Start by marking “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Kisah Aneh Benjamin Button” as Want to Read:
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Kisah Aneh Benjamin Button

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Kisah Aneh Benjamin Button

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  25,928 ratings  ·  2,117 reviews
Hildegarde melambai-lambai bendera sutra besar, menyapanya di teras. Saat Benyamin menciumnya, ia merasa dengan kedalaman hati bahwa tiga tahun sudah diambil dari mereka. Dia adalah seorang wanita yang empat puluh tahun sekarang. Dengan samar, tampak pertempuran garis ubah di kepalanya. Pemandangan itu membuat Benjamin tertekan.

Sampai di kamarnya, ia melihat bayangan yang
Published October 2010 by Bukukatta (first published 1922)

Karolina It is still a worthy experience to read the book, yes it is totally different, but it also makes you apprecieate more the work made on the movie's…moreIt is still a worthy experience to read the book, yes it is totally different, but it also makes you apprecieate more the work made on the movie's script :)(less)

Paquita Maria Sanchez
First of all, how is there an entire movie here? Yeah, yeah, it would probably be best to come back to that.

My overall vote is "meh?" From a clunky start, this short story waxes and wanes in a similar fashion to its title character. All that I could think while reading the first two sections was how Fitzgerald's dialogue and descriptions of character behavior were the literary equivalent of cutting paper dolls out of vellum and proclaiming them to be sentient creatures. Along with being generall
Nishat
This fairly distinguished creation of F. Scott Fitzgerald originally published in 1922 with gorgeous prose, has been always known for the extraordinary story that it has to offer.

Books that you give 3 stars, are the books that you share an absolute perplexing and uncomfortable experience with. Because they stand for something you cannot deny, but at the same time, they lack something you cannot as well necessarily overlook. And The Curious Case of Benjamin Button published as a short story, has
Inder Suri
I have never read anything like this before.
When you pick up a book and you know that it is more a short-story than a novel, it's obvious you can't expect much from the book. It will either be a short tale telling you something related to a significant subject and maximum it can do is to give you a heartwarming and a satisfying ending.

But this book was something more. It was different. Yes, like many others, I already knew those two words very strongly related to this book i.e, "Aging Backwards"
Magdalena
I've seen the movie (twice), and I've been looking forward to reading the short story that the movie is based for a while now. The movie The Curious Case of Benjamin Button has very little in common with the book. The name is the same, and the core is the same, Benjamin Button was born old and as he grows older he grows younger both in the book and the movie. But in the book, he is raised by his father and not abandon at birth and all the rest of the book differs also from the movie.

I liked the
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Originally published as a short-story in Collier's magazine's "Tales of the Jazz Age" in 1922, Fitzgerald's quirky, fairy-tale-like story of a man born at age seventy who gets younger has been widely available as a novella for many years. This collector's edition has been released to coincide with the movie: it's a lovely little black hardcover with glossy pages and wonderful colour illustrations by Calef Brown.

Benjamin Button was born in 1860 at age 70: bald, shrunken, with a long beard and a q
Jean
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a strange little fantasy about a baby born in 1860, who appears to be a withered decrepit old man. He goes on to live his life in reverse, doing all the normal things - running a business, marrying and having children, going to war, attending school and college, and ending up in kindergarten and under the care of a nurse. It was written by Scott Fitzgerald in 1922. Clearly it is a social satire.

In his introduction, Fitzgerald says that he came across a sim
Farnoosh Brock
I read the book after watching the movie and generally, I always read the book first if it came out first. And Fitzgerald definitely came out before movies and films :)!

Loved both but especially the book. I found it amusing that Fitzgerald was almost mocking little Benjamin whose entire dilemma he had created in his imagination.... And it is a very deeply reflective book - I don't know why but I kept thinking about my own life and what it would feel like to age backwards ...

The writing is exquis
Tempo de Ler
'O Estranho Caso de Benjamin Button' é um dos livros que me ofereceu mais prazer a contemplar as implicações do seu conteúdo do que propriamente a lê-lo.

Este livro é a narrativa apressada das memórias de vida de Benjamin; voando sobre as diversas fases da sua vida, sem perder tempo, debruçando-se apenas sobre o essencial. A excêntrica particularidade destas memórias é que a vida de Benjamin decorreu no sentido inverso: nasceu idoso e à medida que 'envelhece' fica cada vez mais novo.

Mas não nos d
Ziba
Absolutely amazing! In no way did this feel like a short-story. Incredible journey. Loved it!
Corinne
This short story begins as Mr. Roger Button is bustling about Baltimore, waiting for the birth of his first born child. The reception he receives as he arrives at the hospital gives him hints that all is NOT right with his child. And it is a MOST curious case: young Button was born old - as in, beard, watery eyes, wrinkles. OLD. Benjamin, as he's named, prefers cigars over rattles and is more comfortable with his grandfather than other tots.

