Start by marking “Top Ten” as Want to Read:
Top Ten

Top Ten

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  34 reviews
A killer who believes himself an artist of unmatched talent is incensed when he is placed last on the FBI's most wanted list, and begins killing off those fugitives above him, each in a twisted manner that serves his creative vision.

But his horrific climb to the top, which leaves both guilty and innocent dead in its wake, must be stopped by a young, driven FBI agent who is
Published October 14th 2010 by Schmuck & Underwood (first published October 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Top Ten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Top Ten

Randy
He considered himself an artist. Known only as Michaelangelo, he butchered his victims and rearranged the parts into his "art." He becomes enraged when the FBI installs him as number ten on their most wanted list. His ego insists that he be # 1.

So he decides to eliminate all the competition.

FBI agent Ariel Grace, twenty-nine, is in charge of unit five, after # 5 on the list. When the take down goes bad, because of an unmarked car parked in the area, she is transferred to unit ten and sees it as
Karen San Diego
I have not read the Dexter novels yet, however famous they are. I have read many reviews saying Top Ten was a dead ringer for the Dexter books, but said that the former was published years earlier, so it was not a rip-off. I am not in a position to compare since I haven’t read the latter, but I believe I am in a fair position to say that it was a bit underrated under certain circumstances. It was not a “WOW THAT WAS SOOO GOOD” but it was a “WOW, THAT WAS FAIRLY ENTERTAINING”. Here is the synopsi ...more
Tony
Ryne Douglas Pearson- Top Ten 3.5 Stars

When serial killer Michaelangelo sees that the top ten most wanted list has been numbered and he is at the bottom of the list, it infuriates him. Now he is hunting down the others on the list in order to become number one. Ariel and the FBI are after this man though and they are onto what his game is. This cagey villain will be the ultimate test for her skills.

This was one of the most disturbing introductions I have read in a long time. The book was very we
Desert Rose
This is my first book by this author and now he is on my favorite list!

Michaelangelo as he prefers to be known regards himself an artist and not a killer. His brutal slayings are arranged as meaningful art to him.
When he discovers he is in the top ten list of wanted men in the USA he finds he is number 10. He is furious!!
So now he is determined to change that and therefore has to climb up that list. By any means possible.
Now an FBI agent is on his tail and her main task is to save number five o
Monique
I liked this story of a man who finds himself at number 10 on the FBI most wanted list. Enraged, he decides to kill Numbers 1-9 so he can be first. Interesting twists and turns, good pace, good vocabulary.
Shawn Hopkins
I'm a big fan of Pearson and I wasn't disappointed with Top Ten. It was disturbing and dark, gruesome and suspenseful. Pushing the boundaries with his villain, Pearson takes us into the limitless mind of a serial killer unlike any other. But this story is more complicated than just a simple hunt for a psychopath. It's also about our FBI hero and the undercover mission that becomes threatened by the insanity-driven work of "Michelangelo." Great story with enough intertwining elements to make it o ...more
Kim Baker
Wow

Loved it! I could not put it down until the end and I still wanted more! hope a sequel is coming!
Douglas Dorow
This is the first book I've read from Ryne Douglas Pearson. I enjoyed the read. The premise is plausible with a few different parallel story lines woven together to create a story that first makes you wonder what's going on and then carries you along with characters you care about to the end.

Ryne has included some scenes in the kindle version that were too graphic for the publisher in the paper book version. These scenes add to the psychotic view of the antagonist and make you think about what e
Mike
When you read a book about a serial killer you have to know how it isn't going to end up well for the serial killer.

While this one doesn't end up any differently, sorry if I spoiled it for anyone, for a brief moment I actually felt sorry for the guy. Having been bullied as a child I can certainly understand why this killer after being scarred for life he would ultimately snap.

Enjoyed the read, although I must admit that some of the author's descriptions of the predator's prey was a bit too grap
Nicole
This is the very first book I read as an adult and I haven't stopped since. I was never much of a reader but after flying through this book, I couldn't wait to pick up my next one.

This is about a crazy serial killer (what serial killer isn't crazy?) who is number 10 on the FBI's 10 most wanted list. He wants to be number 1 (who doesn't?) so he starts picking off his competion.
Lee Ann
It's been a number of years since I've read this suspenseful thriller, but I remember the sheer gore and terror contained within its pages. Not a book for the faint of heart, but if you've got someone you trust in the house with you and you're not the type to jump at every small sound in or outside of the house, then certainly search out a copy and read this juicy thriller at once.
William
The tale of a serial killer who is upset at his meager tenth place on the FBI's most wanted list taking action to improve his position is intriguing. The problem is that he is better at finding these people than the FBI. He does use unorthodox methods that the FBI can't to find these people.

