Start by marking “The Dark, Dark House” as Want to Read:
The Dark, Dark House

The Dark, Dark House

2.81 of 5 stars 2.81  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Bestselling & Popular Flash Fiction

The Dark, Dark House: In houses with secrets, it is always very dark.

Fifteen Seconds Ago: Life is unpredictable, so maybe things do not always have to be perfect.

My Child, My Life: We can learn a lot from the elderly instead of always pushing them aside.

My Entry into the Abyss: She is afraid of who she really is when Dr. Anderson lead
Kindle Edition, Second Edition, 25 pages
Published July 1st 2013 by Lynette Ferreira (first published September 25th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark, Dark House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark, Dark House

N. Wetzel
This collection of flash fiction were gripping, entertaining and some insightful. I loved it. Towards the end, there were some important ones with helpful links as well.

I picked it up while it was free, and from what I can tell it is a forever free book. Great for many different readers. Each message that I found was a powerful one. If you are looking for something to pass the time, that is well written. You've found it.
Amy Freese
I was on a 2 hour road trip and needed a shorter read to pass the time. So I picked this one. It really was not what I expected. This was not so much ONE short, more like several. What I see as starts to potentially larger tales.

I did find it to be well written, my attention was caught. The topics brought to light are not simple ones. They are emotion filled, quite serious things the writer is wishing to bring public awareness to. In that, I feel she succeeded.

I would certainly read more from t
Charlotte Samantha Gray
This flash fiction says a whole lot in just a few words and is definitely worth 5 stars.

To me, this story is not literally about a house, it is of a grown woman looking back at a memory of a secret so dark, it had to be said twice as she rummaged through a drawer of discarded items in her mind. I suppose each person takes his or her own idea away from it.

I did not care much for the author's note at the end and I felt it was unnecessary.
Julie Powell
I was given this book for review and found that although it was short it has a powerful message. I liked the 'dark, dark' and understand the reasons behind it. It also enjoyed the writing style which flowed and unfolded the idea well - the ending jolted the senses - like any good story.

I don't give spoilers but will say that this is a thoughtful and thought provoking tale.
This is a collection of short stories, Flash fiction to be exact. Each story has a message to send. Each one is pretty powerful and made me thinking about it. Very witty. There is an element of darkness in each story.
Marcia Carrington
An intriguing short story, well set up, with plenty of atmospheric detail to soak up. The ending is surprising, and while at first glance seems jarring, makes sense once you take all the details of the story into account.
Jason Maurer
A very short [flash fiction] story based on that old children's story about the dark, dark house in the dark, dark woods. The twist at the end left me stunned and on the verge of tears. Such a powerful message. Well done.
It was alright, for a short "scary" story. Not much to say, since it was so short, but it was the classic "scary bedtime story." Not bad, if that's what you're looking for.
Powerful short story. Did not expect the ending and will be getting more of the author's stories.
Apparently there are different versions. The one I read had several, pretty good stories.
A Book Vacation
This is a very short story that I think has the potential to be more, but I personally had a hard time following it. Upon beginning the story, readers will quickly note that it’s extremely repetitive. Now, this is a writing technique that Ferreira uses on purpose, repeating the word “dark” multiple times, but I found that I really didn’t enjoy this repetition. If you look up at the very short synopsis, you’ll get an idea of what I mean about the repetition.

Yet, while half of the story is extreme
Timothy McNeil
Flash Fiction is not normally for general readership

Apparently there are different versions of this out there. The one I have only had the one work (and not a collection of FF works). I am not a fan of an author explaining his/her work.
Don't bother reading this. The beginning is tedious with its repetition of the word dark which doesn't accomplish an ominous tone. Instead it serves to make you want to skip the extra and unnecessary "darks" as you read. Just when you think the story finally gets going the writer ends it and then includes a social commentary about child abuse. Indeed an important issue but save yourself some time... skip this story and donate to a child abuse prevention charity instead. (I am giving this 2 stars ...more
Lynette Ferreira
Nov 11, 2015 Lynette Ferreira rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Bestselling & Popular Flash Fiction
The Dark, Dark House #1 (Lynette Ferreira) photo X THE DARK DARK HOUSE 1_zpsmkgfntvk.jpg
Sarah Ballance
I normally try to appreciate each author's voice and the story's individual tone, but none of this made sense to me. It went from sing-song to brutal -- or at least hints at brutal -- and I didn't follow much of anything in between. Bottom line: I'm bewildered.
Annoyingly repetitive in the beginning. Maybe if there had been more to it, it may have been something that I could have gotten into. However, I didn't really care for it at all.
Mickey Reed
Maybe I just didn't get it, but maybe 500 words just isn't enough for a STORY.
grace vianey
grace vianey is currently reading it
Nov 23, 2015
Lisa Costa
Lisa Costa marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Kme_17 marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Tura Casey
Tura Casey marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
lupe marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Betty Macy
Betty Macy marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Jennifer Mull
Jennifer Mull marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
  • Bullied:  The Complete Series
  • Desolation Road
  • The Disembodied
  • Starr Bright Will Be With You Soon
  • A Great and Glorious Game: Baseball Writings of A. Bartlett Giamatti
  • The Third Floor (Angel Hill, #1)
  • The Hour of the Time
  • Behold the Child (Novella)
  • Timeline
  • You Know Me Al
  • Twilight Zone: 19 Original Stories on the 50th Anniversary
  • The Norton Anthology Of Literature By Women: The Traditions In English
  • The Tidewater Sisters: (Carolina #1.5)
  • Give Me Your Heart: Tales of Mystery and Suspense
  • The Journal of James Halldon (Diary of the Displaced, #1)
  • Haunted
  • In the Hunt: Unauthorized Essays on Supernatural
  • Island Ghosts
Lynette Ferreira took the brave leap into self-publishing in 2009 when she published My Recycled Soul. She loves writing about first love, really cute boys, kissing, and all the drama. She also likes to explore ideas and theories regarding the workings of the universe, and she is intrigued by souls and the metaphysical world.

She was born in South Africa, lived in Namibia and Ireland, and currentl
More about Lynette Ferreira...

“When there were moments when I wondered how I would get through the night, you were there to comfort me, to hold me close. One look in your eyes anchored me, made me feel safe from the turmoil surrounding me.” 0 likes
“I sacrificed for only you. I loved you from that moment I felt you flutter in my womb.” 0 likes