Start by marking “Dear Mrs. Kennedy,: The World Shares Its Grief: Letters November 1963” as Want to Read:
Dear Mrs. Kennedy,: The World Shares Its Grief: Letters November 1963

Dear Mrs. Kennedy,: The World Shares Its Grief: Letters November 1963

Originally published: New York: St. Martin's Press, c2010.
Hardcover, Large Print, 307 pages
Published December 1st 2010 by Center Point (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dear Mrs. Kennedy,, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Mrs. Kennedy,

Megan
Jan 13, 2014 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

I went into this book with high, high hopes. It was not what I originally went to the library to pick up. I had ventured to my down town library to procure Letters to Jackie as the online catalog said the book was "in." When I got to the library and went in search of the book I learned that it was no where to be found so I picked this one up instead as it appeared quite similar.
Now I haven't read Letters to Jackie yet, but I hope it is more engaging than this particular book. This book
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Americans connected with the Kennedy family in a way that they had never done with previous presidents. Perhaps it's was JFK's youth or his ideals. Perhaps it was his movie-star looks and beautiful, poised young wife. Perhaps it was the fact that technology had made it possible for a real-time look at the president. In November of 1963, while the world watched, President John F. Kennedy was assassinated, and many Americans were forever changed. Those who remember that day, remember where they we ...more
Nov 24, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars
From my book review blog Rundpinne. ....Dear Mrs. Kennedy by Jay Mulvaney and Paul De Angelis takes the reader back to 1964 and the world’s outpouring of love to the Kennedy family after the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. In an emotional and poignant manner, the authors select from telegrams, and notes from over a million people from all classes and cultures from around the world that were sent to Mrs. Jacqueline Kennedy in 1964. Rather than merely selecting several letter
Britni
Jun 18, 2011 Britni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When was the last time you sat down and wrote and mailed a real letter? Try one million letters. Ever since I visited the American History Museum in DC last year I've had a small fascination with Jacqueline Kennedy. Maybe it's because she was beautiful or a style icon, or maybe because her husband was killed. One way or another after seeing her pictures and hearing a little bit of her story I jumped at the chance to review a new book called, Dear Mrs. Kennedy: The World Shares Its Grief Letters, ...more
Cherie' Schier
I went to this book expecting to get a view of how the world experienced the Kennedy assassination through different perspectives. I did enjoy reading the letters from a wide array of people, but I cannot understand why the authors of the book chose certain letters over others. Often, it seemed like they were including selections just to try and fit in their own personal narrative, but the inclusion seemed forced. Other times they mentioned letters that I would have found more interesting; howev ...more
Jill
Nov 17, 2010 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After President Kennedy's death, Letters of sympathy poured in to Jackie and her children. As the authors report, “by the time the official collection of condolence correspondence ended in early 1965, it totaled some 1,250,000 pieces.” Most of them have never been shared with the public until now. The authors reprinted representative samples of letters to demonstrate the depth and breadth of emotion evoked by the killing of the President.

