Start by marking “The Cuckoo Tree (The Wolves Chronicles, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Cuckoo Tree (The Wolves Chronicles, #6)

The Cuckoo Tree (The Wolves Chronicles #6)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  616 ratings  ·  30 reviews
When Dido Twite sets foot back on English soil, more mischief awaits. As her friend Captain Hughes recovers from a carriage accident, Dido stays at the Dogkennel Cottages and meets the odd inhabitants of Tegleaze Manor: strange old Lady Tegleaze, her nephew, Tobit, and his wizened, witchy nurse, Sannie. Soon suspicious things happen. A priceless miniature is stolen. Tobit ...more
Published September 25th 2000 by Harcourt Brace and Company (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Cuckoo Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cuckoo Tree

Jane
I want to BE Dido Twite. What a she-ro she is. Everything Indiana Jones faced - rats, spiders, snakes, spies, treachery, magic - Dido does it better.
Fantasy Literature
After her light-hearted adventures on the island of Nantucket in the previous installment in Joan Aiken's Wolves Saga, Dido Twite comes up against darker enemies once she reaches English soil once more. At the end of the last book, Dido left Nantucket with Captain Hughes, who since then has become rather ill. When the carriage they're riding in overtips thanks to a dodgy cabby-driver, Dido goes for help and soon finds herself in the company of more weird and wonderful acquaintances — so many in ...more
Books Kids Like
Captain Hughes and Dido Twite return to England with a dispatch revealing a Hanoverian plot to kill Davie Tudor-Stuart on his coronation day. In a coach accident, Captain Hughes suffers a broken leg and concussion. Dido stays with Lady Tegleaze and her grandson, Tobit, at Tegleaze Manor until she knows that Captain Hughes is out of danger. While there, she meets the lady's lawyer Colonel Fitzpickwick, Tante Sannie, and Mrs. Lubbage, the conspirators bent on killing the future king. Knowing that ...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
Apr 10, 2008 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: if you liked Lemony Snicket
Dido Twite is traveling with Captain Hughes with information about a plot against the King. Their carriage overturns, injuring Captain Hughes and stranding them at the Dogkennel Cottages. Dido tries to find a trustworthy messenger to take the message on to London, but instead she meets witches and shady dealers, a plot to disinherit Tobit, the nephew of Lady Tegleaze, and even her own rascally father, but little help for her plight.
She must resort to the Wineberry boys, honorable local smuggler
Leslie
Sarah Smith
The Cuckoo Tree is a quirky book with characters that are surprisingly unique. The main character, Dido, has just disembarked from a merchant ship and is on her way by stagecoach to London with "her captain" where he is to deliver a message of highest urgency ahead of the upcoming coronation. The coach overturns, and not by accident. Cast up in the middle of nowhere, Dido seeks help from a moldering manor house and launches an adventure that involves highwaymen, scurrilous lawyers, scheming old ...more
Hessie
This was another great addition to the wolves chronicles with great dialects, characters, and a dose of the supernatural. I especially liked Yan's character and would like to see more of him though I don't think he figures in again. It ends on a downbeat which is too bad because a great reunion is just around the corner. A gem of a story but I think I will wait till my kids are closer to 12 to introduce it to them.
Anthony Faber
Wolves #6. Dido Twite is back in England and ends up in the middle of more skullduggery. At the end. we are reunited with characters from "The Whispering Mountain", as well as from "Blackhearts in Battersea".
Karen
The further adventures of Dido Twite, this time somewhere in Cornwall or on Exmoor foiling a conspiracy to assassinate the new king Richard at his coronation. Dido is marvellous as always, but most of the rest of the characters in this book are less interesting than others we have met in earlier books and the plot is a bit convoluted. So only 3 stars this time.
Matthew Lindtveit
One of my favorites in the series, Dido always comes through.
Kirsten
The adventures of Dido Twite continue in this installment of the Wolves of Willhoughby Chase series. Dido is back on British soil, but a carriage accident strands her in the middle of nowhere. Now she must evade the clutches of two sinister witches and the evil Miles Mystery, while she attempts to deliver a message to the King and foil a heinous assassination attempt. Fortunately, she has assistance in the form of goodhearted smugglers, who are willing to leave off their business of smuggling pe ...more
Nigel
At the height of her powers, there's no-one to match Aiken for the verve and ingenuity of her stories, and for heroines, there's precious few to match the inimitable Dido Twite. Returned at last from her voyaging, Did quickly becomes ensnared in another Hanoverian plot to do something utterly mad at the coronation ceremony of the new king. Witches and smugglers and lost twins and scheming cousins and cheerful smugglers and sinister puppet shows are all elements of this rollicking tale. Fantastic ...more
Susan
Feb 02, 2014 Susan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Brownell Library book sale January 2014
Lian Tanner
Joan Aiken is always good value, and her books about Dido Twite, with their alternative history of England, are wonderful romps. Dido is an unstoppable force, brave, imaginative and hilarious. In 'The Cuckoo Tree' she is as fierce as ever. I suspect that a lot of modern fictional heroines owe a lot to this feisty wee girl and her adventures.
nicole
I loved Dido and I laughed a lot at the dialogue, but for the most part I felt sorta "wha? what's happening?" throughout most of this, and then, by the time I knew what was what, I wasn't feeling overly engaged. Basically a letter needed to be delivered. And that was it.

