Start by marking “Schott's Almanac” as Want to Read:
Schott's Almanac

Schott's Almanac

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  220 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
This almanac redefines the traditional almanac to present a record of the year just past and a guide to the year ahead. It is designed to be a practical and entertaining annual volume that tells the real stories of the year.
Published November 1st 2010 by Bloomsbury UK (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Schott's Almanac, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Schott's Almanac

Winifred
great book if you like facts
Carmen
Oct 08, 2007 Carmen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like almanacs. I liked this one. This book taught me that Mickey Spillane was dead, that I wasn't the one who coined the term "cyberchondriac," and that Alan Alda was among the least likely celebrities to sign an autograph, according to Autograph Signers magazine. And when he refused to sign my copy of "Free to Be You and Me," I learned that this book was accurate.

But a lot of the info came from 2005, which didn't seem acceptable for a 2007.
Eileen
Jan 13, 2008 Eileen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who read in the bathroom
A fun almanac with all matters of useless and useful info. I don't think I've sat down and work steadily through this book. Instead I found myself randomly turning to different pages and learning something new. Want to learn about "pimp chic"? How about some causes of theatrical bad luck? Do you know what opsigamy is? You will after you read this book.
Maggie Nowakowska
Aug 17, 2007 Maggie Nowakowska rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
A most unusual almanac. For example, in the middle of 2006 weather data, you get a section on Rain Gods of Note. A great book to leave someplace in the house where you often have a moment or three to read something interesting but don't want to get caught up in anything long.
Breck
Jun 21, 2008 Breck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit overwhelming, but a great book to spend 5-10 minutes per day with. Doing so should just about get you through it in time for the next year's edition. It's just a wonderful selection of information.
Matt
Sep 09, 2007 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is great to flip through -- I slowly worked my way cover-to-cover, though, which was great for learning lots of new things, but that I'm not sure whether or not I will repeat next year...
Tattered Cover Book Store
This book will tell you about USPS slang, the Hindu Trinity, the FBI's top ten art crimes and the most literate cities of the U.S. (Denver is one of these.)

Emily

Lysergius
Long lists of things and factoids that are somehow more satisfying in this form than Google or whatever. Get it every year. Its a must...
Kate
Aug 05, 2007 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chock full of all kinds of info from arts and letters to sports...perfect for the subway (or the bathroom).
Kristian
Oct 01, 2008 Kristian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
beautifully typeset and researched, Schott's Almanac is a great piece of pop-culture history.
Dana
Oct 22, 2008 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a truly fascinating book of miscellaneous information and tidbits from 2006.
Shelley
Oct 21, 2012 Shelley rated it it was amazing
I became addicted to this annual almanac. What happened to it?
Sam
Dec 08, 2008 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Great book; full of fascinatingly useless information.
Lewis
Jan 31, 2010 Lewis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good old Schott's, you can't beat it.
Colin
Feb 25, 2008 Colin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scholarly-works
Just for fun, really.
George Coulon
George Coulon marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Ken Watkins
Ken Watkins rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Yuri
Yuri rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Chris Mcdermott
Chris Mcdermott marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2016
William Goodhart
William Goodhart rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Charlotte James
Charlotte James rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
James Smith
James Smith rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Blaithin
Blaithin rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2016
  • 'Isms & 'Ologies: All the Movements, Ideologies and Doctrines That Have Shaped Our World
  • Encyclopedia of Bad Taste
  • Aztec & Maya: The Complete Illustrated History
  • The Shakespeare Miscellany
  • The Complete Costume History / Vollstandige Kostumgeschichte / Le Costume Historique
  • In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • Tomb of Tutankhamen
  • Hollow Earth: The Long and Curious History of Imagining Strange Lands, Fantastical Creatures, Advanced Civilizations, and Marvelous Machines Below the Earth's Surface
  • Babywatching
  • Viva la Repartee: Clever Comebacks and Witty Retorts from History's Great Wits and Wordsmiths
  • Asimov on Science Fiction
  • Love, Sex & Tragedy: How the Ancient World Shapes Our Lives
  • Water Spirits (The Enchanted World Series)
  • The Xenophobe's Guide to the Germans
  • The Mammoth Book of Pirates: Over 25 True Tales of Devilry and Daring by the Most Infamous Pirates of All Time
  • Brewer's Rogues, Villains & Eccentrics: An A-Z of Roguish Britons Through the Ages
  • Expletive Deleted: A Good Look at Bad Language
  • What Good Are the Arts?