The Buccaneer's Apprentice

The Buccaneer's Apprentice (The Cassaforte Chronicles #2)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  19 reviews

On his first sea voyage away from the magical city of Cassaforte, seventeen-year-old Nic Dattore awakens to find the vessel overrun by marauding pirates—and everyone else on board kidnapped or killed. After slaying the pirate who attacked him, Nic tosses a torch into a cache of gunpowder and blows up the ship.

Washed up on a deserted island, Nic and a motley crew of castawa

Published September 1st 2010 by Llewellyn Worldwide, LTD. (first published April 1st 2010)

Andrew Leavitt
I have to preface this review by saying that I'm not a huge fan of Young Adult literature, and I don't read a lot of it. I'm a fan of Harry Potter and some others, but recently I just have not been impressed by what the genre is publishing (pointed look to the teen vampire/werewolf/angel/demon/whatever romances).

But I was really impressed with Briceland's "The Buccaneer's Apprentice." The story is written and plotted well, and does not fall into the common trap of talking down to the reader. Inf...more
Darby Karchut
A fun read with lots of great swashbuckling action. Likable characters, too.
Amelia
Originally posted on The Authoress: Book Review and More.

A fascinating addition to an already well-built world. Like I’ve probably said before way back when, but this guy is worthy of a Tamora Pierce mention—SEVERAL OF THEM! First of all, who can resist pirate stories? (Except me, when I’m in one of my moods.) V. Briceland is awesome about leading people a certain way and then turning around and going, “Hahaha! I seriously had you going for a loop, didn’t I?” And even though Nic can be SUCH A DO...more
Crowinator
This fantasy adventure novel, a companion to The Glass-Maker's Daughter, takes place mostly at sea. It's got a great mix of magic, action, romance, heart, and characters you care about. Nic, a lowly servant boy, is beset by a curse that causes all of his masters to meet untimely demises; he's smart and humble, and you care about his fate right away (probably because the book starts with his ship being invaded by pirates). Did I mention this book has pirates? And a cursed ship? And a deserted isl...more
Hally
Awesome book!

The plot was interesting. And it was easy to get caught up in the story.

Darcy was annoying at first but she soon became somewhat of a comical character for me, especially the "bonking heads" part of her. I liked Maxl a lot, especially his dialogue. The troupe, I found, was just the right touch to add since it brought freshness to the story.

Nic was a true hero. Courageous, just, kind, smart.

The romance in here, I wish was a lot more. You get an inkling in the middle but it isn't til...more
Warnie B.
I liked this one even more than I did the first book in the Cassaforte series. This one is much more an adventure story than it is a fantasy like The Glass Maker's Daughter, and the characters are really engaging--I especially loved Maxl and the main character, Nic. In some ways it reminded me a bit of Kenneth Oppel's Airborn--the swashbuckling feel of it and the humor and the interactions between Nic and Darcy and the neat way things are tied up in the end. Very fun. I'll definitely be reading...more
Kricket
swashbuckling good times from briceland, who returns us to the setting of "the glass maker's daughter" (except this time we're mostly on sea!) i enjoyed the suspenseful adventure as niccolo dattore goes from lowly indentured servant to heroic ship's captain, but would have liked to see more from darcy, the feisty beautiful love interest. c'mon vance, heat it up with these two! still, highly recommended for all pirate-lovers, and this is one i would definitely pick up and read again.
Britta
The second in the series of Cassaforte Chronicles. This involves a teen boy who is born a slave in Cassaforte but finds himself to be much more than he imagined in the end. Like the first in the series there is the goofy love story, a lot of bickering between the hero and their future love. I have to say the other characters in the story were delightful, I especially fell for Maxl, a poor pirate that ends up to be a valuable ally to the hero.
Heather
So well done. I love Niccolo and his fabulous crew of unique characters, as well as the fascinating and well-built world they inhabit. Also, I love that this one features a boy instead of a girl. That seems like a very good way to keep the series real and interesting, as well as to appeal to a larger audience. Now I just need to get my hands on the 3rd book!
Michelle
I don't know what it is with this series, but it is utterly enchanting. There's pirates and fights at sea. A little romance and a curse. While some of the writing gets bogged down at times, there really is just too much to adore about this book.
Evenstar1389 Tan
It's actually 3.5
It started out very slow, until about halfway where i was ready to put it down for good. But I continued on and am glad I did, because it became much more exciting and had a great climax.
Charlotte
Great book. My favorite part of the book was Nic's encounter on Maarten's Folly/Allyria. Glass-Maker's Daughter is still my favorite book in the series so far. Looking forward to book three.
Novia Raihanah
okay, well i preferred the first one.
risa seems more open somehow..
and i did NOT expect the time gap to be so close.
the storyline is kinda.. expected.
but it is still awesome.
Jo Oehrlein
My least favorite of the books in the trilogy. Seemed only marginally related to the two others. It just wasn't as entrancing to me.
Cheryl Lindstrom
same world as the glass-maker's daughter,l but mostly different characters. i enjoyed the addition of theatre people and pirates
Catharine
I enjoyed the characters, but I liked the first book in this series better. I'm excited to read the next one.
Aerin
Still loving the Cassaforte Chronicles....
PWRL
Jul 07, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-new
A
Brittany-Lorraine
Brittany-Lorraine is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2014
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Chappathichore
Chappathichore is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Praiz Sophronia
Praiz Sophronia marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
  • Griffin Rising (Book One: Earth) (Griffin #1)
  • Blue Fire (Healing Wars, #2)
  • The Problem with Paradise
  • Time of the Eagle (Secret Sacrament, #2)
  • Zenn Scarlett (Zenn Scarlett, #1)
  • The Bird of the River
  • Exile (Aurelia, #2)
  • To Play the Lady
  • The Jewel of the Kalderash (The Kronos Chronicles, #3)
  • The Ravenmaster's Secret: Escape From The Tower Of London
  • The Shapeshifters: The Kiesha'ra of the Den of Shadows
  • Miss Fortune Cookie
  • The Waterless Sea (The Chanters of Tremaris, #2)
  • Girls Don't Fly
  • Blue Flame (Perfect Fire Trilogy, #1)
  • Read My Lips
  • Black Heart of Jamaica (Cat Royal, #5)
  • Ravencliffe
Though he has written primarily under his various pseudonyms before now, Vance Briceland is the award-winning author of several adult and young adult novels, including You Are SO Cursed, a 2005 American Library Association Quick Pick for Reluctant Young Adult Readers title.

Originally from Richmond, Virginia and a graduate of the College of William and Mary, Briceland now lives in Old Greenwich, C...more
More about V. Briceland...
The Glass Maker's Daughter (The Cassaforte Chronicles, #1) The Nascenza Conspiracy (The Cassaforte Chronicles, #3)