Start by marking “Coming Up from the Down Low: The Journey to Acceptance, Healing, and Honest Love” as Want to Read:

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The dramatic follow-up to the controversial bestseller that has all of America talking…

In his first book, On the Down Low, J. L. King introduced readers to the deceptive underground world of the “down low” (DL), the subculture of men leading straight lives while secretly sleeping with other men. In that first book, King’s own life was exhibit A—he lived for years as a DL m
Published December 18th 2007 by Three Rivers Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Coming Up from the Down Low, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coming Up from the Down Low

Robert Dunbar
Dear God.

Just when you thought it was safe to dust the bookcase…

What in the world is this doing on the shelf?

It must have been lurking here among the other books for years and years, which means it’s been packed and moved more than once. I guess somebody sent a copy, most likely some editor who wanted a review. Probably I’d been complaining (not that I ever complain) about how no one ever assigned me anything but gay vampire novels. That’ll teach me to keep my mouth shut.

So what’s this thing ab
This back is a recap of what happened after "On the Down Low", his first book about his sexual relations with men. He speaks openly about this experience, publicity, his feelings after Oprah's show, and even being on the cover of Jet magazine--then Tom Joyner Morning Show clowned him after seeing the photo. He again clarifies Black America views on "gays", labeling in the church, and now he also admits to being bi-sexual not "straight man sleeping with men" in which did not sound right to most o ...more
Deni Aria
This book for me is a key word for what is sickly happening to this world, The honesty is always the prime and precious word that is long way we want to have and act on it. This honesty on this so telling book shown how being able to honest with our ownselves or our own identities could and would minimize the sickness in life on this judgemental world.
The writing style of this book was unappealing. He writes like he talks way too much. It read like a diary. I thought it would've dug deeper in the subject than it did.
Tatiana Alexander
Sep 30, 2007 Tatiana Alexander rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This one teaches you that people need to forgive for themselves not for the poeple that wronged them.
Lydia added it
Apr 28, 2015
Anntoinette Womack
Anntoinette Womack marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Shana Carroll
Shana Carroll marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
TSM-L marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Evelyn Ommi
Evelyn Ommi marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Sonia Lowery
Sonia Lowery marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Chantal Aucoin
Chantal Aucoin marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Jessica Brooks
Jessica Brooks marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Ready Gyrl
Ready Gyrl marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Rasmus-gold Pringle
Rasmus-gold Pringle marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Marisa added it
Jun 07, 2014
Ayanna Hobbs-johnson
Ayanna Hobbs-johnson marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Tatanya Dale
Tatanya Dale marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2013
Brenda marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
On the Down Low: A Journey into the Lives of 'Straight' Black Men Who Sleep with Men Love on a Two-Way Street Seven Figures CP Time: Why Some People Are Always Late Dear JL... Real Stories from Real people: Relationships, Sexuality, HIV, Youth and Religion, Volume 1