Start by marking “Against the Wind (Zion Diaries, #2)” as Want to Read:
Against the Wind (Zion Diaries, #2)

Against the Wind (Zion Diaries #2)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  279 ratings  ·  35 reviews
As Nazi forces tighten their net of evil over Europe in 1940, famed Jewish concert violist Elisa Lindheim Murphy escapes from Vienna to England. But both Elisa and her American newsman husband, John Murphy, are convinced that nowhere in Europe is safe from Hitlers seemingly unstoppable forces. As Nazi U-boats patrol and sink Allied vessels in the North Atlantic, Elisa make ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Summerside Press (first published February 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Against the Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Against the Wind

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversAn Echo in the Darkness by Francine RiversAs Sure as the Dawn by Francine RiversThe Silent Governess by Julie Klassen
Best Christian Historical Fiction
465th out of 881 books — 1,001 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankNight by Elie WieselThe Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John BoyneNumber the Stars by Lois Lowry
Well Written Holocaust Books
455th out of 529 books — 2,259 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristin
I was very disappointed with The Gathering Storm which is the first book in this series, so much so that I almost decided not to bother with this one. However, I'm glad I gave the Thoenes another chance because I was totally engrossed with Against The Wind! I have read nearly everything they've written and this book ranks right up there with some of their best work.
The back and forth chronology can be a little confusing at times but also added a lot of suspense to the book. Also, I should say t
Jerry
Feb 18, 2014 Jerry rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Thoene fans
Synopsis: During World War II, Elisa Murphy and a group of children evacuate London on a lifeboat during German air raids. The sea holds many dangers, and Elisa's heart yearns for her American husband, as well as her children who were sent to the US for safety. When things start looking bleak, will she give up all hope, or remain faithful until the end?

My Review: I usually prefer to read book series in the proper order, but, I did not know this was the second in a series until I finished it. Sti
Vicki Jones
This has got to be one of my favorite Thoene books. Two diaries in one and impossible to put “Against the Wind down until I got to the last page. It was heartbreaking and tough to read at parts. But through the Thoene story, I felt the pain experienced by parents in 1940’s London. I suffered with them as they struggled to make some really tough decisions regarding how to best keep their children safe. And I felt the anguish and despair as I was reunited with Elisa and lived through her experienc ...more
Karen
The continuing story of German born Elisa Murphy and her husband John picks up where the Zion Covenant series left off. The Nazis continue bombing England more feverishly, and when Elisa's aunt Helen and her cousin's baby Alfie are killed in their home, the need to act becomes more personal. After they see their own three children safely sent to America with John's parents, Elisa engages in an orphan rescue program herself, that is quickly thwarted by the enemy. I was on the edge of my seat unti ...more
Oct 01, 2014 Karen marked it as never-finished
First things first: I'm not sure who that is on the cover but it is not Elisa Lindheim Murphy. I'm not sure what has happened to one of my favorite authors.

The team of Bodie & Brock Thoene used to be good for reliably engrossing Christian historical fiction. Some time in the past few years they have gone off the rails: there are errors galore, the characterizations are flat (even of previously beloved characters), and they can't even keep their own characters straight. Fail. I ended up skim
Lori Twichell
For fans of Thoenes’ beloved Zion series, the names Elisa and Murphy are not only well known, but well loved. Having met them first in Vienna Prelude, we were able to follow their journey through romance, love and danger. The Thoenes have revisited these much cherished characters and wrapped their stories around new characters that we met in their most recent outing, The Gathering Storm. It’s hard for the Thoenes to go wrong when they bring us new adventures in this time period and setting.
Thoug
Eric Wright
A very enjoyable read and historically enlightening. Deserves 4 1/2 of 5. During the terrible rise of Nazisim in 1937 gifted Jewish violinist Elisa is helped by American journalist John Murphy to escape first Germany and then Austria to England. They fall in love, marry and have children as Europe explodes in the violence leading up to World War II. When the Nazi blitz of London makes life almost intolerable, they send their children to Murphy’s parents in America. Finally, they lose their home ...more
Michelle
I would probably rate this about 3.5 stars.

