Start by marking “The Lost Continent of Mu” as Want to Read:
The Lost Continent of Mu

The Lost Continent of Mu (Kayıp Uygarlıklar #2)

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  179 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Mu was an immense continent covering nearly one-half of the Pacific Ocean. When she sank during volcanic destruction, fifty million square miles of water claimed her place. This vast continent and culture was the centre of civilisation some 25,000 years ago. This work presents the story of the author's search for the lost continent.
Paperback
Published August 9th 2007 by Adventures Unlimited Press (first published 1926)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Continent of Mu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Continent of Mu

Ruth
Sep 23, 2015 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, how to rate this one? On the one hand, it's a terrible book with terrible motives and terrible conclusions. On the other hand, as conspiracy/alt-history books go, it's pretty top-notch.

I think what really sells it is Churchward's utter confidence that what he's saying is correct and he's got hidden truths that only he has managed to piece together. The hilarity of reading his conclusions while knowing discoveries since or things he was ignoring at the time makes it a bit of a trip.

He does h
Derek
Jun 19, 2016 Derek rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think Churchward's conclusions, based on evidence of various nuttiness, reveal more about Churchward himself and his context than about any past civilization.
"One of the most startling discoveries is that the natives of the Polynesian groups of South Sea Islands are a white race. Further, they are an exceedingly handsome people, a link that joins perfectly the white races of the earth."(p. 49)
(And, apparently the blonde-white inhabitants of Mu (p. 37) sailed east to settle Scandinavia, somehow
ayca hande ergiturk
A rather interesting book.. It is very unfortunate that all we are left from the so said Land of Mu are a couple of hieratic lines on few manuscripts, tablets and carvings on the walls of the caves. With almost no solid physical evidence, it is so hard to convince people that once a developed and rich civilization lived with its 64 million inhabitants, where actually all Greek, Egyptian and Mayan civilizations came from. Before rejecting the plausibility of the existence of Mu, James Churchward' ...more
LeChuck
Es interesante ver como va desgranando resultados de investigaciones y como, con ello, va relacionando diversas civilizaciones que vivieron en épocas muy dispares, o en lugares muy distantes. Pena que frases tipo "Es lamentable, a pesar de ser un hecho notable, que muchos de nuestros científicos más importantes sean ateos, y por lo general hayan apoyado la teoría de la evolución...", le quiten parte de la poca credibilidad que posee.
Aún con esto, obviando toda la religión que lo envuelve, es una
Wreade1872
If James Churchward was alive today he'd be working for the History channel. This is his theory for a lost continent in the pacific and how all the ancient peoples of the world are linked to this lost country.
One of his great excuses is that the symbolic name for Mu is represented by 3 of something... not 3 of something in particular just 3 of anything. So he goes around the world looking at ancient drawings and writing and whenever he sees 3 of something says 'see they were talking about Mu arn
Jaime Enrique
Apr 28, 2014 Jaime Enrique rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overall I think he was accurate in that there was an ancient civilization. However, I think more research needs to be done in order to assert some of his claims. Like for example, his explanation of why the earth changed so rapidly into a mountainous region in South America doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But I think in a lot of everything else, he is pretty much right and is a very compelling argument.
Arda Keskinkılıç
Atatürk'ün üzerinde araştırma yaptığı kayıp kıta mu hakkında inanılmaz bilgilere ve verilere sahip bir kitap. bu kitabı okuduktan sonra bir yerlerde kaybolan bir kıtaya inancınız artacaktır.
Dan
The late 19th and early 20th century spawned a whole raftload of pseudoscientists, pseudohistorians and other flaky mystics/con artists that claimed to have exclusive access to the REAL! TRUE! SECRET! history of the earth and/or humanity's existence thereon.