This book gives an inside look at the world’s response to
Ann
Feb 12, 2011 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was serving a tour of duty in Africa when Kennedy was assasinated and did not return to the USA until a year later. Communication was a challenge in that place at that time so I missed seeing all the images on TV. This book gave me a good sense of how Mrs. Kennedy carried on at this difficult time. I also found the book a quick history of that time. I loved the letters from little children, especially from the boy from Poland. The world leaders condolences were amazing. I especially liked the ...more
Patty
Jan 10, 2011 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the weeks and months following the assassination of her husband, First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy received more than one million letters. The impact of President Kennedy's death was so immense that people from every station in life wrote to her, sharing their feelings of sympathy, sorrow, and hope. This book was more than just a collection of those letters but it tells the story of the aftermath and the Kennedy mystique.
Cathy
May 10, 2013 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be absolutely fascinating. To me the fact that Jackie Kennedy received in excess of 900,000 letters of condolence after JFK was killed, was a history fact I had never even heard of. The telegrams from heads of state and foreign countries were heartfelt and compelling. However, the handwritten letters from ordinary people really capture the powerful emotions that must have been felt by so many at that time in our countries history.
Jessica
The actual letters were amazing. The only thing I can relate it to, that I have lived through, would be September 11th and the national grief that was poured out on that day. However, this book had lots of extra info that surrounded the letters; this was completely unnecessary. I finally began skipping the commentary and just reading the letters. I actually purchased "Letters To Jackie" before this one and it is entirely letters, so I am looking forward to reading it.
Amanda
Jun 05, 2015 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading about this famous loss and those in mourning is as heartbreaking as it sounds. I found myself sitting on the floor of Barnes and Noble sobbing while reading the letters. No matter personal opinions of JFK or even Jackie, the world reaching out to this woman and her family in mourning is an inspiring and beautiful thing.
Brisbride13
I would have given this book a higher rating, except that I found myself crying through much off it; I could feel the deep sadness and grief of many of the letters. I know the letters were the point of the book, but the descriptions of the upcoming letters were a bit boring so I found myself skimming that part After 3/4 of the book I put it down and Im not going to finish it.
Stacey
Nov 06, 2010 Stacey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy books about the Kennedys and I liked how this interspersed the history with the letters. But overall it felt a little long to me. I know there were many, many letters, but when reading through this book, they became repetitive. I enjoyed most the letters from people that are known now or even those from the well known people of the day.
Great book, only reason I gave it 3 out of 5 was because it was hard to read some of these deeply personal letters filled with raw emotion. Gives a glimpse of the world's feelings and the outpouring of emotion for Mrs. Kennedy, John Jr. & Caroline.
julianne
Jan 06, 2014 julianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A snapshot of history. interesting without being overly sentimental. I have been trying to get this book for more months and it was well worth the wait.

A quick and engaging read.
Holly
Nov 27, 2013 Holly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Filled with letters from little kids, everyday working people, celebrities, politicians, and royalty. All to show kindness and love to one of the greatest men to ever live and his grieving wife.
Amy Quigley
Amy Quigley rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2011
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2013
Patty
Patty rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2015
Reba Bisciglia
Reba Bisciglia rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2015
Judie C.
Judie C. rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
Kellie Haines
Kellie Haines rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2013
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2013
Robin Crandall
Robin Crandall rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2015
Carole
Carole rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2011
Lana
Lana rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2016
Peggy
Mar 12, 2011 Peggy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A collecton of sympathy notes.
Yvonne Crawford
Yvonne Crawford rated it really liked it
May 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Men We Became: My Friendship with John F. Kennedy, Jr.
  • The Kennedy Wit: The Humor and Wisdom of John F. Kennedy
  • Jack: A Life Like No Other
  • RFK: A Candid Biography of Robert F. Kennedy
  • A Lady, First: My Life in the Kennedy White House and the American Embassies of Paris and Rome
  • Letters to Jackie: Condolences from a Grieving Nation
  • Mona Lisa in Camelot: Jacqueline Kennedy and the True Story of the Painting's High-Stakes Journey to America
  • Mrs. Paine's Garage and the Murder of John F. Kennedy
  • The Kennedys: An American Drama
  • Sons of Camelot: The Fate of an American Dynasty
  • John F. Kennedy: A Biography
  • The Other Man: A Love Story - John F. Kennedy Jr., Carolyn Bessette, and Me
  • What Jackie Taught Us: Lessons from the Remarkable Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
  • Mrs. Kennedy: The Missing History of the Kennedy Years
Paul De Angelis served more than three decades in the book publishing business as Editor, Editorial Director, or Editor-in-Chief of such publishing companies as St. Martin's Press and E.P. Dutton and Kodansha America. After becoming an independent editor in 1996 he founded Paul De Angelis Book Development, which assists authors, agents, publishers and organizations in turning ideas & manuscrip ...more
More about Jay Mulvaney...