Start by marking “The Third Section (The Danilov Quintet, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Third Section (The Danilov Quintet,  #3)
Read Excerpt

The Third Section (Danilov Quintet #3)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Russia 1855. After forty years of peace in Europe, war rages. In the Crimea, the city of Sevastopol is besieged. In the north, Saint Petersburg is blockaded. But in Moscow there is one who needs only to sit and wait - wait for the death of an aging tsar, and for the curse upon his blood to be passed to a new generation.

As their country grows weaker, a man and a woman - una
Published August 18th 2011 by Bantam Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Third Section, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Third Section

Despite its problems, The Third Section was a really enjoyable read. Perhaps the reason the issues I listed were felt so keenly was because Kent’s books are so high quality and absorbing that the smallest details are more noticeable. The period of history this book takes place in is nothing short of fascinating. While the characters lack and the pacing is a bit slow, The Third Section is a strong installment in a series that has continually blown me away. Yes, it does have issues, but I still lo ...more
Zoltán Gecse
The third book of the Danilov quintet takes place 30 years after the second book, which means we get new main characters instead of Aleksei. His offsprings continue the fight against the vampires in Russia.

If you look at the timeline at the beginning of this book you can realize the events are strongly connected the tzars, and the new tzars. In 1855 Russia was in a great war against the English and French about ruling the sea-connection to the Black sea. Dmitry met again with vampires during the
T. Edmund
If you'd look at my reviews of Kent's previous two Dannilov novels you would probably assume I wasn't a huge fan of the series, and in all honesty if I didn't have a thing for vampires and russians I most likely wouldn't have continued with these novels.

But I'm glad I did. In Third Section gone are the navel-gazing semi-philosphy rants, the overdose of insight and slightly too cheese shaped action scenes. Kent has trimmed the fat for this novel and it shows.

The plot follows the original protagan
Alisa Hedden
Not your Twilight, non-blood drinking, romantic, emotionally tortured vampires. These have all the compassion of a Jack-the –Ripper or a Zodiac killer. They must drink blood to stay alive and they are not kind. Getting the most satisfaction from the extreme emotional states of terror and despair in their victims (even other Vampires). They will plan out a killing, taking hours in performing the act to heighten their own enjoyment. Truly monstrous monsters. Taking place in Russia, based on the hi ...more
Bogdan Gavriliuc
This has been an amazing read. One of my favorite series.

Jasper Kent's writing style can be seen to improve as you progress through each book. He has several tools which he efficiently uses to display an engaging story.

One thing I enjoyed thoroughly in this book, was the way Kent set up elaborate and excitingly complex situations. Often I reveled in the nuanced encounters and the evident ironies that spice up the story. Kent knows how to tell a story.

I did like the portrayal of each character
Elaine Bergstrom
Jasper Kent's first two novels of the planned five were mere practice for The Third Section -- a novel which finally has the pacing and character development that were a bit lacking in the first two books in the series. Here Dmitry is older, a soldier like his father, as ignorant that he has a half-sister as she is of him. But they are both pawns of the battle between the undead and the czars of Russia and the monomania that has vampire Iuda plotting his vengeance on the children of his enemy.
Mel
Gritty, grown up alternate history with vampires. Nothing like the Twilight's and Vampire Diaries of the world.
Set in 1855, the Third Section is the third installment in the Danilov Quintet. It has been a few years since I read Twelve and Thirteen Years Later (which I believe I read in the wrong order), but as I progressed with The Third Section, main plot arks and characters came back to me. Well written, fast paced and intriguing, I cannot wait for the final two novels in the quintet.
Jeremy Hallum
The Third in a series, I felt this started a little slower than the other two, but ended with a very satisfying bang. Best of all, despite it being a series, this book had a nice conclusion to it. Looking forward to the next book.
Katilyn
I was very disappointed in this book. I didn't find it near as gripping as the first two, and once the element of homosexuality was introduced I didn't even want to finish it. I think, in terms of any literature that isn't explicitly a romance novel, sex should be used very sparingly and have a reason for it. In his first two books there were also sexual encounters but they were important to the plot and didn't feel contrived and awkward. However, in this most recent installment, it was incredib ...more
Titus Crabb
Not as good as the first two, but not bad. This series would have been better as a trilogy I'm guessing. Mr. Kent is a great story teller though.
Jen Smith
I really enjoyed this book. This one I think was the best so far. Great history of Russia. Loved having vampires involved. Great read.
Umut Badakoğlu
Bazı yerlerde akıcılığını yitiriyor ve eski karakterle yenileri arasında bağlantı zor kuruluyor ama serinin sevenleri için tavsiye ederim kötü bir kitap değil.
Jeff Tate
Another good entry in the series. The pacing is much better than the last book. A great mix of historical fiction and suspense horror.
Liviu
Sep 07, 2012 Liviu marked it as tried-but-not-for-me
ultimately, too much in vampire stuff for my taste
Ihsan Duzgun
A great mix of history and horror..
Gökhan
Gökhan marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Luca Giampaolo
Luca Giampaolo marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Ben Anderson
Ben Anderson marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Şeyma Tiryakioğlu
Şeyma Tiryakioğlu marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Nick Oberholtzer
Nick Oberholtzer marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Emma-Louise
Emma-Louise marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Megan Lynn
Megan Lynn marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
  • The Exiled Blade (The Assassini, #3)
  • Land of Hope and Glory (Land of Hope and Glory, #1)
  • Harry Keogh and Other Weird Heroes (Necroscope, #14)
  • A Guile of Dragons (A Tournament of Shadows, #1)
  • Fenrir
  • The World on Blood
  • Blood Alone (Austra Family, #2)
  • Shadowheart (Legends of the Raven, #2)
  • The Kingmakers (Vampire Empire, #3)
  • Kiss of the Vampire (Creed, #1)
  • Clash of Iron (Iron Age, #2)
  • With Fate Conspire (Onyx Court, #4)
  • A Red Sun Also Rises
  • Blue and Gold
  • And Blue Skies From Pain (The Fey and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Doctor and the Kid (Weird West Tales, #2)
  • By the Blood of Heroes (The Great Undead War, #1)
  • Black Halo (Aeons' Gate, #2)
Jasper Kent was born in Worcestershire, England in 1968. He attended King Edward's School, Birmingham and went on to study Natural Sciences at Trinity Hall, Cambridge, specializing in physics.

Jasper has spent almost twenty years working as a software engineer in the UK and in Europe, whilst also working on writing both fiction and music. In that time, he has produced the novels Twelve, Thirteen Ye
More about Jasper Kent...

Danilov Quintet (5 books)
  • Twelve (The Danilov Quintet, #1)
  • Thirteen Years Later (The Danilov Quintet,  #2)
  • The People's Will (The Danilov Quintet, #4)
  • The Last Rite (Danilov Quintet, #5)
Twelve (The Danilov Quintet, #1) Thirteen Years Later (The Danilov Quintet,  #2) The People's Will (The Danilov Quintet, #4) The Last Rite (Danilov Quintet, #5) A Fantasy Medley 2