, lots of heat, and a fast-paced storyline. I was so involved in the story and in the relationship between the two main characters, I ended up reading it in one sitting. I'd give it 4.25 stars if GR would let me!
April-lyn
Feb 28, 2011 April-lyn rated it did not like it
This is SO BAD. Part of me wants to read on and experience the terribleness, but I think I'll probably just give up. I'm used to romance characters behaving in predicable ways, but this is just ridiculous. The hero experiences the following emotions: anger, frustration, lust. The heroine experiences terror, frustration, and lust. See where this going?
Manda
Mar 30, 2012 Manda rated it liked it
Velvet and Lucian. (I kept miss-reading her name as Violet.)
I really liked the set up of the story and the "Three's Company"-esque miss-communication that happened btwn Lucian and Velvet regarding her fainting fits. I also liked that some scenes were from Iris's point of view.
The story is clearly a play on "Jane Eyre" and so there are a lot of great little references to the book throughout, and I think that explains a lot about the religion, which some other readers found jarring. In Eyre, Jane
Michaela
Feb 25, 2015 Michaela rated it liked it
You can definitely tell that this romance novel was inspired by the book "Jane Eyre". The mysterious woman who is a ghost who stalks the people living in the home...or is she really a real live person...the lead man is dark and brooding and with a terrible past who is a widower with a daughter in needing to learn and who is not his in any way biologically. The girl comes from humble beginnings....well, I suppose there are more than a few similarities. All I can say is that is does have it's own ...more
Michelle
Jul 08, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
This was my first book by Katy Madison and I really enjoyed it. I read a lot of historical romances so every time I can find a good story that takes me out of the London ballrooms, I really enjoy it. Chased by vicious rumors, Velvet makes her ways to the wilds of Cornwall to accept the position as a governess for the family of a man accused killing his wife. Lucian lives in his childhood home trying to raise his daughter with a cloud of suspicion over his head. Even though Lucian has heard the r ...more
Doreen
Dec 06, 2012 Doreen rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
I'm not a great fan of Gothic novels in general, but I did enjoy this one.

It is true, as other reviewers have remarked, that there are less than felicitous elements to it. The name Velvet is really rather strange. The reference to gamesmanship must be a hundred years too early. A virulent hero? Virile possibly.

On the other hand I did find there was an aura of suspense to the storytelling that worked for me. And I didn't think the references to the heroine's past needed explanation. She's the her
Lady Day
I like dark romanticism. This romance started as a slow, foreshadowing novel of well-developed complex characters. I enjoyed the journey as the primary characters struggled to overcome their internal turmoil.

My only concern the ending felt incomplete. I quickly guessed the murderer. But, to the author's defense, it contained all the elements associated with Gothic stories and the epilogue as well as the Author's notes tidied unanswered questions.

As always, I crave for suspense and mystery in HR
Dallee
Jul 09, 2011 Dallee rated it did not like it
Shelves: library-returned
Maybe others read this one as a spoof ... I thought it was one of the worst books ever, based on a couple of features represented much too often in the first 30 or so pages: repeated references to unexplained, presumably unjustified tarnished reputation (no reason given to believe she was not a tramp, by the way); grossly misused adjectives (no, they actually do not mean what apparently was thought to be inferred); and, "Velvet" as an english regency name, really?

There were no signals that this
Kay Donald
Dec 31, 2013 Kay Donald rated it it was ok
I like a gothic romance every once in a while although I think the art of writing in this form seems to have been lost- or maybe they just don't work anymore. This one is just- OK. Despite all the baggage each character is carrying and despite the alienation they are supposed to feel the story lacks any tension and most of the description dwells too much on his physical reaction to her presence (basically if she breathes he gets excited) and the whole courtship feels one dimensional. It relies t ...more
Anna Abner
Feb 07, 2013 Anna Abner rated it liked it
I was excited to read this "Gothic" romance and the beginning gave me shivers of anticipation.

Unfortunately, the plot lost my interest after page 50. There was so little tension that I skimmed to the end to see how it all worked out. The story came back to life in the last few pages for an emotional, heart-warming epilogue that brought me close to tears.