Good, but the weakest link thus far.
Jenn Estepp
dido has finally made it back to england, but on the way to london she and the captain suffer a carriage accident and have to put up at a strange, semi-neglected country estate while he recovers from a broken leg. naturally, hijinks, dastardly plots and melodramatic adventures ensue. love.
Janelle
Although I've marked this as read I never actually finished it. While I had planned to read the Wolves of Willoughby Chase series in its entirety, I just don't see the point when I'm no longer enjoying it. Seeing as I've got over 600 books on my to read list, I think it's time I move on.
jennifer
"And indeed Dido discovered that all the space between the joists was packed with wool to a depth of several feet, so that it was like sleeping on a marvelously thick, springy mattress the size of a whole room. She burrowed herself a nest and lay in luxury."
Bunnyjadwiga
Joan Aiken's Dido Twite (and related) books are always chock-full of unusual accents and good writing. This is no exception... Lots of twists and turns of plot, lots of alternate-history absurdity, and plenty of hateable villains and wonderful characters.
Ashley
I really enjoyed this one and thinking these books work best when Dido isn't abroad. The cast of characters was wonderful and the villains were once again really terrible, which leads to the best stories. This was a really fun one to read.
Celeste Ng
Jun 16, 2007 Celeste Ng rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids and wannabe kids
My favorite of the Wolves Chronicles. It contains the Hanoverians' best plot yet to overthrow the king and some of the most memorable characters of the series. Plus, it made me want to be a smuggler and ride an elephant.
Rebekah
I am so happy we stumbled across this author. She's fabulous! This isn't my favorite one in the series, but they are all pretty good. The language is difficult sometimes because of the dialects she uses.
eve
Not quite as good as some of the others in the series, but the idea of sending St. Paul's into the Thames on giant rollers is pretty funny. Plus the last couple pages are awfully sweet.
Kailey
Non-stop action and mystery! Wonderful characters and an intriguing plot! Excellent writing!
Megan
after 4 books, I've grown quite fond of the scrappy heroine Dido Twite
Jan Yip
Another childhood favorite.....I LOVED Dido Twite!
Lindsay
Dido Twite is one kick-ass heroine :-)
Marineke
I love dido
  • An Enemy at Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #5)
  • The Wizard in the Tree
  • Linnets and Valerians
  • Black Maria
  • Movie Shoes (Shoes, #6)
  • The Story of the Amulet (Five Children, #3)
  • A Traveller In Time
  • The Diddakoi
  • The Haunting
  • The Diamond in the Window (Hall Family Chronicles, #1)
  • Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • Moominpappa at Sea (The Moomins, #8)
  • The Well-Wishers (Tales of Magic, #6)
  • Fox's Feud (Farthing Wood, #3)
  • The Weathermonger (The Changes Trilogy, #3)
  • Quest for a Maid
12075
Joan Delano Aiken was a much loved English writer who received the MBE for services to Children's Literature. Her most famous classic, THE WOLVES OF WILLOUGHBY CHASE,has been celebrating its 50th Anniversary with the publication of three brand new editions of the book and a new AUDIO recorded by her daughter Lizza.

Follow THE JOAN AIKEN BLOG at http://joanaiken.wordpress.com/

Read NEWS & NEW PUB
More about Joan Aiken...

The Wolves Chronicles (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1)
  • Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2)
  • Nightbirds on Nantucket (The Wolves Chronicles, #3)
  • The Stolen Lake (The Wolves Chronicles, #4)
  • Dangerous Games (The Wolves Chronicles, #5)
  • Dido and Pa (The Wolves Chronicles, #7)
  • Is Underground (The Wolves Chronicles, #8)
  • Cold Shoulder Road (The Wolves Chronicles, #9)
  • Midwinter Nightingale (The Wolves Chronicles, #10)
  • The Witch of Clatteringshaws (The Wolves Chronicles, #11)
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1) Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2) Nightbirds on Nantucket (The Wolves Chronicles, #3) Jane Fairfax Arabel's Raven (Arabel and Mortimer, #1)

“the silence behind her was closing and thickening, and becoming coloured, like water into which a brilliant dye is being poured” 1 likes