Start by marking “Once a Thief” as Want to Read:
Once a Thief

Once a Thief (Quinn/Thief #1)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,077 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
With a priceless collection at stake...Is everything for the taking?

It had taken centuries for Max Bannister’s family to acquire their treasures, and now he’s been asked to risk his collection as bait for a master criminal. For his own reasons, Max allows a public exhibition, and to protect the family fortune he must rely on the skills of his half brother—a world-class sec
Published (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Once a Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once a Thief

Jilly
Apr 11, 2012 Jilly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was okay though the description makes it sound liked it is a lot about Morgan and Quinn and while it is a bit about them I think it is really more about Storm and Wolfe (sounds like X-men but it isn't). The writing was good and it was interesting though it seems more like a set up for the next book which I suspect is actually about Morgan and Quinn.

I really liked Wolfe and Storm. They banter between them is wonderful. The relationship is a bit short do it seems a little far fetched but it was
Angel Pascoe
I got this book at the library again this month and was going along, thoroughly enjoying Quinn, Wolfe and Morgan and wondering why it was i never got to the sequel.
Then she appeared. The character Storm.
I don't know if she why she's so irritating...Maybe Ms. Hooper was trying to offset the way Quinn got the best of Morgan by having a female to get the best of Wolfe but so far she's annoying the heck out of me. I'm more for give and take with the sexes (which is why i prefer Tony/Ziva on NCIS rat
Sara
Jan 06, 2009 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, suspense, romance
A fun romp with some definite reaches when it comes to plausibility. A cat burglar and a museum collection chief... a match made in heaven?
Susan Bazzett-griffith
As I impatiently wait for the next SCU/Bishop novels, I've occasionally been grabbing older Kay Hooper books from the library, and this one and its sequel both came in this week. Only two stars because I am so NOT into museum heists as a plot line and I was bored to tears every time the story delved into security measures and whatnot. I was pleasantly surprised to like the characters and I can see Hooper's early writing style before it started to truly emerge into a great series writer, but the ...more
Amelia
Once A Thief is a read made interesting because of its characters. Kay Hooper weaves a story that has very real characters, all of them well-etched. Though the synopsis on the back on the book says it's Quinn and Morgan's story, it's the tumultuous relationship between Wolfe and Storm (both human characters, of course. Don't get thrown off by the names!!) that rules the story.

Quinn and Morgan meet a few times and there's a surprise at the end of the book, but their relationship will probably be
Gina
Apr 08, 2008 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally, I had purchased the second novel, Always a Thief, in hardcover for a really great deal - $5(CDN) brand new, straight from Coles. It sat on my TBR shelf for nearly a year because i have this incurable need to read series' and such books in order.

I finally managed to get my hands on this one without needing to order it, then felt this urgency to read it.

And I'm glad I did!

I thought the characters genuine and intuitive. I'm still trying to decide which was my fave and, laughingly, I'm l
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
This was a light-hearted and fun book, one I’d consider a pure entertainment read. I love heist stories, and this one is all about museum heists, with both the museum curator and the thief as main characters.

The book actually features two couples: Morgan and Quinn and Storm and Wolfe. There is more time spent on Storm and Wolfe, although the encounters between Morgan and Quinn are highly amusing when they do occur. While I liked all the characters, I thought there was more chemistry and depth be
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3 STARS

"It had taken centuries for Max Bannister's family to acquire their treasures, and now he's been asked to risk his collection as bait for a master criminal. For his own reasons, Max allows a public exhibition, and to protect the family fortune he must rely on the skills of his half brother--a world-class security expert--and his smart and savvy exhibit director, Morgan West.

