Start by marking “Why Meditate” as Want to Read:
Why Meditate

Why Meditate

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  366 ratings  ·  37 reviews

Why meditate? On what? And how? In his latest book Why Meditate?an instant bestseller in the author’s native France—Matthieu Ricard aims to answer these very questions.

As a molecular geneticist turned Buddhist monk, Ricard brings a wholly unique perspective to the practice of meditation. Often referred to as “the happiest man in the world,” he advises us in the ways to

Published September 1st 2010 by Hay House, Inc. (first published October 2nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Why Meditate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Meditate

Nuno Miranda Ribeiro
Presented in a generous and helpful way. It is a very good way to realize the potential for transformation that resides within. Matthieu Ricard took his experience and focus on sharing what he knows and created a book that is a very clear and insightful starting guide. The way he constructed this guide made it, from the start, a good structure and meditation inspiration, with thoughts and teachings from the great masters. This can become the guide for the first weeks of getting into mindfullness ...more
Sasha
This is a book I will read again and again. Matthieu Ricard is a Buddhist monk and his guide to meditation is very practical and written with a secular reader in mind. Ricard is also involved in the Mind and Life Institute, (http://www.mindandlife.org/) dedicated to the collaboration between Buddhism and modern science. Universities such as Princeton, Harvard and Berkeley are conducting intensive studies on meditation and its long-and short-term effects on the brain (page 21) and Ricard himself ...more
Armando Espinoza
I sought help when my depression was getting too much to bear and nothing else seemed to be working. After some research, I stumbled upon meditation again, and I say that since I used to "meditate" during Tae-Kwon-Do classes when I was a kid. I figured it'd at least get me back in touch with it, as I do remember it helping.

I was amazed by the sheer amount of instruction this book contains. Matthieu Ricard makes a complete effort that addresses basically any question a beginner may have with what
Yogadog Wendy
Mattieu Ricard is always a favorite. This is one of his shorter works, and is an excellent reference for those wanting to start a meditation practice. Each chapter provides a different meditation technique and focus, and I've easily underlined at least half the book with passages I'd like to contemplate further. Beautiful and simple.
Ruxandra Fediuc
Quite basic. Lots of words and metaphors but the book doesn't feel convincing. I would've expected something else. I guess I prefer other approaches in explaining the usefulness of such practices.
Souvenances
Excellent et hyper accessible. Inspirant et tout à fait à point pour un apprentissage autodidacte ou pour un besoin de mise à jour dans le sujet.
Prêté à Benoit juin 2009
L
Beautifully written. Simple and practical but with sound reasoning. Love the inspirational quotes.
Jeanne
Great book for a beginner in meditation. I love him and it comes with a free CD
Viet Hung Nguyen
Tôi lại may mắn khi đọc được cuốn sách này về Thiền tập, sau một thời gian đọc không ít sách về đề tài này. Rất nhiều highlight, rất nhiều notes, và chia sẻ. Tôi đề cử cuốn này đến tất cả các bạn đang thực tập hành thiền và tự tìm hiểu về đề tài này. Cuốn sách khái quát được rất nhiều tinh tuý từ một số truyền thừa Phật giáo về thiền tập.
"Tự do có nghĩa là làm chủ được chính mình. Điều đó không phải là làm tất cả những gì ta hứng lên muốn làm, mà là thoát được ra khỏi sự trói buộc của những điều
dario
El libro confirma varias sospechas:
- necesitás un maestro, un instructor, un "alguien" que te dé los primeros empujoncitos;
- con la cantidad de páginas que hay que leer, pensé, tan esotérico es... meditar?
- altas posibilidades de que existiera material (vulgo: páginas) de relleno;
- el autor tiene la capacidad de simplificar (un atributo que escasea en occidente, o por estos sures) complejas ideas y presentarlas en tranquilos párrafos en estilo cartesiano;
- y no sé si es una virtud, pero Matthie
Viviana
I`ve found this book very interesting. Simple to read it gives a clear view of what meditation is and how to approach it if you're a beginner, like me! It offers a good range of exercises and practical meditations as well as it offers several inspirational thoughts. Illuminating!
Kimberly Hughes
This is the first book that I've read on meditation and so I have no other of these types of books to compare it to. That being said, it seems very short and fairly thorough in a pamphlet sort of way. The included CD follows the book chapter by chapter. This book is a basic introduction to Tibetan meditation and its overarching emphasis of compassion and altruism. The practices and the meditation topics he gives are based on that, such as focusing on the Buddha image and how to properly think of ...more
Tilly.brodeuse
A lire et relire, une fois d'un coup pour le texte si poétique, et après par petits coups pour tirer la réflexion encore plus et méditer :)
Dana D.
Not only why meditate, but how: Ricard explains both clearly and in surprising detail for such a short book. I'm no expert, but I had previously read a fair amount on meditation and done some practice; now I suspect this might be the only book I ever needed on the subject!

