Start by marking “Unexpected” as Want to Read:
Unexpected
Preview

Unexpected

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,982 ratings  ·  90 reviews
This was not what Eli Conners had expected. With a name like Ray Vereker, the mercenary he'd hired to rescue his irresponsible brother should have been a tank of a guy with forty tattoos and a prison record. But the gorgeous creature demonstrating her considerable karate skills - on an unfortunate bar troll who just grabbed her below the black belt - is all woman and all b ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 266 pages
Published September 1st 2003 by Brava / Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Unexpected, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unexpected

Tammie
Aug 23, 2014 Tammie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of romantic action, funny moments, strong heroines, and alpha heroes

One of my favorite Lori Foster books of all-time. Ray Vereker is just such a friggin' bad mama-jamama. She thrives on the fight; is completely in her element opening up a can of whoop ass. Eli is drawn to her immediately. He knows she hides behind her tough exterior and refuses to let her do the same with him. The sparks flying between them will singe your fingers! When the mission is over, Eli makes it clear things aren't over between them. He's the absolute best kind of alpha male. Love him! F
Laura the Highland Hussy
review posted on Got Fiction? books

3.5

I really enjoy Lori Foster's Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor and Love Undercover series, so I was super excited for a chance at one of her backlist. This one is slightly different than her others, though.

When Eli Connors needs to get his brother back after he was kidnapped for ransom in Central America, the agency he contacts that specializes in mercenaries sends him the meanest and the best soldier they’ve got. Ray Verekner.

What Eli doesn’t know is that Ra
Pamela(AllHoney)
Eli Connor's brother is kidnapped and he hires Ray Vereker to find him and rescue him. Only instead of a man, Ray is a woman and an attractive one at that. They head out to Central America to rescue the brother and things get a little hot.

This book by Lori Foster, one of my favorite Romance authors, is not a favorite. It wasn't bad but it didn't grab me like many of her books do. It had all the right elements and should have worked for me. I didn't hate it, though. It had some good scenes and qu
Anita
Girl Rambo meets Boy Executive. Ray is a female mercenary hired by Eli to rescue his brother from a band of South American guerillas. Eli is skeptical of Ray's abilities when they meet until she lays two drunks out for him. This girl has some moves. Eli is instantly attracted and so is Ray, which is a big problem for her. She starts breaking her rules: she never gets involved with a client and she always works alone. Eli makes her want him and he insists on accompanying her on the rescue.

It has
Lisa Kay
One of my favorite Lori Foster’s; a nice, quick read. Ray Vereker is a hired mercenary who makes the mistake of agreeing to take Eli Conners along with her to rescue his younger half-brother, Jeremy, a photography student, out of Central America. Not much birth control available in the jungle and this tough Rambo-ette ends up knocked up by her client; the tone of the book changes slightly then, but it’s still a fun read to see if she, her younger brother, Matt, and her dog, Precious, can mix wi ...more
Paula Legate
I really enjoyed this book. The banter between Eli, and Ray kept me laughing throughout the story. Eli needed a guide to help him navigate the jungles of Central America. His kid brother has gotten in trouble and ended up as a prisoner. It was up to Eli to rescue him. Eli contacted a agency, and asked for the meanest, mercenary that the agency had. He was shocked, when he met Ray for the first time in a smoke filled bar. Ray was a woman. She was not just any woman. With her skill set, she could ...more
Rebyj
As with most Lori Foster books the flow of the story moves along at a nice pace, I usually can pick up one of her books and read it thru. Maybe because it was an older publication (2003)I have some criticisms however I have to point out her writing has evolved over the years and gotten better of course. I'm enjoying reading about the controversy over her new book " My Man Michael" . People love or hate but they're buying and talking about it! It's on my wish list to buy eventually but since it's ...more
Charlene
This was a very light, chick-lit type book...not that there is anything wrong with that, I've just found myself wandering past those types of books. Lately I've been reading some really dark, depressing types books and I thought I would change it up a bit and throw in this light read just for fun. I'll admit that there were a few parts that I literally laughed out load but mainly I just flew right through it unentertained. Apparently I've moved on from these types of books and didn't even realiz ...more
Amber
After reading "Saving Brian" and not quite liking it, I gave Foster a second chance as most of the reviews said it did not seem like her typical work. They were wrong! "Unexpected" had the same eye roll moments, where the main character is so unrealistic, the plot predictable and humor is far and few between. Foster is good at coming up with fresh and original story lines (although unrealistic) and a definite pro at writing sexual scenes. It's your modern day Harlequin romance novel so if that i ...more
Carisa
This was a great, entertaining story. Loved the hero and his relentless but gentle way to make the heroine fall in love with him. Loved the heroine - a nice surprise- and her actions and reactions, especially her feelings about her pregnancy.
HERO is a Leader, assertive, sexy, who hires a guide/bodyguard to rescue his kidnapped brother. The bodyguard is a tough woman, tomboy, a loner, very different to any woman he's ever met and he sets out to make her see they belong together.
SCENES/CONTENT: se
Kristal McKerrington
Lori Foster creates an intense suspense story from the get go. The heat of a brothers kidnap and undeniable attraction between two rugged individuals.

