Smothered in Hugs: Essays, Interviews, Feedback, and Obituaries

Smothered in Hugs: Essays, Interviews, Feedback, and Obituaries

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  8 reviews

“In another country or another era, Dennis Cooper’s books would be circulated in secret, explosive samizdat editions that friends and fans would pass around and savor like forbidden absinthe.” —New York Times Book Review

“His work belongs to that of Poe, the Marquis de Sade, Charles Baudelaire, and Georges Bataille, other writers who argued with mortality.” — San Francisco

Published (first published June 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Smothered in Hugs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smothered in Hugs

Tosh
Of my generation (don't ask my age) Dennis Cooper is one of the more important writers that's out there. His fiction i think is going to be tattooed on the literary map for a long time. What is not that much known is his non-fiction writing, especially his critical writing on the visual arts as well as literature. And what we have here (to be released in the Summer, 2010) is a collection of his non-fiction work for various publications.

It is not like one agrees with Dennis Cooper, but knowing wh...more
Ryan
I love the idea of Dennis Cooper's fiction, though I haven't ever liked the end result, at least of the ones I've read. His non-fiction, however, I find fantastic. Provocative, astute, mostly unpretentious, and he writes about lots of things I'm interested in. I think a sure sign of a great critic is that he or she makes you want to go investigate whatever it is they're writing about, even the bad stuff. Cooper can make almost anything sound interesting, even if it's only because it's so non-int...more
Andrew
Dennis Cooper is a very good essayist, interviewer and journalist. Just a few of the pieces in this anthology that I think are stand-outs include his interviews with John Waters, Keanu Reeves and the late Brad Renfro. His perspectives on pop culture are engaging and incisive.
Loved this book. So much awesome stuff in it. Interviews with courtney love, bob mould, John waters, mike Kelley, brad renfro and a ton of other people. He just has amazing taste. And is so smart.
Alexandra
If yr short on time dig up "Phoner: The Sonic Youth Liner Notes". It is a literary treasure.
Blog on Books

Dennis Cooper is many things – poet, essayist, critic and novelist – but through it all, he is insightful, cutting, personal and dark. As a critic for various magazines and alternative weekies, his work often mines the outer edges of popular culture, which is exactly what is collected in this new compilation from Harper Perennial, “Smothered In Hugs: Essays, Interviews, Feedback and Obituaries.”

In it, Cooper tackles such luminaries as Courtney Love, John Waters, Quentin Tarantino and others who...more
Erica
Smothered in Hugs is a collection of Dennis Cooper's interviews, reviews, and cultural criticism. If you're a fan of his, it's essential. If you've never heard of him before, you'd still probably enjoy the interviews with people like Stephen Malkmus, John Waters, Clive Barker, Leonardo DiCaprio, etc. I admit to glazed-over eyes during some of the art criticism if it was about someone I had never heard of, but the interviews nicely made up for it.
Lisa
I really wanted to love this book. It is really well written and some of the essays are fantastic. I think the main problem, which would make my giving of 3 stars unfair, is that I am too young to remember half the things he writes about.
Doug O'Connor
Doug O'Connor marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Landon Whittaker
Landon Whittaker marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Kayiane
Kayiane marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Amanda Tait
Amanda Tait marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Denise Elliot S.
Denise Elliot S. marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
Apr 03, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Justyna Burek
Justyna Burek marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Ellie Wright
Ellie Wright marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Ismael Schonhorst
Ismael Schonhorst marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Jessica Pitingolo
Jessica Pitingolo marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Julianne Dunn
Julianne Dunn marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Dennis Cooper was born on January 10, 1953 and grew up in the Southern California cities of Covina and Arcadia. In 1976, he founded Little Caesar Magazine and Press, which he ran until 1982. In 1985, he moved to Amsterdam for two and a half years, where he began his ten year long project, The George Miles Cycle, an interconnected sequence of five novels that includes Closer, Frisk, Try, Guide, and...more
More about Dennis Cooper...
Frisk The Sluts Closer Try Guide