What's even more interesting is that Benjamin grows you
Sumirti Singaravel
Jul 26, 2014 Sumirti Singaravel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All those who love literature n wild imaginations
""Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen"

I don't know whether Fitzgerald got inspired by these lines of thought by Mark Twain, but I can assure you that the above quote sums up this whole short story except that Benjamin Button was born at the age of seventy, approach till the stage of milk-suckling baby, and definitely leads not a life of 'infinitely happy'.

Succinct though it may be, it leaves one with deep thoughts,
Beth F.
I don’t read a lot of short stories because I like having the opportunity to spend longer periods of time getting to know the characters. But I was curious to read this story because the premise sounded interesting and also because Brad Pitt made me do it.

Last night was my company’s holiday party and since I didn’t get home until sometime between 2:30 and 3:00 in the morning, suffice it to say that I was feeling a tad under the weather today. Reading a short story was right up my alley and so I
Salymar
Best tearjerker and thought-provoking story I have read in years.

It got me thinking about life once again. If you look deeply into the message of the story you'll be stunned. The message is simply 'Life isn't measured in minutes, but in moment' and we are given a short time, we must be wise and sure on how we make the most of it.

The novel left me a question that still bugs me until now: Do you still wish you could turn back the clock?

'Some people, were born to sit by a river. Some get struck by
Hunger For Knowledge
I've never been a fan of short stories as I so often feel that they are quite light, somewhat shorthanded and full of holes. In a way, this was also the case with Benjamin Button, although the story plot itself was interesting enough for me to read and finish it.

This was also the first time I read anything (at least according to my memory) from F. Scott Fitzgerald and I did enjoy his style of writing, which is why I am going to explore his oeuvre, hopefully gaining deeper knowledge of his work.
Lavinia
An interesting and pretty original idea. Since it's a story, it moves quite rapidly through Benjamin's life, but you get the point. It reminded me of Eliade's novella, Youth without youth, except in that one the old man gets younger right away, struck by lightening.

Too bad the movie sucks. I successfully wasted almost 3 hours of my life to see a brilliant idea transformed into a cheap love story that has (almost) nothing to do with Fitzgerald's original story.
Abhinav
3 to 3.5 stars to this short novel by F. Scott Fitzegerald.

This happens to be the first time I've read anything written by Fitzgerald. Don't know how true is it but I read somewhere that this was his breakthrough novel of sorts. Not the most remarkable thing I've read, honestly. But the author presents a more or less accurate reflection of American society in the late 19th century & the early 20th century. Benjamin Button's family affairs also managed to retain some amount of interest throug
Cheryl Kennedy
The aging process becomes all-powerful at the funeral of a loved one. It marks the containment of a life; there is no more to be added. When we welcome an infant, we celebrate all that there is to come; the possibilities are truly limitless.

F. Scott Fitzgerald's fable is about this journey in reverse, as a man of seventy years with the language capabilities, interests, and the physical infirmities familiar to old age, begins his life in 1860's Baltimore, the first child of Mr. and Mrs. Button. H
Miguel
O Estranho Caso de Benjamin Button certificou-me o talento indomável, incontrolável e ingovernável de F. Scott Fitzgerald. A sua escrita poética suspirante não nos deixa intactos. Pelo contrário, de tão harmónica e melíflua, pode-nos conduzir à adulação excessiva.
As histórias que o autor inventa têm, muitas das vezes, um núcleo recriminador, mas as matérias sobrepostas a esse centro podem não agradar gregos e troianos.
Este é um conto acerca da idade. Os acontecimentos da vida estão já quase todo
Jonathan
I must confess that I rather enjoy the prose of one certain F.Scott Fitzgerald. Though many critics dislike the shallow nature of The Great Gatsby's characters there is such a poignant lyricism in the words of that novel. The very short novel The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is likewise extremely well written and very clever. Many people will have seen the film I'm sure though I myself was not interested.

