Start by marking “The Journal Of Biddy Owens, Birmingham, Alabama, 1948” as Want to Read:
The Journal Of Biddy Owens, Birmingham, Alabama, 1948

The Journal Of Biddy Owens, Birmingham, Alabama, 1948 (My Name Is America)

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  196 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
The journal of Biddy Owens, a batboy for the Birmingham Black Barons, one of the best teams in the Negro Leagues, describes some of the greatest ball players of the game as Biddy's story covers the games, road trips, racial segregation, and day-to-day life in Birmingham.
Published April 1st 2001 by Scholastic Inc.

Rebecca
Mar 26, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was ok
Boring and hard to finish. Too much sports and not enough history. Readers interested in baseball might like it, but it's not very similar to other My Name is America books and readers who like the series for the historical detail will probably want to pass on this book.
Katherine
Aug 25, 2015 Katherine rated it it was ok
Review coming soon, but in the meantime...

If you're into baseball statistics and nothing else, this is the book for you. Otherwise, skip it.
Kelsey Hanson
Dec 12, 2015 Kelsey Hanson rated it it was ok
UGH. This one was not my favorite addition to this series. This is a book where you REALLY have to be into baseball to appreciate it. Baseball stats don't mean much to me so it made for a pretty dull read. I was hoping this one would focus more on the civil rights movement surrounding baseball at the time. They are mentioned but don't seem to be the prime focus.
Callie Stillion
Biddy`s life is amazing, and he has a lot of time with baseball, leaving home, and not coming back for a long time. His friends, especially Piper, are so mad when the lose a game, but do a very good job. I don`t know if what happens is they win the second half, but I do know they won the second half. I hope that Biddy`s team did, though, even though they were MUCH better in the first half, but this was a great book, great season, and I had a lot of fun reading the one funny part, 'And (surprise! ...more
Jake H
Feb 12, 2013 Jake H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plot-
A seven-teen year old boy named Biddy Owens loves baseball. He plays for the Birmingham Black Barons. He wants to soon enter the big leagues, the only problem is is that he is black. This book took place in the 1940's. African Americans were not allowed to play in the major leagues. Most of the players on the Birmingham Black Barons are good enough to enter the major leagues, but the white owners try to keep the black players limited with only Jackie Robinson and Lary Doby being the only bl
Jan 04, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: younger-readers
This novel is set in 1948 and is written in the form of a journal, kept by the fictitious equipment manager for the real Negro League Black Barons of Birmingham. Owens is also an aspiring player, and throughout the course of the novel he has to make a decision about whether to continue pursuing his baseball dreams (and earning a decent income for a young man) or move on to college. It seems well researched, and Myers’ ability to subtly show the inequities of segregation without the narrator cons ...more
Jonas
Jun 12, 2012 Jonas rated it really liked it
The book is set just after Jackie Robinson has broken the “color barrier” in baseball, but as we see through this “journal” kept Biddy Owens (the equipment manager of the Birmingham Black Barons), the struggle for equality in athletics (and all parts of life) is far from over for black Americans. The journal provides lots of interesting insights into life in the segregated South. Biddy’s mindset that “this is just how things are and they may not change” will really reach a young reader and show ...more
TJL
Great book.

However, much like with the author's other book for this series (Joshua Loper), I feel like there were times when this read more like a novel than a diary.

I think part of it was the fact that sometimes the past tense was used when it shouldn't have been. Like, for instance: In one entry, Biddy describes Piper as such: "Piper was a man who could get mad in a heartbeat."

Except that, as of that entry, Piper is still alive. It would have made more sense to say "Piper is a man" rather tha
Lindsay
This book is written in the form of a diary. Though This book shows you thing though the eyes of any African American. This book is about the Negro Leagues. It tell about the times where Baseball was still considered a White man's game.

Around this time in 1948, Baseball was starting to ingrates with African American. It was when Jackie Robinson was brought to place for the Major Leagues though though out the book. People were still think that there were still a few segregated seating in ballpark
Emily
Dec 13, 2015 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just couldn't get into this book as much as I would have liked. I do like baseball, so I think that helped, but I probably wouldn't read this book again. Was it worth the read? I think so, but I was just left wanting more...in a bad way. I would still recommend it to people though. 3.5 out of 5 stars.
huang xingwang
this story taking about baseball how to play that ball. its hard to worry about white folks because now that jackie robinson is playing with the brookly dodgers and larry doby is playing withsthe cleveland indians.Everyone is playing with Indians,everyone is thinking about going up. just a year ago, ajasvkie played in the kansas city monarchs, and Doby played with the newark eagles. piper said that some of the palyer were so busy ti looking around foe white scouts.they cound not find the white b ...more
Andrew
Mar 06, 2013 Andrew rated it it was amazing
The Journal Of Biddy Owens
Historical Fiction

This book is set in 1948, where Biddy is an equipment manager for the Birmingham Black Barons, a Negro League team. After players like Jackie Robinson and Larry Doby are moving to the Major Leagues many other players are contemplating moving up. This book follows the team on a roadtrip battling segregation where ever they go.

