Start by marking “Mortals & Deities (Genesis of Oblivion, #2)” as Want to Read:
Mortals & Deities (Genesis of Oblivion, #2)

Mortals & Deities (Genesis of Oblivion #2)

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Thrust into an Essence Node by what he thought were his benevolent teachers, Alant Cor has transcended the bonds of reality to become the first Mah'Sukai to walk the Plane of Talic'Nauth in thousands of years. Now, he must not only learn to deal with his new powers before they overwhelm and destroy him, he must also escape the wrath of those who hunt him.

Alant's brother, A
Paperback, Trade Paperback, 371 pages
Published October 30th 2010 by Imagined Interprises, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Mortals & Deities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mortals & Deities

Ranting Dragon

This review contains spoilers for the previous book in this series.

Mortals and Deities is the second book in the Genesis of Oblivion Saga by Maxwell Alexander Drake, and is the sequel to Farmers and Mercenaries, which was reviewed here. The sequel starts off right where Farmers and Mercenaries left us.

A multitude of viewpoints
Julie
In this self-published author’s second book of a trilogy, the characters and events of the first book (Farmers & Merchants) move forward in unexpected and interesting ways. The main characters, which in a typical fantasy novel would join together to form a fellowship (all bow to Tolkien), instead remain separated for about the first half of the book. The lion-man, who has a complex backstory involving separation from the rest of his people and slavery, in this book gets his own story arc in ...more
Daniel Cann
The second book in the Genesis of Oblivion Saga picks off where we last found the two brothers Alant and Arderi Cor and the kith (lion man) Klain. The two brothers must come to terms with their new found powers and abilities, particularly Alant who has gained perhaps too much power for one person to have.

Arderi is schooled by his mentor Larith Rine of the mysterious Tat’Sujen Order. Klain who enjoys a charming relationship with the young boy Charver Vimith is soon set on a dangerous path as he a
James
This review contains spoilers for the previous book in this series.

A multitude of viewpoints
Alant Cor finds himself near his old home with no clue of how he got there. His eyes glow red, and he doesn’t know what being thrust into the Essence Node by the Elmorians
Paul
I won this book through a Firstreads giveaway at Goodreads.

I read a lot of fantasy and Mr. Drake definitely has talent. He creates an interesting, deep world with a great magic system. I especially liked the characters of Elith and Arderi and I am looking forward to reading more of their adventures.

A couple of things hold this book back from being a standout in the genre. The book falls prey to several things that particularly annoy me about fantasy literature. I dislike when authors feel the
Seth
An absolutely amazing read. It picks up right where Farmers and Mercenaries left off. With the characters introduced in the first book, the second jumps right into the action. The characters remain vibrant and contiue to grow. There are a number of action scenes that draw you in, wanting more. A new character is added, and two from the first book now get chapters denoted to them.
J.T. Hartke
So Drake brought much more in this one. The story broadens, and several big secrets are revealed, while even bigger are introduced. Once the quest group gathered, the action spins you away. The ending is a must read.
Lisa
I am enjoying this story immensely and am looking forward to the release of book #3; hopefully soon! I loved this book!
Mitch goodwin
Had to have this one liked the first one so much. this one was as good as the first. Can't wait for the next.
Brian
Not sure about the way this one ended, but it was still a fun read and kept my attention.
Jenae Rencher
Nov 15, 2010 Jenae Rencher is currently reading it
I just won this book off of first reads and am excited to get a hold of it.
Daniel Hildreth
I really liked this book. Maxwell made the characters come to life. Loved it!
Bryan Doran
The story continues and gets better and better. Can't wait to read the third.
Stephanie Cress
Even better than the first one! I couldn't put it down.
shinfu
Nov 11, 2010 shinfu marked it as to-read
This looks like it will be a great book to read.
Landy
Nov 12, 2010 Landy marked it as to-read
I would like to read/review this book.
Jake
Amazing. A must read.
alex Maxwell
alex Maxwell marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Oneeyed
Oneeyed marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
K.F. Silver
K.F. Silver marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Sharon Skinner
Sharon Skinner marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
  • Z 2 A
  • Island of Icarus
  • The Time Cavern
  • The Door to Canellin (Gatehouse #1)
  • Hundreds of Years to Reform a Rake
  • The Well At The World's End: Volume I
  • Giants of the Frost
  • Spellbound (Spellwright, #2)
  • Progeny (The Children of the White Lions, #1)
  • Emerald (World of Samar, #1)
  • The Test (NEBADOR, #1)
  • Velvet Ball and the Broken Fairy
  • Eye of Scota: Cináed
  • The Shield That Fell from Heaven
  • The Learning Curve
  • The Longed Tales: The Chained King and the Castle of Mystery
  • Dragon Mound (Knight in Shadow, #1)
  • The Morrow Stone (Chronicles of Aesirium, #2)
Book three of the Genesis of Oblivion Saga is scheduled for release in summer of 2012. You can get the first two volumes as well as an award-winning short story to this saga at http://www.shop.imaginedinterprises.com. Enjoy!
More about Maxwell Alexander Drake...

Genesis of Oblivion (3 books)
  • Farmers & Mercenaries (Genesis of Oblivion, #1)
  • Dreams & Nightmares (Genesis of Oblivion #3)
Farmers & Mercenaries (Genesis of Oblivion, #1) The Way of the Lion - A Genesis of Oblivion Saga Short The Last Stand of the Teir'Dal: An Everquest Next Novella Prison of Fire: An Everquest Next Short Story The Enemy of my Enemy (Part Two): An Everquest Next Short Story