Start by marking “Meet Letty (Our Australian Girl - Letty, #1)” as Want to Read:
Meet Letty (Our Australian Girl - Letty, #1)

Meet Letty (Our Australian Girl - Letty #1)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  8 reviews
It's 1841 . . .
and Letty is on the docks in England, farewelling her bossy older sister who is about to take a long sea voyage to Australia. But then there is a mix-up, and before she knows it Letty finds herself on the ship too, travelling to New South Wales! How will Letty manage when her sister doesn't even want her on the ship? And what will it be like on the other si
Published January 31st 2011 by Penguin Australia (first published January 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Meet Letty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meet Letty

Sally
I loved Letty's story :) Though Rose is still my favourite!

This is 1841, and Letty's older sister is to sail to Australia (from England) to start a new life for herself. You get the idea that she and her father's new wife don't really get along. Anyway, Letty is there to see Lavinia off, and she has to mind the chest and NOT LEAVE ITS SIDE. So when it's loaded onto the ship, Letty follows... and then no one will listen to her until it's too late, and the ship has set sail - with her still on it!
Rebecca
It's 1841, and Letty and her father have come to the docks to say goodbye to Letty's older sister, Lavinia, who is leaving on a long sea voyage from England to Australia. There are very few women in Australia, so the government is encouraging young women from England to emigrate to Australia. Unfortunately, Letty waits too long on the ship, and before she knows it she is stuck on board as the ship sails away.

The sea voyage is long and difficult and Letty misses her family. Lavinia tries to be ki
Melina
This was probably my least favourite out of the four introductory books in the Our Australian Girl series, but it was still an enjoyable read. Letty’s sister, Lavinia is heading out to start a new life in New South Wales, when Letty finds herself accidentally on the ship as well! The book mostly looks at the difficult journey to New South Wales, as well as introducing the odious Jemima and the helpful Abner who befriend Letty on the journey.

I think one of the reasons I didn’t like this one as mu
t4truffles
Jan 22, 2012 t4truffles added it
Shelves: history
The characters Lavinia and Letty are very different because Letty is good and will do anything to help whereas Lavinia... Well, she's a bit more take and less give than Letty!
Faye
Fabulous new series for young girls, shows how hard things were in those days. I really enjoyed reading this book and will be reading the rest of the series.
Luci
I found this book quite interesting, although it was a very easy read. The story line was great and I loved the concept. I have started to read the series.
Yvette
This is a lovely story for junior readers. I love so many of the historical novels that are being written.
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Charlotte Field
Charlotte Field marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Harriet
Harriet marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Tiarhn
Tiarhn marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Eleanor
Eleanor marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Io
Io added it
Apr 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Year of the Tiger Letty and the Stranger's Lace  (Our Australian Girl - Letty, #2) Letty on the Land  (Our Australian Girl - Letty, #3) Letty's Christmas (Our Australian Girl - Letty, #4) Wicked Warriors and Evil Emperors: The True Story of the Fight for Ancient China