Start by marking “Song of the Wanderer (Unicorn Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Song of the Wanderer (Unicorn Chronicles, #2)

Song of the Wanderer (Unicorn Chronicles #2)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  7,475 ratings  ·  161 reviews
Cara continues her journey in a faraway world called Luster, the land of the unicorns. On a mission from the Queen to bring back her grandmother, the Wanderer, Cara faces old enemies and finds surprising new allies.
Published November 1st 1999 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Song of the Wanderer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Song of the Wanderer

Mark
Its about Unicorns. For Heaven's sake, what is there not to like?

However, to elucidate further. This is the second volume of the Trilogy of 'The Unicorn Chronicles' and during the course of this book new characters are encountered which enrich the whole narrative. Whether these be Unicorns or other creatures, they are filled out in detail and the personalities of each one are fleshed out. As a result, new comrades and new enemies for Cara, the heroine, are introduced. My personal favourite being
Diane
Alright, alright, I'll admit it. I'm in my freshman year of high school and I still believe in unicorns. A lot of that is thanks to Bruce Coville. I adored this book as a young girl, and have ever since. It made me want to believe in unicorns and magic worlds in a way that nothing else did.

I read this book before I read Into the Land of the Unicorns, so the fact that I prefer this one may be a little skewed. Looking back on both, though, I really do think this is the better book; the first is lo
Kaila
This review can also be read on my blog, Stumptown Books.

The second novel in The Unicorn Chronicles picks up mere moments after the first novel ended, plopping us right back down into the action. Cara is given a quest within a few pages and she sets off without much ado. We are introduced to a few new unicorns, and Thomas continues the adventure with the party.

One of the things I enjoy about this series is that the unicorns are hardly perfect. They each have character flaws, egos, and occasional
June
Jul 13, 2012 June rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Unicorn chronicle fans
Recommended to June by: Joan
This is a re-read, pre goodreads, but I enjoyed it enough to read it again and I've ordered the next. I enjoyed the development of the father & the twists at the end involving Cara's grandmother.
Trice
I have to start by saying that a lot or, okay, at least some of the names are on the stupid side - a unicorn ruled world called 'Luster'? sorry - that takes things to the ridiculous, princessy end of things... although I guess since this is intended for kids it is more understandable that the author doesn't try harder in that department - as a kid I think I would have been more ready to go along with it. The name thing is balanced out a bit by the grumpy nature of more than one of the unicorns, ...more
Daniel
If you read any of my reviews, you'll know that I'm a fan of Bruce Coville's writing. His Unicorn Chronicles is one of the best series for fantasy readers of any age.

Although I first read this book many years ago, I've begun reading the series to my boys, ages 11 and 12, and they absolutely love it.

They were both hesitant at first, and neither would read the series on their own, thinking that it was a 'girl's' book. But neither wants me to read anything else now until I've started the series.

The
trina
instead of finishing the two very good, very adult books i began a month ago or whatever, i've instead gone back in time by rereading all the books i loved as a kid- this one, i did not love as a kid because i didn't read it until yesterday, but i loooooved the first book of the unicorn chronicles because let's face it: unicorns, dragons, an enchanted forest, and an independent, strong twelve-year-old-girl-main-character? perfection for a 4rth grader (which i was), and truth be told, enjoyable e ...more
Beth
This book went on forEVER. I wasn't wild about the first book in the series, but my six-year-old daughter loved it and wanted to read this one. It's 330 pages and took us weeks to get through, reading it aloud, even though I skipped some of the interminable journey passages. Coville knows what elementary school girls love, I'll give him that. But all I could think about while we read was the stack of terrific children's books we could have been reading instead.

If my daughter wants to read #3, I
Miceala Shocklee
For me, this is the book that started it all.

Knowing that, you may understand that I am perhaps a bit biased in my opinion.

