Start by marking “In the Flesh” as Want to Read:
In the Flesh

In the Flesh

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  955 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
AN INFAMOUS BEAUTY. A DARING WARRIOR. . .For five years, Sapphire has been the king of Sari's most treasured concubine. Independent at last, she refuses to put herself in anyone's control again. But now another's meddling has led her into the path of proud, arrogant Wulfric, Crown Prince of the rival kingdom of D'Ashier...a man who is dangerous to her in every way.AND A SE ...more
Published June 1st 2009 by Zebra Books

To ask other readers questions about In the Flesh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Flesh

Atrapada Enunashojasdepapel
Comencé este libro con bastante interés y lo he disfrutado, pero realmente me sentía un poco abrumada por tantas escenas eróticas y eso hizo que mi interés decayese un poco.

La parte erótica de esta historia ocupa casi todo el libro, si te gustan los libros del tema disfrutarás con este aunque personalmente prefiero algo más de trama y menos momentos de intimidad.

Una historia entretenida que me ha mantenido embelesada en sus páginas, el romance me encanta y considero que esta historia tiene ese p
Kathleen
Jul 22, 2012 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story Rating 4 Stars
Romance Rating 4 Stars
Character Rating 4 Stars
Heat Rating 5 sizzling Stars
Action Rating 4 Stars
Overall Rating 4 Stars

Once again Sylvia Day wrote one HOT SCORCHER of a book. There's just something about her Sex/Loves scenes that I'll never get enough of. They are very raw and extremely sexual. OK so I really liked the story but LOVED the heat, hahahahaha. No really the story was very good too and both the H&h very good characters. You could really feel the need these two h
Ssil
Jul 05, 2016 Ssil rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
¡Qué historia tan pobre! Sexo, sexo y más sexo. Un contexto del que no sabemos nada, conflictos previsibles, con potencial, pero nada desarrollados y solucionados en un par de páginas. Y sexo, sexo y sexo.

reseña: http://loquequierahoy.blogspot.com.es...
Tasmetu
Mar 04, 2016 Tasmetu rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Auf S. 166 abgebrochen. Bitte entschuldigt mich, während ich kotzen gehe.
Maria
Dec 16, 2012 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Seriously, where is the sequel??
Katie(babs)
Sapphire is the royal concubine of the King of Sari. Sapphire was trained in the art of seduction at the Sensual Arts School. Because of the drawn out war between Sari and the D’Ashier colony, Sapphire never thought she would become a concubine because to own one was a luxury most could not afford. Sari and D’Ashier have been enemies for two centuries ever since D’Ashier started a revolution where they could be free of Sari. Even after the war ended between the two, there is still a deep animosi ...more
Mojca
*******Update 07/04: On second re-read I found myaself appreciating this book a little bit more...So 4 stars it is.*******

King of Sari's favorite concubine (and by the same king's proclamation his karisette - one true love), Sapphire is released after five years of service with a great retiring plan. A house of her own, no need to search for a new protector, and fourteen men at her very beck and call.

Unfortunately one of those men is none other than the crown prince of D'Ashier, Wulfric, who's b
Desere
Dec 12, 2013 Desere rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Another super scorching hot read from the ultimate author in erotic fiction! For five long years Sapphire has been the King of Sari's most treasure concubine.

But once that wonderful feeling of freedom hits she is dead set on never ever again being controlled again.

But when she comes face to face with Wulfric and his sensual games she becomes a warrior trapped in a war and the only way out is to surrender.

I simply loved, loved, loved this books and it's characters! The author tied it all in toge
Natalia
Jul 08, 2016 Natalia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Review on In the Flesh by Sylvia Day:
- started with a 20 pg prologue (!!!)
- writing was great
- the first few chapters were great
- it went downhill when the love interest Wulf turns out to be an anti-feminist asshole, manipulating Sapphire (protag) into having sex
- Sapphire's agency and independence is robbed. There are only a few glimpses of her being a badass warrior.
- internalised misogyny
- sex scenes started off great but became repetitive, boring and blocking the progress of the plot
Bookaholics
Jun 02, 2009 Bookaholics rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the Flesh by Livia Dare
Futuristic Romance- June 2nd, 2009
4 stars

Theirs is a dangerous, forbidden love.