My thoughts on Against the Wind are so jumbled right now. I loved the Zion Covenant series, it has a permanent place on my keeper shelves. Elisa and Murphy are two of my all time favorite characters, and one of my favorite couples.

I loved the first third or so of Against the Wind. There were moments that made me gasp, and it was wonderful to reacquaint myself with Elisa and Murphy. However once I was at the point where Elisa boarded the ship for Ameri
Alyson Reuben
I just started reading this book, so this isn't a formal review. I just thought I'd explain that I don't often read Christian-based books, not because of the Christian message (in this case Messianic-Jewish), but because I don't usually find them compelling enough. However, I make a strong exception to Brock and Bodie Thoene's books. As a married writing team, they've written for some well-known screen actors, like the legendary John Wayne. So their writing is absolutely top notch, IMO.

I didn't
Linda
After the Zion Chronicles and the Covenant stories, this one gave us a new look at some old friends. It was interesting how the diaries gave us more background into the horrors of Hitler's Reich of Terror. Even the children were not spared. While the writing and story were wonderful, it was still difficult to read as Hitler's armed forces relentlessly moved across Europe. For WWII fans - read it! Thank you, Brock and Bodie Thoene.
Connie
I would say that this is excellent in the category of historical fiction. However, I am giving this book the very lowest score because it depicts Muslims as evil and determined to harm Christians.

I believe that this book helps to encourage HATE and prejudice in our society. (Yes, there are Muslim terrorists, but there are millions of Muslims who are peace-loving toward all people.)
Pamela Hubbard
In this book, Brock and Bodie Theone bring back Elisa Murphy, the beloved character from the Zion Covenant series. This book describes what happens on Elisa's journey after she moves to London with her husband and children. The book starts with the London blitz but focuses on the plight of children during the war. Elisa and John send their children to America for safety, and then Elisa follows not long after with a boatload of refugee children also seeking safety. During the trip across the Atla ...more
Sarah Sundin
The Thoenes are famous for their historically accurate fiction, and Against the Wind does not disappoint. All the period details are just right, the reader feels the plight of the British in the Blitz, and the sea adventure is harrowing and gripping. I enjoyed the characters, and the Thoenes do a great job sketching children who are charming but never cloying.

However, the diary format of the story left me feeling strangely detached, and a twist on the last page - while a joyful relief - was left
Nonie
The story of a jewish violinist who escaped first from Berlin then from Austria and finally accompanied a group of jewish children on a ship to America. It's Christian Historical fiction. While the main characters are fictitious, the historical events are real.
T
There was one factor about the book which I did not like. Chapters bounced back and forth between recent events to former events in the character's lives. I did not see the end coming at all.
Against the Wind picks up the story of Elisa Lindheim Murphy as recorded by her while afloat on the Atlantic.
The tale reveals another aspect of the fight for survival against the Third Reich. We see parents having to choose whether to risk sending their children across the ocean to America during the London Blitz or keep them close and risk losing them to the bombing.
I enjoyed spending more time with Elisa and experiencing this portion of her life with her.
Though I didn't find it as gripping as
Anne Williamson
This is my least favorite series that the Thoene's have written.
Barbara
This second volume of the Zion diaries is very different from many of the others written by the Thoene's, but very enjoyable. Much of the action happens in the middle of the ocean. You get a true sense of what it might have been like to live through the very beginning of WW II and flee Nazi occupation. I am really enjoying reading what happened between the Zion Covenant and Zion Chrionicles series in the lives of the characters I have grown to love. I am so glad this series is being written, and ...more
Denise
My rating is really a 3.5 as I enjoyed the story and love Bodie Thoene. The only reason my rating isn't higher is because this book jumps back and forth between diary entries and what the main character is experiencing. I found it a little difficult to keep everything straight. However, the historical detail of World War II events were "spot on" as will all Thoene books. I loved getting to read the continuation of characters from past Thoene books.