You see, I came across this book - I believe in a now-closed Borders bookstore, the one on Manchester Road in St. Louis, Missouri that I grew up going to - as something like a fourth grader. By then I had of course made my way through an admirable berth of the behemoth that is fantasy literature. I had started into C.S. Lewis, become friends with the words of Madeleine L'Eng
Lisa
Song Of The Wanderer, by Bruce Coville (The Unicorn Chronicles, Book #2)
★★★ ½ (rounding up to 4)

Synopsis: Cara must return to Earth to save her grandmother, the Wanderer. But to do so, Cara must first travel through the wilderness of Luster, land of the unicorns, and to the back of the dragon Ebillan’s cave. Only there will she find the gate that can bring her back home.
As Cara embarks on the journey of her live, there is one person who stands in her way: Beloved, Cara’s ancient ancestor, who ha
Clearwater Public Library Staff Picks
Cara now knows more about her family and its history. But one member of her family, the Wanderer, is missing. She must be brought safely back to Luster or the unicorns will suffer. Cara, now a staunch friend and ally to the unicorns, especially her greatest friend Lightfoot, sets out on a journey to bring the Wanderer home. Cara journeys back and forth between Luster and Earth and goes on an extraordinary magical adventure. The cast of new characters are so lively and interesting and when you fi ...more
Cinnamingirl
Although I admit there were still some eye-rolling moments (unicorn names, seriously. Amalia Flickerfoot? Seriously trying to hard. Although - Last Unicorn reference!), this was actually pretty good and I enjoyed it. Cara becomes less annoying, the plot thickens, etc. I think I'll finish the series just to see how it turns out. But first, I have to finish Dreams of Gods & Monsters cause the library wants it back....
Melanie Fair
So it's sad that I just gave this book a three-star rating, after how much I loved "Into the Land of the Unicorns", but it just didn't connect on the same level with me. I felt this way after "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets", this emptiness without knowing WHY. I mean, it's a decent book, but it's hard to make a traveling part of a series enthralling (Harry Potter and the Prolonged Camping Trip...)
I am just so sick of the word "wander". All of Cara's thoughts wandered. Her grandmother w
Marie
I loved this book it was worth the wait between the first book. I was 11 when I read book 1 and fifteen with this book came out and like book one I could not put it down. I memorized the Song of the Wanderer like I did the first book. At the time could not wait for book three. Needless to say I had a long wait I was 25 when book three came out and all the magic left that book.
Allison
In a trip down memory lane - I discovered the #2 book in the Unicorn Chronicles. I read Book #1 when I was 10. I was a girl ready for unicorns & other worlds! Unfortunately, by the time this one came out - I was 15 & had moved into more complex worlds (I'm looking at you, Robert Jordan). The 10-year-old-me was intrigued & picked it up.

I think I would have loved it if I had read it when I was younger, but now the plot falls together a bit too conveniently with Cara's family & thei
Megan
In this thrilling second installment Cara is returning to earth to fetch her grandmother, the famous Wanderer. But getting the Wanderer home will be no easy task, and the Wanderer herself may not be what she appears. A page turner to be sure and a dream made real for anyone who as ever dreamed about meeting a unicorn.
Ellie
The song of the wanderer was about a girl named Cara who had to leave the land of the unicorns to find the wanderer. I did like this book for many reasons but if I had to choose one it would be because their was lots of action in this book. I recommend this book to people who like action.
Nicki
I bought the first series when I was very young an happened to stumble upon the (finally finished) rest of the series. I enjoyed the book and the chance to pick up where I left off 20 years ago and now I will have to finish the series.
MoonTea
This was my favorite book back in 8th grade....I remember because we were asked to write down our favorite things for the school time capsule, haha. Anyway, this was such a beautiful second installment~ I love the main character in all her low self-esteem and gathering strength. She was very relatable :). I remember being so sad that the 3rd book had still not been written and it seemed to be taking him ages....

I just researched out of curiosity and it appears he DID indeed finally finish the se
I definitely liked the first book better. There were way too many "surprises." Cara basically rediscovers her entire family, including grandparents, over the course of this novel purely by coincidence. In fact, there are a whole lot of coincidences in this novel, too many for it to be truly enjoyable. The narrative jumps around too much and relies on plot tricks.

