Start by marking “Almost Home” as Want to Read:

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  939 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Customers who enjoy books by Robyn Carr, Debbie Macomber and Susan Wiggs will enjoy this contemporary romance set in the lush horse country of Kentucky filled with small town charm, romance, love, family and friends from #1 NY Times bestselling author Barbara Freethy.

Katherine Whitfield hadn't left her seamless life in California to get mixed-up with a rough around the edg
Published (first published January 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Almost Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost Home

Bark's Book Nonsense
Feb 17, 2011 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Katherine Whitfield never knew her father and lost her mother when she was only twelve. She longs for family ties, for roots, and most importantly for love. When she finds her mother's old trunk and discovers a letter that hints at the location of her father she drops everything and heads straight for Kentucky.

Katherine is searching for a map when she nearly collides with a trailer and meets a very unfriendly Zach Taylor. Zach is furious at Katherine's reckless driving and gives her an earful. T
Foxfire
Sep 04, 2013 Foxfire rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ended up skimming.

I don't like things that don't make sense. The heroine, who doesn't know who her biological father is, finds a clue to his home town and his first initial - J. She travels into a deeply conservative small town and announces to strangers that she is there to find her father.

She is totally convinced that he will be thrilled to meet her and will instantly love her. She does not give any thought to the possibility that an illegitimate daughter appearing out of the blue may come as
Ayu Wirdha
Maunya sih karakter heroine-nya itu kuat, ga bnyk self pity (sesekali bolehlah), have backbone pas ngadepin hero atau warga kota jg smart walaupun si heroine ini punya masa kecil yg menyedihkan secara emosi. Pdhal dr segi cerita lumayan menjanjikan. Pencarian ayah kandung, pembuktian diri, persaingan di pacuan kuda, kehidupan di farm.

Ayah Zach kan seorang penipu & mencoba mengaku2 sbg ayah Kat. Zach panik takut Kat mempercayainya, halooo kan ada tes DNA, nyantai aja kali, Kat-nya jg rada2 be
(ha)Ley
This book was ok. It had the potential to be an interesting, compelling romance novel with an aspect of mystery, but it was lacking. It was a pretty good romance novel, I guess, but I just didn't think it was all that great.

Here's why; the protagonist, Katherine, kind of annoyed me. She came across as naive and a little irritating. She is on a search for her father, because her mother never told her who he was before she died when Katherine was twelve. Katherine immediately assumes that her fath
Kim Beck
May 08, 2014 Kim Beck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was about finding your roots and your future. Katherine lost her mother when she was twelve. She later found a chest with information about her long lost father which leads her to Paradise Kentucky where the two most important things are bloodlines and horses. What follows is a true romance and a story about finding what you need to. Beautifully written, exceptional characters and a charming storyline.
Connie
Sep 16, 2014 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have loved all of Barbara Freethy's books and I enjoyed this one also. The story is great but I just didn't get into this book as much as her others. I'm not sure why, I really liked both the h/h and even the secondary characters. I would still recommend this book because I did like it and enjoyed reading it.
Michelle Cardwell kaiman
Aug 05, 2015 Michelle Cardwell kaiman rated it it was amazing
Almost Home

Almost home is filled with suspense, despair, secrets, and love. A real page turner that pulls in on every page, right up until the end. Almost home is my 2nd favorite book of Ms. Freethy. Summer Secrets is my number 1. Definitely recommend you read Almost Home today!!
Lisa
Feb 21, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read enough of this author at this point to know what to expect. And it was a perfectly enjoyable story about a poor woman who has no one to love her and a man who not only has a really bad father but also he was left at the altar, so we know HE's never going to love again.

The pursuit of her father, who is someone with the letter J in a town full of men with J names seems a bit of a needle in the haystack search, but Katherine doesn't let that stop her, and of course Zach, that poor guy who
Cindy
Apr 29, 2014 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: d-e-f
Kathryn and Zach

A great book. Kathryn goes looking for her father, falls I love, finds her grandparents, and then her father. Well worth reading. A romance with depth of characters.
Linda C
Sep 03, 2012 Linda C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katherine Whitfield never knew her father and lost her mother when she was only twelve. She finds lots of references to a town in Kentucky and a letter written by her mother and addressed to J, telling of her pregnancy, which was never sent. She decides to go to the town and look for her father. Near the town she nearly hits a horse trailer. She meets Zach, his Derby contender, Midnight Rogue, and trainer. As she proceeds to ask questions, Zach warns her that she may be not like what she digs up ...more
Darlene
Feb 05, 2015 Darlene rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Little boring in places. I fast forwarded reading this book
Cheryl Fisher
May 05, 2015 Cheryl Fisher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just re-read this title. Enjoyable. Fun read.
Jun 05, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Loved, Loved, Loved
Caren
Apr 02, 2014 Caren rated it it was ok
Ended a little too perfect. Haven't these people ever heard of DNA blood tests??
Terry
Jan 23, 2014 Terry rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A perfectly stupid book. Unbelievable characters, dialogue, and mist especially situations. Really - who gets married in a couple of weeks to a perfect stranger?
Evelyn
Jan 29, 2012 Evelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After finding her dead mother's hope chest, Katherine Whitfield leaves her comfortable life in California for the small town of Paradice, Kentucky in hopes of learning who her real father is. But, instead she learns her mother lied about everything relating to her childhood and family. Now Katherine must come to terms with the fact that she needs to find her mother as well as her father, and she might not like the truth.

