Start by marking “Managing Up Managing Up Managing Up” as Want to Read:
Managing Up Managing Up Managing Up

Managing Up Managing Up Managing Up

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Everyone has a boss. And anyone who has aspired to move up the corporate ladder knows that their relationship with those they report to is crucial. In "Managing Up" Rosanne Badowski offers astraightforward, entertaining, no-holds-barred account of what it takes to make your relationship with your boss work to your advantage, no matter where you stand in the corporate hiera ...more
Published March 18th 2003 by Broadway Business (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Managing Up Managing Up Managing Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Managing Up Managing Up Managing Up

Heathercheryl Stevenson
This book was a tremendous help to me even a few years after I became an personal assistant to an executive. I enjoyed her engaging style and found the book to be an excellent crash course in managing the relationship. It was like having a girlfriend in the "same boat!" Personal assistant to Jack Welch for many years, she gave good insight into the personality of a dynamic executive and how to work with one. "Everyone is a manager no matter where you stand in the corporate heirarchy."
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Managing Up by Rosanne Badowski

Mostly a common sense book on management. And as non-fiction, since it didn't put me to sleep - a good tool for new managers, secretaries, staff, and students.
Rosanne divided the book into chapters like Prepardness, Humor, and Common sense. Each chapter tells a short story or event to support the theme and each chapter ends with relevant bullet points.
I'm very impressed by this Executive Assistant. My guess is that she cold run her own Fortune 100 company with ease
Eric
Brisk overview on the author's tenure as Jack Welch's personal assistant. A fun read, at times inspiring and good anecdotal approach to learning (and fostering learning). While Welch sounds like a challenging man to work with from the book, he also sounds like an easy many to admire in the work...

If you are a fan of the Manager Tools podcast, this will be familiar, but useful in the retelling, territory.
Mandy
This book told the lessons in stories, which didn't work for me. I wanted strategies and pointers for managing up. I would end up skimming most of the irrelevant stories I couldn't glean anything from and then skip to the one-liner lessons. Granted this is something that's hard to teach but I guess I was hoping for more from this. I agree with other reviewers in that its usefulness might depend on what job role you have.
Monica
A clear concise advice book on how to get things done when you work for a guy that "gets things done" on a global level. Badowski offer candid stories of how she learned on the job, made mistakes, read her bosses mind, and accomplished daily tasks in a way that fit his routine and made his achievements her own. She does not back down from digging in the trash to know what items he decided against and she would go out of her way to make sure the people who worked under her boss were prepared for ...more
Belal Khan
Excellent book that clearly outlines the idea of leading and managing those above you in a company. This is a must read for all young professionals.

Regardless of where you are on the corporate ladder, leading and managing folks is about building relationships, which as this book outlines by having; chemistry, trust, confidence, impatience (yes, im-patience), energy, resilience, a sense of humor, common sense, preparedness, adaptability and behavioral flexibility, fairness, clear communication,
Marcus Sizemore
This book is wonderful for those of us who are just starting out in the business world or often wonder if our "bosses" are making the right decisions. Things I took away from this book: trust and openness is more important than anything. Teamwork is vital for the success of a company. It also delves into Six Sigma which I really would like to know more about in the future.

I loved the anecdotes and short stories included and the advice given to help others succeed.
Andrew
Written by Jack Welch's executive assistant, this book has a great deal of interesting GE/Jack Welch anecdotes; but the business message wasn't anything new or truly entertaining. Additionally, many of the "managing up" tips were more tailored to administrative assistants than mid-level managers themselves. Overall I was not impressed with the book, but was impressed with the author and her ability to work for Welch so smoothly.
Katie
Even though the author touts that anyone can benefit from reading this book, it's hard to ignore the administrative slant. Many pages were dedicated to how well she helped Jack Welch with administrative tasks, emphasis on tasks. In the end, I just didn't get out of it what I was seeking -- how to manage up when already in a director/middle management role.
Jamie Duncan
Rosanne was an amazing assistant. She gave her all to her job, and through this book has simplified the concepts that made her successful. She gives valuable insights on how to be the best team player, and how to help those around you succeed as a result of your efforts. Jack Welch was VERY fortunate to have her.
Chris
Rosanne Badowski describes her working relationship with Jack Welck. For 15 years she served as his chief admin. The stories are entertaining and--in most cases--point toward the kinds of dynamics/tensions that make for a healthy exec/admin partnership. I identified many passages I want to share with our staff.
Margaret Muir
Managing Up was interesting for the first half of the book. Rosanne lost me in the second half though. I felt like she was just tacking on stories about Jack Welch that she wanted to include, but didn't really have anything to do with managing up. It was a struggle to finish.
Gayle
I was generally disappointed by this book. It's more a memoir book from Jack Welsh's executive assistant, and less a 'helpful tips' book. If you loved Jack Welsh than you might enjoy hearing what it was like to work for him. Otherwise, I'd pass.
Jessica
Aug 17, 2009 Jessica rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: legal administrative assistants, executive assistants
Recommended to Jessica by: Colette, my supervisor
This book was recommended to me by my supervisor. The author, Rosanne, has some great tips on becoming an invaluable assistant. This is an excellent resource/survival guide for any assistant.
Graham
Saw the author of the book in an interesting DVD on leadership. She writes entertainingly, and I enjoyed the insider description of life "at the top" of one of the world's largest corporations.
She was a good writer, and has interesting experiences to talk about. But it was written as advice that isn't entirely useful to someone in my role.
Lori Grant
A should-read book on middle management for knowledge workers, managers, executives, and entrepreneurs.
Shauna
It was okay, not great. It did have some good ideas, but it wasn't what I hoped for in this book.
Francesca
The tips in this book helped me cope with a dysfunctional boss.
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Arti Srivastava
Arti Srivastava marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Dominica
Dominica is currently reading it
May 07, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Christine Carlson
Christine Carlson marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Lisa McCasline
Lisa McCasline is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2015
Yekaterina
Yekaterina marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
  • Career Warfare: 10 Rules for Building a Successful Personal Brand and Fighting to Keep It
  • Speak Like a CEO: Secrets for Commanding Attention and Getting Results: Secrets for Communicating Attention and Getting Results
  • A Single Square Picture
  • Negotiate This!: By Caring, But Not T-H-A-T Much
  • Mama's Boy, Preacher's Son: A Memoir
  • There's No Such Thing as "Business" Ethics: There's Only One Rule for Making Decisions
  • Questions of Character: Illuminating the Heart of Leadership Through Literature
  • Ask For It: How Women Can Use the Power of Negotiation to Get What They Really Want
  • Own the Room: Discover Your Signature Voice to Master Your Leadership Presence
  • A Sense of Urgency
  • The Words of Gandhi
  • Fowl Weather
  • Rule Number Two: Lessons I Learned in a Combat Hospital
  • Twitter Power: How to Dominate Your Market One Tweet at a Time
  • Active Liberty: Interpreting Our Democratic Constitution
  • The Carrot Principle: How the Best Managers Use Recognition to Engage Their People, Retain Talent, and Accelerate Performance
  • Never Check E-Mail In the Morning: And Other Unexpected Strategies for Making Your Work Life Work
  • Forever Lily: An Unexpected Mother's Journey to Adoption in China