Eli Conners is a man to whom could hold his own. His secret past is now in play thanks to his younger brother getting kidnapped. He had been lonely and until now Eli hadn't known. Ray opened his eyes to much more than his heart.

Ray Vereker is a woman who has a strong spirit and an a aggressive streak in her. She soon breaks all of her rules and fin
Kristal McKerrington

jenjn79
A fun, steamy story but a little on the superficial side. Some of the issues the characters had could have been explored a little better.

Good light reading, but by far not one of my favorites from Foster.
Laura DeSimone
When Eli Connors hired mercenary Ray Verrek he was not expecting a woman to walk into the bar. When Eli insists on accompanying Ray to rescue his brother from South America, she goes against her better judgement and allows him to come along. Ray tries hard to fight her attraction for Eli, but fails. Once his brother is rescued and they return home, she finds out she got a little more then she bargained for, Ray is pregnant. Will there be a happily ever after for this couple? You will need to rea ...more
Wyrdness
2.5 stars.

I thought I'd like this more because Ray was meant to be a tough mercenary. Whilst she did come across as if she could have been that character the story never really gave her the opportunity to truly shine without Eli playing the "you're my woman" card and trying to drag her out of danger. It got a bit annoying that he wouldn't just let her do the job he'd hired her to do because he found her attractive.

I was also not impressed that the set-up and rescue took 3/4ths of the novel and
May
Found at a used bookstore, the blurb on this + knowing I've liked a few of this author's books + needing some contemporary reading = win.

Unfortunately, the book was a total and utter fail. The set up takes 3/4 of the book, so what you're left with is a poorly put together boring "rescue" and then a "oh I'm pregnant. Let's deal with all my insecurities". It was bizarre to me that the cover material was what happened at end of book.

The heroine of our tale has "special skills" that nobody believe
Alexis
This was the first Lori Foster book I read, and also the oldest. I have read some of her more recent work and am glad to say her writing has greatly improved. Or maybe she got a better editor, but whatever it is, the writing in Unexpected stinks. As do the character development and plot.

Eli Conners hires Ray Vereker from some mysterious agency after his brother is kidnapped in Central America. Apparently, she's the best they've got. She's in semi-retirement, but needs a big paycheck, even thoug
Jane Stewart
Taylor Freeman

Found this book in a clearance bin for $1.68 so I bought it and figured I'd give it a shot.

I liked certain parts of the book but over all it was more action than I usually enjoy. So it was harder for me to fall in love with the characters.

I liked Eli but sometimes Ray got a bit annoying.
It seemed very fast paced even with the book being a decent length of pages.

It wasn't a bad story just wasn't my favorite.
Terry-ann Chrisie
After finishing lori foster men of honor series I needed a rebound stand on it's on novel and so I saw this n thought what the hell, why not.

Best decision ever,it did start off slowly but then again I may be biased from reading the honor series that just had me hooked from chapter 1.

Unexpected is a great story, tension spiked the characters are loveable and I love Eli..

