The Very Fairy Princess Takes the Stage

The Very Fairy Princess Takes the Stage (The Very Fairy Princess)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Everyone's favorite fairy princess is back and just in time for her ballet recital in this new picture book addition to the Julie Andrews Collection. At first, when Gerry is cast as the Court Jester and not the Crystal Princess, she is dismayed -- nothing is pink and no one can see her crown under her silly jester hat! But just as the recital looks like it's headed for dis...more
Published May 3rd 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Very Fairy Princess Takes the Stage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Very Fairy Princess Takes the Stage

Lisa Vegan
Jul 26, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young girls who dance, like princesses, pink & purple; girly girls
I don’t remember the first book well except I remember I liked it, and I think I like this book even more. I adore Julie Andrews and her collaborations with her daughter are always of first rate quality, this book included. The illustratrations here are also excellent.

This is a wonderful story for girly girls, girls who like princesses & pink & dancing, and being the center of attention. The lessons of being a good sport, a good team member, and what it really means to be a real fairy pr...more
Kathryn
Not as good as the first, but still cute. This time, the "Very Fairy Princess" has to handle the disappointment of not being the star of the ballet performance and learns a good lesson about sharing and keeping her fairy princess sparkle no matter what. (Also, I like her supportive family, especially the brother; nice to see when so often there is animosity among siblings in picture books.)
Polly
Cute, but little more than that. And it's another princess book, sigh. Although admittedly with a little more substance and charm than many.
Angie
Cute. And a reminder that fairy princesses take all forms. They can let others sparkle.
Heavensent1
The Very Fairy Princess Takes The Stage is a children's picture book.

Geraldine believes she is a princess and not just a regular princess, but a fairy princess. On the day it's announced that her ballet class will be acting out the play, "The Crystal Princess", Gerry is positive she will be cast as the lead, after all, she has everything a good fairy princess would need!

However, things don't turn out the way that Gerry wants and she is cast as the Jester. Gerry is really disappointed but decides...more
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
The very fairy princess, Gerry, is excited when she learns that her ballet class is going to perform a ballet dance on stage! It was called “The Crystal Princess”, and Gerry knew she would make a PERFECT princess – she was a natural, of course.

Tiffany got the part. Gerry didn’t. Gerry got the part of the jester. With a silly hat, and shoes, and costume… And stick. Worst of all, Gerry has lost her sparkle. How can a fairy princess get her sparkle back?

My sister Josie LOVES these books. I have to...more
Dolly
Jul 27, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, childrens, dance
The team who brought us The Very Fairy Princess have given us another tale about a little girl with very big, sparkly dreams. We really liked the first story, and this one was good too, but I think it's losing its charm. Learning that not everyone can be the sparkly princess on stage, but that we can all make an important contribution is a good lesson for young children. But it just seemed a bit blah to me. I liked that the story included some tougher vocabulary words, like ebullient, and that t...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
This is such a delightful series and one my little girl adores. What's not to love about Gerry. She loves to dress up, do nice things for others, help people out and she enjoys letting her sparkle out when she sings and dances. She such a fun, relatable character to read about.

Gerry wants nothing more than to be the Crystal Princess, a coveted spot in her ballet class's up coming performance. When she loses it to Tiffany, and instead becomes the Jester, not surprisingly she becomes upset. But i...more
Margaret
Oct 11, 2012 Margaret rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Margaret by: Faye Bi
I loved The Very Fairy Princess and in general I love Julie Andrews and books covered in glitter! With it being pink and purple nothing could make it better except maybe the story within. It is so precious to teach a child that every part in a play or recital is special from the princess to the jester. I am so glad to have this one to share with my daughters. Even though this is not a religious book I think it will be a great one to help explain how every part of the Body of Christ is an importa...more
Rainey
Gerry the fairy princess is a stunning role model for boys and girls alike. Gerry believes that she can be whatever she believes she is, and that mentality should be universal. I loved this book.
Shannon
Yick. I guess you could like this if you enjoy scribbly illustrations coupled with a pretty pretty princess brat story.

Don't get me wrong, scribbly illustrations have their place (the art actually reminded me of David Small a little). Princess stories have their place too. But so many of these books are better executed than this one, and they never have the honor to top the New York Times bestseller list.

