Start by marking “Meet Letty (Our Australian Girl - Letty, #1)” as Want to Read:
Meet Letty (Our Australian Girl - Letty, #1)

Meet Letty (Our Australian Girl - Letty #1)

It's 1841 . . .
and Letty is on the docks in England, farewelling her bossy older sister who is about to take a long sea voyage to Australia. But then there is a mix-up, and before she knows it Letty finds herself on the ship too, travelling to New South Wales! How will Letty manage when her sister doesn't even want her on the ship? And what will it be like on the other si
Published January 31st 2011 by Penguin Australia (first published January 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Meet Letty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meet Letty

Sally
Mar 17, 2012 Sally rated it really liked it
I loved Letty's story :) Though Rose is still my favourite!

This is 1841, and Letty's older sister is to sail to Australia (from England) to start a new life for herself. You get the idea that she and her father's new wife don't really get along. Anyway, Letty is there to see Lavinia off, and she has to mind the chest and NOT LEAVE ITS SIDE. So when it's loaded onto the ship, Letty follows... and then no one will listen to her until it's too late, and the ship has set sail - with her still on it!
Melina
This was probably my least favourite out of the four introductory books in the Our Australian Girl series, but it was still an enjoyable read. Letty’s sister, Lavinia is heading out to start a new life in New South Wales, when Letty finds herself accidentally on the ship as well! The book mostly looks at the difficult journey to New South Wales, as well as introducing the odious Jemima and the helpful Abner who befriend Letty on the journey.

I think one of the reasons I didn’t like this one as mu
Rebecca
It's 1841, and Letty and her father have come to the docks to say goodbye to Letty's older sister, Lavinia, who is leaving on a long sea voyage from England to Australia. There are very few women in Australia, so the government is encouraging young women from England to emigrate to Australia. Unfortunately, Letty waits too long on the ship, and before she knows it she is stuck on board as the ship sails away.

The sea voyage is long and difficult and Letty misses her family. Lavinia tries to be ki
Cass A
Jul 29, 2015 Cass A rated it liked it
Junior fiction (Yrs 4-6).This was an enjoyable read about a plucky young girl, Letty, who doesn't mean to end up on a ship bound for the New South Wales. Luckily she's with her older sister, but they face illness and poor nutrition on the voyage, plus Lavinia's job falls through upon arrival and it's clear they'll have to continue to use their initiative to make it in the new colony.
Renee Murden
Jan 18, 2016 Renee Murden rated it really liked it
even though this is a children's book, and my daughter gave it to me to hold whilst in the dentist... so what would you do??? of course read it, and once l started reading l got lost in the novel and couldn't put it down, my daughter loves them and also gets lost in them. Great for kids aged 9 or the big kids too.
Lucila
Feb 12, 2013 Lucila rated it really liked it
I found this book quite interesting, although it was a very easy read. The story line was great and I loved the concept. I have started to read the series.
Anna Davidson
The beginning of a great series that introduces young readers to historical fiction. Can't wait to read and share the others in the series with the students in my class.
Faye
Jun 05, 2011 Faye rated it it was amazing
Fabulous new series for young girls, shows how hard things were in those days. I really enjoyed reading this book and will be reading the rest of the series.
Yvette
Jun 13, 2011 Yvette rated it really liked it
This is a lovely story for junior readers. I love so many of the historical novels that are being written.
t4truffles
Jul 21, 2011 t4truffles added it
Shelves: history
The characters Lavinia and Letty are very different because Letty is good and will do anything to help whereas Lavinia... Well, she's a bit more take and less give than Letty!
Heidi
Jul 16, 2015 Heidi rated it it was amazing
My eldest son and I continue with our Australian History unit as we work our way through this wonderful series of books! We are enjoying them as read aloud selections.
Alyse
Alyse rated it it was ok
Jun 02, 2011
Tehani
Tehani rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2011
Jamilee
Jamilee rated it really liked it
May 18, 2012
Pauline
Pauline rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2013
Paisley
Paisley rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2013
Briana
Briana rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2016
Genevieve Butterfield
Genevieve Butterfield rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2015
AyathmaB
AyathmaB rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2015
Gabrielle
Gabrielle rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2012
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2016
Lucy
Lucy rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2015
Caitlyn
Caitlyn rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2016
Victoria Lane
Victoria Lane rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2014
Isa
Isa rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2014
Indigo
Indigo rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2016
Kristie
Kristie rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2013
AshieLovesYou
AshieLovesYou rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2016
Isobel Watson Clark
Isobel Watson Clark rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2011
Kymmw
Kymmw rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

Our Australian Girl - Letty (4 books)
  • Letty and the Stranger's Lace  (Our Australian Girl - Letty, #2)
  • Letty on the Land  (Our Australian Girl - Letty, #3)
  • Letty's Christmas (Our Australian Girl - Letty, #4)