But almost immediately, Morgan comes face-to-face with the mysterious Quinn, Interpol's most wanted thief for the pa
Drucilla
Jun 15, 2014 Drucilla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: h
First off, the description makes it seem like Morgan and Quinn are the main characters, but their story feels kind of secondary to Storm and Wolfe's. But because a good deal of time is spent on Morgan and Quinn, Storm and Wolfe's romance isn't really believable. It needed to be one or the other. Also, the "connection" Morgan and Quinn have comes off as a writer's convenience.
Heather
May 04, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book and the only reason I didn't give it five stars was that it could have used a little more focus/ development on the ACTUAL main couple; Storm and Wolfe. Lots of excitement and witty banter. Loved the characters, the plot, the dialogue. This book has it all.
Karen
Apr 15, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, so much so that I'm picking up the sequel from the library today. This was my first Kay Hooper book I look forward to reading more in the future. This book had a good mix of excitement, romance and suspense.
Chelsea Barker
May 14, 2013 Chelsea Barker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book so many times I love all of it. There are no slow parts, the characters are....I dunno... but all i can say about them is that I love them all and that none of them are so similar that you constantly get them confused, they each have a different and lovable background! I also love the storyline. Ok, Ok, I wouldn't rate it five star if i didn't like the storyline but I do like it anyway. When I first picked it up I thought alright, so here's a romance story where the girl fall ...more
Joyce McKune
Morgan was trying to get the security ready for a museum showing of rare gems but feared "Quinn", the notorious cat burglar was going to try to steal the gems.
Supraja
Great Plot, nice and well developed characters with funny and intriguing scenes, but I wish the author concentrated more on the possible theft. Instead it becomes more about Wolfe and Storm's affair and the secrets she hides from others. Admittedly, the book ends on a high note, leaving readers with lots of questions in mind about the Sequel. Yet, the wait to get there is tedious, with scenes that should have our hearts racing with anticipation for a theft rather becomes into a romantic moment b ...more
 Marla
Tina
Jul 16, 2014 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good one from Kay Hooper. I'm going to have to find the 2nd book. I'm dying to see how Quinn's story plays out.
Lise
Feb 18, 2015 Lise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh. This was a really fast read, but the writing just wasn't very exciting somehow. I can't put my finger on it...
Julie
Sep 08, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved the book. love Kay hooper. she draws you in and keeps you hooked til the very end.
Ramona Maynard
Nov 27, 2015 Ramona Maynard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked it very much. Her books seldom disappoint.
Mary
Jun 05, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little different than the Bishop series but still very good. Love the characters.
Angie crosby
Aug 13, 2008 Angie crosby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alex, thriller
awesome book. This is the first book about a mysterious Art thief, Quinn who's talent at art heists rivals none. A public exhibition of a famous art collection is a trap for quinn. The book takes place weeks before the art arrives at the exhibit as the security is beinf beefed up. The book ends, leaving me wanting to read the next one. Kept me reading and interested. Would read it again and recommend it.
Sue
Feb 24, 2013 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-suspense
More like 3.5, the thief Quinn is by far the most intriguing part of the story. unfortunately we are left unresolved but hooked on reading the next in the series. what lowered this rating was the 'couple'' didn't meet until a third of the way in. they were a fun couple a little more time building them up would have been advisable. But will continue the series for Quinn and Morgan.
Joan
Mar 01, 2012 Joan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I am looking forward to reading the next one. I just know that I am going to be disappointed if Kay Hooper doesn't give Quinn and Morgan more time together in the next one. Storm and Wolfe were definitley not just secondary characters in this books. I hope that the next books will be Quinn and Morgan's adventure.
Kat
Sep 05, 2011 Kat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I found this book during a recent used bookstore excursion, and it came home with me because I've owned the sequel for years and enjoyed it. So little is resolved in this book, however, that I'm not sure it was worth the bother. This book and its sequel really should have been published as one novel, as this book is mostly setup for the next one.
Kemi looves 2 read
I guess I'm simply used to the books by Kay Hooper which are thrillers/suspense with her psychic investigators. I found the story line in this book to be a bit busy, drawn out and confusing - an unstoppable cat burglar, interpol, thievery, romance, blackmail, etc in San Fran. I skipped some parts just to see how it ended.
Kerry  sullivan
OK I only got as far as page 40 of this book and I have found I am not interested in any of the people and really dont care if the nice jewellery get stolen or not. I think some of it is that I have the large print version and it makes the book feel slower in pace but the end result is the same, I give up.
May 08, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read with a group interesting characters. I see this book as being more of an introduction to the next novel in the series, Always a Thief. It would have made sense for the two books to have been combined and published as one, but if you read them back to back, the story is virtually seamless.
Julie (J.P.) Pardy
Sep 14, 2013 Julie (J.P.) Pardy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I haven't read a book I didn't like from Kay Hooper. I liked this one as well. My only complaint is that even though it does stop at a good spot, you do need to read the next book to finish (or I hope) the story. So my advice would be to have both on hand so you don't have to wait.
Anita
Sep 08, 2012 Anita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. Must read Always a Thief to finish to finish the story. Master thief, Quinn, comes to San Francisco to steal the Bannister collection, but gets his heart stolen instesd. Suprise, but the romance is this book is not Quinn and Morgan. Sex scenes are of the cozy variety.
  • And Then You Die
  • Killing Kelly (Soap Opera #3)
  • Lucky's Lady (Doucet, #2)
  • The Morning After (Savannah #2)
  • All the Queen's Men (CIA Spies, #2)
  • The Color of Death
  • Colder than Ice (Mordecai Young, #2)
  • Crazy Wild (Steele Street, #3)
  • Cut and Run
Kay Hooper was born in California, in an air force base hospital since her father was stationed there at the time. The family moved back to North Carolina shortly afterward, so she was raised and went to school there.
The oldest of three children, Kay has a brother two years younger and a sister seven years younger. Her father and brother are builders who own a highly respected construction compan
More about Kay Hooper...