Start by marking “Jimmy Zangwow's Out-of-this-world Moon Pie Adventure” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Jimmy Zangwow's Out-of...

Tony DiTerlizzi

Jimmy Zangwow's Out-of-this-world Moon Pie Adventure

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  21 reviews

Jimmy Zangwow loves his Moon Pies. His mom holds the key to the Moon Pie stash, though -- and she says no treats before dinner! If only Jimmy could fly to the moon to get his own Moon Pies...

How far would you go to get your favorite snack?

Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published March 1st 2000 by Recorded Books (first published 2000)

Be the first to ask a question about Jimmy Zangwow's Out-of-this-world Moon Pie Adventure

Isabel
I love this book. It is one that I read repeatedly to my son when he was between the ages of four and seven. Each of the characters are well created and it was easy to read it aloud and assign voices to each one because they are so distinct. In some ways you might compare this to Where the Wild Things Are, as a boy leaves his home for adventure but discovers that ultimately, home is his ultimate chosen destination. The pictures are marvelous, the plot is sweet, the character interaction is belie ...more
Natalie Cottam
i just love a very out-of-this world, crazy-imaginative story! this is a cute one.
(NS)Jennifer Reiner
Jimmy Zangwow loves Moon Pies and milk but his mother will not let him have one before dinner. Jimmy is upset, and stomps off. He goes to his secret project-a flying junk jumbilee jalopy. Jimmy is wishing that he could have more moon pies and the next thing he knows the machine starts to rattle and he is taking off toward the sky! He lands at the moon and is given a thousand Moon Pies. Jimmy then has a run in with the Grimble Grinder and saves the day by giving him his last moon time. Jimmy is w ...more
N_Allie l
When a book starts with the phrase, "never abandon imagination" it instantly captures my attention. It's too bad in this case because that saying was the best part of the whole book. While the watercolor, gouache and colored pencil illustrations are enthralling , the text itself leaves something to the imagination.

Written and illustrated by Tony DiTerlizzi (yes, the same author of The Spider Wick Chronicles), this fantastical tale is surprisingly all about Moon Pies. The story starts out simply
Tracy
This is the perfect book for a Mystery Reader to share with a K-2nd grade classroom. Important that you bring a box of Moon Pies to share with the class.

Amazon.com Review

Jimmy Zangwow is bound and determined to get his hands on his favorite snack: Moon Pies and milk. After his mother refuses his pre-dinner request, Jimmy stomps off to sulk aboard his secret project, a flying junk jumbilee jalopy. "Holy macaroni!" The next thing he knows he's hurtling off to space, toward the moon... and "Mmm!
Amy Musser
All Jimmy Zangwow wanted was some milk and a Moon Pie, but his mother said no, it would ruin his dinner. So Jimmy went outside to sit in his secret project and suddenly it began to fly into outer space! Jimmy adventures took him to the Moon, to the Milky Way, and to Mars where he met the Mars Men and the grumbling, rumbling, Grimble Grinder. Does Jimmy get to eat a Moon Pie? And, more importantly, will he make it home for dinner?

DiTerlizzi’s painterly illustrations are reminiscent of a Norman Ro
Amanda
Children will love Jimmy's out of this world adventure. Jimmy loves moon-pies, but cannot have one right before dinner. His imagination takes him on a trip through outer space in search of his favorite snack....Moon Pies and Milk.
Julia Grace
The story of this book will probably delight children who are constantly making up fanciful tales that jump from one thing to the next, or those who love outer space. However, it left me somewhat disappointed, despite its occasional clever idea. It lacked a bit of substance and development. It was quite prettily illustrated though with colorful landscapes on full bleed pages. The moon character was my favorite with his star bedecked hat and red nose. It got that third star for the illustrations ...more
Sara K.
Sci-Fi

The kids also loved this one. I had a student who loved the name Jimmy Zangwow and he keeps mentioning him in his writing, even now when I am back-dating this review in November. This is a cute tale of a search for a favorite dessert. And it is extra fun for me now that I have been to the Moon-pie factory. This was recommended by a colleague of mine who would send it to her nieces and nephews with a case of Moon-pies!
Snorkle
This was a very whimsical story that had me smiling on more then one occasion. Tony DiTerlizzi always adds little details to his illustrations that make it so much brighter, more real, and I just love his characters. A crazy adventure staring Moon-Pies, Aliens, and cowboy boots, check it out.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
liz r
Dec 25, 2007 liz r rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids and parents
I love this book. Joey just got it for x-mas and it is a great kids book. Any book that has a character who says, "holy macaroni" and "jumping june bugs" is a friend of mine. Joey laughs a lot at the part where Jimmy flies to the moon to ask him for some moon pies and the moon doesn't understand what he is saying. "Fruit Flies?" asks the moon... "No... MOON PIES!" replies Jimmy....very funny.
Jamie
This book takes you on an adventure with Jimmy. There are fun invented words and great illustrations. This would be interesting to read while children are drawing and then to show the illustrations. That would also help with comprehension.
Paul  Hankins
I don't know about the story except for this one is really bent on a sense of nostalgia. The illustrations really pull the whole thing together for me. I would ladder this one up with Rocca's MOONPOWDER.
Amy Jensen
My daughter has liked this book since she was 2 and ever since she read it she mentions that the moon has cheese in its ears. It definitely added to her obsession with the moon!
Connie
the story is simple, the artwork is spectacular. This is all about the depths of a child's imagination...does that still exist in today's video-game focused society?
Diana
Fun book, great memories . . . read it with one of my little brothers!
McKinley Library
How far would you travel for your favorite dessert?
Partridge Public
May 20, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jear
JEAR2-DiT
Adrian Guerra
Adrian Guerra marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
  • In the Haunted House
  • Trashy Town
  • The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot
  • If the Shoe Fits
  • Commotion in the Ocean (Picture Books)
  • My Name Is Sangoel
  • Is There Really a Human Race?
  • Dog Food
  • I'm a Manatee: I'm a Manatee
  • Crictor
  • Cowlick!
  • The Little Bit Scary People
New York Times bestselling author and illustrator, Tony DiTerlizzi, has been creating books for over a decade. From his fanciful picture books like "Jimmy Zangwow’s Moon Pie Adventure", "Ted" and "The Spider & The Fly" (a Caldecott Honor book), to chapter books like "Kenny and The Dragon" and the WondLa trilogy, Tony always imbues his stories with a rich imagination. With Holly Black, he creat ...more
More about Tony DiTerlizzi...
The Search for WondLa (WondLa, #1) Kenny and the Dragon A Hero For WondLa (WondLa, #2) The Battle For WondLa (WondLa, #3) The Spiderwick Chronicles Box Set (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1-5)