Obviously, this author has a lot of talent, but IMO suffers from saggy middle syndrome.
penelopewanders
Mmmprf. Somewhere this novel is described as "gothic", but Horace Walpole Katy Madison ain't. This being said, looking up the definition of a gothic novel, this one does include quite a few classic elements... a castle, inexplicable phenomena (the window), a legendary curse or prophecy, women threatened by an overbearing male, hysterical women, a gloomy setting, Iris communicating with her dead mother... etc.
Anyway, a quick read on a somewhat gloomy winter day while nursing a cold.
Linda Carroll-Bradd
May 02, 2013 Linda Carroll-Bradd rated it really liked it
Very intriguing. Gothics are usually my go to choice but I got swept up in the conflicts between characters trying to lie down tainted reputations. With every twist and turn, I feared for Velvet and Lucien ever working out their issues. I applaud the author for taking a family medical fact and weaving that into the plot.
Tabetha Waite
Sep 11, 2015 Tabetha Waite rated it really liked it
Like most of the reviews, this had a definite gothic approach, complete with pouring rain on a destitute governess arriving for a brooding master at his manor on the cliffs. I felt it mirrored Jane Eyre quite aptly, and while a bit of Velvet's anxieties got a bit wearing, for the most part, who doesn't love a damsel in distress? Great read!
Lauren
Aug 10, 2011 Lauren rated it really liked it
This was the most different gothic romance novel that I've read (and I've read a lot). It seems that it had more of a focus on the religious side than is common. The story itself was still good but seeing as how religion was a major part, that sort of lost my interest a little.
Kiki Belle
Feb 15, 2016 Kiki Belle rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars. If Lucien wasn't such an ass to her in the beginning, I might have enjoyed it more. Also, it seemed to really drag on towards the last third of the book or so. I've read worse, but I've also read better.
Yolanda
Jan 04, 2014 Yolanda rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story. It had everything I like in a romance. Sexual tension between H/h. A scandalous background for both and mystery. I couldn't stop reading. I wanted to know how it ended. Nice story I would recommend. I will look for more by Madison.
Christine
Feb 01, 2011 Christine rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it. After I finished I realized I didn't skim at all. And I think that says a lot.
Dana Lynn
Jun 03, 2012 Dana Lynn rated it it was ok
Long and drawn out...thought it would be a nice brainless read, but it was soooo slow it actually made me sleepy LOL which has it benefits as well since i don't sleep! not a great read by far :/
Regina
Jan 19, 2015 Regina rated it really liked it
Delicious! Lots of romantic tension between main couple.
Anne
Aug 10, 2012 Anne rated it liked it

Easy read and I couldn't put it down wanting to know what really happened. Also thought I had the whodunit figured out but well.....
J.A. Dennam
This book reminded me why I loved historical romance.
Lelah
Jul 23, 2011 Lelah rated it really liked it
Above average gothic romance with likable characters.
Linda
Apr 03, 2011 Linda rated it liked it
started 4/3/11. interesting so far.
Quite a good read. Putting the author on my "look out for" list.
Tammy
Jul 28, 2013 Tammy rated it liked it
it was different but good
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • His Scandal (His Trilogy, #2)
  • Seducing the Governess
  • Courting Claudia
  • Born to Scandal
  • The Governess and the Sheikh (Armstrong Sisters #2)
  • Touch of a Scoundrel (Touch of Seduction, #3)
  • As an Earl Desires (Lost Lords, #1)
  • What a Duke Wants
  • A Lady's Lesson in Scandal
  • Charming the Devil (Witches of Mayfair, #3)
  • The School for Brides (School for Brides, #1)
  • Accidentally Wolf (Seraphine Thomas, #1)
  • The Making of a Duchess (The Sons of the Revolution, #1)
  • The Rose of Blacksword
  • Sins of the Highlander
  • The Game and the Governess (Winner Takes All, #1)
  • One Touch of Scandal (Fraternitas Aureae Crucis, #1)
  • How to Ruin a Reputation (The Rakes Beyond Redemption #2)
Katy Madison has always loved stories. As a child she was always lugging a book around. At the age of eight, after
Katy Madison having gone through over a hundred Nancy Drew mysteries, all the Laura Ingalls Wilder books—at least twice—and many others including her full weekly allotment of library books, Katy went to her mother and begged for a new book to read. Her frustrated mother handed her a ro
More about Katy Madison...

“Fairness of face is a gift or curse from God. You cannot take credit for it. Your nature, intelligence, and behavior are the true measure of beauty.” 1 likes