A good romance with real characters and issues. Freethy includes discussion
Fae Peace
Jan 18, 2015 Fae Peace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Read
Nancy
Aug 20, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it. I have started reading her books over the last year. Some of the characters in this one behaved as one would expect, her grandfather, Zach's father and some of the town folks. I wasn't sure who her father would turn out to be, but I think it was a good choice. The ending was predictable and happy and sometimes I just like to read these books.
Starre
Feb 08, 2012 Starre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot. I've only read one other book by Barbara Freethy and I'm discovering that I really like her! I can't wait to read more of her books. The story flowed very nicely. I loved the setting: Kentucky. She gives you just enough description without going overboard. This was a nice break from all the vampire books I've been reading.
ShaniceRhynd
Dec 04, 2012 ShaniceRhynd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love! I really enjoyed this book, the connection between Zach and Katherine was a great read. The story of Katherine trying to find her father and ending up finding a whole new life was surprisingly good and Zach's cynical attitude to love is changed when he meets Katherine proving that there is somebody for everybody :) Read It!!!
Jan
Feb 08, 2012 Jan rated it it was amazing
This was my first Barbara Freethy book to have read and it was a good story with twist and turns. Loved the horse related background. A complicated story about a gal trying to find her real father with very little to go on and Freethy weaves a wonderful story around this. Looking forward to reading the other books by Freethy!
Pamela
Feb 14, 2012 Pamela rated it liked it
Shelves: e-read-2012
My only issue with this book was Katherine announcing that she was "looking for her father" instead of saying something less threatening like she wanted to find out more about her mom or where her parents came from. Finding a parent who wasn't in the picture was sure to put folks on the defensive from the beginning.
Carol
This book kept my attention. I really enjoy this author, Barbara Freethy
Barb
Jun 26, 2012 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Ms Freethy is awesome! This is her 2nd book i have read, and she is just the tops. Her characters are so real. You can feel their energy, their pain, their anger, their hurt. She has proven herself yet again between these covers. I highly recommend this book. I gave it a 5 star.....
Amy
Jun 15, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook-read
I picked this up as one of the only available books to download from the library. I wasn't really sure I even wanted to read it. Wow! Glad I did. some mystery, romance, and fun. I enjoyed every moment of this book. Will definitely look for more by this author.
Kim
Dec 27, 2011 Kim rated it liked it
Loved the horse country setting, good idea for a story but way too much drama for me, felt rushed in places and too many side dramas along the way. It was interesting enough to keep me reading but...wish there had been a bit more to it.
Pr Latta
Sweet (but not "gentle"). Lots of potential (Kentucky horses, strong man protecting his emotions, woman trying to find her place in the world) but the writing drifts into the very lightweight category if not quite the mass market feel.
Liz Keegans
Not that it was a bad book, it was just a little too much of a romance novel for my taste. And, of course, in the end, everyone lived happily ever after.....even the horse!
Ronica Robinson dennis
This is one of my many faves by Barbara Freethy. She takes you on a journey that shows family bonds and love are important. I think I will read this one again...
Gina's Escape and Reality
  • Mackenzies Bundle: Mackenzie's Mountain / Mackenzie's Mission / Mackenzie's Pleasure / A Game of Chance
  • The Abigail Affair
  • What the Heart Knows
  • Finders Keepers
  • Cry Uncle
  • Virgin River Books 1-4 (Virgin River, #1-4)
  • Wedding Bell Blues
  • Starting Over (Treading Water, #3)
  • A Very NASCAR Holiday (Colby Agency, #35)
  • Mistletoe Mine (Eternity Springs, #3.5)
  • Lead Me On (Pearl Island Trilogy, #2)
  • Dark Roots and Cowboy Boots
  • Nerves of Steel (Hart and Drake, #1)
  • Amazing Gracie
  • Buffalo Valley (Dakota, #4)
  • Hawk's Way Grooms (Hawk's Way #10&12)
  • The Way They Were (That Second Chance, #2)
  • Bridleton
Barbara's love of writing developed out of a love of reading. Growing up in an all-boy neighborhood, she spent quite a bit of time reading through her mother's large library, many of which were romantic novels. After graduating from the University of California at Santa Barbara, she went into Public Relations, but soon discovered that writing was her true passion.

Barbara was traditionally publishe
More about Barbara Freethy...

“Mothers and daughters share a special bond." "I never knew how special until it wasn't there anymore. I'm twenty-seven, and when something good or bad happens in my life, I still wonder what my mom would think. I've lived more of my life without her than with her, but it still matters.” 8 likes
“You must get hurt a lot," he murmured. She looked at him in surprise.
"Why do you say that?"
"Because you don't hide anything. You put yourself out there for the world to like or dislike.”
6 likes