Start by marking “How Did I Get Here?: The Ascent of an Unlikely CEO” as Want to Read:
How Did I Get Here?: The Ascent of an Unlikely CEO

How Did I Get Here?: The Ascent of an Unlikely CEO

The most famous skateboarder ever shares the business secrets to his success! He's the man who put skateboarding on the map. He's the first to land a 900 (two and a half full rotations). He's also among the richest pitchmen in any sport. And, in a sport that's especially youth-oriented, Tony Hawk, a 40-something father of four, still connects with his audience by staying t ...more
Published September 14th 2010 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about How Did I Get Here?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Did I Get Here?

Taka Sande
Feb 25, 2016 Taka Sande rated it liked it
This is not a bad book. It was written with a modern tone to target the younger generation. The book was well designed and the graphics convincing. Tony put a lot of effort to produce the book.

However it lacks in depth lessons for young entrepreneurs. The book proved that Tony may be a great entrepreneur but not a good at teaching and mentoring, or he got there by just luck. Hence the book is just a biography of his life with little things to apply to your business.

When I got the book I was exci
David Peters
Feb 08, 2011 David Peters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why I Read It: Every time I see Tony Hawk on TV he strikes me as a good guy. Plus he is, by any standard, phenomenally successful. So when I saw this short business book (another topic that interest me) on the new shelf I immediately picked it up.

Where I Obtained the Book: My local library on the new shelf.

Review: Why would you want to read a business book by Tony Hawk?

That is a great place to start. Not to stereotype, but I imaging the average Tony Hawk fan is a slightly under-educated adole
Amy
Feb 06, 2011 Amy rated it liked it

Having two sons who used to watch that awful show, Jackass, I know who Tony Hawk is, and can understand how he’s become such an icon in both sports and entertainment. How can you not like a guy riding a bike through a loop de loop, into the ocean, wearing a chicken suit? Not taking himself too seriously seems to be his attitude, and he explains how that has worked for him in this new book, How Did I Get Here? You can almost hear him laugh as he asks that, as his business smarts and wise choices
Danny Duff
Apr 25, 2011 Danny Duff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gina
Nov 12, 2015 Gina rated it it was ok
I have always been slightly fascinated by Tony Hawk because of his passion for skating. It was interesting to read about how his business grew and his successes (with a few failures). This book is mostly focused on his business and his business decisions. I may have to read his other books to find out more about his vision as a skater, how it feels to skate, and how it feels to accomplish those incredible tricks.
Susan
Nov 03, 2010 Susan rated it did not like it
Shelves: autobiography
This book was a bit too self-congratulatory for my taste. "This is how we do it in our world" is probably one of the most annoying catch-phrases ever. It must be hard to 'keep it real' when you have your own Happy Meal toy. He does a lot of name-dropping for those-in-the-know in the skater, BMX and Motocross crowd. Tony Hawk has always seemed like an interesting guy, too bad the book doesn't show it. The e-mails from fans and haters provide the most interesting reading.
Dawn
My young nephew wanted this book as he's a huge Tony Hawk fan and I read it before he got the chance to. It is great for young readers to learn about how business works, work ethic, and finding what you're passionate about and sticking with it because then it doesn't seem like work. There are lessons to be learned about failure as well as success--and what to do with both. I hope he learns just as much as I did.
Adara
Dec 10, 2010 Adara rated it liked it
I never knew much about what Tony did besides being a skateboarder and having his own video game, so it was kind of cool to read about his other exploits. The thing is, though, he has it different from most businessmen in that he has millions of dollars so if his latest venture fails, eh. I was also irritated that he acted like I couldn't remember people's names from the previous page and kept repeating their full name and their relationship to him. Man.
Julie
Jun 21, 2011 Julie rated it it was amazing
"How Did I Get Here" is sort of like Tony Hawk's "business bio." It chronicles the spawn of Birdhouse, and Hawk's rise to stardom, all while trying to "keep it real." No matter what the cost, Tony Hawk has considered the skater-punk ethos inherent to his business accumen. "How Did I Get Here" speaks to the young Tony Hawks out there who dream of opening their own skate park.
JJH
Oct 17, 2016 JJH rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent look at the rise of Tony Hawk

Entertaining book but a bit repetitive at times. Could have (and should have) been a lot shorter. Also includes names and references that aren't explained, making some parts confusing for people not well-versed in the world of extreme sports.
Corinna
Mar 24, 2011 Corinna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
quick read with solid advice re family, keeping balance, acknowledgement re the "luck factor" and honesty re errors made. A few salty words, but very grounded and clear writing style. Everything tied to skateboarding which made it even more interesting. Did you know his (now deceased) father started what is now the main skateboard assoc in the US? Cool facts tossed in with the advice.
Khaliq Spruill
May 22, 2011 Khaliq Spruill rated it it was amazing
This books shows the reader the life of Tony Hawk outside of the videogame franchise and pulling a 900 ( two and a half spin)the books shows you the CEO and story of Tony Hawk. The story gives insight of the struggles he faced including near bank repucy, risk, and hate from local no name skaters who disapprove of his publicty.
Michelle
Nov 17, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
4th star for the last color photo in the book (and its caption!)
Christopher Kijowski
Nov 01, 2010 Christopher Kijowski rated it did not like it
I thought this would be a decent business book chronicling the rise of Tony Hawk as an entrepreneur. The book was actually a pretty boring read and I would not recommend the book.
Jack
Sep 10, 2012 Jack rated it it was amazing
Great read really interesting!
Shona
Jan 02, 2011 Shona rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
While I know nothing about skateboarding, it was interesting to read how Tony Hawk turned doing something he loved into a multi-million dollar business.
Deyara
May 15, 2012 Deyara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, and fun to read. Some nice pictures, and appealing layout.
Daniel Ben-Zvi
Daniel Ben-Zvi rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2011
Nathan
Nathan rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2012
Shaun
Shaun rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2015
John Fogarty
John Fogarty rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2017
Jason DeFillippo
Jason DeFillippo rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2016
Max Tarkhov
Max Tarkhov rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2011
Dan Amrich
Dan Amrich rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2012
Jo Ey
Jo Ey rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2014
Neal
Neal rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2017
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2011
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2010
Kay
Kay rated it really liked it
May 30, 2014
Greg Lontok
Greg Lontok rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Anthony Frank "Tony" Hawk (born May 12, 1968), nicknamed "The Birdman", is an American professional skateboarder, actor, and owner of skateboard company Birdhouse. Hawk is well known for completing the first documented 900 and for his licensed video game titles, published by Activision. He is widely considered to be one of the most successful and influential pioneers of modern vertical skateboardi ...more
More about Tony Hawk...