Start by marking “Top Ten” as Want to Read:
Top Ten

Top Ten

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  236 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
'He cut the woman to calm her down...'

So begins this relentless journey into madness and murder by Knowing screenwriter Ryne Douglas Pearson.

"An interesting twist on the serial-killer thriller" Publishers Weekly praise for 'Top Ten'

His plan...kill his way to the top. Her orders...stop him. At all costs.

A killer who believes himself an artist of unmatched talent is incensed
Published October 14th 2010 by Schmuck & Underwood (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Top Ten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Top Ten

Randy
Oct 29, 2009 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He considered himself an artist. Known only as Michaelangelo, he butchered his victims and rearranged the parts into his "art." He becomes enraged when the FBI installs him as number ten on their most wanted list. His ego insists that he be # 1.

So he decides to eliminate all the competition.

FBI agent Ariel Grace, twenty-nine, is in charge of unit five, after # 5 on the list. When the take down goes bad, because of an unmarked car parked in the area, she is transferred to unit ten and sees it as
Karen San Diego
I have not read the Dexter novels yet, however famous they are. I have read many reviews saying Top Ten was a dead ringer for the Dexter books, but said that the former was published years earlier, so it was not a rip-off. I am not in a position to compare since I haven’t read the latter, but I believe I am in a fair position to say that it was a bit underrated under certain circumstances. It was not a “WOW THAT WAS SOOO GOOD” but it was a “WOW, THAT WAS FAIRLY ENTERTAINING”. Here is the synopsi ...more
Tony
Jun 30, 2012 Tony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ryne Douglas Pearson- Top Ten 3.5 Stars

When serial killer Michaelangelo sees that the top ten most wanted list has been numbered and he is at the bottom of the list, it infuriates him. Now he is hunting down the others on the list in order to become number one. Ariel and the FBI are after this man though and they are onto what his game is. This cagey villain will be the ultimate test for her skills.

This was one of the most disturbing introductions I have read in a long time. The book was very we
Trisha
Inhoud:
Hij noemt zichzelf Michaelangelo. Net als de schilder, maar geschreven met een extra a. Deze moordenaar van Pennsylvania maakt van zijn slachtoffers gruwelijke kunstwerken en heeft slechts één doel voor ogen: de meeste gezochte misdadiger van Amerika worden.
De veelbelovende FBI-agente Ariel Grace onderzoekt de gruwelijke moorden. Zij ontdekt dat Michaelangelo, nummer tien op de lijst van de FBI, gedreven wordt door woede. Laaiend is hij, dat er maar liefst negen killers beter zijn dan hij
Desert Rose
Jan 14, 2012 Desert Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book by this author and now he is on my favorite list!

Michaelangelo as he prefers to be known regards himself an artist and not a killer. His brutal slayings are arranged as meaningful art to him.
When he discovers he is in the top ten list of wanted men in the USA he finds he is number 10. He is furious!!
So now he is determined to change that and therefore has to climb up that list. By any means possible.
Now an FBI agent is on his tail and her main task is to save number five o
chelepissbcglobal.net
Oct 13, 2015 chelepissbcglobal.net rated it it was amazing
ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY FABULOUS.

I can just picture this book as an action packed, thrill a minute, never ending roller coaster ride. WOW. This is a must-read book. Read it now. You won't be disappointed.
Monique
Dec 10, 2014 Monique rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
I liked this story of a man who finds himself at number 10 on the FBI most wanted list. Enraged, he decides to kill Numbers 1-9 so he can be first. Interesting twists and turns, good pace, good vocabulary.
Shawn Hopkins
Apr 13, 2013 Shawn Hopkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Pearson and I wasn't disappointed with Top Ten. It was disturbing and dark, gruesome and suspenseful. Pushing the boundaries with his villain, Pearson takes us into the limitless mind of a serial killer unlike any other. But this story is more complicated than just a simple hunt for a psychopath. It's also about our FBI hero and the undercover mission that becomes threatened by the insanity-driven work of "Michelangelo." Great story with enough intertwining elements to make it o ...more
Frances I. Guempel
Oct 10, 2015 Frances I. Guempel rated it really liked it
Great read.

Really enjoyed this one. Hard to put down. Glad Rune has written many other books so I can start on them.Happy reading.
Maryjo Laupp
Dec 27, 2015 Maryjo Laupp rated it really liked it
Loved it

Riveting!! The action starts on the first page and just keeps building from there. A must-read for murder mystery fans!
Kim Baker
Mar 18, 2014 Kim Baker rated it really liked it
Wow

Loved it! I could not put it down until the end and I still wanted more! hope a sequel is coming!
Douglas Dorow
Jan 14, 2011 Douglas Dorow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read from Ryne Douglas Pearson. I enjoyed the read. The premise is plausible with a few different parallel story lines woven together to create a story that first makes you wonder what's going on and then carries you along with characters you care about to the end.

Ryne has included some scenes in the kindle version that were too graphic for the publisher in the paper book version. These scenes add to the psychotic view of the antagonist and make you think about what e
Marcia Bergeron
Jul 16, 2015 Marcia Bergeron rated it it was amazing
This was an action packed book about a wacko killer. I enjoyed the quick read.
Renee
Jan 07, 2015 Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It got one point because George Guidall read it.
Mike
Mar 31, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you read a book about a serial killer you have to know how it isn't going to end up well for the serial killer.

While this one doesn't end up any differently, sorry if I spoiled it for anyone, for a brief moment I actually felt sorry for the guy. Having been bullied as a child I can certainly understand why this killer after being scarred for life he would ultimately snap.