What intrigued me so much about Fitzgerald's work here was the fact that he was able to p
د.حنان فاروق
هذه الرواية القصيرة أو النوفيلا تذكرني بشرح أحدهم لماهية الإبداع حين قال:إنه أن تفكر بالأمر اعتيادي بشكل غير اعتيادي تماماً كما ابتكر التعليم عن بعد حين فكر مبدع ما بأن تذهب المدرسة إلى طالب العلم بدلاً من أن يذهب طالب العلم إليها...إنه أسلوب (ماذا لو؟)...وأظنه في تلك حقبة التي كتب فيها فيتزجيرالد روايته لم يكن كنتشراً بالشكل المتعارف عليه الآن...استمتعت بالسرد..بالطريقة نفسها..وبالعالم الغريب الذي يتأقلم مع القوي مهما كانت غرابته ويستنكر الضعيف مهما كانت قرابته ...كنت أتمنى أن تطول هذه الرواية ...more
Veronica
Grottesco e struggente. Completamente diverso dal film. Il finale è molto commovente e descritto in modo magistrale.
lanalang
La cosa più ingiusta della vita è come finisce. Voglio dire: la vita è dura e impiega la maggior parte del nostro tempo. Cosa ottieni alla fine? La morte. Che significa? Che cos’è la morte? Una specie di bonus per aver vissuto? Credo che il ciclo vitale dovrebbe essere del tutto rovesciato. Bisognerebbe iniziare morendo, così ci si leva subito il pensiero. Poi, in un ospizio dal quale si viene buttati fuori perché troppo giovani. Ti danno una gratifica e quindi cominci a lavorare per quarant’ann ...more
Ana Rînceanu
This book always puts me in a bittersweet, romantic mood and I always wonder if Benjamin was unlucky to be born with this disease or lucky to be born at the same time as Daisy...
Huzeyfe
Bir solukta okunabilecek bir kitap. Yakın zamanda Muhteşem Gatsby'i okumak istiyorum o nedenle o kitap için bir hazırlık olsun diye okudum.

Fikir olarak çok güzel bir kitap. Zaten filmini de yaptılar ama kitabı okuduktan sonra bu kadar sade ve kısa bir kitaptan nasıl o kadar uzun ve görece yavaş tempolu bir film çıkardılar merak ettim doğrusu.

Genelde kitaplar filmlerden daha güzel olur. Öyle olmasaydı filmler kitaplardan uyarlanmaz tam tersi kitaplar filmlerden yazılırdı ama sanırım burada tersin
√RA
If the movie terrified me at the sight of poor old Benjamin, well, the book redoubled it. I can’t even process the idea of how the infant Button looks like, might as well the way he talk. I mean, I was particularly stunned when he started talking! Oh my god! He can already talked at the age of what? Six hours?! A new-born for only six hours had protested about his food and clothing. Brilliant!

Isn’t he the most unfortunate fictional character way back 1922?! Because as far as I’m concerned, the f
Dahl
Me puse a leer este cuento por casualidad. Vi la película hace tiempo, pero no me pareció especialmente interesante. Me gustó la idea, sí, pero no me impresionó tanto como para que me propusiera leer el libro, como me sucede en otras ocasiones.

Empecé a leer porque estaba haciendo un viaje largo en tren. Llevaba varias horas escribiendo, pero compré un café en el vagón restaurante y siempre le encuentro placer a acompañar el café con una lectura interesante, especialmente si le acompaña el traque
Prashant
Such a unique(and curious) story to tell and Fitzgerald did it so effortlessly.

We all can recognize this title after the movie and that's what put this book in my TR list in the first place. I haven't watched the movie and after reading this story am curious(!) as how Brad Pitt would have done justice to such finely streamlined storyline.

Living life when the whole timeline has reversed itself brings forth challenges unthought and territories uncharted.

Fitzgerald tells the story of Mr. Benjami
John
A nice idea, but one that the movie version with Brad Pitt capitalizes on a whole lot better. In the movie version, we are asked merely to believe that a person can age backwards. In the book version, however, we are asked to believe that a man can be born fully grown (5’8”), that he can be born with fully-developed muscles and a fully-developed brain enabling him to walk and talk like an adult, that his brain would age backwards as well as his body, that doctors and scientists would show no int ...more
Pisey
is it irony that i think the movie is better?
  • A Dog's Tale
  • Beyond Lies the Wub
  • A House of Pomegranates
  • Cuentos breves y extraordinarios
  • The Scarlet Plague
  • A Clean Well Lighted Place (Short Stories)
  • Inception: The Shooting Script
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American writer of novels and short stories, whose works have been seen as evocative of the Jazz Age, a term he himself allegedly coined. He is regarded as one of the greatest twentieth century writers. Fitzgerald was of the self-styled "Lost Generation," Americans born in the 1890s who came of age during World War I. He finished four novels, left a fifth unfini ...more
More about F. Scott Fitzgerald...
The Great Gatsby Tender Is the Night This Side of Paradise The Beautiful and Damned The Short Stories

“For what it’s worth: it’s never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the courage to start all over again.” 2468 likes
“Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.” 844 likes