I recommend this book to any baseball fan who would like to learn about history. I loved this book and enjoyed reading it.
Molly
Nov 11, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it
This entire series is a wonderful way to learn history or teach it to adolescents. I find today's generations seem to recall more when they learn through other people (pop songs, celebrity gossip, etc.), so what better way to teach history than through someone else's perspective? Yes, "authentic" diaries would be "better", but would the language really hold the modern student's attention? Did the diary writer know what WOULD be important in the context of history? Probably not.
Samdunlap
Feb 17, 2010 Samdunlap rated it liked it
The book, The Journal Of Biddy Owens was about a seventeen year old boy travelling on the road with the minor league baseball team that he is on. While travelling, he deals with many counts of discrimination and segregation. the book is in the form of a journal but is not based on a true story, but it could have fooled me. This book was good but I would not recommend it as a primary source for a history essay.
Tanya
Aug 01, 2013 Tanya rated it liked it
Meh. If you're into baseball, this might be a better book. I found myself skimming large parts just to read about the non-baseball stuff. There's lots of worthwhile historical stuff going on, but I just couldn't get into reading the play-by-plays of baseball games, over and over.
Flonic18dew
Dec 12, 2012 Flonic18dew rated it really liked it
This book is about a daily life of a black baseball player in the late 1940's. I thought it was really good because you learned a lot in the book and there was a lot of history. I felt like I was in the book the whole time. This book was really good! Good job Walter Dean Myers!
Meghan
May 22, 2012 Meghan rated it it was ok
For readers interested in the history of the Negro Leagues, I would recommend this book. For those like me who don't care much about baseball, I would only recommend it as an addition to the My Name is America series.
Jordan
Jul 03, 2013 Jordan rated it really liked it
I loved this book! It is meant for younger readers, but I think it gives you a feeling of what life was like before civil rights movement. Overall, this was a great book, perfect for anyone thy has a love for history.
Lorie
Nov 24, 2007 Lorie rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens-ya
We read this for the parent/child book discussion, The Page Turners, which I lead at my library. No one liked it, and the general consensus ~ from both children and adults alike ~ was that it was slow and boring.
Miguel
Apr 02, 2009 Miguel rated it it was ok
This book describes the day by day life of the players in the Negro Leagues.I didn't give it more than 3 stars because it's quite a hanger.It left me expecting something that never occured.
April Suter
Jun 13, 2013 April Suter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book about a young man that was involved with a baseball team in the Negro league. Good book for junior high and high school students or any baseball fan.

135 pages
Ethan
Sep 03, 2009 Ethan rated it it was amazing
Biddy Owens loves to play baseball, but he doesn't play alot because he is smaller than the other players. I like this book because I love baseball.
Aissatu
Feb 15, 2011 Aissatu rated it it was ok
talks about a drummer boy in the 54th who lived to be 100-years and had fought at fort wagner thank him
Erick
Apr 02, 2009 Erick rated it it was amazing
This is another book that shows how the Negro Leagues worked back then. I liked it.
Shonica
Sep 23, 2013 Shonica rated it liked it
If I cared at all about baseball I would have given it 4 stars.
Patrice
Dec 26, 2011 Patrice rated it liked it
I probably would have enjoyed this one more if I were into sports.
Umpalumpa
May 15, 2008 Umpalumpa rated it it was amazing
this book is about Biddy Owens playing in the negro leagues
Sonya Wanvig
Jan 18, 2012 Chris Torres rated it really liked it
Shelves:
pretty good book
  • Journal of Augustus Pelletier: The Lewis and Clark Expedition, 1804
  • The Journal of Patrick Seamus Flaherty: United States Marine Corps, Khe Sanh, Vietnam, 1968 (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Ben Uchida: Citizen 13559 Mirror Lake Internment Camp (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of James Edmond Pease, A Civil War Union Soldier: Virginia, 1863 (My Name is America #)
  • The Journal of Rufus Rowe, A Witness to the Battle of Fredericksburg (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Jasper Jonathan Pierce: A Pilgrim Boy (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Finn Reardon, A Newsie (My Name Is America)
  • Journal of Jedediah Barstow: An Emigrant On The Oregon Trail (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Jesse Smoke : A Cherokee Boy, Trail of Tears, 1838 (My Name Is America)
  • All the Stars in the Sky: The Santa Fe Trail Diary of Florrie Mack Ryder (Dear America)
  • The Journal of C. J. Jackson, a Dust Bowl Migrant, Oklahoma to California, 1935  (My Name Is America)
  • Journal of Wong Ming-Chung: A Chinese Miner, California, 1852 (My Name is America)
  • Journal of Douglas Allen Deeds: The Donner Party Expedition, 1846  (My Name Is America)
  • Freedom's Wings (My America: Corey's Underground Railroad Diary, #1)
  • Look to the Hills: The Diary of Lozette Moreau, a French Slave Girl (Dear America)
  • The Starving Time (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #2)
  • When Christmas Comes Again: The World War I Diary of Simone Spencer (Dear America)
  • Land of the Buffalo Bones: The Diary of Mary Ann Elizabeth Rodgers, An English Girl in Minnesota (Dear America)
pseudonyms:
Stacie Williams
Stacie Johnson

Walter Dean Myers was born on August 12, 1937 in Martinsburg, West Virginia but moved to Harlem with his foster parents at age three. He was brought up and went to public school there. He attended Stuyvesant High School until the age of seventeen when he joined the army.

After serving four years in the army, he worked at various jobs and earned a BA from Empi
More about Walter Dean Myers...

My Name Is America (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Journal Of William Thomas Emerson, A Revolutionary War Patriot (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal Of Joshua Loper, A Black Cowboy (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Scott Pendleton Collins: A World War 2 Soldier
  • Journal Of Sean Sullivan, A Transcontinental Railroad Worker (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Jasper Jonathan Pierce: A Pilgrim Boy (My Name Is America)
  • Journal of Augustus Pelletier: The Lewis and Clark Expedition, 1804
  • The Journal Of Otto Peltonen, A Finnish Immigrant (My Name Is America)