The content is deeply rooted in Buddhist tradition, but Ricard pointedly addresses a non-Buddhist audience here, eschews digression into the history or other teachings of Buddhism, and keeps crystalline focus on meditation as a
Laura Delaney
Wonderful reference for anyone who is interested in meditation. The book focuses on the "how" as much as the "why" of mediation. I've been picking away at this book for a while and is has informed my own practice in concrete, useful ways. I appreciate Ricard's straightforward, easy-to-understand writing style. He's not a poet himself (he quotes the more poetic masters frequently) but I found his clear and simple explanations very satisfying. I'll return to this book. Highly recommended.
Deborah
Explanation of why some people meditate. Instead of reading the book, just meditate or go to a yoga class.
Mary-lou
I chose this book because it was new at the library and in hindsight I don't know why I decided to take it. There is nothing new about meditation. YOU JUST HAVE TO DO IT! If people stayed with the first teaching or book they read on meditation and began to practice we wouldn't have millions of books saying the same thing. Meditation is an art it is hard work but start and it gets easier...
Lisa Orki
La méditation bouddhiste expliquée par Matthieu Ricard, porte-parole du Dalaï-Lama. Une explication de la méditation par un scientifique à destination de nos cerveaux occidentaux. J'aime la construction du livre : une explication, une référence à des maîtres spirituels, une méditation à mettre en pratique. Définitivement un livre à avoir dans sa bibliothèque!
Alina Lazarescu
This is good book for a beginner meditator. An experienced one would find nothing new. There was one meditation proposed by the author that gave me goose bumps: breath in all suffering and poverty of others and breath out your happiness and good fortune. It's scary! But deep!
Mohamed Al Sayyah
This is the best book i have ever read. If a book can change someone's life, this book have done this to me ..
Nava
can't say I read all of it, as the second half is full of meditation techniques to be practised. that said, it is a reference I plan to get back to.:-)
Edmundo
I read it but with a certain lack of attention. Defenitly a very good book, very clear and simple. I will have to read it again with more concentration.
Greta
A simple and elegant book outlining the methods and importance of meditation both for ourselves and as it applies to the greater good.
Sue
This is a good book for general guidance into meditation. I found it pretty helpful in order to get started.
Florenceg
Très bon livre pour comprendre comment méditer et prendre du recul. Reste à pratiquer assidûment.
Promise Ceasar
Good book, great information but something I will have to re-read to truly get it.
Shalom
very easy read and a bonus cd I have shared with beginners who found it very helpful
Jean Corbel
Good, accessible book.
Now I will re-read applying proposed techniques.
Jacqueline Gaynor
Enjoyed this easy read and easy to follow explainations of the how to's
Tremblay
Discovering the humanity of this man. very good to learn meditation
  • The Monk and the Philosopher: A Father and Son Discuss the Meaning of Life
  • Happy for No Reason: 7 Steps to Being Happy from the Inside Out
  • Thanks!: How the New Science of Gratitude Can Make You Happier
  • Mind Whispering: A New Map to Freedom from Self-Defeating Emotional Habits
  • Buonanotte, signor Lenin
  • The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion: Freeing Yourself from Destructive Thoughts and Emotions
  • Magic and Mystery in Tibet
  • For a Future to Be Possible: Buddhist Ethics for Everyday Life
Born in 1946, Matthieu Ricard is a Buddhist monk, an author, translator and photographer. He has lived, studied and worked in the Himalayan region for over forty years.

The son of French philosopher Jean-François Revel and artist Yahne Le Toumelin, Matthieu grew up among the personalities and ideas of Paris’ intellectual and artistic circles. He earned a Ph.D degree in cell genetics at the renowned
More about Matthieu Ricard...
Happiness: A Guide to Developing Life's Most Important Skill The Quantum and the Lotus: A Journey to the Frontiers Where Science and Buddhism Meet On the Path to Enlightenment: Heart Advice from the Great Tibetan Masters Plaidoyer pour l'altruisme: La force de la bienveillance Tibet: An Inner Journey

“Some people might think that the smartest way to guarantee their own well-being is to isolate themselves from others and to work hard at their own happiness, without consideration for what other people are experiencing. They probably assume that if everybody did that, we’d all be happy. But the result would be exactly the opposite: instead of being happy, they would be torn between hope and fear, make their own lives miserable, and ruin the lives of the people around them too.” 2 likes
“Demanding immediate results is an aspect of unsteadiness of mind or laziness.” 0 likes