Start by marking “Foundations of the Christian Faith” as Want to Read:
Foundations of the Christian Faith

Foundations of the Christian Faith

In one systematic volume James Boice provides a readable overview of Christian theology. Students and pastors will both benefit from this rich source that covers all the major doctrines of Christianity. With scholarly rigor and a pastor's heart, Boice carefully opens the topics of the nature of God, the character of his natural and special revelation, the fall, and the per ...more
Published July 19th 1986 by IVP Academic (first published June 19th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Foundations of the Christian Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foundations of the Christian Faith

Jon
Apr 10, 2013 Jon rated it really liked it
This was the first Systematic Theology that I read, starting my senior year of Undergrad through my first year of my first Graduate degree. I had just come off of reading Knowing God by J.I. Packer. I think this was a clear and concise read and easily organized. He definitely takes a fairly reformed perspective (being Presbyterian). One of the weaknesses of this book is that there is not a lot of interaction with other theological backgrounds. In my opinion, if you are looking for an Evangelical ...more
Wallace
Jun 21, 2012 Wallace rated it it was amazing
The book, just like a popular type of varnish, does what it says on the tin! It describes itself as '... a comprehensive and readable theology...', and it is! Montgomery Boice's style is eminently readable and understandable, and his many references and illustration are excellent. This volume should be owned and read by everyone who calls themselves a disciple of Jesus Christ ... without exception!

My only slight critical comment, is that I would have liked a little more theology on the second co
Daniel Thomas
Sep 16, 2015 Daniel Thomas rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology, 2015
Foundations of the Christian Faith is good as a broad evangelical systematic theology, with emphasis on a Reformed view of God's sovereignty throughout. In this work Boice doesn't really take sides on certain controversial issues, such as paedobaptism v. credo-baptism, or on pre-, post-, or amillennial views of eschatology (although, some of Boice's amil leanings creeps in here and there). Overall, I think this was a very good work, particularly for new believers to gain a firm footing in the Ch ...more
Maki
Aug 27, 2007 Maki rated it it was amazing
I read this book in college. It is meant to be a reference, but I read it cover to cover. It is a dense read and reads more like a textbook than anything else. But it gave me answers to theological questions I had, such as how were people in the Old Testament saved? What does it mean that Jesus was fully man and fully God? It provided the beginning of the foundation of my theological knowledge about Christianity.
G Walker
Nov 19, 2012 G Walker rated it it was ok
This would be a good reference for a highschooler or a first year college course on theology. Very basic in writing style. I take issue with some of his theological conclusions, but overall a good snap shot of contemporary/popular reformed theology in America. Very pastoral and devotional in style. Boice is a good communicator.
Christopher
Jul 01, 2012 Christopher rated it really liked it
If you like dealing with the arguments of "why" about the Bible then this is a great book!
Mark Lacanienta
May 11, 2012 Mark Lacanienta rated it it was amazing
A readable theology.
Danielle
Oct 11, 2008 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Reading this book did more to help me understand my faith and reformed doctrine. It may not be a best-seller, but for someone who grew up in a church of little teaching, this is a treasure.
Jimmy Fisher
An excellent book, Boice takes extremely difficult theological topics and makes them understandable and practical. Very helpful.
Sean McGowan
Oct 17, 2012 Sean McGowan rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Have read portions of this Systematic Theology. It is excellent.
Jay Volk
Jay Volk rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2013
Mark Hughes
Mark Hughes rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2013
Kelley
Kelley rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2013
Delali
Delali rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Rick Muchewicz
Rick Muchewicz rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2015
Johan Setiawan
Johan Setiawan rated it really liked it
May 05, 2012
Sean Adams
Sean Adams rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Leif
Leif rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2014
Newkingjim
Newkingjim rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2012
Latoya Witherspoon
Latoya Witherspoon rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Nick Park
Nick Park rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2011
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2007
Joseph Mcguire
Joseph Mcguire rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2012
Tjermin
Tjermin rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Russ
Russ rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2012
Samuel Geleynse
Samuel Geleynse rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2017
Joe
Joe rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2013
Jeremy Childs
Jeremy Childs rated it really liked it
May 09, 2014
Tyson
Tyson rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • No Place for Truth: or Whatever Happened to Evangelical Theology?
  • No Other God: A Response to Open Theism
  • Redemption Accomplished and Applied
  • Concise Theology
  • Putting Amazing Back into Grace: Embracing the Heart of the Gospel
  • On Being Presbyterian: Our Beliefs, Practices, and Stories
  • Communion with God (Puritan Paperbacks)
  • The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, and Documented
  • Dictionary of Biblical Imagery
  • The Christ of the Covenants
  • The Life of God in the Soul of Man
  • The Christian Life: A Doctrinal Introduction
  • Counted Righteous in Christ: Should We Abandon the Imputation of Christ's Righteousness?
Boice received a diploma from The Stony Brook School (1956), an A.B. from Harvard University (1960), a B.D. from Princeton Theological Seminary (1963), a Th.D from the University of Basel in Switzerland (1966), and a D.D., (honorary) from the Theological Seminary of the Reformed Episcopal Church (1982).
More about James Montgomery Boice...