Start by marking “Just Say No!” as Want to Read:
Just Say No!

Just Say No!

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,004 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Omar Tyree, New York Times and Blackboard bestselling author and winner of the 2001 NAACP Image Award for literary fiction, delivers a powerful story of two childhood friends lured into the sex, drugs, money, and madness of R&B stardom.

Darin Harmon and John Williams, two good church boys from Charlotte, North Carolina, have been best friends since they were toddlers.
Published August 7th 2001 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Just Say No!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Say No!

Andrea
Imagine a book so good, you get mad at the author for messing with your emotions...

It was reading this book that I realized what I had been fighting myself about when I was writing.
I wanted to make my books so touching and fulfilling to the reader that they remembered the characters long after the book ended. "Just Say No" was the book I used as an example when I said to my professor, "This is what I want to do." I want to bring forth deep emotion.

Since I've read it, I've been on my mission fu
Cece
I listened to the audio-the story was just ok. The rating would have been higher if Omar wasn't singing. He CANNOT sing well-I feel he's off & it's almost intolerable.
Amiyah Henderson
As i read this book it touched my heart in a way no other book can. In my opinion Omar Tyree did an amazing job on telling the lesson.
Jessica Terry
This book really amazed me...I loved the journey of the characters, career-wise as well as how they evolved as men. Awesome book; I've read it at least two or three times!
Shanae
This novel started off very well & I was definitely intrigued. Halfway through & I just stopped reading. Tyree kind of lost me. It seems this is either a hit or miss. I understand all the 4/5 star review and I also understand all the 2/3 star reviews. There's something about this novel that requires more attention than I'm willing to give. I really started to dislike John's character and even Darin became boring. Tony was seemingly thrown into the mix - I just don't understand the purpos ...more
Ashley Terrell
I read this book when I was an earlier teen, but it definitely helped me understand that not everyone that wants the fame can handle it. And not everyone that isn't looking for it understands it.
Its unfortunate how it ended, but it is a great book to read for ones that are interested in readings from this author and are for partial realizations.
Saberina Agyei
Appropriate read for teenagers. Similar to 'Flyy Girl' this novel explores themes in a way that is light and easy to digest.
A great way to engage readers from ethnic minority backgrounds. Perhaps not the most mentally stimulating book, but a good starter read none the less.
Sophie
I absolutely love this book! It definitely draws me in as a musician. I could really relate to the struggle. The theme of unconditional friendship really resonates as well
Michael Pyle
No. Oh, sorry. It said I was supposed to just say no.

I liked this book a bit better than the other Omar Tyree book I read, Pecking Order. Maybe it's because I recently met Mr. Tyree and heard his speak at Stetson University.

This story was pretty well written. I wasn't that enthusiastic about the ending. I listened to it as an audio book, which was a treat, because the reader is a singer, and as this character was a singer, the reader often broke into song, quite well, especially toward the end
Liveinthelight
This book was so awesome I read it 5 times. It's just so damn good. Everyone should read it
Amber Randle
Loved this book! It's a page turner, but why the end gotta be so sad?
la'Rose
This is one of the first books, if not the first book, that opened my naive mind, to a world, poignantly different from the one Enid Blyton, Jacqueline Wilson, Meg Cabot, and numerous fantasy books had all created in head. I cried when I finished it. I was 11.
Jasmine Finch
Tyree is very hit or miss to me. I read most of this a while ago but I couldn't ever finish it. I recently picked it up at the library and plan to try to read it again.
Shannon Hasson
My favorite book. Hands down. I won't give the details but...I imagine that Trey Songz life might be similar to John "Loverboy" William's in the book.
Amira Jammy
was one of a funny book that i read a while ago on singer and groupies and in between..great fictional story on the subject...
Maegan
Very descriptive book. I listened to the audiobook, which may have enhanced the song and beat descriptions a LOT.
Shaneka
I love anything Omar Tyree, he was one of the first African American Authors I picked up as a teenager.
Meme2293
Greaaattt Booook.! I love Omar Tyree...although he has a tendency to be a bit longwinded sometimes
Lawrence Tuck
I REALLY like this book. I play music, so I could identify with what was going on throughout
Diamora Hunt
One of Omar tyrees best and one of my favorite books of all time I read this book over and over.
Bionca
Well...I actually likes this Book. With fame comes problems...
Ciara
The price of fame. Hes excellent as well. One of my top authors.
Cheryl A.
Loved it so much, I've read it at least twice! Such a good book!
Troy Bryant
Very good book with an inteteresting twist at the end
Synthia Green
An excellent read with wonderful sensory language!
Tammy Washington
I never could really get into this book.
Theresa
It was a slow read for me, but it was ok.
Lashonda
I was blown away by this book.
Stephanie
Be careful what you wish for!!!
  • Liar's Game
  • Satin Doll
  • Abide With Me
  • Don't Want No Sugar
  • No More Drama
Omar Tyree, a New York Times best-selling author, a 2001 NAACP Image Award recipient for Outstanding Literature in Fiction, and a 2006 Phillis Wheatley Literary Award winner for Body of Work in Urban Fiction, has published 16 books and has sold nearly 2 million copies worldwide that has generated more than $30 million.
With a degree in Print Journalism from Howard University in 1991, Tyree has bee