Start by marking “Galaxy Express 999, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Galaxy Express 999, Vol. 1

Galaxy Express 999, Vol. 1 (Galaxy Express 999 (ed. Viz Comics) #1)

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  78 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
In this epic space opera, set in the far future, a young hero hitches a ride on the Galaxy Express 999, an intergalactic "train" that connects distant planets -- and battles a ruling class of mechanized beings determined to stamp out all life.
Published March 8th 1999 by VIZ Media LLC

To ask other readers questions about Galaxy Express 999, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Galaxy Express 999, Vol. 1

Travis
Jun 03, 2008 Travis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, manga
One of my favorite Manga. Full of big cosmic ideas, small human moments, and one of the coolest space ships this side of Doctor Who's Tardis.

In the future, a young orphan boy is rescued by the slum that earth has become by a mysterious woman to travel aboard a space ship that looks like a steam locomotive. There are hints that he has a great destiny ahead of him and that the 'machine people' that are the new super power in the galaxy may be more than just a bunch of arrogant jerks.

Short stand al
Jenni Bader
Mar 24, 2016 Jenni Bader rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
Spoiler Alert
(Review for WSU English Teachers group)
Galaxy Express 999 Volume 1 by well-known anime and manga artist Leiji Matsumoto was my first experience with reading a graphic novel or manga. If not for the assurances of classmates whose opinions I trust, it would probably be my last. I haven’t yet decided if I will keep the book for my classroom library, but I definitely do not think there is any way for me to teach it in class. There is some possibility of it working as the bottom rung of
Sam
Sep 17, 2007 Sam rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: manga fans
I like Star Blazers, and i enjoy the visual qualities of this particular manga artist. Galaxy Express 999 was one of Matsumoto's most famous and endearing works, at least in Japan. there's some great characters here, and an interesting mix of "what the future might be like" with some zany surrealism - the Galaxy Express 999 is a train that travels the Milky Way, from port to port. So it has some romantic qualities to it, which the story exploits quite nicely. In this volume, we're being re-intro ...more
Dave Sammath
Apr 26, 2015 Dave Sammath rated it really liked it
I think this series should definitely have a subtitle that clarifies the fact that it is a translated version of the follow-up series to the initial Galaxy Express 999 adventure. This series takes place about a year or two after the events in the original manga/anime series. From what I've been able to see there is no anime counterpart to this manga series. Although I have some reservations on aspects of this manga, so far it's been enjoyable. The fact that there is a lot more crossover between ...more
Ryan
Dec 28, 2008 Ryan rated it liked it
This series is apparently a sequel to an earlier manga series, so I wasn't sure about all of the characters, but overall it was a fun read. The central idea of it: a locomotive that travels throughout the galaxy, with the inhabitants boarding and disembarking at different planets along the route - is a wonderful one, as well as a powerful metaphor. I'm looking forward to checking out the rest of the series.
Rachel
Oct 19, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this, but sad to find it is actually a sequel to an original series.
The character design is really nice, and the comic is beautifully drawn. There's lots of mystery about the character's final destination on the AI driven space train Galaxy Express 999.
I'm hoping the library has more volumes.
Skull01
May 26, 2011 Skull01 rated it liked it
the art is what makes this series amazing
Alejandro Aburto
Alejandro Aburto marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Laura (ローラ)
Laura (ローラ) is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2016
reveurdart
reveurdart marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Tommy
Tommy rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Taylor Bain
Taylor Bain marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Krystle
Krystle rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Kaz
Kaz marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Rafael Martins
Rafael Martins marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2016
Derrick Nguyen
Derrick Nguyen marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Marlboronine
Marlboronine marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Chelsey
Chelsey is currently reading it
Oct 24, 2015
Daken Howlett
Daken Howlett marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Alana
Alana is currently reading it
Jan 02, 2016
Stefano Grassi
Stefano Grassi rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2015
Nadia
Nadia added it
Aug 03, 2015
William Cardini
William Cardini rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2015
Known Unknown
Known Unknown marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
From the Wikipedia page:
Leiji Matsumoto (松本 零士)is famous for his space operas such as Space Battleship Yamato. His style is characterized by tragic heroes; tall, slender, fragile-looking heroines with strong wills and in some cases, god-like powers; and a love of analog gauges and dials in his spacecraft.
More about Leiji Matsumoto...

Galaxy Express 999 (ed. Viz Comics) (5 books)
  • Galaxy Express 999, Vol. 2