Start by marking “Just Say No!” as Want to Read:
Just Say No!

Just Say No!

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,128 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Omar Tyree, New York Times and Blackboard bestselling author and winner of the 2001 NAACP Image Award for literary fiction, delivers a powerful story of two childhood friends lured into the sex, drugs, money, and madness of R&B stardom.

Darin Harmon and John Williams, two good church boys from Charlotte, North Carolina, have been best friends since they were toddlers.
Published August 7th 2001 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Just Say No!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Say No!

Andrea
Jan 26, 2011 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine a book so good, you get mad at the author for messing with your emotions...

It was reading this book that I realized what I had been fighting myself about when I was writing.
I wanted to make my books so touching and fulfilling to the reader that they remembered the characters long after the book ended. "Just Say No" was the book I used as an example when I said to my professor, "This is what I want to do." I want to bring forth deep emotion.

Since I've read it, I've been on my mission fu
Cece
Nov 03, 2014 Cece rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio-the story was just ok. The rating would have been higher if Omar wasn't singing. He CANNOT sing well-I feel he's off & it's almost intolerable.
Amiyah Henderson
As i read this book it touched my heart in a way no other book can. In my opinion Omar Tyree did an amazing job on telling the lesson.
Jessica Terry
Jun 06, 2009 Jessica Terry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really amazed me...I loved the journey of the characters, career-wise as well as how they evolved as men. Awesome book; I've read it at least two or three times!
Shanae
This novel started off very well & I was definitely intrigued. Halfway through & I just stopped reading. Tyree kind of lost me. It seems this is either a hit or miss. I understand all the 4/5 star review and I also understand all the 2/3 star reviews. There's something about this novel that requires more attention than I'm willing to give. I really started to dislike John's character and even Darin became boring. Tony was seemingly thrown into the mix - I just don't understand the purpos ...more
Ashley Terrell
Oct 30, 2014 Ashley Terrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was an earlier teen, but it definitely helped me understand that not everyone that wants the fame can handle it. And not everyone that isn't looking for it understands it.
Its unfortunate how it ended, but it is a great book to read for ones that are interested in readings from this author and are for partial realizations.
Saberina Agyei
Appropriate read for teenagers. Similar to 'Flyy Girl' this novel explores themes in a way that is light and easy to digest.
A great way to engage readers from ethnic minority backgrounds. Perhaps not the most mentally stimulating book, but a good starter read none the less.
Sophie
Sep 21, 2014 Sophie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this book! It definitely draws me in as a musician. I could really relate to the struggle. The theme of unconditional friendship really resonates as well
Michael Pyle
Oct 16, 2013 Michael Pyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No. Oh, sorry. It said I was supposed to just say no.

I liked this book a bit better than the other Omar Tyree book I read, Pecking Order. Maybe it's because I recently met Mr. Tyree and heard his speak at Stetson University.

This story was pretty well written. I wasn't that enthusiastic about the ending. I listened to it as an audio book, which was a treat, because the reader is a singer, and as this character was a singer, the reader often broke into song, quite well, especially toward the end
Tea
Dec 17, 2015 Tea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving it two stars, just because it's a book! I couldn't get into it. I stopped reading after a few pages
Liveinthelight
Jul 14, 2014 Liveinthelight rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so awesome I read it 5 times. It's just so damn good. Everyone should read it
Amber Randle
Jun 27, 2014 Amber Randle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! It's a page turner, but why the end gotta be so sad?
laRose
Jan 11, 2016 laRose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the first books, if not the first book, that opened my naive mind, to a world, poignantly different from the one Enid Blyton, Jacqueline Wilson, Meg Cabot, and numerous fantasy books had all created in head. I cried when I finished it. I was 11.
Jasmine Finch
Tyree is very hit or miss to me. I read most of this a while ago but I couldn't ever finish it. I recently picked it up at the library and plan to try to read it again.
Shannon Hasson
Jan 18, 2013 Shannon Hasson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book. Hands down. I won't give the details but...I imagine that Trey Songz life might be similar to John "Loverboy" William's in the book.
Nadia
Jun 02, 2015 Nadia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this isn't for me
Jamila El-Jabry
was one of a funny book that i read a while ago on singer and groupies and in between..great fictional story on the subject...
Maegan
Jul 08, 2011 Maegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very descriptive book. I listened to the audiobook, which may have enhanced the song and beat descriptions a LOT.
Shaneka
Sep 13, 2009 Shaneka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love anything Omar Tyree, he was one of the first African American Authors I picked up as a teenager.
Meme2293
Feb 07, 2012 Meme2293 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Greaaattt Booook.! I love Omar Tyree...although he has a tendency to be a bit longwinded sometimes
Lawrence Tuck
Jul 28, 2011 Lawrence Tuck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I REALLY like this book. I play music, so I could identify with what was going on throughout
Diamora Hunt
Feb 12, 2013 Diamora Hunt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of Omar tyrees best and one of my favorite books of all time I read this book over and over.
Bionca
May 16, 2009 Bionca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well...I actually likes this Book. With fame comes problems...
Ciara
Jun 23, 2008 Ciara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The price of fame. Hes excellent as well. One of my top authors.
Cheryl A.
Sep 15, 2011 Cheryl A. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it so much, I've read it at least twice! Such a good book!
Troy Bryant
Oct 05, 2009 Troy Bryant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book with an inteteresting twist at the end
Synthia Green
Jun 08, 2012 Synthia Green rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read with wonderful sensory language!
Tammy Washington
I never could really get into this book.
Theresa
It was a slow read for me, but it was ok.
Lashonda
Dec 22, 2007 Lashonda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was blown away by this book.
  • Della's House of Style
  • Liar's Game
  • Behind Closed Doors
  • God's Gift to Women
  • Red Light Wives
  • He's Just a Friend (Soulmates Dissipate, #3)
  • Any Way the Wind Blows
  • Say You Need Me
  • Can't Get Enough
  • Lil Mama's Rules
  • Tales From Da Hood
Omar Tyree, a New York Times best-selling author, a 2001 NAACP Image Award recipient for Outstanding Literature in Fiction, and a 2006 Phillis Wheatley Literary Award winner for Body of Work in Urban Fiction, has published 16 books and has sold nearly 2 million copies worldwide that has generated more than $30 million.
With a degree in Print Journalism from Howard University in 1991, Tyree has bee