Enjoyed the read, although I must admit that some of the author's descriptions of the predator's prey was a bit too grap
Hannie
Een spannende thriller over FBI-agente Ariel Grace, die achter een van Amerika's meest gevreesde moordenaars aanzit. Ik vond het een interessant en boeiend boek. In het begin duurt het even voor je in het verhaal zit, maar daarna wil je blijven lezen. Op een gegeven moment kwam ik er achter dat ik dit boek al eerder had gelezen. Omdat ik niet meer wist hoe het afliep, heb ik het toch maar uitgelezen. Want ik wilde toch wel weten hoe het ook al weer eindigde. Leuk om gelezen te hebben.
Nicole
Jan 27, 2009 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the very first book I read as an adult and I haven't stopped since. I was never much of a reader but after flying through this book, I couldn't wait to pick up my next one.

This is about a crazy serial killer (what serial killer isn't crazy?) who is number 10 on the FBI's 10 most wanted list. He wants to be number 1 (who doesn't?) so he starts picking off his competion.
Lee Ann
Jul 26, 2011 Lee Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a number of years since I've read this suspenseful thriller, but I remember the sheer gore and terror contained within its pages. Not a book for the faint of heart, but if you've got someone you trust in the house with you and you're not the type to jump at every small sound in or outside of the house, then certainly search out a copy and read this juicy thriller at once.
William
The tale of a serial killer who is upset at his meager tenth place on the FBI's most wanted list taking action to improve his position is intriguing. The problem is that he is better at finding these people than the FBI. He does use unorthodox methods that the FBI can't to find these people.

Overall it was a quick, entertaining summer read. Nothing to deep or thought provoking.
Neeka
Jan 26, 2013 Neeka rated it it was amazing
First off I have to say I loved the plot of the book. The number 10 of the FBI most wanted killing off the others above him because he wants to be number one. Very interesting and unusual. The book kept me interested and the dialog was very good. Character development was also an A+. I would recommend this book to anyone who like action, mystery, and, and murder.
Susan
Jan 08, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The FBI's top ten most wanted has left out one murderer who is not happy about being overlooked… He's hell bent to fix the problem. He's finding the guys that the FBI can't find and murdering them in the most gruesome ways. This is a great story. The writing kind of gets in the way in the beginning but it's worth plowing through.
Toya Sharmaine
Apr 25, 2013 Toya Sharmaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a good read. At first the story starts out somewhat confusing because you don't realize how many characters make up this story. Once the back story has been explained, it becomes quite intriguing, as there are many mini stories going on outside of the main story. Good read I recommend.
Clint Roberts
Feb 20, 2012 Clint Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best page turners I have ever read. The only reason it took me two days to read was because it was 4am and I had to get some sleep. Needless to say I finished it bright and early the next day. This book will always be in my top ten books I have read (no pun intended)
Gale Bailey
Quite good, but not great. The book builds excitement all the way through, but I was rather stunned about the way the killer dies. I guess I was hoping for something more than actually happened. Michael Angelo Strange was defininately an interesting killer, though!
Kaye
Jul 22, 2011 Kaye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced thriller thatI admit I was hesitant to read as the first bit was rather gory but once I got past that found I couldn't put it down. Kept my heart racing and on the edge of my seat up to the end. For thriller lovers this book is a must read. Highly recommend.
Robbie
I rated this one 4.5 stars. Well-written, exciting, fast-paced. It was (for me) a little beyond the pale on the level of violence, but I did, as always enjoy Pearson's quality of writing. Jim read this and rated it 4.5 stars, too.
Sam
Oct 19, 2008 Sam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Paint-by-numbers "female cop chases serial killer" book, so close to Silence of the Lambs it's kind of ridiculous. Weak characters, a nonsensical story-line, and a climax that did nothing for me. Pass.
Faby
Jun 15, 2012 Faby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so far the most scary book i read, this book actually give me nightmares, is sooo disturbing, to think that there actually ppl crazy like that, the writing is so amazing it actually grab you
Helen
Mar 22, 2013 Helen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
only got 39% through. I couldn't go on after rat's. although I had to stop I have still given this 2 stars as I think if I hadn't been so soft it could have been good. this just isn't the book for me
Jessi
Sep 10, 2007 Jessi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was a fun read. It's like watching a long episode of CSI, with some of the most inventive death scenes ever imagined. It was hard to take seriously at times, but still--pure entertainment.
  • Iced
  • A Man Overboard
  • No Time To Run
  • Burnt Bones  (Special X, #7)
  • You Only Die Twice
  • Death Angel
  • The 24th Letter (Sean O'Brien, #2)
  • The Color of Greed (Raja Williams Mystery Series, 1)
  • Arsonist (Jon Stanton, #4)
  • Never Back Down
  • First Time Killer
  • The Ninth District   A Thriller (Volume 1)
  • The Missings
  • Liquid Lies
  • Omega
  • Illegal
  • Hope Road
  • Diva (Frank Renzi, #2)
Ryne Douglas Pearson is an accomplished novelist and screenwriter. He is the author of several novels, including Cloudburst, October's Ghost, Capitol Punishment, Simple Simon, Top Ten, The Donzerly Light, All For One, Confessions, and Cop Killer. He is also the author of the short story collection, Dark and Darker. His novel Simple Simon was made into the film Mercury Rising. As a screenwriter he ...more
More about Ryne Douglas Pearson...