I will read more from this series and any other
Linda
Story of a Jewish violinist escape, with many children in her charge, to an American bound vessel. The vessel is hit by a torpedo, but she is safely launched to a life-raft, where the majority of the story is endlessly told from - it seems 2/3s of the book, which is much too much time; it gets boring! Evidently, finally, the raft is rescued and the rafters are brought back to land, to a surprising ending.
Piper
I can't believe I'm saying this, because I'm such a huge fan of the Thoenes, but I found myself skimming this book. After waiting so long to hear more about the story of Elisa and John Murphy, I feel let down. It's not a terrible book. It would be fine all on its own. It's just not as good as the original series.
Amanda
Really good book, it was hard to put down. What didn't like is how it ended. I don't like when an author "tortures" a character for "months" and then in the end everything is all right and the "torture" was all for naught. Especially when it ends with nothing more than a "hi." Great book though, despite the ending.
Joanna
Sep 24, 2011 Joanna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christian historical fiction lovers, WWII fiction readers
I listened to this book after I found it on the library's "new" shelf. Man, what a story! At times, if I was not in the right mood, it would be very depressing. But, if you are a reader of the Elisa Murphy books you know that she survives-but how is her boatload rescued?
Carol
The Zion Covenant & the Zion Chronicles were some of the first Christian fiction series that I read...many years ago. It was so much fun to read an update after all of these years. I was surprised at how much I remembered & what came back to me after so many years.
Amee
A wonderful book which revisits the characters of past Zion Covenant books. I read through this book at lightning speed. As usual the Thoenes capture the reader's attention and suck them into a different historical period.
Diena Riding
Better than The Gathering Storm not as good as the original series. I did enjoy getting to know Elisa and Murphy again. I had a hard time with one or two tiny things (the last 2 pages) but other than that I really enjoyed it.
Molly
Jul 01, 2011 Molly added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Fiction, World War 2 era
I love this author!! I read the series about Elisa and Murphy as a young teenager and then again and again and again. I absolutely love that they are going back into the lives of some of my favorite characters.....
Beth
The 2nd book in the Zion Diaries series--I actually read it first. It was better than the first, but some of the flashbacks to scenes from earlier books didn't quite match what I remembered happening.
Karen
Another page-turning story from the Thoenes, but the ending wasn't explained as well as I'd hoped.
  • Cannons of the Comstock (Saga of the Sierras #5)
  • Nightingale
  • A Memory Between Us (Wings of Glory, #2)
  • Land of the Brave and the Free (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #7)
  • Love Finds You in Tombstone, Arizona
  • Songbird Under a German Moon
  • Crimson Cipher
  • Love Finds You in Camelot Tennessee
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • Holly's Heart, Collection 3: Freshman Frenzy/Mystery Letters/Eight is Enough/It's a Girl Thing (Holly's Heart, #11-14)
  • A Soldier's Secret: The Incredible True Story of Sarah Edmonds, Civil War Hero
  • Two Suns in the Sky
  • Love Finds You in Hope, Kansas
  • Toward the Sunrise (Daughters of Fortune #3)
BODIE AND BROCK THOENE (pronounced Tay-nee) have written over 45 works of historical fiction. These best sellers have sold more than 10 million copies and won eight ECPA Gold Medallion Awards.

Bodie began her writing career as a teen journalist for her local newspaper. Eventually her byline appeared in prestigious periodicals such as U.S. News and World Report, The American West, and The Saturday E
More about Bodie Thoene...

Zion Diaries (3 books)
  • The Gathering Storm (Zion Diaries, #1)
  • Their Finest Hour (Zion Diaries, #3)
Vienna Prelude (Zion Covenant, #1) Munich Signature (Zion Covenant, #3) Prague Counterpoint (Zion Covenant, #2) Jerusalem Interlude (Zion Covenant, #4) Danzig Passage (Zion Covenant, #5)

“A woman is like tea. She will never know how strong she is until she is in hot water.” 3 likes