Sapphire is a trained concubine renowned because she holds the love of the King of Sari. For her, the King is a job and she can never love him because he only sees her as a possession. She does not regret becoming a concubine but has discovered that she does miss her independence. When the jealous Queen of Sari retires her and gives Sapphire her own palace, she is at first joyous. Freedom
MaggieReadsRom
An ambush-attack on Wulfric when he accompanies a patrol to the borderlands between D'Ashier and Sari and a devious plan of a jealous Queen bring Wulfric and Sapphire together. Wulfric is offered to Sapphire as a servant when the Queen forces her husband to relieve Sapphire from her duties as his concubine. When they find out their respective identities, things get complicated. Wulf returns to his homeland but finds out he can't live without Sapphire and takes her with him against her will. The ...more
Nicola
Oct 13, 2013 Nicola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
* ARC provided in exchange for an honest review*

This book was previously released back in June 2009 under a Pseudonym of Sylvia Day's - Livia Dare. It's since been re-released in the US on the 24th September 2013 and in the UK on 24th October 2013.

If you are a regular reader of Sylvia Day you will know what to expect in terms of the sexual content of this book. Like all Sylvia Day books, In The Flesh is HOT! Incredibly sensual, explicit, evocative and utterly addictive.

It is set in a futuristic
Noemí
Jun 28, 2016 Noemí rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bueno, pues he de decir, que la historia me ha entretenido bastante, porque me ha parecido original, pero no era lo que esperaba cuando leí la sinopsis.
Me gusta el estilo de escritura de Sylvia, pero me gustan las historias más romanticas y no tan eróticas, me parece que tantas escenas de sexo frio le quitan gracia a la historia en sí.
No obstante, me parece que no ha estado mal.
Kerry
Nov 03, 2013 Kerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given an advance copy of this book for my honest opinion. In The Flesh, Sylvia Day's romantic forage into science fantasy is deliciously sexy and enticing. I was a bit unsure about what to expect as I began reading this book, but it's another Sylvia Day masterpiece. Katie or Sapphire as she is more widely known, concubine of one king and now lover to Prince Wulfric. Highly trained in combat skills by her father, a general in the King's army, Katie is a seductress and a magnificent warrior. ...more
Natasha
Jul 24, 2015 Natasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love how Day captures a different era in her books. This world unbeknownst to any of us and yet she makes you feel like you're there and you can picture easily the surroundings of the story. Amid war and two kingdoms fighting with each other Sapphire and Wulfric found a perfect kind of love. They were both willing to fight for each other and the love they have for one another. Sapphire was loved by the king of her kingdom and he kept her as his own, but this only angered the kings wife and so ...more
Suwayda
I thought I'd enjoy this book, but no. The male protagonist is so possessive and the relationship Sapphire and Wulfric have comes across as an abusive one. He treats her really badly and less than a human being. I just couldn't finish this book. If we Wulfric hadn't of been such a prick, I might have enjoyed it a bit more.
Charlotte Smith
Jul 29, 2016 Charlotte Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a book I expected from ms day. A good book and one that I wanted to read and couldn't put down once I started it.
A book that starts off with a story line that surprised me but turns out good in the end.
Lia
Apr 12, 2015 Lia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is not only today, there are also plenty of action and romance. Nice twists and turns. Lots of intrigue. Overall it is a very enjoyable read. My only complaint is that the ending leaves loose ends and I was hoping to find something on the internet talking about another book to seal these tips, but considering it was originally published years ago, and so far there is no continuation, I think that will be very unlikely to happen. But does the fact that he was re-launched as Sylvia Day, p ...more
Nonieღserenity2bliss
Story wise, I've read better stuff from the author. But I adored Katie and Wulf. Their chemistry is undeniable! Anyone know if there'll be a second book?
Beth
May 08, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this short story. The author kept me invested in the outcome in this inventive new world.
Pete
Mar 19, 2015 Pete rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: day-sylvia
In the Flesh by Sylvia Day . Typically I’m not much of a fan of fictional histories or futuristic worlds where Kings have concubines, or harems exist. I’m an equalist (same as feminist to include race, color, gender, culture, or belief system). But, again I was dared to read this book by another GR friend. So putting my prejudices aside, I LOVED THIS BOOK.

The story was 10 Star HOTT!, requiring multiple cold showers! I loved the twisting plot, the incredible character Katie/Sapphire, a suppo
Leila Anani
Sci-fi romance between the concubine of a king and an enemy prince.