Overall it was a quick, entertaining summer read. Nothing to deep or thought provoking.
Neeka
First off I have to say I loved the plot of the book. The number 10 of the FBI most wanted killing off the others above him because he wants to be number one. Very interesting and unusual. The book kept me interested and the dialog was very good. Character development was also an A+. I would recommend this book to anyone who like action, mystery, and, and murder.
Susan
The FBI's top ten most wanted has left out one murderer who is not happy about being overlooked… He's hell bent to fix the problem. He's finding the guys that the FBI can't find and murdering them in the most gruesome ways. This is a great story. The writing kind of gets in the way in the beginning but it's worth plowing through.
Toya Sharmaine
It was a good read. At first the story starts out somewhat confusing because you don't realize how many characters make up this story. Once the back story has been explained, it becomes quite intriguing, as there are many mini stories going on outside of the main story. Good read I recommend.
Clint Roberts
This is one of the best page turners I have ever read. The only reason it took me two days to read was because it was 4am and I had to get some sleep. Needless to say I finished it bright and early the next day. This book will always be in my top ten books I have read (no pun intended)
Gale Bailey
Quite good, but not great. The book builds excitement all the way through, but I was rather stunned about the way the killer dies. I guess I was hoping for something more than actually happened. Michael Angelo Strange was defininately an interesting killer, though!
Kaye
Fast paced thriller thatI admit I was hesitant to read as the first bit was rather gory but once I got past that found I couldn't put it down. Kept my heart racing and on the edge of my seat up to the end. For thriller lovers this book is a must read. Highly recommend.
Robbie
I rated this one 4.5 stars. Well-written, exciting, fast-paced. It was (for me) a little beyond the pale on the level of violence, but I did, as always enjoy Pearson's quality of writing. Jim read this and rated it 4.5 stars, too.
Sam
Paint-by-numbers "female cop chases serial killer" book, so close to Silence of the Lambs it's kind of ridiculous. Weak characters, a nonsensical story-line, and a climax that did nothing for me. Pass.
Faby
so far the most scary book i read, this book actually give me nightmares, is sooo disturbing, to think that there actually ppl crazy like that, the writing is so amazing it actually grab you
Helen
only got 39% through. I couldn't go on after rat's. although I had to stop I have still given this 2 stars as I think if I hadn't been so soft it could have been good. this just isn't the book for me
Jessi
This was a fun read. It's like watching a long episode of CSI, with some of the most inventive death scenes ever imagined. It was hard to take seriously at times, but still--pure entertainment.
Michele J
The concept of the book was interesting but the author put in way too much about airplanes and flying. I wanted to know more about the men on the top ten list and less about Mills.
Hilary
Not my favorite. Only two chapters in the entire 298 pages that I actually liked, the rest was over done and boring.. for a full review, please check out my blog (noveldtales.blogspot.com)
Darby
Has been one of my personal all time favorites!! Puts you in mind of THE BONE CATHCER.
Lynn
Oct 29, 2013 Lynn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: audio
Perfect audio book for a long car ride.
Tyler Adam
Wish this one was a movie too.
Pam Mccullough
a little sick, but good.
  • Iced
  • The 24th Letter
  • A Man Overboard
  • Hope Road
  • Arsonist (Jon Stanton, #4)
  • No Time To Run
  • First Time Killer
  • You Only Die Twice
  • The Big Bend (Terry Rankin, #1)
  • Messages
  • Never Back Down
  • Liquid Lies
  • Burnt Bones  (Special X, #7)
  • The Color of Greed (Raja Williams Mystery Series, 1)
  • Big Girls Don't Cry (Blonde Barracuda, #1)
  • A Touch of Deceit
  • The Advocate
  • Apocalypse Island
Ryne Douglas Pearson is an accomplished novelist and screenwriter. He is the author of several novels, including Cloudburst, October's Ghost, Capitol Punishment, Simple Simon, Top Ten, The Donzerly Light, All For One, Confessions, and Cop Killer. He is also the author of the short story collection, Dark and Darker. His novel Simple Simon was made into the film Mercury Rising. As a screenwriter he ...more
More about Ryne Douglas Pearson...
All For One The Donzerly Light Simple Simon Cloudburst Confessions