Start by marking “Epub Straight to the Point: Creating eBooks for the Apple iPad and Other Ereaders” as Want to Read:

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Almost overnight, EPUB has become the favored standard for displaying digital text on ereaders. The EPUB specification is a powerful method for creating gorgeous ebooks for EPUB-capable readers such as the iPad, Nook, and Kindle. Alas, it is far from perfect, with frustrating limitations, sketchy documentation, and incomplete creation tools. This extensively researched gui ...more
Published July 28th 2010 by Peachpit Press

To ask other readers questions about Epub Straight to the Point, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Epub Straight to the Point

Elisabeth
I like the detailed instructions in this book.
Bob Hole
A highly useful book. Well written in a straightforward style. Well indexed too, I use it regularly as a reference.

It's not in depth, but it gets you up and running in no time. Easily translates to multiple platforms too.
Alessandro Pellizzari
Potevano intitolarlo "Making eBooks for iBooks with InDesign on the Mac".

A parte un inutile capitolo che accenna a come fare con Word (con 20 pagine di screenshot delle impostazioni di Word), l'80% del resto dice semplicemente "fatelo con InDesign, poi potete correggerlo col mio libro "XHTML vattelapesca". Ricordate che per vederlo su iBooks su iPad questi sono i css supportati, queste le dimensioni delle immagini e che avete tot pixel a disposizione".

Tenta di salvarsi con l'ultimo capitolo che
Ken
Nov 21, 2012 Ken rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ken by: John Rodzvilla
This book is about only one thing: formatting EPUB files. It assumes you have already finished your manuscript and are ready to export it from Microsoft Word or Adobe InDesign (CS4 or CS5), then walks you through all the edits and changes necessary to produce an EPUB file. It is a very practical guide, but also very narrow in its focus. It also predates the release of the iBooks Author program, though this book's author promises updates on her Web site.
Cara
101 kludges to make ebooks look pretty on the iPad, which is apparently riddled with maddening stupid quirks in its ereader. Ugh. Don't think I'll be doing this, but if I ever have to, this book is very clear and detailed.

p. 96 xhtml header
p. 110 the manifest, the spine
p. 114 document for cover
p. 156 controlling header position
p. 164 indents, short lines
Jamie
Someone helpful but not a beginner's book. Her follow-up book is not complete without having read this first, and even then I had some questions. But such is the way with technology that keeps progressing. I at least appreciated some real-world help for those of us who want to figure eBook publication out.
Wayne
another excellent work by Elizabeth Castro. She has long been one of my favorite authors of technical books. I highly recommend this to anyone writing, or planning to write, and eBook.
Meril
Unrated because I did not actually make an EPUB file successfully; instructions are geared almost exclusively to users of Word and InDesign creating ebooks for iPad/iPhone apps.
Patti Ryan
Studied this how-to manual, but not ready to actually use the information. But looks solid.
Rob Mcbride
Liz Castro is the best for ebook creation. See her blog "Pigs, Gourds, and Wikis".
Vivek Samria
Vivek Samria marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Dawn
Dawn added it
Jan 04, 2015
Charlotte Harper
Charlotte Harper is currently reading it
Oct 27, 2014
J M
J M marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Lisa Hughes
Lisa Hughes marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Studied Spanish, Catalan, and Basque at University of Pennsylvania and University of California at Berkeley. Moved to Barcelona in 1987, found job in computer company translating documentation and software. Started Página Uno in 1990: publisher of Mac related books in Spanish. Moved back to US in 1993 to edit 5th edition of The Macintosh Bible. Wrote first edition of HTML Visual QuickStart Guide i ...more
More about Elizabeth Castro...
HTML, XHTML, and CSS (Visual Quickstart Guide) HTML for the World Wide Web (Visual QuickStart Guides) HTML 5 and CSS3 (Visual QuickStart Guide) XML for the World Wide Web: Visual QuickStart Guide Perl & CGI for the World Wide Web: Visual Quick- Start Guide