There are some interesting characters, M'Gama for one could prove to be someone to watch if she is maintained in the next two novels. H
Virginia♥
Apr 19, 2008 Virginia♥ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young fantasy readers
Summary: This girl named Cara falls into this world called Luster. There are all kinds of Unicorns. The queen is Arabella Skydancer. Cara goes on a perilous journey to fetch the one known as the Wanderer. Along the way, she encounters deors, i think that's what they are called. Along the journey, they meet Thomas the Tinker, who pulls around a cart. They reach Grimwold, the writer of the Unicorn Chronicles. When they reach Earth, Beloved is waiting for Cara. Beloved gets the amulet, but Cara's f ...more
Sherilyn Lipke
Once again I'm trapped within the wonderful world of Luster. I've been reading this series since I was a small girl and I have always felt that this story tapped on my heart. Re-reading this story before continuing onto the next book was a wise choice. Compared to the first book, this book is much more mature and adult. The characters remain the same, but you seem them differently. It's good. It's refreshing. It reminds me of The Harry Potter series because is seems the series matures with time. ...more
Vernon Ray
I got this for two reasons. I'm trying to build a library for a junior high classroom, and I love Bruce Coville. It was a random grab in a thrift store, so I haven't read book 1.

Bottom line, this book was way too girly for me. I liked the end. I really liked the Dimblethum even though I don't think I ever got a clear picture of him. He was probable described more in the first book. Beloved was really intriguing, I think she could be the subject of a whole book herself, perhaps a little more of
Barbara
In this second book of the series, so many things happen but there is obviously still way more plot to go. The struggle between good and evil is brought to life in such a vivid story with great, unique characters and a fast-paced interested plot line. I don't want to give spoilers out but I will say that I didn't see some of the plot twists coming and was intrigued with how the characters will get themselves out of their situations. Thankfully, I have the other two on my desk, otherwise I might ...more
Mary Taitt
Oct 19, 2012 Mary Taitt rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of children's lit and lovers of fantasy
Recommended to Mary by: no one, I came across it by accident
I liked it very much except for some writing flaws that bugged me enough to refrain from giving it a ten (5). Cara goes in search of her grandmother with a team of helpers. She has to go through the dragon's cave to return from Luster to Earth. She faces grave dangers, learns many lessons. A classic quest with many classic features but with its own good details. I have not read the first one yet, but got this one for a dollar at the library recycle table and couldn't resist getting it and readin ...more
Andrew Shin
I love this book! Thrilling, fantastic adventures!
Cynthia Harmon
LOVE THE SERIES WISH THERE WERE MORE.
Crystal
well written and absolutely exciting from start to finish.
Shimmywith4
Another great adventure in the Unicorn Chronicles. You fall in love with all the characters all over again and sit in such suspense of what is going to happen next that it is very hard to put down. The only reason that I didn't give it 5 stars was I felt a little uncomfortable with how a bathing scene was described. But I think that is strictly just my personal vibe and feelings. Still a book that I would willingly let my 11 year daughter read and I think that she would love it.
Erin
I love this book! It starts off a little slow in the beginning, and after the cliffhanger in the first book, you want the action to start immediately. This sequel to Into the Land of Unicorns makes the reader fall more in love with Luster and its inhabitants. The reader also learns some startling truths about Cara's family. There are new friends and fun adventures. It takes maybe three hours to read through, but it leaves you feeling content at the end.
  • Night of the Shifter's Moon (Unicorns Of Balinor, #7)
  • Flight of the Dragon Kyn (Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • Birth of the Firebringer (Firebringer, #1)
  • Secret of the Unicorn (Avalon: Web of Magic #4)
  • Black Unicorn (Unicorn, #1)
  • Reunion (Water, #2)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf (The Squire's Tales, #3)
  • Enter the Enchanted (Everworld, #3)
  • Dangerous Games
Into the Land of the Unicorns (Unicorn Chronicles, #1) Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (Magic Shop, #2) My Teacher is an Alien (My Teacher is an Alien, #1) William Shakespeare's: A Midsummer Night's Dream (Shakespeare Retellings, #2) William Shakespeare's: The Tempest

“Gadfangled girl things, always robbed me of my common sense.” 12 likes