Just read it..
Mallory
Definitely a lot lighter than some of the other Foster series I've read, but that's why I liked it. I love how serious and dark her series can be, so I was expecting something a lot deeper and was pleasantly surprised at this lighter tone. The characters were still well developed and interesting, but there was more humor and less major criminal, psycho influence! A great beach/ summer read!
Nibrock
An easy, straight forward read. Ray is very complicated, with low self-esteem when it comes to her looks and value to others. She knows that she is the best at what she does but doesn't see herself beyond that. Eli isn't about to let Ray get away with undervaluing herself. He frustrates her in that she cannot make him back off. A fun ride that ends very predictably.
Shannon
This was different from most Lori Foster's books, as it stars one bad ass heroine. Not that her other heroines aren't all awesome, but Ray is kickass! I loved that this was her story, that's she such a strong character, but has a soft vulnerable side that she doesn't want anyone to see. And I love that Eli was able to bring that out in her.
Stacey
I love this book, I love reading Lori Foster. This is the first one that I have been compelled to buy! I have mostly read them from the local library. I read this one through Amazon Unlimited and I liked it so much that I decided to go ahead and buy it to add to my collection.
This story seemed more real life to me. The rescue was not over the top and was not the main focus of the book. I liked the relationship side of this book!
Sara
The only thing this book had going for it was the kickass heroine. without Ray's take - no - prisoners attitude this book would've been a complete mess. Well, more of a mess than it already was.
It lacks lori Foster's usually action and passion. By far the worst book I've ever read by her.
Kricket
fairly standard romance. i thought it might be fun since the heroine is a bad-ass mercenary, but (surprise surprise) it turned out she just needed the right man to embrace her soft side. eh.

it also piqued my interest because of the lack of naked man chests on the cover.
Linda
Interesting book about a woman mercenary who fell in love with someone who hired her to rescue his brother. She had failed to follower her own rules and felt like she had failed but what she had done was found true love.
Donna
I had fun with this re-release of Unexpected by Lori Foster. It is filled with Ms. Fosters’ manly men and smart sassy women. It is a fast paced romantic suspense and another reason that I have Lori Foster on my auto buy list.
Dena
What a ride

We see a woman who is the protector and I admired that. Yes, Ely was a little domineering but I found that Ray needed that. I can honestly say that the characters made the story.
Lori Foster's New Winston Story Featured in New Anthology 1 7 Dec 01, 2009 09:38AM
  • The Heavenward Path (Mitsuko, #2)
  • G.A. Aiken Bundle: The Dragon Who Loved Me, What a Dragon Should Know, & Last Dragon Standing
  • Who Ran My Underwear up the Flagpole?
  • Princess of the Damned
  • Silver Flame (Braddock-Black, #2)
  • Hanatsukihime, Vol. 02
  • Wishful Thinking
  • My Fair Viking (Viking I, #6)
  • Red-Hot and Royal
  • For Hating Me You Sure Are Possessive
  • The Secret Notes of Lady Kanoko, Volume 1
  • Sugar Sugar Rune, Volume 5
  • The Class Trip (Sweet Valley Twins Super Edition, #1)
  • Marry Me, Maddie
  • Vampire Game, Volume 01
  • Of Darkness and Crowns (Goddess Wars, #2)
  • Hot Chocolate (included: Winston Brothers, #1)
  • Ghost Hunt, Vol. 1 (Ghost Hunt, #1)

Lori hosts a very special annual “Reader & Author” event in West Chester, Ohio. Proceeds fro
More about Lori Foster...
When You Dare (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #1) Savor the Danger (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #3) Trace of Fever (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #2) A Perfect Storm (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #4) Causing Havoc (SBC Fighters, #1)

“She sleeps a lot these days ” Matt explained. “And she’s emotional to boot. If I didn’t love her so much I’d probably strangle her.”

Emotional?

“Yeah.” Matt Vereker a younger, masculine version of Ray, gave an ear-to-ear grin. “Pregnant women are like that, you know.”

“Preg—” The bottom dropped out of his stomach. Eli fumbled for the chair behind him then fell into it hard. His head swam. She wasn’t seriously ill. “She’s… ”

“If you can’t even say it, how the hell do you think Ray feels.”
4 likes