Always like Sylvia Day and can only criticise her for slightly too perfect heroes and passive heroines. Well that second niggle's certainly not true here, our heroine - Sapphire, or Katie defies a kingdom to get her man, she's a concubine with military training and apart from her unimaginative name (Katie... really? in a world where everyone else has fantasy sounding names?). She kills villains, holds a knife to the throat of the
Mirely
I really enjoyed the world Livia Dare created in this book. The love scenes were definitely hot but became too redundant in details as well as a bit much... I mean they were horn dogs in this book! It only bothered me because there was so much more going on in this book and it would have been nice to lessen the sex a bit and explored the rest of the story a bit more. I also felt that the way Sapphire aka Katie and Wulfric fell in love was retold way too often in the book. Trust me the reader wil ...more
Bree T
Sapphire is the most prized concubine of the King of Sari. For the past five years ever since he purchased her contract and took her into his bed, he has visited no other, not even his wife the Queen. However the kingdom of Sari requires an heir that must be conceived via natural methods and for that reason, the Queen engineers the removal of Sapphire from the palace. The King retires Sapphire, which grants her the independence that she so desperately desires. However, in her new luxurious accom ...more
Melissa
Jan 25, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It sarted out fast and didn't stop til the end. You had the alpha Wulfe and the beautiful Katie/Sapphire who in not only beautiful but also a courtsean and a fierce warrior. In five years as the King Sari's concubine she was bored and longed to be free fearing she would never have what her heart desired. In an instant, upon seeing Wolfe she knew just like he did that they were destined to be together but how impossible that would be.

What all that resulted in is an int
Heather
May 12, 2009 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2009, romance
Wulfric, the Crown Prince of D’Ashier, is strong, handsome and used to getting what he wants. When he's captured by his enemy, he finds himself wanting his rival’s concubine. To be with her he’ll have to defy his father and could end up starting a war, but that doesn’t stop him from using his skills in the bedroom to try and claim her.

Sapphire is the most treasured concubine of the King of Sari, and the daughter of Sari's General. Not only is she trained in the sensual arts, but also in hand-to-
Gabri
Dec 13, 2013 Gabri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sylvia Day's books never, ever let you down in terms of plot, character's emotional development and sexual chemistry. In the Flesh dates back to 2009, published under Sylvia's pen-name Livia Dare, and deals already with some of those themes she will develop so well in the Crossfire Series: siblings rivalry, discarded lovers going bat-shit mad, parents' poor judgement, a beautiful strong-willed heroine and a gorgeous alpha-male who goes to any lengths to have the woman he wants permanently in his ...more
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
Copy received from publisher via NetGalley for honest review

For the past 5 years, Katie, AKA Sapphire, has been the king of Sari's favourite concubine, to the exclusion of all his other concubines - and his Queen.

Jealous of the king's love for her, the Queen arranges for Sapphire's retirement, with benefits that no woman could deny. She has her own palace, will never want for anything - and 14 men for her every pleasure.

The Queen also organises another surprise.

While out on patrol with his troop
Obsessed with book smex
Jun 22, 2012 Obsessed with book smex rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book! After I got past the first two pages (real world intrusions), I was completely sucked in.

Sapphire's situation was intriguing to me from the start. I still can't understand how two people (Gunther and Sapphire) can be intimate like that for five years and one still had no idea who the other truly was.

The queen's behavior was understandable. Her husband is neglecting her and his duties to while away his time in his favorite concubine's bed. I'm kind of surprised that
Niccisbookblog higginson
This story and plot was really good, a lot of chemistry from the get go with the hero and heroine that worked well, its electric as they struggle to contain their forbidden romance, the pages heat up whenever they are together.

There is plenty of action and twist and turns to keep the story flowing and lots and lots of sex scenes that are very explicit and well written, but i did feel at times it was just a little repetitive.

I got a little bored at the 60% mark with this one and the fantasy eleme
  • Pure Healing (Pure Ones, #1)
  • Marked: Warfare and Sin City
  • Alluring Tales: Hot Holiday Nights
  • Magic and Mayhem
  • Erotic Deception
  • Siren Song
  • The Devil's Masquerade: The Poison (The Devil's Eyes, #4)
  • Dark Harvest (Kismet Knight, Ph.D., Vampire Psychologist, #3)
  • Degrees of Wrong
  • The Promise of Love (Includes: Fast Track, #4.5; Shadow Stalkers, #1)
  • A Deadly Whisper (The Watchers, #1)
  • Her Old-Fashioned Boss
  • Breath of Fire
  • Blood Before Sunrise (Shaede Assassin, #2)
  • The Plus One Chronicles Boxed Set (The Plus One Chronicles, #1-3)
  • Prince of Ice (Tale of the Demon World, #3)
  • Wicked Reads
  • Crown of Crystal Flame (Tairen Soul, #5)
Livia Dare is the pseudonym of #1 New York Times and #1 international bestselling author Sylvia Day.
More about Livia Dare...

“Think with your other brain” 1 likes
“Oh hell." He gasped, his back arching, his balls drawing up painfully tight. "Don't make me come too quickly.” 1 likes