Whether you're talking about Donnelly, Blavatsky, Cayce or Churchward, they all follow fairly strict genre guidelines. The author has exclusive, secret and completely unverifiable access to transmissions/secret documents/ancient relics that r
Brett
Jun 27, 2016 Brett rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Written at the turn of the century, "The Lost Continent of Mu" serves as an eerie fore-warning of "Ancient Aliens" celebrity Giorgio Tsoukalos. Churchward relentlessly pursues a recurring pattern of presenting a vague description of an interesting unsolved archeological mystery, then insisting that this therefore proves that there was an ancient continent located in the Pacific Ocean which was the motherland of all humanity and which sunk 15,000 years ago. By a
Godzilla
An interesting topic: the author asserts the existence of an ancient, advanced civilization, which sank into the Pacific, leaving small traces of its existence, such as Easter Island.
Having translated ancient tablets, there are fascinating comparisons between different religions and myths.
Then there are some hilarious attempts at explaining the geological background to the cataclysmic disappearance of Mu.
Despite the fundamental scientific flaws, I was left with some lingering questions: can ther
Anna
Jul 28, 2011 Anna rated it liked it
I am not sure what to say about this book. Some of his claims are quite intriguing however I am not in position to judge the connection between Ancent Egypt and Maya writings. However I am quite suspectful about the tablets that he says he found in India. His claims about the shift of continenets and poles are quite correct with today's findings.I did not like his language too much and finding a deity (god) in everything he read in those tablets.
Owen
Intriguing at times but not only controversial, extremely contentious and basically unreliable. Too many unsupported assertions and farfetched assumptions. A very opinionated author who is very keen on establishing his authority, if nothing else. The notion of a pre-Atlantean civilisation is intriguing, but this does not help the case much, in my opinion.
Spz0
Aug 08, 2008 Spz0 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. Its about the existence of a lost continent off the Pacific Rim called "Mu". Book was written in the early 1900's, and all the data was collected around that time.
Wizardeyes
Oct 18, 2010 Wizardeyes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: want-to-read
INTERESTING read. I haven't finished it yet...and sometimes I pick it up for a while and put it down for a few days...but I ALWAYS go back to it for more.
Sam Hendrick
Mar 19, 2008 Sam Hendrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the seekers of truth
real good facts put together but he was not that great aat presenting themhad to constantly reread sections to grasp the wholeness of the subject.
Ayse Sen
Kitaptaki tezlere inanmasanız bile Churchwardın inancı uğruna ömrünü harcamasına hayran kaldım.
Mick Glasgow
Interesting theory....his brother is Albert Churchward, both freemasons and controversial authors!
Köksal Kök
Kayıp Kıta Mu,
The Lost Continent of Mu,

James Churchward, 1931.
366 sayfa.
Kimberly
Will read more on Mu when I have the time.
Eric
Oct 29, 2013 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After second thought, I'm giving this five out of five stars, based on when it was written. Even though much of Churchward's work would be considered New Age mysticism by today's standards, his thinking on the origins and ancientness of civilization was revolutionary for its times. Keep in mind that when he was writing this, the antiquity of the human species itself, let alone that of civilization, was considered by many to be much less than what is commonly accepted today. Even now, some of his ...more
J.Erodimo
J.Erodimo marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Ash
Ash marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Mark
Mark added it
Jul 15, 2016
Rita McDowell
Rita McDowell is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2016
Delia Remington
Delia Remington marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Polaris
Polaris rated it did not like it
Jul 05, 2016
mybijoubox
mybijoubox marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Çağla Çizo
Çağla Çizo marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
william brown
william brown rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2016
  • Nikola Tesla Treasury, The
  • Lo!
  • My Sister and I (Updated, Including Last Letters)
  • Hamlet's Mill: An Essay Investigating  the Origins of Human Knowledge & Its Transmission Through Myth
  • Natural Law in the Spiritual World
  • Atlantis: The Antediluvian World
  • The Decline of the West, Vol 2: Perspectives of World History
  • The World's Last Mysteries
  • Flying Saucers: A Modern Myth of Things Seen in the Skies
  • The Gorgon and Other Beastly Tales
  • Das Energi
  • Saxo Grammaticus: The History of the Danes, Books I-IX: I. English Text; II. Commentary
  • Genghis Khan: Emperor of All Men
  • Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings: Evidence of Advanced Civilization in the Ice Age
  • Worlds in Collision
  • Medieval People
  • The Mosaic of Shadows (Demetrios Askiates, #1)
  • Life and Teaching Of The Masters Of The Far East
James Churchward is best known as a British born occult writer. However, he was also a patented inventor, engineer, and expert fisherman.

He was the elder brother of the Masonic author Albert Churchward (1852–1925.) He was a tea planter in Sri Lanka before coming to the US in the 1890s. In James' biography entitled My Friend Churchey and His Sunken Continent, he discussed Mu with Augustus LePlongeo
More about James Churchward...