I did like the variety of students in the dance class (particularly the girl with the broken...more
Beverly
What I liked about the book: The illustrations are colorful and will appeal to young readers. I like that the story provides a message about what it means to be a good sport and team member without coming on too strong. Gerry is a good role model for young girls. She's not perfect, but she tries hard. It will be easy for readers to identify with her. Young girls who like princesses, fairies and the color pink will enjoy this book.

What I didn't like about this book: I liked it all.

Recommended for...more
carissa
"Everyone's favorite fairy princess is back and just in time for her ballet recital in this new picture book addition to the Julie Andrews Collection. At first, when Gerry is cast as the Court Jester and not the Crystal Princess, she is dismayed -- nothing is pink and no one can see her crown under her silly jester hat! But just as the recital looks like it's headed for disaster, our ever-energetic very fairy princess swoops in to save the day!" - product description

S.K.
Sure, it's another princess story, but that's what my kids like. I really enjoyed that the character was a jester and not a pretty princess in the play. The story had a nice twist and was a smooth read. I liked the princess guidelines included in parentheses. Quirky.

It could have ended a bit earlier than the standard bedtime just to be different, IMHO. It was another "drop-into-bed-my-world-is-perfect" type ending that is becoming too familiar.

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
“Hi! I’m Geraldine.

I’m a fairy princess.

I know that I’m a fairy princess
because I FEEL it inside---
a sparkly feeling of just KNOWING in my heart.”

Geraldine’s ballet class prepares for a big show and Geraldine is horribly disappointed to wear the jester costume instead of the sparkly crystal princess costume.

Geraldine is every pink princess girl in the world, full of spunk and with a desire to be sparklingly beautiful.
Amber
I actually really enjoy this book and the writing. My daughter loves princesses, but I don't. I really love that this book embraces little girls and their wish to be princesses, but without contributing to the negative culture that surrounds that type of thing. This book embraces individuality and quirkiness; too thing about my daughter that I also want her to embrace. It's a great read for little girls.
Kate
Cute but not one of the best I've read. It's a nice choice for 3-5 and the pictures are engaging. However, you get the feeling that this book may have been published because of the author's fame...I can't not love Julie Andrews though, I just can't!
Shelli
Geraldine is a fairy princess, she knows this because she feels in with every ounce of her being. So when her ballet class begins assigning roles for a play entitled: The Crystal Princess, Geraldine is certain she will get the lead role.
Gail
Jun 12, 2011 Gail added it
Shelves: children-s-books
A little girl doesn't get the part she wanted in a recital but she makes the best of it. I guess this is better for a child who can relate to this experience. My 3.5 year old, while obsessed with pink and dancing, was not captivated.
Samantha
These are very satisfying books. I think any fans of Fancy Nancy would enjoy these books as well. This book explores jealousy, embarrassment, and friendship very thoroughly and with success.
Katieb (MundieMoms)
My daughter adores this series! The story and the illustrations are simply adorable!

Reviewed on MKs' http://mundiekids.blogspot.com/2010/0...
Amy
Very fairy princess indeed. Julie Andrews does a good job, despite what one may think of the "fairy princess Disney-ification of little girls' culture."
Jessica
We liked this one, but I thought it was a little "wordy". My 5 year old didn't like it as much as the first one either.
Kathy Vincenz
Mediocre book. I wouldn't have read it unless it had been Julie Andrews.
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Loved this colorful picture book and its feel good ending.
Susan B
A cute story about pride, rejection, generosity and joy.
PWRL
Jul 08, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-new
SM
Damera Blincoe
Damera Blincoe marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Dame Julie Elizabeth Andrews Edwards, DBE is an award-winning English actress, singer, author and cultural icon. She is the recipient of Golden Globe, Emmy, Grammy, BAFTA, People's Choice Award, Theatre World Award, Screen Actors Guild and Academy Award honours. Andrews rose to prominence after starring in Broadway musicals such as My Fair Lady and Camelot, as well as musical films like Mary Poppi...more
More about Julie Andrews Edwards...
Mandy Home: A Memoir of My Early Years The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles The Very Fairy Princess Dragon: Hound of Honor